PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time Buffalo was at the max salary cap?

BuffaloBlitz83
08-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Just wondering?

theanswer74
08-04-2011, 12:38 AM
2000?

Griz78
08-04-2011, 05:45 AM
2005...had to restructure Schobel contract just to sign Mike Gandy and Kelly Holcomb.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:11 AM
2005...had to restructure Schobel contract just to sign Mike Gandy and Kelly Holcomb.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

If anyone ever wonders why the Bills can't win, just show them this statement.

X-Era
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Just wondering?Is not spending up to the cap being cheap?

Forward_Lateral
08-04-2011, 06:20 AM

This right here should explain to dumb dumbs that spending money just for the sake of having it, doesn't mean you'll be a contender.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Is not spending up to the cap being cheap?

Generally, yes, but I would say it depends on how far from the cap you are.

If you're a million or two short, it's not a big deal. Sometimes there's nobody worth spending the money on, and an extra million or two isn't going to get a guy who will make or break a season.

Once you start getting up to 4 or 5 million below the cap, then I have a REALLY hard time believing that there was no one that could help the team available for that much money.

X-Era
08-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Generally, yes, but I would say it depends on how far from the cap you are.

If you're a million or two short, it's not a big deal. Sometimes there's nobody worth spending the money on, and an extra million or two isn't going to get a guy who will make or break a season.

Once you start getting up to 4 or 5 million below the cap, then I have a REALLY hard time believing that there was no one that could help the team available for that much money.I find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone who can help the team now... at 25 or so mill under.

Wilfork vs. Urbik or Pears... Yep, all set.

I've said it over an over. This is another phase where we should compete. We choose not to.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:35 AM
I find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone who can help the team now... at 25 or so mill under.

Wilfork vs. Urbik or Pears... Yep, all set.

I've said it over an over. This is another phase where we should compete. We choose not to.

Pick your excuse:
1. "We're building through the draft."
2. "The Redskins got screwed on the Haynesworth deal, so signing FA's is a bad idea"
3. "we don't want to overpay."
4. "There is no one available at the position who will help us."
5. "FA's don't want to come to Buffalo."

Just remember, it's not Buddy's fault. It never is.

X-Era
08-04-2011, 06:41 AM
1. "We're building through the draft."- When will that start? I hope it's this year.
2. "The Redskins got screwed on the Haynesworth deal, so signing FA's is a bad idea"- Who said they had to sign Haynesworth? I'll take three guys who can help with the same money instead.
3. "we don't want to overpay."- Looks like they have'nt had to. When is the last time they way over payed vs. what other teams were offering? They may have a problem with the cost but the market is set by the other teams, not the Bills.
4. "There is no one available at the position who will help us."- Total BS. Right now there are a dozen at least that upgrade current players on this TC roster.
5. "FA's don't want to come to Buffalo."- Some don't. Again, I don't need Haynesworth type players. Give me a average RG and RT with that money right now and I would be fine.

And Nix and Brandon support the party line. Nix may actually believe he's doing the right thing but I'm not so sure. I think he would have spent another 10 or 15 mill if it were available.

Truth is this: There is no way you look at the right side of the line right now, with who we have starting right now, and walk away convinced they are good enough to stand up against the Pats, Jets, or Fins... much less pave the way for a better ground game.

You just can't have a strong football mind and say to yourself these guys are all we need.

The well may be just about dried up in FA at OL at this point, but there are still a few guys that may be better and would at least solidify depth.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:43 AM
1. "We're building through the draft."- When will that start? I hope it's this year.
2. "The Redskins got screwed on the Haynesworth deal, so signing FA's is a bad idea"- Who said they had to sign Haynesworth? I'll take three guys who can help with the same money instead.
3. "we don't want to overpay."- Looks like they have'nt had to. When is the last time they way over payed vs. what other teams were offering? They may have a problem with the cost but the market is set by the other teams, not the Bills.
4. "There is no one available at the position who will help us."- Total BS. Right now there are a dozen at least that upgrade current players on this TC roster.
5. "FA's don't want to come to Buffalo."- Some don't. Again, I don't need Haynesworth type players. Give me a average RG and RT with that money right now and I would be fine.

Hey, I'm with you. But every time you criticize the FO for lack of action on FA's, you will get these responses.

TacklingDummy
08-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Just because they have money to spend doesn't mean they should go out and spend money on garbage like Whitner, POS, etc. I'd rather be under the cap.

Look at last year, they had money to spend and they spend a bunch on Kelsay. Bad business right there.

X-Era
08-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Just because they have money to spend doesn't mean they should go out and spend money on garbage like Whitner, POS, etc. I'd rather be under the cap.

Look at last year, they had money to spend and the spend a bunch on Kelsay. Bad business right there.Where they spend is an issue I agree.

But which would you rather have: A team that can get to the playoffs or Ralph having a fatter wallet?

TacklingDummy
08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
But which would you rather have: A team that can get to the playoffs or Ralph having a fatter wallet?

When he spends we usually end up with garbage. I'd rather have the fatter wallet. Then when I need to give a huge signing bonus I'll have that money in the bank.

It's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:50 AM

Look at last year, they had money to spend and the spend a bunch on Kelsay. Bad business right there.

And that's the problem right there.

It's not a mutually exclusive choice between spending money on guys like Kelsay, Poz and Whitner and not spending money at all.

There are useful ways to spend the money, but somehow Russ Brandon's PR machine has managed to convince a large portion of Bills fans that spending money=bad, period. No exceptions.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
When he spends we usually end up with garbage. I'd rather have the fatter wallet. Then when I need to give a huge signing bonus I'll have that money in the bank.

It's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on.

Two problems with this:

1. Extra cap space doesn't carry over from year to year. If you don't use it, it's gone.

2. I don't trust Ralph to invest that money in a big signing bonus. If he's keeping it now, then he's probably going to keep it when someone is due for a new contract.

malvado78
08-04-2011, 06:54 AM

And Nix and Brandon support the party line. Nix may actually believe he's doing the right thing but I'm not so sure. I think he would have spent another 10 or 15 mill if it were available.

Truth is this: There is no way you look at the right side of the line right now, with who we have starting right now, and walk away convinced they are good enough to stand up against the Pats, Jets, or Fins... much less pave the way for a better ground game.

You just can't have a strong football mind and say to yourself these guys are all we need.

The well may be just about dried up in FA at OL at this point, but there are still a few guys that may be better and would at least solidify depth.

I am REALLY confused right now...

OP did you hack X-Era's account and come here to have a conversation with yourself?
:whistle:

X-Era
08-04-2011, 07:00 AM

OP did you hack X-Era's account and come here to have a conversation with yourself?
:whistle:Please. If you have known me during any previous off-seasons I have been saying the same thing.

I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet

X-Era
08-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Gotta head to work...

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 07:01 AM

:whistle:

Ha.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm borderline insane, but I haven't reached the point of conversations with myself. Yet.

TacklingDummy
08-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Two problems with this:

1. Extra cap space doesn't carry over from year to year. If you don't use it, it's gone.

2. I don't trust Ralph to invest that money in a big signing bonus. If he's keeping it now, then he's probably going to keep it when someone is due for a new contract.

Being a small market he probably needs to bank money to use if he needs to ever give out a contract to someone like Manning, Brees, Brady etc..

Could you imagine if the Bills had a Brady,Manning etc...Would they ever be able to sign them?

malvado78
08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Please. If you have known me during any previous off-seasons I have been saying the same thing.

I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet

Oh don't misunderstand...

I know you are fairly objective. I find that there are 3 sections of posters on the board:
1. Always over the top fanboi's
2. Middle of the road critical when need be, but not overly always negative (IMO You other examples Draftboy)
3. Always critical sky is falling (Granted this team has sucked so bad for so long it is difficult to tell group 2 from group 3 these days sometimes). Ex. OP (No offense and again you may be in group 2 if the team were any good)

I am likely in between groups 1 and 2 and the longer this team is as bad as they are the more cynical I get...

Your quoted post sounded exactly likely a OP post. Tone and all...

I agree/appreciate everything in the post...

:bullseye:

clumping platelets
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Redskins spend to the cap nearly every year, what have they done?

Spending to the cap does not equal winning........it's how those dollars are spent and who they are spent on.

X-Era
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Redskins spend to the cap nearly every year, what have they done?

Spending to the cap does not equal winning........it's how those dollars are spent and who they are spent on.Dumb spending to the cap doesn't equal winning, I agree. Not spending to the cap also doesn't appear to equal winning... just ask us.

Spend wisely to get better.

I would be fine right now if we had dropped another 10-12 mill on a few other players at key positions. Not stars, but guys capable of starting. RG and RT are the most pressing... then maybe TE.

We may still invest in the team, but if we don't we should have no reason to believe Pears or Urbik are all we need at those very important positions.

Buddo
08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
TBH, it's an area I'm curious about, and Clump, you may be the best one to give an answer to.
What happens with all the Street FA types, and waiver signings - how is that money accounted for? Particularly as the season goes on.
See, I'm more inclined to think that you ideally need to be 4 or 5 million under the cap, to make roster moves through the season, because I'm assuming money spent there, will count against the cap.
Over the last few years, the Bills have ended up bringing in a barrow load of players, to cover guys who have headed to IR, and I believe it's only prudent to have enough cap space to be able to do that.
If I'm right in my assumptions, then it could be that somewhere between 5 and 10 million is actually a sensible amount to be under the cap.