PDA

View Full Version : Teams will have until Friday to get within compliance

Extremebillsfan247
08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Seven teams still remain over the cap limit: (Rams, Falcons, Cowboys, Lions, Texans, Steelers, and Raiders). Scattered reports are saying once the League year starts, scheduled to be opened officially at 4pm eastern time today, all teams will have until Friday to be within compliance of the new CBA. Any team not in compliance by Friday will have all prior trades and free agent signings voided according to what I'm hearing.

The reason this is important is that yesterday a thread on this board talked about a Bills and Texans trade rumor popping up on the Bills main board for a TE. If anything happens between us and the Texans, it will be within the next 24 hours. 4 of those teams on the list are still 8 million dollars over the cap limit, or higher. The Texans are one of them. You can expect trades, and more cuts to happen from all teams mentioned.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
what about teams that haven't yet reached the cap FLOOR?

Extremebillsfan247
08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
what about teams that haven't yet reached the cap FLOOR?There's no cap floor until 2013.

OpIv37
08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
There's no cap floor until 2013.

yeah, well, I'd like confirmation on that, because the last time this issue came up, it remained unresolved. No one was able to come up with an authoritative source for either side on it.

Bill Cody
08-04-2011, 09:17 AM
yeah, well, I'd like confirmation on that, because the last time this issue came up, it remained unresolved. No one was able to come up with an authoritative source for either side on it.

http://www.bengals101.com/2011/07/31/nfl-salary-floor-rule-doesnt-apply-this-season/

jamze132
08-04-2011, 09:21 AM
I can confirm it. I had a buddy at the meetings.

Bill Cody
08-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I can confirm it. I had a buddy at the meetings.

AA?

Ickybaluky
08-04-2011, 09:36 AM
As of this morning, per Adam Schefter, it is down to 5 teams:

As of this morning, there are five teams over the salary cap: OAK $15.25 mil; PITT $8.5m; DET $7.8m; DALLAS $6.7m: HOUSTON $3.25m.

The cap is just an accounting number. You can cut a player or re-work a deal to get under.

There hasn't been cap issues for any team in the NFL in recent years because the cap is growing at a rapid rate. If that rate of growth slowed, then you would see teams with cap issues. Some teams are pushing cap charges into the future with the plan being the cap keeps going up. They only way they get in trouble is if it doesn't.

jamze132
08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
As of this morning, per Adam Schefter, it is down to 5 teams:

The cap is just an accounting number. You can cut a player or re-work a deal to get under.

There hasn't been cap issues for any team in the NFL in recent years because the cap is growing at a rapid rate. If that rate of growth slowed, then you would see teams with cap issues. Some teams are pushing cap charges into the future with the plan being the cap keeps going up. They only way they get in trouble is if it doesn't.
The cap didn't really go up this year, so there will be teams that struggle in the next 24 hours to get under.

Ickybaluky
08-04-2011, 09:44 AM
The cap didn't really go up this year, so there will be teams that struggle in the next 24 hours to get under.

But it is expected to grow a lot in the coming years when the new TV deals kick in. Teams will push the money into the future and cover it with the growth in the cap. Teams can always clear room with some simple accounting.

The only way there is an issue is if the cap doesn't grow as expected. Then you will see some teams get in trouble. It probably keeps growing, though.

FlyingDutchman
08-04-2011, 09:54 AM
How is Oakland that far over the cap and still this terrible?

psubills62
08-04-2011, 10:00 AM
You're really asking that after what they paid Javon Walker a couple years ago?

Extremebillsfan247
08-04-2011, 10:04 AM
How is Oakland that far over the cap and still this terrible? http://leftcoastsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/al-davis.jpg When this guy is looking over your shoulder, it's his way, or the highway. lol It's tough to win that way. Al Davis is Ralph Wilson to the extreme. The Raiders are at their best when he isn't meddling. JMO

jamze132
08-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Are they still paying Jamarcus Russell? LOL

DraftBoy
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM

They are redoing Seymour's deal to save 11.5, them being over will be solved quickly.