PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Stats, TE Edition

methos4ever
08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Morning y'all.

I was driving to work today and on the Sirius Opening Drive, Former Bill Ross Tucker spent a good 2-3 minutes talking about how the Giants, Raiders and Bills needed a TE. I know we as fans have mentioned that a ton, but to hear it from Ross got me to thinking - how much has Chan actually used a TE in his offense outside of Buffalo?

The first example I thought of was the Chiefs and T-Gonz's monster year. That turns out to be the outlier as you'll see below:

Team Year Player Catches/Yards/TDS
Denver 89 - Kay 21/197/0
Mobley 17/200/0

Denver 90 - Kay 29/282/0
Mobley 8/41/0
Sharpe* 7/99/1

Pittsburgh 96** - Bruener 12/141/0
Hayes 2/14/0

Pittsburgh 97** - Bruener 18/117/6

Dallas 98*** - LaFleur 20/176/2

Dallas 99*** - LaFleur 35/322/7

Miami 00 - Goodwin 6/36/1

Miami 01 - Goodwin 4/27/0
Weaver 18/215/2

Chiefs 08**** - Gonzales 96/1058/10
Cottam 7/63/0

*Bear in mind that in 90, Shannon was being used as an H-Back/WR/TE type and wasn't really integrated in the offense.

**Slash was a favorite toy of Chan's in these years in Pittsburgh, but note how the TE in the second year had a 6 more catches, but yielded 6 TDs.

***In Dallas Chan used Deion as a receiver and kick returner, but LaFleur's catches much like in Pitt jumped up in year 2, as did his TD total

****In his only major outburst of TE prodcution, he had a HOF TE and a great WR in Bowe, who snagged 86/1022/7. They were responsible for at least 80 percent of the receptions on the team that year.

So, based on what he's done and the numbers behind it, Chan can use a TE. He chooses not to, and as a result I'm intrigued as to which TE this year will have that year 2 jump he has had in the past.

Thoughts?

Mr. Pink
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Thoughts? I already stated this in other threads. I didn't fully break down the numbers like you did but what's the point in going out and getting a Kevin Boss or the guy people here wanted, Zack Miller?

You're gonna pay either of those guys 4ish per season to watch them catch at best 30 balls a season?

Chan doesn't use tight ends and spending money on a perceived good tight end would be a complete waste.

methos4ever
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Thoughts? I already stated this in other threads. I didn't fully break down the numbers like you did but what's the point in going out and getting a Kevin Boss or the guy people here wanted, Zack Miller?

You're gonna pay either of those guys 4ish per season to watch them catch at best 30 balls a season?

Chan doesn't use tight ends and spending money on a perceived good tight end would be a complete waste.
Oh I agree with you. I have said it here and there, but there was nothing really behind it, just what I've seen and what has been shown by the Bills. I'm not a big chart type person, but I think the number of times that Gonzales was a WR in those alignments would actually drop his total catches if you broke them between that metric (WR align/TE align).

elltrain22
08-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I wish I had a dollar for everytime TE gets mentioned.

BillsFanCupp38
08-03-2011, 09:42 AM
All those tight ends sucked except Gonzalez... No talent...

better days
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
All those tight ends sucked except Gonzalez... No talent...

Exactly. Chan will make use of a talented player.

methos4ever
08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Exactly. Chan will make use of a talented player.
He also used Gonzales more as a Wr than a TE. So there's that.

Philagape
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Of course he's going to use a future HOFer in his prime that he inherited.
Gailey's MO is to fit his scheme to the talent.
But he's not going to say, "I need a receiving TE so I gotta go get one"

trapezeus
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
i think if the bills get a top flight TE, gailey will use him.

I think the numbers crunched are interesting. If you get a game changing player, he will use them. if you have average TE, and a bad OL (current situation), the TE are asked to chip in on the blocking and less on receiving.

I also think if spiller's blocking is more up to snuff, you'll see two back sets with fitz out of the gun. This way they get some protection and some deadly screen passes that stop the all out assaults our QB's have been facing the last couple years.

ddaryl
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I do agree that is seems like Gailey doesn't use the TE much in the O.. BUT If Gailey had a top receiving TE he would adjust to accommodate...

BUT we could still use an upgrade at TE even if it is just for a blocking TE IMO.

methos4ever
10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Bumped from the summer - Chandler 15 receptions for 133 yards and 6 TDs (so far) Leading all TE's and 2nd most receiving TDs for the year for all positions (Megatron has 11).

Go Bills!