PDA

View Full Version : Donte owes me and the fans of Cincy an apology

Coach Sal
08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I have the texts to prove what he wrote to me earlier today. I can't believe he did this. Wow. My apologies to all of you.

mayotm
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
No worries Coach. Most of us really don't care where he went.

mikemac2001
Don't worry

its something he would do

TacklingDummy
That's ok Moran..err...I mean Sal.

mikemac2001
08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I have the texts to prove what he wrote to me earlier today. I can't believe he did this. Wow. My apologies to all of you.

He owes us all an apology for the way he played in buffalo

FlyingDutchman
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
no worries, not your fault he thought that was funny...I still dont get it

Italian Stallion
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
who cares where he went. good riddance

BLeonard
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Based on Whitner's past, I'm guessing he probably did it intentionally, just to get more attention than other FA's that can actually keep their word and not try and bull**** everyone...

It's not like his word has been anywhere near ironclad in the past, why start now?

-Bill

Mindbender
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
yikes, what an idiot.

sdbillsfan2
08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
we would have posted the same..... no biggie !

X-Era
08-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I have the texts to prove what he wrote to me earlier today. I can't believe he did this. Wow. My apologies to all of you.Screw him. It's his last attempt to stick it to the media and really anyone... It's out of spite because he was very wrong about how good he thinks he was and what that was worth.

No apology necessary. You're a solid guy and he's a sleaze ball. Keep up the good work... I'm really looking forward to tuning in when you're on WGR.

Night Train
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM
San Fran jumped in at the last minute with a new 4G phone with lifetime tweeting !

justasportsfan
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
what kind of source are you? forget wgr, back to the basement for you!!!

Ed
08-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Maybe he did intend to sign with Cincy earlier and the 9ers came through at the last minute? It doesn't really matter though either way.

Bengal fans should be grateful anyway, not upset.

Crisis
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder if he got a Bengals tattoo already?

justasportsfan
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
three-year, $11 million contract with $4.5 million guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/donte-whitner-changes-course-joins-49ers/related/

what happened to 5m per year?

bf1
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Just Whitner being Whitner.

Dujek
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
What a ****ing arsehole.

He won't be missed.

mrbojanglezs
08-04-2011, 05:26 PM
doesn't surprise me, donte is really a scummy guy no matter how good he comes off most times, he continues to show how scummy he is

Didn't he promise superbowl tickets than changed the rules and refused to give them to the prerson who won

camelcowboy
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
His apology is on twitter now

Coach Sal
08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I appreciate Donte aplogizing in a public forum.

Been a crazy day.

Time to move on.

tampabay25690
08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Sal its all good man..
Agent probably made a last move and got more guarantee $$$ from san Fran....
Donte prob did think he was going to Cinci.....
It happens..

Won't be the last time this will happen to you....

BertSquirtgum
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
donte whitner sucks and he's a peice of **** of a human being. **** off in gay town *******.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Who cares Sal, he doesn't owe you ****. You are media. He can change his mind or give incorrect info. Doubt it was on purpose. Even if it wasn't. What have you done for him lol.

You are more upset cause it makes your credibility look worse. But you and all other insider reporters are more wrong then right but that's not a bad thing. Comes with the gig.

mayotm
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Who cares Sal, he doesn't owe you ****. You are media. He can change his mind or give incorrect info. Doubt it was on purpose. Even if it wasn't. What have you done for him lol.

You are more upset cause it makes your credibility look worse. But you and all other insider reporters are more wrong then right but that's not a bad thing. Comes with the gig.Wow. Thanks for posting this again. I guess the other thread you posted this in wasn't enough. You must be very proud of this post.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow. Thanks for posting this again. I guess the other thread you posted this in wasn't enough. You must be very proud of this post.

I posted this in the wrong thread originally. But I'll post my response here too.

Nothing against Sal! I actually supported his stream show. And follow him on twitter. I just thought he was wrong in this case and came off whiny. He has a ob where being wrong happens often and is part of gig. I don't think I crossed the line. I like Sal, but I don't have to support him on every action.

Does the Media apologize for tweeting or writing wrong info?

Coach Sal
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM

You are more upset cause it makes your credibility look worse. But you and all other insider reporters are more wrong then right but that's not a bad thing. Comes with the gig.

There's a difference between finding out something through a source about a 3rd party and reporting it vs. someone intentionally reaching out to you to give you specific info on themselves, giving you permission to make it public, and then changing the information without giving a heads-up before doing so.

That's my only issue here. I'm not mad whatsoever about Donte changing his mind. I don't think he had any malice in what happened. I do believe he should have at least given me the chance to make the correction myself after he REACHED OUT TO ME to make the original info public.

That's the professional - and the RIGHT - thing to do.

But you are right about the last part, this comes with the territory. I understand that, believe me. And it will make me better and tougher for it in the long run.

As I told me wife, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me in my career, I'll have a great career!

BuffaloBlitz83
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
There's a difference between finding out something through a source about a 3rd party and reporting it vs. someone intentionally reaching out to you to give you specific info on themselves, giving you permission to make it public, and then changing the information without giving a heads-up before doing so.

That's my only issue here. I'm not mad whatsoever about Donte changing his mind. I don't think he had any malice in what happened. I do believe he should have at least given me the chance to make the correction myself after he REACHED OUT TO ME to make the original info public.

That's the professional - and the RIGHT - thing to do.

But you are right about the last part, this comes with the territory. I understand that, believe me. And it will make me better and tougher for it in the long run.

As I told me wife, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me in my career, I'll have a great career!

Ya this is nothing. It won't hurt you in your career. You will do great. You have a passion for your job. good Luck! I wasn't trying to attack you at all.

bills4ver
08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
lol at 3 years 11m with only 4.5m guaranteed

Thought he was top 5 in the league and wants 5m+ year?

hahaha

BuffaloBlitz83
08-04-2011, 08:58 PM
lol at 3 years 11m with only 4.5m guaranteed

Thought he was top 5 in the league and wants 5m+ year?

hahaha

Not a bad deal looking at what a guy like Braylon Edwards signed. 1 yr 3.5 M

BertSquirtgum
08-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Not a bad deal looking at what a guy like Braylon Edwards signed. 1 yr 3.5 M

braylon edwards is also another dwi and a one year suspension waiting to happen.

Luisito23
08-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Sorry, but he doesn't owe you *****...It's his life.

Luisito23
08-05-2011, 03:31 AM
If it's any conciliation, you just got an apology from me, so...

jcdavey
08-05-2011, 05:12 AM
donte whitner sucks and he's a peice of **** of a human being. **** off in gay town *******.
gay town?

homosexuals can't marry in cali but they can in NY lol

gay town? haha

http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/epic-win-photos-pride-win.jpg

Extremebillsfan247
08-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is the way I view what transpired. We all knew the kind of person Whitner was before that incident, so it probably didn't surprise anyone. It did get the attention of quite a few media personalities that I follow on Twitter who are no slouches in media circles. But, he isn't with Buffalo, a lot of us had already put him behind us, and to be quite honest are glad he found a team other than Buffalo.

His approach to how he handled that situation could have been better, but it's Donte Whitner. That's the kind of thing your going to get from him. He isn't much different from the kind of personality that Willis McGahee was. Overvaluing his talent, blaming his own shortcomings on his team rather than reflecting on himself, lashing out at the fan base when things don't go well, and bashing the city are just commonalities with him, and players like him. So in hindsight, I don't think anyone will hold this kind of thing against you. Whitner's reputation that preceded that whole incident, just became more mainstream than it was previously. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. He's the 49ers problem now. JMO

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 10:20 AM
The city of Cincinnati should be thanking him for not signing with the Bengals.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Here is the way I view what transpired. We all knew the kind of person Whitner was before that incident, so it probably didn't surprise anyone. It did get the attention of quite a few media personalities that I follow on Twitter who are no slouches in media circles. But, he isn't with Buffalo, a lot of us had already put him behind us, and to be quite honest are glad he found a team other than Buffalo.

His approach to how he handled that situation could have been better, but it's Donte Whitner. That's the kind of thing your going to get from him. He isn't much different from the kind of personality that Willis McGahee was. Overvaluing his talent, blaming his own shortcomings on his team rather than reflecting on himself, lashing out at the fan base when things don't go well, and bashing the city are just commonalities with him, and players like him. So in hindsight, I don't think anyone will hold this kind of thing against you. Whitner's reputation that preceded that whole incident, just became more mainstream than it was previously. It's all good as far as I'm concerned. He's the 49ers problem now. JMO

To be fair, at least McGahee had a reason why he couldn't perform at the level in the NFL that he could in college. That knee injury definitely reduced what McGahee brought to the table.

ServoBillieves
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Coach, love the show, nothing to worry about with that mediocre "player", it's another attempt at him trying to let everyone speculate about him.

You > Whitless.

Man I can't wait til Searcy shows that knucklehead up..

The Popcorn
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Didn't the Bills offer him a better contract extension, last year, than what he got from San Francisco? If so, he should fire his agent.

Ed
08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Didn't the Bills offer him a better contract extension, last year, than what he got from San Francisco? If so, he should fire his agent.
No, he should fire his ego. His agent probably wanted the deal.

tatersalad
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/31124530

this guy had it right

YardRat
08-05-2011, 08:34 PM
http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/31124530

this guy had it right

lol...He's pretty much getting hammered in the comments section for acting like a pussy.

YardRat
08-05-2011, 08:34 PM
If you want to play with fire, you have to accept there is a possibility that you're going to get burned.

Coach Sal
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but he doesn't owe you *****...It's his life.

Yeah, I know it is and he has every right to go to any team he chooses and even change his mind at the last second. I have no issue with that.

The reason I wanted him to apologize (which he did, by the way, so apparently, he DID feel he owed it to me) was because if he's going to choose me to give the info to, then ask me to hold off on making it public (which I did), then ask me AGAIN to hold off on making it public (which I did AGAIN....respecting his own wishes so he could talk with his new position coach first), he could have at least held off on texting me "OK, Sal, you can release it......I'm a Bengal!" if there was any chance at all that wasn't actually going to be the case.

I didn't want an apology for him changing his mind. I wanted one for him putting me in that situation when it was totally avoidable. That's all.

Coach Sal
08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
The above post is the last time I will address this issue.

I've moved on. **** happens. It will only make me tougher and better at what I do.

I harbor no resentment towards Donte Whitner for this, as crazy as that sounds. I just wish he had handled this differently, that's all. He's getting enough **** from Bengals fans and others in the media for me to be angry and go after him. Also, he's not a Bill, nor a Bills FA anymore, so I don't care what he does or doesn't do in San Fran.

I very respected national media member who I spoke with about this last night said to me, "your credibility has been enhanced by the way you handled it." That's nice to hear and I can only hope so.

In the meantime, as the starter of this thread, I am requesting admin to lock it, please. Thanks!

Dr. Lecter
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Locked.