PDA

View Full Version : Trent edwards signs with raiders

buffalobillsfan95
07-30-2011, 08:32 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/raiders-sign-trent-edwards-and-khalif-barnes-after-gaither-deal-falls-apart/

better days
07-30-2011, 10:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/raiders-sign-trent-edwards-and-khalif-barnes-after-gaither-deal-falls-apart/

Training Camp fodder.

justasportsfan
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Training Camp fodder.

was thinking about that but lets not forget he does very well at camp.

Bert102176
07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
following JP's footsteps

Buffalo Thriller
07-30-2011, 11:27 PM
was thinking about that but lets not forget he does very well at camp.

He does well when the defense plays 2 hand touch.

Thurmal
07-30-2011, 11:34 PM
I'd like to see him get another shot. He was a good prospect who was ruined, I believe, by Jauron's "play not to lose" mentality.

I remember in '08 when he threw that game-winner to Hardy in Jacksonville thinking, then got a concussion, only to come back and beat a VERY talented San Diego team, and thinking, "FINALLY, we have a quarterback!"

Extremebillsfan247
07-31-2011, 04:07 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/raiders-sign-trent-edwards-and-khalif-barnes-after-gaither-deal-falls-apart/Oakland is a good fit for him. Good luck to him.

djjimkelly
07-31-2011, 04:20 AM
I'd like to see him get another shot. He was a good prospect who was ruined, I believe, by Jauron's "play not to lose" mentality.

I remember in '08 when he threw that game-winner to Hardy in Jacksonville thinking, then got a concussion, only to come back and beat a VERY talented San Diego team, and thinking, "FINALLY, we have a quarterback!"

sort of like jp was

hes half the prospect JP was but i do agree he also was ruined

YardRat
07-31-2011, 06:00 AM
"Just win, baby."

BillsFever21
07-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Then he should have fit in perfect with Jauron's play not to lose mentality. Edwards played like a scared little girl on the field and would just dink and dunk. He didn't have the guts to play like a normal QB and take chances. You could tell that just by the difference after Fitzpatrick took over. He made Fitzpatrick look like an MVP candidate.

better days
07-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Then he should have fit in perfect with Jauron's play not to lose mentality. Edwards played like a scared little girl on the field and would just dink and dunk. He didn't have the guts to play like a normal QB and take chances. You could tell that just by the difference after Fitzpatrick took over. He made Fitzpatrick look like an MVP candidate.

He played the same way last year for the Jags as he played for the Bills. That probably explains why he is no longer a Jag.

acehole
07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I think trent was ruined when he had a welcome to the nfl hit....

he played like more scared after...if that is even possible...

sort of like jp was

BillsFever21
07-31-2011, 06:01 PM
He played the same way last year for the Jags as he played for the Bills. That probably explains why he is no longer a Jag.

Exactly. That's just the way he played. He was scared to be out there. I could see it from his rookie season. It took way too many people to realize it though. Both in the organization and especially on this board.

He was afraid of getting hit which probably had to to with the fact he was like a china doll. Dating back to college and then when he reached the NFL he never finished an entire season without getting injured and missing games. He will be out of the league within a couple more years most likely.

Mike
07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

I think you might be a little biased

Mike
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
JP was better in college and was one of those high risk high reward type of players.
I don't think he would of have made it no matter who he played for or who his coach/team was. There are certain elements of the game that he absolutely lacks in such as: presence/awareness, leadership take charge qualities, metal aspects of the game such as reading defenses, timing, accuracy, making good decisions, etc... These flaws were even evident in his sting with UFL. Lastly, him not being picked up by any team NFL team after leaving Buffalo speaks volumes of what other NFL scouts and GMs thought of his abilities. Not even picked up for 3rd string or practice squad!

Bert102176
07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
JP was having a good year for us till TY Warren cheap shotted JP's Knee he wasn't the same after thatseemed to be always affraid.

Mike
07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Trent, had a great high school career and was consider the top QB prospect in the nation and as a childhood dream he took his talents to Stanford. There, playing behind an awful line and with marginal talent his abilities were still quite noticeable. On the downside, he was very injury prone suffering from injuries on a regular basis. If he was on a better team there is no doubt that he could have been one of the top 3 QB taken that draft. If you look at that draft, he still might be the best QB.

His NFL career started by him showing glimpses of what might be. His accuracy, ability to read defenses, decision making, awareness, was great for a rookie. He showed flashes playing behind an awful offensive line and with marginal talent. This all ended shortly after being concussed in AZ. His injuries problems grew as did his fear of the rush which did him in. Now he is no more than a "what could have been?"

Overall, I think that he ended up in a place like New England, Philadelphia, Green Bay, etc... teams that know how to develop QBs, I think he could have been very special. He could of been a poor mans Montana. However, I don't think he had the durability to ever be great. His ceiling was cut short by this one major weakness. He could have become the type of QB that could take you to the Super Bowl only to be injured on the First Snap of the Game.

sdbillsfan2
07-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Sorry, but I don't see him making it even if he had the best coaching. He lacks one of the greatest assets any player must have. Montana, Kelly,Elway, etc all had what can't be taught. Heart ! The special ones were born with it Some have talent and no heart , some all heart and not enough talent.
The HOF is loaded with those who had both. I think the other players around him figured that out. Trentative lack heart.
JMO

better days
08-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Trent, had a great high school career and was consider the top QB prospect in the nation and as a childhood dream he took his talents to Stanford. There, playing behind an awful line and with marginal talent his abilities were still quite noticeable. On the downside, he was very injury prone suffering from injuries on a regular basis. If he was on a better team there is no doubt that he could have been one of the top 3 QB taken that draft. If you look at that draft, he still might be the best QB.

His NFL career started by him showing glimpses of what might be. His accuracy, ability to read defenses, decision making, awareness, was great for a rookie. He showed flashes playing behind an awful offensive line and with marginal talent. This all ended shortly after being concussed in AZ. His injuries problems grew as did his fear of the rush which did him in. Now he is no more than a "what could have been?"

Overall, I think that he ended up in a place like New England, Philadelphia, Green Bay, etc... teams that know how to develop QBs, I think he could have been very special. He could of been a poor mans Montana. However, I don't think he had the durability to ever be great. His ceiling was cut short by this one major weakness. He could have become the type of QB that could take you to the Super Bowl only to be injured on the First Snap of the Game.

Well, New England, Philadelphia, Green Bay could have got him now on the cheap & resurrected his career. N.E. & Philly are teams known for taking chances & resurrecting careers but they could not be bothered with Trent LOL.

acehole
08-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Some just wanted to ignore history...they had an idea as to what he was/is and no amount of logic or facts could persuade them. Kind of like politics. ....but I digress. Saying in poker "scared money never makes money"...and Trent was scared back there....once the defense has your head you are done...smart as some said he was...couldnt overcome that. Light went off as fast as it came on....I wish him luck as he needs a ton.

Exactly. That's just the way he played. He was scared to be out there. I could see it from his rookie season. It took way too many people to realize it though. Both in the organization and especially on this board.

He was afraid of getting hit which probably had to to with the fact he was like a china doll. Dating back to college and then when he reached the NFL he never finished an entire season without getting injured and missing games. He will be out of the league within a couple more years most likely.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
He should be bagging groceries, because his brain's shot now. Even his college degree's useless because of the damage he's sustained.

trapezeus
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
i've never seen those raider fans that are dressed up in shoulder pads cry, but they will once they see trent check down in a close game on 4 adn 8 with a 2 yard screen...