• Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Forked Thread: While many are whining...ENOUGH of the Redskins excuse

Forked from: While many are whining...

Originally posted by justasportsfan
    we've gone through this already. Insisting via FA does not work either. The Raiders and redskins did it and failed and we did it with Bledsoe ,Spikes and co. and failed
    Every time someone on this site complains about the Bills not doing enough in free agency, someone has to bring up the Redskins.

"well, the Redskins spent big money on this guy and he did nothing. So the Bills are doing the right thin and building through the draft."

This is another mind-**** by the Bills' FO.

The reality is that there is a happy medium. It's very possible for a team to improve via FA without going crazy on big name FA's like the Redskins do.

The Redskins excuse is just a convenient cop-out that allows the FO to avoid spending money, and fans shouldn't buy into it.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • jcdavey
    • Dec 2006

Re: Forked Thread: While many are whining...ENOUGH of the Redskins excuse

the happy medium you speak of , is signing meat and potatoes FAs , shying away from the huge names, and making smart trades to improve your depth without giving up high future draft picks

this is the problem the redskins got into, they'd sign high priced FAs, trade high draft picks away

then they'd wind up being screwed....

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

This team was rock bottom just 18 months ago when Gailey took over. Bottom 1-2 in actual talent.

So now the formula is draft talent and sign what few players are willing to come to a non-winner that hopefully is moving forward the right way. Along the way, you take calculated gambles like Merriman.

This is probably another 4-5 win season while many young guys go through growing pains. Then you draft your QB in 2012, (with 4-5 1st round types showing) and will have to suffer through some rookie mistakes.

There is no quick fix in FA, since all things being equal the player will always select a playoff caliber team. (Bills not even close ) So you do build through the draft and it will take time. (3-4 years ) after you bottom out. It's only compounded when it's Buffalo and it's perception of bad weather and poor ownership.

I don't expect to be watching many wins at all this season. I hope to be watching progress.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
        This team was rock bottom just 18 months ago when Gailey took over. Bottom 1-2 in actual talent.

So now the formula is draft talent and sign what few players are willing to come to a non-winner that hopefully is moving forward the right way. Along the way, you take calculated gambles like Merriman.

This is probably another 4-5 win season while many young guys go through growing pains. Then you draft your QB in 2012, (with 4-5 1st round types showing) and will have to suffer through some rookie mistakes.

There is no quick fix in FA, since all things being equal the player will always select a playoff caliber team. (Bills not even close ) So you do build through the draft and it will take time. (3-4 years ) after you bottom out. It's only compounded when it's Buffalo and it's perception of bad weather and poor ownership.

I don't expect to be watching many wins at all this season. I hope to be watching progress.
        I'm fine with second tier guys or decent guys signed after the frenzy dies down. If your not going to spend 10 mill per on anyone, sign two at 5 mill per... we have plenty of needs both at starting positions and depth.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train

Are you saying this team isn't still bottom 1-2 in talent?
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

Every time someone on this site complains about the Bills not doing enough in free agency, someone has to bring up the Redskins.

"well, the Redskins spent big money on this guy and he did nothing. So the Bills are doing the right thin and building through the draft."

The reality is that there is a happy medium. It's very possible for a team to improve via FA without going crazy on big name FA's like the Redskins do.

The Redskins excuse is just a convenient cop-out that allows the FO to avoid spending money, and fans shouldn't buy into it.
            So what are your suggestions...Who would you like to seen them go after, and how willing do you think that player was to join us? This team was a Clabo away from a pretty good FA period. Please explain though instead of just complainin. Specifically what would you have like to have seen done

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Are you saying this team isn't still bottom 1-2 in talent?
              Are you saying the Bills are bottom 1-2 in talent? I would say the Panthers, Browns, Seahawks, 49ers & Titans have less talent than the Bills.

With the addition of Wannstadt, I think the Bills also have better coaching than those teams.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                So what are your suggestions...Who would you like to seen them go after, and how willing do you think that player was to join us? This team was a Clabo away from a pretty good FA period. Please explain though instead of just complainin. Specifically what would you have like to have seen done
                The thought process is than every time the FO fails to sign a FA- either because they're not interested or because they fail, like with Clabo- numerous people on this website bring up the Redskins excuse to defend the FO.

The Redskins' failures have nothing to do with the Bills or whether or not we should sign a particular FA. If a guy isn't right for us, fine, but when a guy is right for us, don't let our FO off the hook because the Redskins signed Haynesworth. It's a red herring argument that gets used on this site far too often and it's very frustrating.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

It's not an excuse. It's a fact! I mentioned the bills and raiders as well not just the redskins.

Okay if you want me to to leave out the redskins I will. The bills' sb team was built via the DRAFT. Did we retool with guys like Bennett and Lofton? Yes we did but not after the bills built their core with the draft. The Pats did the same thing by bringing in Welker and Moss but not until they've built via the draft.

Staying with the bills, how did the Bledsoe, Milloy, Fletcher , Posey etc. era compare to the Kelly era? Draft vs. FA. The best teams that have built dynasties were built via the draft. Care to argue that?

You call yourself a realist yet you try and argue with the ways of Polian that WORKS ! Dynasties of today were built via the draft. You can argue with the REALITY that teams like Colts, Steelers, Pats and even the chargers were built via the draft but don't call yourself a realist when you are aguing with reality.

Why do you think the Pats stockpile draft picks instead of stockpiling FA's? Even when they get FA's they don't give up high draft picks to get them. Argue with BB all you want.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

What frustrates me the most about this FA time is that the bills seemed to have no plan for if poz doesn't sign. And the FA that they did target, they let slip away and didn't have an answer for that.

The team's draft on paper was good. getting more LB depth and RT and overall OL would show that they were serious about improving.

As it stands now, they lose poz and bring in a decent name but a guy with a history of getting hurt. they let the younger solution in kevin burnett go. They can't close on Clabo. And they haven't brough in any bodies on the OL.

But they found the time to sign a 5th punt returner on a team that notoriously doesn't get 3rd down stops.

the whole thing comes off as sloppy. Then you watch the sabres move within a single day from plan A to plan B and come out ahead on paper. Where are the bills' moves. its just lip service of "we are getting better by doing nothing."

I would love to be wrong this year, but i seriously don't see this team doing much better than last year. which may be the plan all along. get luck.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

BTW, OP you *****ed and whined when the bills didn't do anything to fix the OL only to have those whines blow up in your face when the bills brought in Dockery and company. How did Dockery and co turn out?
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Okay if you want me to to leave out the redskins I will. The bills' sb team was built via the DRAFT. Did we retool with guys like Bennett and Lofton? Yes we did but not after the bills built their core with the draft. The Pats did the same thing by bringing in Welker and Moss but not until they've built via the draft.
                        True free agency didn't happen until the mid-1990's, so of course most teams were built through the draft.

I think good teams get players from a number of areas: draft, undrafted players, free agents, trades, waiver pickups, canada... basically anywhere they can get a player who can help them.

The draft is important, but really it is about getting the right players for your team, no matter how you get them.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                          True free agency didn't happen until the mid-1990's, so of course most teams were built through the draft..
                          Polian still doesn't build via FA and BB still builds via the draft. BB retools but he gets them really cheap. Even Pioli is building KC via the draft. I realize Cassel is not a KC draft pick but he was with Pioli at NE.

Originally posted by Ickybaluky

I think good teams get players from a number of areas: draft, undrafted players, free agents, trades, waiver pickups, canada... basically anywhere they can get a player who can help them.

The draft is important, but really it is about getting the right players for your team, no matter how you get them.

I agree. Successful teams build a foundation first and then fillin the pieces.

It wouldn't be smart to buy appliances first and then buy a house later or else you're screwed if those appliances don't fit.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

It's not an excuse. It's a fact! I mentioned the bills and raiders as well not just the redskins.

Staying with the bills, how did the Bledsoe, Milloy, Fletcher , Posey etc. era compare to the Kelly era? Draft vs. FA. The best teams that have built dynasties were built via the draft. Care to argue that?

You call yourself a realist yet you try and argue with the ways of Polian that WORKS ! Dynasties of today were built via the draft. You can argue with the REALITY that teams like Colts, Steelers, Pats and even the chargers were built via the draft but don't call yourself a realist when you are aguing with reality.

Why do you think the Pats stockpile draft picks instead of stockpiling FA's? Even when they get FA's they don't give up high draft picks to get them. Argue with BB all you want.
                            You can add Tampa as a team built through the draft. Both the Super Bowl team & current team, as well as Atlanta.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                              • Apr 2005

op...will you please address FlyingDutchman's question so we can have a better idea of where your coming from.

"Specifically what would you have like to have seen done "

we can say get this guy or that one, but if they don't want to play in Buffalo, you can't force them to sign. Guys don't want to play in Buffalo for many reasons. IE:
                              1 not a contender
                              2 the weather
                              3 the city doesn't have the glitz of the larger markets

get my point?

Yes OBD is responsible for the mess we got in
                              . But the first thing you do to get out of the hole you dig is, put down the shovel. I think we did that last year. Now we have to climb out of that ten year hole. If we don't get a good grip, we'll slide back down. The hole was deep , it's going to take time.

SO again I ask, what would YOU do ? Specifically !
                              Thanks.
                              Last edited by sdbillsfan2; 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

Working...
                              X