PDA

View Full Version : How many players the Bills need to re-sign soon?

ghz in pittsburgh
08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/?p=144433

Re-signing your own players IS an important strategy. You don't want to spin your wheels replacing good players each year. Maybe that's why Poz departure stung the front office a bit.

Moving forward, I have to think the front office will look at who they need to resign to use the cap room.

Fitz will be a little tricky. He deserves starter money but not star money. How much commitment? I view him, in Pittsburgh terms, a Buffalo's Neil O'Donnell. Pittsburgh was in Buffalo's shoe then and we know what happened.

Stevie Johnson will get big money if he shows any signs that last year was a not a fluke. He's contract should be up and he'll get #1 money.

Offisive line, Levitre, Bell need to be considered. I think Bell is in his last year.

It dose not take more than 4 or 5 contracts to eat up those 20 million cap space.

tampabay25690
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
If I were the Bills I would try to RESIGN Stevie to a long term deal before the season starts.....
If he has a huge year he could ask for even more $$$....

k-oneputt
08-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't give Bell a dime until he proves he can stay healthy and be at least average this season.

methos4ever
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I'd lock up Stevie, Levitre and perhaps Wood a year early. I'd also consider something for Byrd as well...

mayotm
08-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't give Bell a dime until he proves he can stay healthy and be at least average this season.He played all 16 games last year. I think you could make an arguement that he was average or close to it. I expect he will improve this year.

trapezeus
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
you are probably right. since they out lay of cash for next year is 10% less and they need to spend money now, they could offer a substantial raise for these guys now, but keep themselves at the floor next year.

I offer that only because that's how the bills would approach it.

Extremebillsfan247
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't go more than 3 years on Fitz no matter what kind of year he has. If we don't resign Bell, we better start grooming somebody now because we all know the Bills don't do the free agency dance too often. It can't be counted on that he can be replaced in that manor knowing how Nix n Company handle free agency. That most likely means it would be our direction in next years draft, and you would almost be forced to sign Fitz back if that were the case. Levitre is a lock to get an extension. I'll guarantee that one now. I would make a hard push to bring back S. Johnson, but I wouldn't break the bank on him. We are stacked at that position, and it's pretty easy to find them in the draft. JMO

k-oneputt
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
He played all 16 games last year. I think you could make an arguement that he was average or close to it. I expect he will improve this year.

did he really play all 16 games last year ? My bad then, I thought he was injured some. Maybe I'm thinking of training camp.
Actually I thought he did pretty well. This is a huge year for him and his future financial well being.

psubills62
08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
did he really play all 16 games last year ? My bad then, I thought he was injured some. Maybe I'm thinking of training camp.
Actually I thought he did pretty well. This is a huge year for him and his future financial well being.
Yeah he did play all 16 games, but only played 8 games the year before. Bell showed some improvement, but I'd still like to see more out of him before I sign him to a starting-level contract. To be honest, I'd like to have him back either way as a swing tackle, but only as long as we get two starting OT's in front of him.

Oh, and I think you're right, k-one, that Bell was injured through at least part of TC last year. Lingering from the previous year, IIRC.

Ed
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
If we have extra cap to extend players, the first guy I would like to see get an extension and raise is Kyle Williams. He's the most deserving since he's one of the best and most dependable players we have. I'd like to see this team make a statement by rewarding a hard working grinder like Williams.

mikemac2001
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
If we have extra cap to extend players, the first guy I would like to see get an extension and raise is Kyle Williams. He's the most deserving since he's one of the best and most dependable players we have. I'd like to see this team make a statement by rewarding a hard working grinder like Williams.

This man is correct they paid the wrong whitey last year