PDA

View Full Version : Early Days, but Williams looks very much the real deal.

Buddo
08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
While admittedly this is just from the highlights of practises, our 2nd round pick looks like he's going to be in the mix early. Int's, pass break ups and really going at it, by the looks of things.

We didn't hear that much of him through the lockout, and it seemed as though he wasn't that interested until it was lifted, but this kid had obviously been quietly getting himself ready with the minimum of fuss.

I think that CB is going to be a serious 'camp battle' as it progresses, and with McGee back healthy, we definitely seem to have upgraded there, with the re-signing of Florence keeping the main core group intact, while adding Williams.

It's obviously too early to be certain, but I have to say that I'm a lot happier seeing signs of talent earlier rather than later. ;)

Night Train
08-01-2011, 05:56 AM
He was the pick many here were critical of after Draft Day.

Wait..you mean Nix may know what he's doing ?

Dujek
08-01-2011, 06:44 AM
If McGee stays healthy McKelvin could find himself warming the bench for most of the year.

Florence, McGee, Williams, McKelvin and Corner. I'd put that up there with anyone bar the Eagles.

tampabay25690
08-01-2011, 07:01 AM
The funny thing is most people were so upset we drafted a CB in the 2nd round...
You need a very good group of CB'S in this day in the NFL...
Running downs are on 1st or 2nd and the rest is all throwing anyway.
Teams are having to play passing down defense more then ever.....
It's great to have a CB that can push a WR and play bump and run....

mysticsoto
08-01-2011, 07:11 AM
If McGee stays healthy McKelvin could find himself warming the bench for most of the year.

Florence, McGee, Williams, McKelvin and Corner. I'd put that up there with anyone bar the Eagles.

I'd include the Jets as having a pretty top notch group also!!!

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I was very critical of him and still don't like the pick, however, I do like being proved wrong in this instance. So far he's been a stand out. Let's hope it translates to games now!

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I was very critical of him and still don't like the pick, however, I do like being proved wrong in this instance. So far he's been a stand out. Let's hope it translates to games now!

I'm sure he will end up being better then our wasted 1st rd. pick from Troy a couple of years ago. Williams doesn't seem intimidated nor walking around with the glazed deer in headlight look.
Texas vs. Troy, Troy vs. Texas. Little competition issue.

better days
08-01-2011, 08:14 AM
The funny thing is most people were so upset we drafted a CB in the 2nd round...
You need a very good group of CB'S in this day in the NFL...
Running downs are on 1st or 2nd and the rest is all throwing anyway.
Teams are having to play passing down defense more then ever.....
It's great to have a CB that can push a WR and play bump and run....

I heard Nix say the Bills received a few very enticing offers to trade down but did not do it because Williams was there.

He said they were very excited to see him still there because they had a 1st rnd grade on him.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 08:30 AM
He was the pick many here were critical of after Draft Day.

Wait..you mean Nix may know what he's doing ?

One good day of training camp doesn't prove that Nix knows what he's doing.

PromoTheRobot
08-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Thank you OpI for the slap of reality! Too many happy thoughts here. You are actually basing your opinion on seeing training camp in person and not just some knee-jerk automatic negative response, right?

PTR

BidsJr
08-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Thank you OpI for the slap of reality! Too many happy thoughts here. You are actually basing your opinion on seeing training camp in person and not just some knee-jerk automatic negative response, right?

PTR

Sorry, but his automatic negative responses are anything but knee-jerk. They come naturally to him.

Lone Stranger
08-01-2011, 08:45 AM
He was the best CB at practice yesterday; was great in coverage.

superbills
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Op has a point...it's early and the offense is still shaking off the rust. But it's good to see the guy taking advantage of the situation and making a name for himself. Now, like DB said, let's see if it translates to gametime.

Ebenezer
08-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping the kid becomes our best corner...now. On the otherside of Florence will be great. McToast is a liability even as a 3rd CB.

psubills62
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I like the idea of a CB who plays physical. We really need a guy who can shadow opposing #1 WR's.

I'm loving TC and excited to see these kids do well, but as others have said, gotta wait to see what happens in the games.

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm sure he will end up being better then our wasted 1st rd. pick from Troy a couple of years ago. Williams doesn't seem intimidated nor walking around with the glazed deer in headlight look.
Texas vs. Troy, Troy vs. Texas. Little competition issue.

Troy v. Texas has nothing to do with it. We made the mistake of taking a CB who excelled in man to man coverage and tried to fit him into a zone scheme. The player we should of took was DRC who was a far better fit for our system and already had a pro bowl under his belt.

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Its two not one.

DesertFox24
08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I am not ready to give up on McKelvin just yet, lets see what he does this year.

trapezeus
08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
hopefully if this all takes, we won't need another CB selection in the top 4 rounds for a couple of years. i think we (optimists and realists) are both sick of seeing top picks go to a position we've picked a bunch of times in the last 10 years.

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I am not ready to give up on McKelvin just yet, lets see what he does this year.

I actually like McKelvin. He is very atletic with alot of upside, but now is the time it has to start coming together for him.

And I don't care what anyone says, players coming from smaller programs such as Troy, Ark. St. etc usually take a little longer to adapt to the speed of the NFL compared to larger schools like Florida and Texas.

methos4ever
08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Troy v. Texas has nothing to do with it. We made the mistake of taking a CB who excelled in man to man coverage and tried to fit him into a zone scheme. The player we should of took was DRC who was a far better fit for our system and already had a pro bowl under his belt.
And he (DRC) also has a penchant for taking chances and not listening to coaches too DB. He ain't perfect.

Leodis at least is trying to do the work and get better when challenged...

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 10:54 AM
And he (DRC) also has a penchant for taking chances and not listening to coaches too DB. He ain't perfect.

Leodis at least is trying to do the work and get better when challenged...

Absolutely not, but he's far better than anything McKelvin has brought us thus far.

I never said he was, I said he was the guy they should of picked and nobody can argue the contrary.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM

PTR

no, I'm basing it on the reality that one rookie having one good day in training camp proves NOTHING.

It's stupid to get excited about it, and it's even more stupid to suggest that it proves Nix knows what he's doing. Thinking otherwise is just a desperate attempt to cling to some small shred of hope that the team won't suck this year.

Sorry if that reality is too real for your dream world.

madness
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
McGee in slot
<nobr>Terrence McGee </nobr>has been an outside corner for several years now, but in the first two days of practice he was moved inside to the slot in nickel situations. Whether it’s being done in the absence of <nobr>Reggie Corner</nobr> (Active PUP) or because Aaron Williams, who comes on as the third corner, is taller and bigger than McGee.
Whatever it is it’s the first time McGee has seen noticeable time in the slot since his first couple of seasons in the league.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Practice-Notes---Day-2/6eacb94d-b990-4567-83d5-3a789621b5e3

DesertFox24
08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I actually like McKelvin. He is very atletic with alot of upside, but now is the time it has to start coming together for him.

And I don't care what anyone says, players coming from smaller programs such as Troy, Ark. St. etc usually take a little longer to adapt to the speed of the NFL compared to larger schools like Florida and Texas.

Oh I love drafting small school guys, and the argument that we should not is insane.

better days
08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
no, I'm basing it on the reality that one rookie having one good day in training camp proves NOTHING.

It's stupid to get excited about it, and it's even more stupid to suggest that it proves Nix knows what he's doing. Thinking otherwise is just a desperate attempt to cling to some small shred of hope that the team won't suck this year.

You are right a good day in training camp proves nothing. I don't understand why it is stupid to get excited about it however.

After all the meh play from Jaurons players in years past, I think it is exciting that a rookie is showing something even if just in camp.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
You are right a good day in training camp proves nothing. I don't understand why it is stupid to get excited about it however.

After all the meh play from Jaurons players in years past, I think it is exciting that a rookie is showing something even if just in camp.

Certainly it's better to see guys playing well in camp than playing poorly, but it's just too soon to get excited. Every year, there are guys who look great in camp or even in preseason, then don't make the team, or end up 3rd string and spend the season riding the pine.

better days
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Certainly it's better to see guys playing well in camp than playing poorly, but it's just too soon to get excited. Every year, there are guys who look great in camp or even in preseason, then don't make the team, or end up 3rd string and spend the season riding the pine.

I understand what you are saying but Williams is a 2nd rnd pick that Nix had a 1st rnd grade on.

He may not start, but I expect him to play a lot this year. If not, I will consider him a huge bust because Nix said that he turned down some enticing trades to draft him.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I think mcgee moves to the slot and aaron williams starts... jmo

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh I love drafting small school guys, and the argument that we should not is insane.

Well Andre Reed worked out.

HAMMER
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Don't get excited people, Op says you aren't allowed to.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't get excited people, Op says you aren't allowed to.

People are allowed to do whatever they want.

But if they get excited over something stupid, then I'm going to tell them why it's stupid, because clearly they don't understand.

PromoTheRobot
08-01-2011, 02:21 PM

That's funny. I thought one rookie having a bad day proves he's a bust.

PTR

Mski
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM

PTRisnt that how a double standard works?:idunno:

FlyingDutchman
08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
I dont think really were complaining or crazy upset when we took him. Most people who follow the draft closely knew of his value and talent, they just expected the Bills to go in a different direction, for the most part along the offensive and defensive lines and linebacker

madness
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Corner back practicing (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/01/corner-back-practicing/)<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-08-01T14:19:47+0000"> August 1, 2011 – 2:19 pm </abbr> </small>

Bills CB Reggie Corner is back practicing with the team.
He passed a physical Monday and was taken off Active PUP earlier today.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

PTR

Who said that? Link/quote?

FlyingDutchman
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

OP you actually make a decent point but then you end it with a miserable piss ant type statement...this is why people have a tough time with you

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I dont think really were complaining or crazy upset when we took him. Most people who follow the draft closely knew of his value and talent, they just expected the Bills to go in a different direction, for the most part along the offensive and defensive lines and linebacker

Also, the few people who were complaining generally overrated our CB situation.

McGee is old and can't stay healthy, we didn't know at the time of the draft that we'd be able to keep Florence, and McKelvin hasn't shown much.

While I agree that OT and ILB are bigger needs, we were in need of a CB at the time of the draft as well.

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
OP you actually make a decent point but then you end it with a miserable piss ant type statement...this is why people have a tough time with you

Yeah well, I was responding to a post that was addressing a perception of my attitude rather than the actual content of my comments. Sometimes it gets the better of me.

Captain Obvious
08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Op won't even be a little excited if Dareus looks good either

madness
08-01-2011, 03:35 PM

MattRichWarren (http://twitter.com/#%21/MattRichWarren)

Corner with a pass breakup in pass shell. Troup just owned Wood in line work. Dareus just bulled Urbik back with stiff arm.

Wood is a bust!

madness
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
16 minutes ago (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15384073) - by Mark Ludwiczak - Troup's added muscle shows itself in 1-on-1 drill (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15384073)
NT Torell Troup (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1621669/torell-troup) showed plenty of power and burst in beating C Eric Wood (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/522812/eric-wood) in a one-on-one drill. Troup has added a lot of muscle to his upper body since last season. Wood, to his credit, got the upper hand on the following rep. Bills RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/BUF)

:phew:

OpIv37
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM

I'll be excited if he looks good during actual games. Camp and preseason, not so much. Roscoe Parrish always looks great in camp and preseason. It never translated to the actual games until last year, then he got hurt.

mayotm
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll be excited if he looks good during actual games. Camp and preseason, not so much. Roscoe Parrish always looks great in camp and preseason. It never translated to the actual games until last year, then he got hurt.Does this logic apply to poor performances during camp and preseason?

Jaybird
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I'll be excited if he looks good during actual games. Camp and preseason, not so much. Roscoe Parrish always looks great in camp and preseason. It never translated to the actual games until last year, then he got hurt.

Roscoe was never used properly, until last season

PromoTheRobot
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Does this logic apply to poor performances during camp and preseason?
Not a prayer. One bad play and he's ready to cut 'em.

PTR

Mr. Pink
08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Camp and preseason are absolutely meaningless to players who have footing on the team. People put way too much credence, good or bad, in meaningless football.

The Jokeman
08-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Tell that to DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora.

Mike
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM

I see, so our Zero Pro Bowl CBs are better than everyone else's Pro-Bowl CBs except the Eagles because they have 3 Pro Bowl CBs?

Bills CBs are average at Best. McGee is getting older and was never a great CB or even a Pro Bowl CB. McKelvin showed a flash or two but is loosing confidence and has lacked that it quality. He is a very fast athlete who is decent at his job. Corner & Florence are good 3rd CBs.

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Tell that to DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora.

Yep and how many years before they became what they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Not saying some can't play it is just a bigger jump and takes a little longer usually.
I still have high hopes for McKelvin but it's time.

DraftBoy
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Yep and how many years before they became what they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Not saying some can't play it is just a bigger jump and takes a little longer usually.
I still have high hopes for McKelvin but it's time.

Ware was a hell of a force his first year in the league, 8 sacks and 58 tackles.

Crisis
08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
This small school argument is stupid.

Jared Allen had 9 sacks his rookie year (idaho state)

Brian Urlacher had 8 sacks and 98 tackles his rookie year (new mexico)

LT ran for 1,200 yards and 10 TDs his rookie year (tcu)

Randy Moss had 69 catches, 1300 yards, and 17 TDs his rookie year (marshall)

Let me guess, you're an SEC fan?

Blame Canada
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I was at camP the last two days. Best rookie was Williams, Hairston really struggled

better days
08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I see, so our Zero Pro Bowl CBs are better than everyone else's Pro-Bowl CBs except the Eagles because they have 3 Pro Bowl CBs?

Bills CBs are average at Best. McGee is getting older and was never a great CB or even a Pro Bowl CB. McKelvin showed a flash or two but is loosing confidence and has lacked that it quality. He is a very fast athlete who is decent at his job. Corner & Florence are good 3rd CBs.

I think he was talking about the entire unit. Not individuals. I would put the Jets up there with the Eagles. Those two teams aside most teams that have a pro bowl CB have a drop off after that with the rest of the DB's.

It is the same with WR's. the Bills may not have a Pro Bowl WR, but as a group I think they match up well with any other team in the league.

Captain Obvious
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Apparently the rookie RT Hairston has looked awful so far.. OP this guy is a bum and was a wasted pick?

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
This small school argument is stupid.

Jared Allen had 9 sacks his rookie year (idaho state)

Brian Urlacher had 8 sacks and 98 tackles his rookie year (new mexico)

LT ran for 1,200 yards and 10 TDs his rookie year (tcu)

Randy Moss had 69 catches, 1300 yards, and 17 TDs his rookie year (marshall)

Let me guess, you're an SEC fan?

Yeah, I like watching the best conference with the best players. but hey, that's just me.
Let me guess, Boise fan ?

Moss please. kicked out of Fla St. and Notre dame before landing at Marshall.

For some reason Williams has stepped into camp and has been playing well and that seems to be bothering people. Doesn't surprise me. Used to top competion.
Like when our free agents make our team. Aubrun, Arkansas, Florida, 7th rd pick Kentucky. Go ahead connect the dots. Why do they seem to make it ??????

k-oneputt
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I was at camP the last two days. Best rookie was Williams, Hairston really struggled

Some here are upset with that. I guess they are still waiting on McKelvin and it pisses them off.
Should be happy we got a rookie who's doing well.

Demon
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
CJ Spiller looked like Barry Sanders last year at camp and pre-season, and then Spiller looked like Shaud Williams during the season.

Jus' saying.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Apparently the rookie RT Hairston has looked awful so far.. OP this guy is a bum and was a wasted pick?

wang looked bad at first last year in camp too. now he looks good so far. give lineman some time. lots of it is technique and not talent, especially ot

Crisis
08-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I like watching the best conference with the best players. but hey, that's just me.
Let me guess, Boise fan ?

Moss please. kicked out of Fla St. and Notre dame before landing at Marshall.

For some reason Williams has stepped into camp and has been playing well and that seems to be bothering people. Doesn't surprise me. Used to top competion.
Like when our free agents make our team. Aubrun, Arkansas, Florida, 7th rd pick Kentucky. Go ahead connect the dots. Why do they seem to make it ??????

No, I'm not a fan of anything college football, I'm just used to the big school elitism.

So I guess Moss' redshirt season at FSU was the reason he had a good rookie year??? He didn't play any games against "top competition" so your point is completely invalid.

I'm not upset Williams is doing it well, I just find it funny how you need to wave the big school elitism dick around for some unknown reason.... for as many "big school" players that start off well, there's more that do bad. What school you went to in college has a minimal impact on how NFL ready you are... if you can play, you can play.

Do you have any real proof that successful players who go to the big schools have better rookie/early years in the league than successful players who went to small schools?

k-oneputt
08-02-2011, 05:01 AM
My belief is the bigger school kids are more prepared to come into the NFL to compete becasue of the programs they are from and the level of talent they have. There is a reason 99% of those kids are recriuted at those schools. There are always exceptions as some kids develop later. But as I've noted look at the free agents on our team that end up making the team and actually having a role.
Back to the point on Williams. Personally I'm not surprised he has come in and is competing at a high level compared to when McKelvin came in. It may mean nothing but I am encouraged we finally have some draft picks who loook like they will be able to contribute immediately.