PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts so far this offseason

Sportsuser101
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Absolutely loved the draft. Yes we could have gone offensive line alittle earlier then the late 4th but I do like Hairston. I think Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Searcy, Hairston and Rogers could all see significant time as rookies. This is the 1st time in a long time I feel like the Bills made alot of the right moves.

Lets look at the offseason. Yes we knew the Bills weren't going to move a big free agent splash. They haven't in years. However, I do like the small moves they did make. Trust your scouting of the college ranks and let them develop. We all know were probably not competing for the division this year so why not let the young guys play? Of course you do need some vets here and there so your not completely outplayed and thats what the Bills have done here.

Thigpen is a capable backup and knows Gaileys system. Pushes Fitzpatrick and I think he's a very solid signing despite what some have said.

Brad Smith, while is probably a better fit for a playoff contender like say the Jets (smh Jets for not making an offer), is a good signing. Adds alot of different packages. Him Spiller, Jackson and Smith on the field at the same time could cause several mismatches. While I wouldn't make it a habit Smith could also throw the ball.

Nick Barnett, when healthy is a stud linebacker. He has played in the 34 defense and the 43 defense. He's a better fit then Poz and Tatupu which some had suggested. He comes at a nice price and adds some more leadership to the linebacker corps. Key for him unquestionably is being healthy. When he is he is a stud. Like Merriman I think the risk is minimal and worth the gamble.

Now I say I think a guy like Boss would be a nice fit although I would prefer Miller I think it's sort of a pipe dream. Not sure if he would want to come here and if he did we would probably have to overpay for him. Boss is more of a blocker which in Gaileys scheme is probably a better system move.

I think Gaither needs to hop on board now. If not for nothing but to just add some competition. The Bills keep failing to address the offensive line and I thought they would do so in free agency and get a good solid vet. We will see if Gaither comes on board.

methos4ever
08-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I think Gaither needs to hop on board now. If not for nothing but to just add some competition. The Bills keep failing to address the offensive line and I thought they would do so in free agency and get a good solid vet. We will see if Gaither comes on board.

I think much like Merriman, if they can get him on a cheaper contract, I'd sign him and see if he can get healthy. Then, like Merriman Gaither would have a sense of loyalty to the organization as they mend him.

mysticsoto
08-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Wasn't it Gaither that failed a physical for the Raiders just recently? Looks like there's not much in the way of RTs for us at this moment. We will apparently be stuck with Pears, Wrotto and Hairston. With the lockout delaying alot, Hairston will not be even close to being ready for the regular season. So we likely start the best of Pears/Wrotto and hope that Hairston develops quickly.

Looks like Scott Chandler might be lining up alot on the right side...

better days
08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Wasn't it Gaither that failed a physical for the Raiders just recently? Looks like there's not much in the way of RTs for us at this moment. We will apparently be stuck with Pears, Wrotto and Hairston. With the lockout delaying alot, Hairston will not be even close to being ready for the regular season. So we likely start the best of Pears/Wrotto and hope that Hairston develops quickly.

Looks like Scott Chandler might be lining up alot on the right side...

Chan has said he really likes Pears, so I give him the edge to start.

mysticsoto
08-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Chan has said he really likes Pears, so I give him the edge to start.

The only reason I place them as equals is b'cse Pears is new and hasn't had much time to digest how things are done here while Wrotto is a year ahead. It may not mean anything or it may mean everything. TC will sift through both and decide...

tomz
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Yes, but Pears has more experience and actually was here for a bit last year, so at least he had the playbook.

mysticsoto
08-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I also think Cordaro Howard might be in the mix. He's been forgotten but he brought some stability to the right side before he went out with an injury...

psubills62
08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd really like to see Gaither signed here in Buffalo. Failed physical or not, the guy has got serious talent. Even if they signed him for a few years (with plenty of incentives), then just sat him out this entire year to get him healthy, I wouldn't care.

Not like we're making the playoffs this year anyway. And considering, IMO, there are ~3 holes on this OL, signing Gaither may fill one of them long-term.

I truly think Buffalo wants to upgrade the OL, particularly RT, per their actions. I have a feeling if they still aren't confident in anyone this time next year, they'll invest a high pick in it. I also think Bell needs to show some serious improvement this year. Would not be surprised at all to see the Bills go LT (1st round) and RT (2nd round), or even QB/LT/RT next year in the draft.

We'll see, though. For now, I agree that I like how Nix and co. are building a team. They've made their share of mistakes and things I haven't agreed with, but they seem to know where the weaknesses are in general and have done a good job of slowly building the talent level.

I expect to see significant improvement from the defense this year (i.e. improve the run D, maybe average ranking overall), and slight improvement from the offense.

billz83
08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
this incompetent organization completely and utterly ignored the OLINE once again...can people really be this stupid and ignorant to the fact u NEED a solid OLINE to do anything on the offense? I thought for sure they couldnt POSSIBLY ignore the OLINE again guess i was wrong.

mysticsoto
08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
this incompetent organization completely and utterly ignored the OLINE once again...can people really be this stupid and ignorant to the fact u NEED a solid OLINE to do anything on the offense? I thought for sure they couldnt POSSIBLY ignore the OLINE again guess i was wrong.

They hardly ignored the Oline. They got a road grater in Hairston, who b'cse of the lockout, unfortunately, will likely take longer to come up to speed. They also tried to obtain Clabo and made him a very good offer that he declined b'cse he valued his roots and family that he embedded there over the extra $$$ we offered.

That doesn't mean they ignored anything. It just didn't work out they way they were hoping for.

psubills62
08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
They didn't ignore it, they just didn't address it the way most fans wanted them to. OL isn't the only thing they needed to address.