PDA

View Full Version : Lofa Tatupu to be released

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:15 AM
"After Seahawks asked LB Lofa Tatupu to take a paycut, he asked them to release him. The team now plans to do so, albeit reluctantly."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/97669767736999936

28 and a very good player. Do you like him better than Barnett?

Canadian'eh!
07-31-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd put him above Burnett.

YardRat
07-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Bigger than Barnett, but coming from a 43 defense not a 34.

If we're adding any vet, IMO it should be somebody with 34 experience, and even more preferably one who has called the shots before.

I'd be very OK with a LB corps of Merriman-Exp.Vet-Sheppard-Moats.

ParanoidAndroid
07-31-2011, 09:22 AM
He immediately goes to the top of the list of available ILB's. This is the answer, right here. This dude is solid.

Someone get Nix's attention..... Look, Buddy! Look!

BloFan4Life
07-31-2011, 09:23 AM

If we're adding any vet, IMO it should be somebody with 34 experience, and even more preferably one who has called the shots before.

He played a Hybrid like Carroll did in USC. It was not uncommon to see both Tatupu and Curry in the middle at the same time. Also, he realy isn't a vet. 28 years old has 5 good years left.

ParanoidAndroid
07-31-2011, 09:23 AM

He would beabolutely fine!

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:24 AM

I'd be very OK with a LB corps of Merriman-Exp.Vet-Sheppard-Moats.Joe B from WGR just pointed out he's coming off dual knee surgeries. Maybe he coudl be had for cheap?

Tatupu, Barnett, Davis, and Shepp would be a serious commitment to stopping the run. But I don't see them adding 2 MLB's.

I think it's Barnett's spot to lose.

ddaryl
07-31-2011, 09:25 AM
He has some knee issues

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/421986/lofa-tatupu

Tatupu has surgery on both knees: The Seahawks announced LB Lofa Tatupu (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/421986/lofa-tatupu) had successful arthroscopic surgery on both knees Thursday. He dealt with knee issues for most of the 2010 season -- often sitting out of Wednesday practices -- but should be okay to start the 2011 campaign.

but he still managed to play all 16 games the last 3 seasons

YardRat
07-31-2011, 09:25 AM
He played a Hybrid like Carroll did in USC. It was not uncommon to see both Tatupu and Curry in the middle at the same time. Also, he realy isn't a vet. 28 years old has 5 good years left.

He's been in the league, what, seven seasons? That's not a vet?

He would beabolutely fine!

I'll take your word for it, I guess.

Ingtar33
07-31-2011, 09:30 AM
"After Seahawks asked LB Lofa Tatupu to take a paycut, he asked them to release him. The team now plans to do so, albeit reluctantly."

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/97669767736999936

28 and a very good player. Do you like him better than Barnett?
best LB available. we'd be fools not to go after him... personally i'd love to sign both him and Barnett. that would give our defense a new look

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:34 AM
best LB available. we'd be fools not to go after him... personally i'd love to sign both him and Barnett. that would give our defense a new lookI'd love it too. I just don't see it. Not a typical Bills move.

But yes, I'd love to have Barnett and Tatupu to start until Shepp earns the starting job. And Davis, a guy I like a lot, is really just a vet backup at this point. Smart teams make moves like this.

Ingtar33
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd love it too. I just don't see it. Not a typical Bills move.

But yes, I'd love to have Barnett and Tatupu to start until Shepp earns the starting job. And Davis, a guy I like a lot, is really just a vet backup at this point. Smart teams make moves like this.

bingo. no confidence in our FO to do it. it makes too much sense.

Mahdi
07-31-2011, 09:40 AM
best LB available. we'd be fools not to go after him... personally i'd love to sign both him and Barnett. that would give our defense a new look
I agree it would make us solid right away but getting two ILBs would also stunt the growth of Shepp and Chris White who I think the Bills see as starters sooner rather than later.

Really, if you put a good DL in front of two young, hungry ILBs like Shepp and White it could work out really nicely.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree it would make us solid right away but getting two ILBs would also stunt the growth of Shepp and Chris White who I think the Bills see as starters sooner rather than later.

Really, if you put a good DL in front of two young, hungry ILBs like Shepp and White it could work out really nicely.What type of play do you get on the field when a rookie is "growing"?

We should want to win every game. Winning should be more important than developing your youth.

Let them earn it.

mikemac2001
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Really cool guy

Met him at a probowl party his 2nd or 3rd year would love to sign him

YardRat
07-31-2011, 09:46 AM
It's possible to win and develop youth at the same time. Really, it is.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:47 AM
It's possible to win and develop youth at the same time. Really, it is.How's that worked for us so far?

ParanoidAndroid
07-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm not one of these people who go crazy over every other player who gets cut, but this time, I will. This dude will make the defense better. He's good in traffic and diagnoses plays as well as any LB in the league.

Mahdi
07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
How's that worked for us so far?
I think it will be Andra Davis and a vet FA to start the year with the young guys getting time here and there until they outperform the vets.

Getting two more vets though makes it too tough for them to get on the field. Yes we should be winning games but this roster has to take shape also with the young guys as the core.

ddaryl
07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
If we bring in Burnett we won't bring in a Tatupu.. We are going to give our drafted guys a chance to play and develop...

That was the plan the moment Nix signed on.. he said it last year he's said it this year.. We will not build through FA....

Bringing in FA's may make a marginal difference in the team short term but in the long run we've seen how it can also set a team back.. See Dockery and Walker...

We will have a good idea on how Nix's 1st draft went as this year rolls on. If we see improved contributions from 50% of the people in last years draft will people actually start to believe in the philosophy.. or will we forever need instant FA gratification and hope we can do a 1 year turnaround ?

1 9(9) Spiller, C.J. RB

2 9 (41) Troup, Torell DT

3 8 (72) Carrington, Alex DE

4 9 (107) Easley, Marcus WR

5 9 (140) Wang, Ed OT

6 9 (178) Moats, Arthur DE

6 23 (192) Batten, Danny DE

7 2 (209) Brown, Levi QB

7 9 (216) Calloway, Kyle (not on the roster)

I know people want that instant gratification... but the plan is for the next few years is develop our own....

X-Era
07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I think it will be Andra Davis and a vet FA to start the year with the young guys getting time here and there until they outperform the vets.

Getting two more vets though makes it too tough for them to get on the field. Yes we should be winning games but this roster has to take shape also with the young guys as the core.Why? Let Torbor go when you make the final roster cuts and it's the same thing. Rook's can certainly spell the vets during a game. They often rotate in anyways.

To me this is easy. It's about improving the team.

At worst, these new vets could becoming very good backups in a year or so when a young guy takes over.

ddaryl
07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
What type of play do you get on the field when a rookie is "growing"?

We should want to win every game. Winning should be more important than developing your youth.

Let them earn it.

Experience makes a huge difference. Sometimes OJT is the way to go...

I think their is a balance here, and signing FA's that would make the team marginally better while serving the purpose of keeping the youth on the bench can be just as counter productive.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 10:01 AM

I think their is a balance here, and signing FA's that would make the team marginally better while serving the purpose of keeping the youth on the bench can be just as counter productive.These guys will get playing time in the rotation. I'm not willing to start rooks just because we have no choice. That's too much risk.

tampabay25690
07-31-2011, 10:03 AM
He will probably sign in Phili.......
They are signing everyone else why not..........

Wouldluv to see him in Buffalo though...

better days
07-31-2011, 10:19 AM

So you are saying the Bills have been losers because of their youth? I think it has more to do with the lack of talented players myself.

ddaryl
07-31-2011, 10:22 AM
What type of play do you get on the field when a rookie is "growing"?

Let them earn it.

I think their is a balance here, and signing FA's that would make the team marginally better while serving the purpose of keeping the youth on the bench can be just as counter productive.

we're at the mercy of the new FO and the talent evaluators.. We will be able ot start to really judge how their 1st draft went this year

These guys will get playing time in the rotation. I'm not willing to start rooks just because we have no choice. That's too much risk.

I choose ot have faith in Nix and Co. at this point.. In 2 more years if things are no better then I'll turn on him but not at this point of this FO.

YardRat
07-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Well, when you have a propensity to bring in second & third tier vets to compliment your skill-less high draft picks it usually doesn't work out that well.

YardRat
07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
If we bring in Burnett we won't bring in a Tatupu.. We are going to give our drafted guys a chance to play and develop...

That was the plan the moment Nix signed on.. he said it last year he's said it this year.. We will not build through FA....

Bringing in FA's may make a marginal difference in the team short term but in the long run we've seen how it can also set a team back.. See Dockery and Walker...

We will have a good idea on how Nix's 1st draft went as this year rolls on. If we see improved contributions from 50% of the people in last years draft will people actually start to believe in the philosophy.. or will we forever need instant FA gratification and hope we can do a 1 year turnaround ?

1 9(9) Spiller, C.J. RB

2 9 (41) Troup, Torell DT

3 8 (72) Carrington, Alex DE

4 9 (107) Easley, Marcus WR

5 9 (140) Wang, Ed OT

6 9 (178) Moats, Arthur DE

6 23 (192) Batten, Danny DE

7 2 (209) Brown, Levi QB

7 9 (216) Calloway, Kyle (not on the roster)

I know people want that instant gratification... but the plan is for the next few years is develop our own....

IMO, barring injury, the only guys we lose from that list this year are Wang, with Brown going on the PS again (if he's still eligible for it.)

X-Era
07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
So you are saying the Bills have been losers because of their youth? I think it has more to do with the lack of talented players myself.I'm saying they are losing in part because of the lack of adequate talent overall. And to not make significant improvements but count on un-proven rookies is a risky situation that could easily lead to more losing.

acehole
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
This black white all or nothing...posts are puzzling.

This means that...

No it doesn't.

Since when did having a vet in front of your stunt growth?

Since when having a young guy to spell you in game bad for a team?

Sign all the talent you can...

Rotate that with talent you have on your roster.
Football 101.

Competition usually brings out the best in both types of players.

good post x.

Why? Let Torbor go when you make the final roster cuts and it's the same thing. Rook's can certainly spell the vets during a game. They often rotate in anyways.

At worst, these new vets could becoming very good backups in a year or so when a young guy takes over.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Guys. I can't understand why anyone would root for more of the same. We have been starting young guys who aren't ready. Remember the revolving door on the OL last year? How many years did we have to watch Ellison? Corto? Digi? starting and looking out classed. Hell, even at some level Davis, Torbor, and Ayodele were out classed. We have a chance to spend money to get upgrades. But we would rather do more of the same?

The overall talent isn't good enough and we aren't deep enough to sustain many injuries. The whole teams needs better talent. Yes, the rookies look good and may be just fine. But if you can add players who can start immediately or at the very least upgrade your depth, a 4 and 12 team should do that.

It's funny. We can't tolerate losing to get the #1 overall prospect but we can start prospects even if it means losing.

YardRat
07-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Guys. I can't understand why anyone would root for more of the same. We have been starting young guys who aren't ready. Remember the revolving door on the OL last year? How many years did we have to watch Ellison? Corto? Digi? starting and looking out classed. Hell, even at some level Davis, Torbor, and Ayodele were out classed. We have a chance to spend money to get upgrades. But we would rather do more of the same?

The overall talent isn't good enough and we aren't deep enough to sustain many injuries. The whole teams needs better talent. Yes, the rookies look good and may be just fine. But if you can add players who can start immediately or at the very least upgrade your depth, a 4 and 12 team should do that.

It's funny. We can't tolerate losing to get the #1 overall prospect but we can start prospects even if it means losing.

I think there aren't as many people really disagreeing with you as you perceive.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I think there aren't as many people really disagreeing with you as you perceive.Nah. It's just a few.

JCBills
07-31-2011, 11:19 AM

It was Tatupu and David Hawthorne.

SeatownBillsFan21
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Not the same player since he was injured but still an upgrade him or Barrnett would be a start.

Ingtar33
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM

you don't get it. they're already justifying us not signing someone in the offseason to fill the middle of our defense as a "positive"... this is how they'll get through the first 12 games of the season before they write it off as a lost cause.

meanwhile they'll attack anyone who suggests improving the roster as wanting to "stunt the growth" of young players, or "realists" who aren't fans of the team and are "needlessly" negative.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 11:27 AM
you don't get it. they're already justifying us not signing someone in the offseason to fill the middle of our defense as a "positive"... this is how they'll get through the first 12 games of the season before they write it off as a lost cause.

meanwhile they'll attack anyone who suggests improving the roster as wanting to "stunt the growth" of young players, or "realists" who aren't fans of the team and are "needlessly" negative.I really hate to agree... But, I have to agree.

Sportsuser101
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
He's a 43 player. Not a 34 player. Don't see him as a fit

X-Era
07-31-2011, 11:30 AM
He's a 43 player. Not a 34 player. Don't see him as a fitHe's got the size at 250 and isn't really a smaller quicker type that you usually want for a 4-3 MLB. I think he may be better suited to play in tighter quarters and using his size filling holes.

JCBills
07-31-2011, 11:34 AM
He's a 43 player. Not a 34 player. Don't see him as a fit

So every player that has had success in a 3-4 has played in that system the entirety of their career? Hmmmmmmmm.

Lol.

kingJofNYC
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't see him as a 3-4 ILB, small defender, dude is a perfect cover 2 mike.

He's about as close to 250 as Maybin is.

Mahdi
07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Why? Let Torbor go when you make the final roster cuts and it's the same thing. Rook's can certainly spell the vets during a game. They often rotate in anyways.

This I agree with, drop Torbor or Davis and pick up Tatupu or Barnett. Then we have improved our vets and still have young guys with a chance to play.

I just don't want to see a crowded depth chart with players that will never be stars for us just solid starters.

Tatupu, Torbor, Barnett, Davis means White and Shepp don't play and that was my point.

I want to see those kids have a shot at being stars for us rather than stash them away while these guys get older and we have nothing developing behind them.

X-Era
07-31-2011, 11:41 AM
This I agree with, drop Torbor or Davis and pick up Tatupu or Barnett. Then we have improved our vets and still have young guys with a chance to play.

I just don't want to see a crowded depth chart with players that will never be stars for us just solid starters.

Tatupu, Torbor, Barnett, Davis means White and Shepp don't play and that was my point.

I want to see those kids have a shot at being stars for us rather than stash them away while these guys get older and we have nothing developing behind them.Absolutely. Signing Barnett and Tatupu means dumping Torbor IMO. The Bills wouldn't do it though. Barnett would be it at LB.

And I'm not unhappy at that point. We still have Davis who I like and Shepp. The top 2 would start which would likely be Shepp and Barnett... Davis would be a quality backup at that point. Torbor would then be in a likely battle with White/Batten for a roster spot.

YardRat
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Absolutely. Signing Barnett and Tatupu means dumping Torbor IMO. The Bills wouldn't do it though. Barnett would be it at LB.

I think even if we sign only one of them, Torbor is gone (eventually)

CAbills
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Pass on a guy with bad knees.

JCBills
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Pass on a guy with bad knees.

Out of a possible 96 games, he has started and played 84 of them. Played all 16 last season.

CAbills
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Yet Pete Carrol his college and pro coach and the organization felt they were capable of letting a young linebacker walk.

I much rather see what Sheppard can do, hes a rookie but Poz also started from Day 1.

mikemac2001
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Yet Pete Carrol his college and pro coach and the organization felt they were capable of letting a young linebacker walk.

I much rather see what Sheppard can do, hes a rookie but Poz also started from Day 1.

and pete carrol traded for whitehurst and then signs traveris jackson and calls him starter before any practices

Meathead
07-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Absolutely. Signing Barnett and Tatupu means dumping Torbor IMO. The Bills wouldn't do it though. Barnett would be it at LB.

i can still see them adding carol channing crowder

better days
07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
I think even if we sign only one of them, Torbor is gone (eventually)

Well, Chan has said "You can never have enough depth."