PDA

View Full Version : Whitner to the Bengals?

Ickybaluky
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Per John Clayton (http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN):

There is a good chance safety Donte Whitner gets a deal done with the Bengals. It would be a nice fit.

Bert102176
07-31-2011, 08:39 PM
they can have him, all mouth no bite

SquishDaFish
07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Yea saw that tweet and thought bout posting it but he doesnt deserve my time making the thread LOL

BillsWin
07-31-2011, 08:43 PM
That would give them Whitner and Roy Williams.....

The Spaz
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
What a safety pairing...lol

hydro
07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
One twitter loud mouth leaves so they decide to bring another in :rofl:

Canadian'eh!
07-31-2011, 08:48 PM
BENGALS are going after Andrew Luck pretty hard.

lmcshadow
07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
I really did think DJ and the Browns would have been front runners

Mr. Miyagi
07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
BENGALS are going after Andrew Luck pretty hard.
They already have Andy Dalton.

BuffaloBlitz83
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
They already have Andy Dalton.

So what lol

hydro
07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Carolina has Jimmy Pickles and they drafted Cam.

Ickybaluky
07-31-2011, 10:00 PM
That would give them Whitner and Roy Williams.....

Williams is a free agent.

You guys can hack on the Bengals all you want, but they made the playoffs in 2009. Just sayin'.

BertSquirtgum
07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
they can have him. good ****ing riddance donte. you stink.

Thurmal
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
i wouldn't mind having Donte back...

BertSquirtgum
08-01-2011, 12:45 AM
i believe you are one of the few thurmal

better days
08-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Perfect fit as Clayton said. He can join Clements on that misfit team.

better days
08-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Williams is a free agent.

You guys can hack on the Bengals all you want, but they made the playoffs in 2009. Just sayin'.

Yesterdays news, just like the Pats*

Ickybaluky
08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Yesterdays news, just like the Pats*

If the Pats are yesterday's news, what are the Bills? Must be like from the early 1990's, right?

justasportsfan
08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I was hoping that Dick would try to get Whitner. Fortunately for the browns, Dick doesn't have full power to make personel decisions.

better days
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
If the Pats are yesterday's news, what are the Bills? Must be like from the early 1990's, right?

Right. But the Pats* have the look of a desperate team this year. Chad looks like he will fit in with the team, but he is over the hill. Haynesworth could blow up in the Pats* face. Warren Sapp has said Haynesworth is all bark & no bite.

trapezeus
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
i love the asteriks next to the Pats, BD. A nice reminder that they are a bunch of cheating SOBs.

HAMMER
08-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Every year the haters come out of the woodwork and dis the Pats. It makes them look silly, clueless, and petty.

better days
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Every year the haters come out of the woodwork and dis the Pats. It makes them look silly, clueless, and petty.

Well, explain how that is so. If the Pats* ever won anything without cheating you might have a point, but they haven't.

And they have kept up their cheating ways. They tried to sign Mallett to an illegal contract that the league voided. Sorry but I do hate cheaters.

Ickybaluky
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM

I actually like it, because it is a sign of respect. I remember when the Pats sucked donkey balls and were completely irrelevant. I'd rather people hate them with passion while they are one of the best teams out there. Beating hated is way better than being an afterthought.

The thing that is really funny, and better days does this every year, are continued predictions of their demise. Every year it is something, whether it is a contract issue, players getting holder, a player like Haynesworth destroying team chemistry or what have you.

I suppose one of these years they will be right, but it is pretty entertaining.

Mr. Pink
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Well ever since Spygate blew up, the Pats haven't won a single playoff game so while they still enjoy regular season success their playoff success has come to a grinding halt.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I actually like it, because it is a sign of respect. I remember when the Pats sucked donkey balls and were completely irrelevant. I'd rather people hate them with passion while they are one of the best teams out there. Beating hated is way better than being an afterthought.

The thing that is really funny, and better days does this every year, are continued predictions of their demise. Every year it is something, whether it is a contract issue, players getting holder, a player like Haynesworth destroying team chemistry or what have you.

Early on in the Pats' run, I was one of those people who predicted their demise every season, but I learned my lesson probably 4 or 5 years ago.

I've basically resigned myself to the fact that the Bills won't be able to beat the Pats until after Brady and Bellicheck are gone, and with the way the Pats are stockpiling draft picks, it could potentially be a lot longer than that.

The Patriots have now beat the Bills 15 times in a row. That means we only have 5 chances left to beat them to avoid repeating the 20 straight losses we had to the Dolphins in the '70.s *sigh.

And how the **** did a thread about Whitner leaving get this depressing?

Ickybaluky
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Well ever since Spygate blew up, the Pats haven't won a single playoff game so while they still enjoy regular season success their playoff success has come to a grinding halt.

They won 2 leading up to the Super Bowl in 2007. They haven't won a playoff game since that Super Bowl, though.

I don't think their playoff drought is any real shock. If you look at it, the year after losing that Super Bowl Brady blew out his knee, which effectively closed the window for the Pats teams that had all the success in the 2000's.

Since then, they have been rebuilding. The fact that they were able to continue having regular season success while rebuilding is a credit to them. They pretty much completely re-tooled and are now a younger, up-and-coming team. They have done it by stockpiling draft picks, like the extra 1st and 2nd round picks next year.

better days
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Well, I have only been posting on this board since Jan of 2010, so if you want to call last year & today every year, fine.

If I were a Pats* fan, I would say the same thing you are about being hated. All great teams are hated so it is a sign of respect. What separates the Pats* from great teams is the fact everything the Pats* have won was done so while cheating.

M
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
OK, is Whitner leaving or not?!

hydro
08-01-2011, 12:47 PM

He is as good as gone. It's pretty plain and clear when there has been no talk of him coming back.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM

The Bills made Whitner an offer after last season, shortly before the lockout started. Whitner's response to the offer was to clean out his locker- basically, the NFL's version of the neighborhood dork saying "if I can't play quarterback, I'm taking my ball and going home" during a game of pick-up football.

So, finally, the lockout ends and a flury of activity happens, but no one signs Whitner. He burned his bridges with the Bills because he thought the offer was low, but no one will pay him what he thinks he's worth, or else he would have signed somewhere by now.

Long story short, he's a FA and could technically still come back, but it's highly unlikely at this point.

M
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
He is as good as gone. It's pretty plain and clear when there has been no talk of him coming back.

I know but I want him safely ensconced on another team so there's no way he'll be back in a Bills uni.

Sportsuser101
08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't want Whitner. He's a liability in coverage and has missed alot of tackles for a guy thats main strength is tackling. Byrd, Wilson, Scott and Searcy will be just fine. Even Williams will probably rotate over there occasionally. I think our secondary is a strength of the team especially depth wise.

trapezeus
08-01-2011, 01:53 PM
if he ends up the bengals that would amuse me. it's the only game i saw him put a serious hit on someone when he laid out ochocinco late in a bills win.

for a big hitter, i cna only recall one time that he had a lights out play.

i started following him on twitter. it's amazing how many people rip on him and he defends himself against it. it's like an episode of glee. He feels persecuted and the need to defend himself. on one hand i feel terrible for him because it can't be fun (no matter what your talent) to just get ripped on all the time. on the other hand, he invites it by playing into it.

I hope he signs somewhere else soon.

BlackMetalNinja
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Ha, this topic brought up this fun little exchange yesterday:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1124474417/image_normal.jpg
scottlunn (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottlunn) Scott Lunn

His $@&# attitude will fit in nicely. Good riddance RT @SalSports (http://twitter.com/SalSports): Cincinnati #Bengals (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Bengals) are very interested in Donte Whitner.

23 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottlunn/status/97755855331655681) [/URL] (http://twitter.com/#)

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1406580719/309903043_normal.jpg
DonteWhitner (http://twitter.com/#) TWHITNER @

@scottlunn (http://twitter.com/scottlunn) what's wrong. With my attitude?

22 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/DonteWhitner/status/97762537336094721) (http://twitter.com/#)

<fieldset class="in-reply-to-border conversation-earlier-border"> <legend class="in-reply-to-text"> in reply to ↑ </legend> </fieldset> [URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/scottlunn"]http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1124474417/image_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#) @scottlunn (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottlunn) Scott Lunn

@DonteWhitner (http://twitter.com/DonteWhitner) Between picking fights on here, telling ppl how great u are instead of showing it, and acting like B-lo did you wrong. Plenty

22 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottlunn/status/97764968518266880) via Twitter for iPhone (http://twitter.com/#%21/download/iphone)

I really struggled to communicate why I felt that way in only 140 characters...

Coach Sal
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I tweeted this about 4 hours before John Clayton, or anyone else. I say that partly because ESPN never gives anyone else any credit for anything, but also to let you know I also contacted Donte directly AFTER I received the info (from a reliable source) and tweeted it and asked him if it were true.

After some back and forth texts, he basically would not confirm nor deny anything and just said that his agent said he has to stay quiet.

So, there's a chance he isn't going to Cincy. But I know they were talking yesterday and there is interest on both parts. And I still believe he is going to wind up there.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Wow, Whitner actually does sit there on Twitter arguing with everyone who criticizes him. I always thought that was hyperbole based on the general number and tone of his tweets, but it looks like it's actually true.

Hopefully Cincy gives him a big signing bonus so he can fly around the country and fight everyone who made fun of him on the Internet, like Jay and Silent Bob.

BlackMetalNinja
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Wow, Whitner actually does sit there on Twitter arguing with everyone who criticizes him. I always thought that was hyperbole based on the general number and tone of his tweets, but it looks like it's actually true.

Hopefully Cincy gives him a big signing bonus so he can fly around the country and fight everyone who made fun of him on the Internet, like Jay and Silent Bob.Read his timeline over the last 24 hours... 95% of it is him replying to others. I didn't even include his twitter account in my tweet, he must have been reading Sal's and saw it and went out of his way to respond to me.

trapezeus
08-01-2011, 02:06 PM
it has to suck to be on the bills for a handful of years, then miss out on your big payday because you suck, never know you suck because you just listen to yourself talk, and then find out the only other team that wants you is cheaper than the bills and more inept than the bills.

am i wrong?

Coach Sal
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

It goes well beyond that, believe me.

I'm pretty sure he actually searches his name in twitter and finds articles and tweets related to himself and re-tweets them.

I'm not kidding.

hydro
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
It goes well beyond that, believe me.

I'm pretty sure he actually searches his name in twitter and finds articles and tweets related to himself and re-tweets them.

I'm not kidding.

We should just put the word Whitner in everyone one of his tweets to make for more stuff for him to wade through!

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
We should start calling bad plays by the safety position "oh, he just pulled a Whitner."

User Manuel
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
how about bad posts...like..."Mike just wrote a real Whitner..."

stuckincincy
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I tweeted this about 4 hours before John Clayton, or anyone else. I say that partly because ESPN never gives anyone else any credit for anything, but also to let you know I also contacted Donte directly AFTER I received the info (from a reliable source) and tweeted it and asked him if it were true.

After some back and forth texts, he basically would not confirm nor deny anything and just said that his agent said he has to stay quiet.

So, there's a chance he isn't going to Cincy. But I know they were talking yesterday and there is interest on both parts. And I still believe he is going to wind up there.

Sal - I've said for years how Mike Brown expressed the hots for Whitner the year he was drafted.

If Brown has him in sights as a "value player", well...Whitner to CIN is an easy call.

What they do need is LBs -A special team chap named Muckelroy tore an achillies the 2nd say of practice, and former #1 Keith Rivers (mysteriously) busted a wrist in the off-season, and I haven't heard a peep about Dhani Jones' status since the rumblings about moving Maualuga to MLB.

I'd look to the B'gals re-acquiring the recently-cut Madieu Williams, also.

Raptor
08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
The only thing I care more about then what Donte Whitner is doing is literally everything else

CuseJetsFan83
08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Whitner for carson palmer :)

mysticsoto
08-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Whitner not getting much love out there...

From Rotoworld:

According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Bengals' interest in free agent SS Donte Whitner appears to have "cooled off."

Reedy no longer expects Whitner to sign with the Bengals. The former No. 8 overall pick's market has been softer than anyone could have imagined. Whitner won't be back in Buffalo, and the Bengals so far have been his best bet.

k-oneputt
08-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Two top-10 picks in the last five years and can't even find a team that wants him. Maybin will be joining him shortly.
You almost couldn't draft that poorly if you tried .

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Did I hear correctly? Whitner's agent is calling teams to try to get them interested?

Bill Cody
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
The former No. 8 overall pick's market has been softer than anyone could have imagined

Rotoworld obviously doesn't read this board.

Jeff1220
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
He could be the UFL's marquee signing this year.

Extremebillsfan247
08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I warned Whitner before the lockout ended to be careful when seeking big numbers on the market this year because of the number of free agents that will be out there with limited time to sign with clubs, that it would be a buyers market. I wonder if he believes me now. lol To give this some perspective, 1,230 player contracts have been signed according to Gregg Aiello since the lockout was lifted and Whitner is still on the market.

He probably saw what Poz got and thought " if he can get that kind of payday, I ought to be able to also". Poz just got lucky playing a position of need for Jacksonville. Safeties are a dime a dozen though. Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way. JMO

Novacane
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
LOL This story gets funnier as the days go by.

better days
08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I warned Whitner before the lockout ended to be careful when seeking big numbers on the market this year because of the number of free agents that will be out there with limited time to sign with clubs, that it would be a buyers market. I wonder if he believes me now. lol To give this some perspective, 1,230 player contracts have been signed according to Gregg Aiello since the lockout was lifted and Whitner is still on the market.

He probably saw what Poz got and thought " if he can get that kind of payday, I ought to be able to also". Poz just got lucky playing a position of need for Jacksonville. Safeties are a dime a dozen though. Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way. JMO

NFL network listed FA Safetys. I think there were about 8 listed. Whitners name was in the middle of the list from best to worst.

psubills62
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I find it amusing that for years people have said that Whitner stinks. Then suddenly when the Bills weren't going to re-sign him, he's the best safety on the team, a proven leader, a guy we want to keep around, etc.

Now how come none of the other NFL teams agree with that assessment? Strange, isn't it...

Extremebillsfan247
08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I find it amusing that for years people have said that Whitner stinks. Then suddenly when the Bills weren't going to re-sign him, he's the best safety on the team, a proven leader, a guy we want to keep around, etc.

Now how come none of the other NFL teams agree with that assessment? Strange, isn't it...Oh, it's not because he isn't any good. It's because Safety usually isn't a high demand position on the free agent market unless your elite. We all know he isn't that. But it's especially true this year with the smaller window in which players have to sign and get to camp in time to be somewhat effective. He will eventually end up with a team. But it's definitely not going to be the contract he was hoping for that he will eventually settle on. When all is said and done, he may end up with even less money than the Bills were offering him last year while negotiating his extension. JMO

BuffaloBlitz83
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM
And all our safeties suck!

psubills62
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh, it's not because he isn't any good. It's because Safety usually isn't a high demand position on the free agent market unless your elite. We all know he isn't that. But it's especially true this year with the smaller window in which players have to sign and get to camp in time to be somewhat effective. He will eventually end up with a team. But it's definitely not going to be the contract he was hoping for that he will eventually settle on. JMO
I never said he wasn't any good. I indicated he wasn't as good as some people around here would lead us to believe. And in general, I agree with your points.

And all our safeties suck!
That's quite an exaggeration, in my opinion. In reality, safeties are generally only as good as the pass rush. Look at 2009 - we had an abnormally decent pass rush and Byrd/Wilson combined for 13 INT's. Whitner has had 5 in his entire career.

YardRat
08-02-2011, 05:32 PM
He'll end up in Dallas.