PDA

View Full Version : Bills want to run more press coverage

madness
08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Florence back in familiar territory (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article510188.ece)
Free agency usually gives Drayton Florence a sense of enjoyment although this year was slightly different. Because of the lockout, the veteran cornerback knew the process would end quickly and -- if the offer were right -- he would remain with the Buffalo Bills.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/../mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalonews.com/Rodney McKissic | Posted at 01:20 PM

Florence likes that defensive coordinator George Edwards wants to run more press coverage and apply pressure on the quarterback off the edge more so than last season.

justasportsfan
08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I remember when Dick Lebeau was our DC, our D was nasty.

WeAreArthurMoates
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
This is great news, I don't know why they didn't do this last year, wonder what held him back.

psubills62
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
This is great news, I don't know why they didn't do this last year, wonder what held him back.
Didn't do what, press coverage? Probably because we had only one CB who was even remotely able to do it in Florence.

Jaybird
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
A bigger stronger Williams on the outside sure does make sense for this (along with Florence)

Aero II
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Not having Dave Wannstedt whispering in his ear held him back.

methos4ever
08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Not having Dave Wannstedt whispering in his ear held him back.
If you look back at Dave's time as a DC/HC, he doesn't like press. At all.

In fact, Dave W prefers the Pro Cover 2 as his shell defense with four guys rushing. On the Cowboys he had HOFs, at his other stops not so much.

Mr. Pink
08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Swell, if that's true McGee is absolutely useless on this team and is gonna get outmuscled and blown by consistently.

methos4ever
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Swell, if that's true McGee is absolutely useless on this team and is gonna get outmuscled and blown by consistently.
They'll probably run Mcgee more in the slot FTY - then he doesn't have to press and can just mirror the guy. Til them little legs give way of course.

madness
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM

We might see a lot more of him in the slot this year when opponents spread the field.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-03-2011, 02:30 PM
It all depends on your personnell - what are they good at.

1999 was the last time the Bills have a super defense. People cannot run at us at all. Then they had to deal with a HOF Bruce Smith on the line, a speedy strong Cowert and bunch of zione blitzes.

The current Bills do not have a Bruce Smith or Cowert. They are, however, banking on a strong D-line and and a revived Merriman.

Most people pin the hope on Dareus. I, however, believe the key is the improvement from Troupe. To me, he's more fitted to be a NT than Kyle. If he can control the 2 gaps like a true NT in a 3-4, I see big improvement in Bills D this year.

acehole
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
This is smart.

1. Brady runs a timing offense..this will disrupt his receivers from being where they need to be.

2. If they are not open at that time he will have to throw it away go for 2nd option.

3. 2nd option open about to throw...Darius in his grill down over.

Florence back in familiar territory (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article510188.ece)
Free agency usually gives Drayton Florence a sense of enjoyment although this year was slightly different. Because of the lockout, the veteran cornerback knew the process would end quickly and -- if the offer were right -- he would remain with the Buffalo Bills.
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/../mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalonews.com/Rodney McKissic | Posted at 01:20 PM

better days
08-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Didn't do what, press coverage? Probably because we had only one CB who was even remotely able to do it in Florence.

I think it had more to do with the lack of ability to put pressure on the QB last year myself.

acehole
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I think it had more to do with the lack of ability to put pressure on the QB last year myself.

The 2 are intertwined...when you are playing 10 yards off the ball as a db you are giving them the yards... the time it takes for the DB to come in to contact with the WR increases. More time for QB to throw = less sacks.

YardRat
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Florence likes that defensive coordinator George Edwards wants to run more press coverage and apply pressure on the quarterback off the edge more so than last season.

Geez...What a brilliant ****ing idea.

Maybe next year he can have another epiphany about being able to do the same by bringing guys up the middle.

better days
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
The 2 are intertwined...when you are playing 10 yards off the ball as a db you are giving them the yards... the time it takes for the DB to come in to contact with the WR increases. More time for QB to throw = less sacks.

It would not have mattered if the Bills had Revis last year. They did not have the ability to get to the QB.

acehole
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
It would not have mattered if the Bills had Revis last year. They did not have the ability to get to the QB.

The two are intertwined. The better the dbs the more time DL have to get to the qb. The better the DL the better the CB become at picking off balls and covering.

PS we sucked at pressure yes.