PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the NFL salary cap, salary floor, what it means for Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Michael82
08-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I know we aren't the Bucs, but I saw this article and figured you guys would want to see it. Sounds like the Bills "Cash to Cap" to me. It has a lot of the stuff that X-Era and other were talking about.....

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/explaining-the-nfl-salary-cap-salary-floor-what-it-means-for-tampa-bay/1184190

Is there or is there not a salary "floor" this season?
There is no minimum payroll. But the 32 teams combined must spend $3.8 billion in cash (salaries and bonuses) by the end of the season.

So what does that mean for the Bucs?
It means there is no set amount the Bucs must spend on their payroll this season. The only salary requirement for 2011 is that leaguewide $3.8 billion.

Well, if there's no minimum, is there a salary cap?
Yes, teams are capped at just more than $120 million. (Actually, they can borrow up to $3 million from next year's cap if they want, so it's more like $123 million.) So that's the most any team can spend in cap dollars. But be aware that "cap" dollars and "cash" dollars are not the same.

justasportsfan
08-04-2011, 01:03 PM
if the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are known as the "Bucs",
and the Jacksonville Jaguars are known as the "Jags"
, What does that make the Tennessee Titans ?

X-Era
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I know we aren't the Bucs, but I saw this article and figured you guys would want to see it. Sounds like the Bills "Cash to Cap" to me. It has a lot of the stuff that X-Era and other were talking about.....

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/explaining-the-nfl-salary-cap-salary-floor-what-it-means-for-tampa-bay/1184190At this point I'm kind of done with it. It looked like there was a glimmer of hope that we would be competitive in this phase of trying to get better... But I realize that's probably just not the case. The next point where I become interested on this topic will be in 2013 (89%) rule.

This is interesting:

"Then the 32 teams must make up the deficit in cash, which goes into a fund and is distributed to the players."

So Ralph could end up paying money to a fund instead of putting it into better talent on his own team? As sick as it sounds, I will honestly laugh if that ends up being the case.

Michael82
08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
At this point I'm kind of done with it. It looked like there was a glimmer of hope that we would be competitive in this phase of trying to get better... But I realize that's probably just not the case. The next point where I become interested on this topic will be in 2013 (89%) rule.

This is interesting:

"Then the 32 teams must make up the deficit in cash, which goes into a fund and is distributed to the players."

So Ralph could end up paying money to a fund instead of putting it into better talent on his own team? As sick as it sounds, I will honestly laugh if that ends up being the case.

:rofl: I don't see him needing to do that, because a lot of teams spent a ton of cash already.

YardRat
08-05-2011, 06:19 AM
:beers: