PDA

View Full Version : New QB Smith sees talent on Bills roster, looks to turn heads

BillsWin
08-05-2011, 09:44 AM
New free-agent signee Brad Smith sees the Bills as a team eager to prove people wrong.

"I come from a place where everyone tells me I can't do something, you're not good enough and you don't fit in here. I think we have a group of guys who feel that way, too. We may be not the most respected group of guys because of whatever reason. I think we are so talented right now that we are going to prove a lot of people wrong. ...

"I look at the roster and I see just as much talent as those teams. It's not really about who you have; it's what you do with what you have."

Per Buffalo News.

Good attitude to have from Smith.

Pinkerton Security
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
QB? We didnt bring him in to play QB did we?

mikemac2001
08-05-2011, 10:05 AM

we brought him in as a weapon and he will likely be used at QB at times

the nice thing about running with QB's he can then switch to any position on the Offense :dance3:

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 10:05 AM

He's listed as the 3rd QB on the depth chart AND Gailey has said he is the third QB.

trapezeus
08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
i hope the bills packages for him are more imaginative than wildcat run plays. i hope they are off reverses, of him lining up as H back and rolling out and back. I'd love to see the bills but in a crazy formation that just has teams confused out of their mind on how to stop.

Philagape
08-05-2011, 10:16 AM

And linebacker.

McBFLO
08-05-2011, 10:32 AM
3rd QB/WR/KR/OW = offensive weapon

EDS
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Very unusual for a newly signed player to complement his new team. Typically you expect free agent signings to come in and unfavorably compare the talent on the new team to their old team.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I think a double flea flicker reverse will be his go to play.

I mean it works in Flag Football...

trapezeus
08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
thanks for that DB. I just hope the bills can be more creative than wildcat. because for the most part, the wildcat bores the crap out of me because the QB hardly throws out of it and it's a slow developing option play that typically runs out of room.

If he is going to be a QB on plays, i want to see him get it in situations were the defense isn't really sure what's going happen because it comes out of a regular formation

better days
08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
thanks for that DB. I just hope the bills can be more creative than wildcat. because for the most part, the wildcat bores the crap out of me because the QB hardly throws out of it and it's a slow developing option play that typically runs out of room.

If he is going to be a QB on plays, i want to see him get it in situations were the defense isn't really sure what's going happen because it comes out of a regular formation

When Chan was OC in Pittsburg with Kordell "Slash" Stewart, I never heard his offense called wildcat.

I think Chan will be creative in his use of Smith myself. I do know Jets fans were not happy about losing Smith, so that is a good sign about his ability.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I do respect the dudes optimism, sorry I don't share in it though.

We'll see if he sings the same tune after week 10.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
When Chan was OC in Pittsburg with Kordell "Slash" Stewart, I never heard his offense called wildcat.

I think Chan will be creative in his use of Smith myself. I do know Jets fans were not happy about losing Smith, so that is a good sign about his ability.

Please don't compare Kordell Stewart and Brad Smith.

better days
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Please don't compare Kordell Stewart and Brad Smith.

Why not? They are both very good athletes with a varied skill set.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Why not? They are both very good athletes with a varied skill set.

Because one is actually a QB, while the other is not.

Mski
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Please don't compare Kordell Stewart and Brad Smith.im failing to see the reason not to compare them, other than that slash played more QB than smith

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
im failing to see the reason not to compare them, other than that slash played more QB than smith

Stewart was an actual QB, he has refined QB skills, he was more than just a black QB who was around 6'1-6'2 and could run fast.

Smith does not have that, he made plays as a QB with his legs which opened up massive passing areas for a below adequate arm (and I dont just mean arm strength). He does not read defenses well, he hasn't been asked to that in many years.

You don't just compare people based on similar size and athletic ability. You have to look at their actual skills, and when you do that, you see that any comparison people are trying to make as a reason why we signed Smith is null and void.

better days
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
im failing to see the reason not to compare them, other than that slash played more QB than smith

And he did not play QB all that well.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
And he did not play QB all that well.

Nobody said he was an All-Pro but there was a reason he was a starter for 7 NFL seasons to Brad Smith's 0. Its not just an odd coincidence.

better days
08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Nobody said he was an All-Pro but there was a reason he was a starter for 7 NFL seasons to Brad Smith's 0. Its not just an odd coincidence.

Well the fact is Kordell was not a good QB & only exceeded 60% CMP% 2 times as a starter. He had much more value as slash & this is where the comparison comes in with Smith.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
A better comparison to Brad Smith is Josh Cribbs or Antwaan Randle El.

Kordell Stewart actually showed he could play QB at the NFL level.

AB4now
08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
A better comparison to Brad Smith is Josh Cribbs or Antwaan Randle El.

Kordell Stewart actually showed he could play QB at the NFL level.
i agree. gimmick passing can work on occasion with trick plays BUT from what i say at camp a full time qb he is not. i would like to see him in more of a wr role than some hybrid qb. he didnt run with the wideouts once in practice and he didnt field a punt/ kick return. it was his first practice so hopefully they sway away from the qb stuff in the near future.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Well the fact is Kordell was not a good QB & only exceeded 60% CMP% 2 times as a starter. He had much more value as slash & this is where the comparison comes in with Smith.

No the comparison to Smith comes from the fact that he's black, athletic and relatively the same size.

better days
08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
No the comparison to Smith comes from the fact that he's black, athletic and relatively the same size.

The fact both are black has no place in the comparison as far as I am concerned. If either were white I would make the same comparison.

DraftBoy
08-05-2011, 02:05 PM
The fact both are black has no place in the comparison as far as I am concerned. If either were white I would make the same comparison.

You just made my point for me.

The Jokeman
08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Would you rather we compare him to Hines Ward?

Don't Panic
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM

I think the athletic part is the focus... the dude did start 4 straight years at a major D-1 school setting passing and rushing records along the way. He may not be an NFL QB but he is definitely an NFL player capable of playing QB. The ratio of time spent at a position may not be the same as Kordell's but that doesn't make the comparison void... or racist.

Anyway, I love his attitude and I think we are going to see the most diverse offense in the league this year out of the Bills. Not saying that will result in the most effective offense in the league, but it should make us competitive on that side of the ball.

I think Chan said to himself rather than ask more out of Fitz, which along with an improved O Line and more production out of Spiller and the TE spot were what was necessary to improve the offense, rather than that, I'll ask him to do what he did but with a compliment (or two) that will keep defenses guessing. I think confusing the opposing D is the total mindset here.

I also think we're going to have a few looks a game where Smith and Thigpen are on the field at the same time in one of multiple spots. Sometimes it'll be Smith lined wide out, sometimes under center. They can get very creative with those two. In addition to what should be an improved D, I'm looking forward to seeing who the gameplan unfolds play by play. Should be a fun team to watch.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I think the athletic part is the focus... the dude did start 4 straight years at a major D-1 school setting passing and rushing records along the way. He may not be an NFL QB but he is definitely an NFL player capable of playing QB. The ratio of time spent at a position may not be the same as Kordell's but that doesn't make the comparison void... or racist.

Ok, then Antwaan Randle El is definitely an NFL player capable of playing QB.

That doesn't mean Randle El = Kordell either though.

Mski
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM

That doesn't mean Randle El = Kordell either though.agreed, but randle el is not virtually the same size as stewart either

PromoTheRobot
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
He's only in camp with these guys. What does he know? Not like us.

PTR

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 02:51 PM
He's only in camp with these guys. What does he know? Not like us.

PTR

:rofl:

Every year someone on this team likes their chances, thinks they're going to the playoffs etc...and every year they suck. Players cannot be impartial judges of their team.

One day, everyone will learn this and we'll stop seeing dopey posts like the one I'm quoting.

mayotm
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
:rofl:

Every year someone on this team likes their chances, thinks they're going to the playoffs etc...and every year they suck. Players cannot be impartial judges of their team.

One day, everyone will learn this and we'll stop seeing dopey posts like the one I'm quoting.You could just go away. That way, you don't have to read any of the dopey posts. Problem solved.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
You could just go away. That way, you don't have to read any of the dopey posts. Problem solved.

Considering you obviously don't like my posts, you could just put me on ignore too. Problem solved from your end.

You're welcome!

Thurmal
08-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Very unusual for a newly signed player to complement his new team. Typically you expect free agent signings to come in and unfavorably compare the talent on the new team to their old team.
Wouldn't it be funny if I guy came to a new team and was like, "I'll be honest with you, I played with guys in high school that were more talented than some of these humps."

Kinda like how, after athletes thanking God for victories since the beginning of sports, Stevie Johnson became the first to blame Him for a loss.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if I guy came to a new team and was like, "I'll be honest with you, I played with guys in high school that were more talented than some of these humps."

Kinda like how, after athletes thanking God for victories since the beginning of sports, Stevie Johnson became the first to blame Him for a loss.

Would never happen, you'd be instantly hated in both the locker room and among the fan base. On top of that around the NFL people would think twice about giving you a contract when you'd inevitably end up being released. Especially when you're a mid tier player.

better days
08-05-2011, 04:06 PM

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? How did I make your point?

Don't Panic
08-05-2011, 04:46 PM

That doesn't mean Randle El = Kordell either though.

No, but he doesn't have to. How many guys can play both WR and QB at times with some level of effectiveness? In the last twenty years.... maybe two dozen? Doesn't that therefore create a category worthy of comparison? Even if they're all black guys.... DB?

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
No, but he doesn't have to. How many guys can play both WR and QB at times with some level of effectiveness? In the last twenty years.... maybe two dozen? Doesn't that therefore create a category worthy of comparison? Even if they're all black guys.... DB?

Since when does 4 completions in 4 full seasons show that someone can play QB with some level of effectiveness at the NFL level?

better days
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Since when does 4 completions in 4 full seasons show that someone can play QB with some level of effectiveness at the NFL level?
Well the fact those 4 completions came in only 7 attempts would show some level of effectivness. Nobody is expecting him to be the QB on a full time basis, just to throw the ball on occasion.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Well the fact those 4 completions came in only 7 attempts would show some level of effectivness. Nobody is expecting him to be the QB on a full time basis, just to throw the ball on occasion.

Yes, 7 attempts in 4 years.

If by on occasion you mean 2 times in a season, then by all means, keep up the point.

But comparing a guy who on average throws the ball twice a year to a guy who went over 400 attempts in 3 different seasons is beyond asinine.

better days
08-05-2011, 05:46 PM

If by on occasion you mean 2 times in a season, then by all means, keep up the point.

But comparing a guy who on average throws the ball twice a year to a guy who went over 400 attempts in 3 different seasons is beyond asinine.

What is asinine is to think they are being compared as QB's. Especially since it has already been stated that is not the case.

They are being compared as PLAYMAKERS that are versatile & can make plays on the field a number of different ways.

"I see him being used in a similar role as I used Kordell in Pittsburg"-Chan Gailey.

YardRat
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
If I were an opposing DC, I wouldn't work too much (if at all) on pass defense against packages that the Bill's have Smith taking snaps from the center. Switch to man, let the FS cover full/deep, and load up the box to the stop the run that's coming.

I'm cautiously optimistic that he may be correct to a certain degree and we have more talent right now than some people are going to give us credit for.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
What is asinine is to think they are being compared as QB's. Especially since it has already been stated that is not the case.

They are being compared as PLAYMAKERS that are versatile & can make plays on the field a number of different ways.

"I see him being used in a similar role as I used Kordell in Pittsburg"-Chan Gailey.

You're the one who compared them in this very thread dude.

better days
08-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Yes I compared them, but not as QB's. I have maintained from the begining that Kordells value was as "Slash", a playmaker not as a QB.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes I compared them, but not as QB's. I have maintained from the begining that Kordells value was as "Slash", a playmaker not as a QB.

Problem is, outside of Stewarts rookie season, he didn't have much value as "Slash" either.

He was 11 of 30 100 yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs in his second season.

Here's Kordell's 2 year totals in his "slash" role as a passer....16 of 37 for 160 yards 1TD 2INTs.

Where's the value?

mikemac2001
08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Problem is, outside of Stewarts rookie season, he didn't have much value as "Slash" either.

Here's Kordell's 2 year totals in his "slash" role as a passer....16 of 37 for 160 yards 1TD 2INTs.

Where's the value?

i would rather have stats on the plays in which he was in the game as a slash role

not trying to agrue (his stats sucked) but who knows what complications he caused to the D or focus its almost impossiable to know at this point. also the time lost by DC who had to spend time on what could ****ing happen. also have to look at the total package Runs/catches/PR/KR and special team plays (fake punts bc i think he was punting then)

overall is brad smith a QB no he is a playmaker who gives us more options in our offense and yes he can make plays to change the ball game and give us a spark. this is also i very different game from back when he played, the game is spread out more favoring the offense.

u might not like the signing thats fine, you are correct he isn't a QB

but don't deny his playmaking ability

Luisito23
08-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I guess he'll come in handy on Madden.

paranoid
08-05-2011, 08:01 PM

So, are you just accusing him of being racist? What are you playing at here?

paranoid
08-05-2011, 08:03 PM

So what? Two players with multiple offensive threat capabilities, both under Gailey.

It's not like it's an outrageous comparison for the sake of discussion. I honestly do not understand the belligerence here demonstrated by you and DB.

mightysimi
08-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Based on this logic, Ladanian Tomlison is one hell of a QB!! 8 for 12 with 7 TDs

YardRat
08-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Based on this logic, Ladanian Tomlison is one hell of a QB!! 8 for 12 with 7 TDs

I'd be very happy with that kind of production out of Smith this year.

better days

No, based on this logic, Ladanian Tomlinson was one hell of a playmaker.

Don't Panic

The comparison is in guys who can line up under center and out wide... nothing more.

better days
08-05-2011, 08:24 PM

Where's the value?

That is true, because Stewart acted like an insolent child that does not know what is good for himself & threw a tantrum until they gave him the position of QB which he then sucked at.

Mr. Pink
08-05-2011, 08:35 PM
So what? Two players with multiple offensive threat capabilities, both under Gailey.

It's not like it's an outrageous comparison for the sake of discussion. I honestly do not understand the belligerence here demonstrated by you and DB.

Belligerence?

Where?

I'm pointing out facts. In the 4 seasons Brad Smith has decided to try his hand at playing QB by throwing 7 passes completing 4. Meanwhile people are comparing ProBowl QBs to the guy. Yes, bash Kordell Stewart as much as you want he was a ProBowler.

Why not just go all the way and compare Smith to Michael Vick instead? Vick in his rookie year was mainly a gimmick player.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 08:18 AM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? How did I make your point?

You said if it was two white QB's you'd compare them to. My point wasn't that it was because they were black you're were making the comparison my point was that because they were of the same skin color. You jumped to a far reaching conclusion about my point and in the end you proved my actual point for me.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 08:24 AM

Anyway, I love his attitude and I think we are going to see the most diverse offense in the league this year out of the Bills. Not saying that will result in the most effective offense in the league, but it should make us competitive on that side of the ball.

I think Chan said to himself rather than ask more out of Fitz, which along with an improved O Line and more production out of Spiller and the TE spot were what was necessary to improve the offense, rather than that, I'll ask him to do what he did but with a compliment (or two) that will keep defenses guessing. I think confusing the opposing D is the total mindset here.

I also think we're going to have a few looks a game where Smith and Thigpen are on the field at the same time in one of multiple spots. Sometimes it'll be Smith lined wide out, sometimes under center. They can get very creative with those two. In addition to what should be an improved D, I'm looking forward to seeing who the gameplan unfolds play by play. Should be a fun team to watch.

Again you don't understand my point if you think racism or bigotry has anything to do with it. Read the post above.

Lots of players start multiple years at DI schools who won't be QB's in the NFL, here are some well known names we haven't discussed;
Isaiah Stanback
Woody Dantzler
Eric Crouch
Arnaz Battle
Drew Bennett
Hines Ward
Michael Robinson
Matt Schobel
Patrick Crayton (DII)
Matt Jones
Marcus Vick
Marques Haggans

DraftBoy
So, are you just accusing him of being racist? What are you playing at here?

Sigh, accusations of racism or bigotry are lazy. I dont do that. Read the posts again.

Don't Panic
You said if it was two white QB's you'd compare them to. My point wasn't that it was because they were black you're were making the comparison my point was that because they were of the same skin color. You jumped to a far reaching conclusion about my point and in the end you proved my actual point for me.

actually, he said if either were white. The point he was making was that race didn't matter.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Belligerence?

Failure to understand a point and jumping to broad and ridiculous conclusions is what has occurred here.

Yet FTY and I are the ones being belligerent. This board never ceases to amaze me.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
actually, he said if either were white. The point he was making was that race didn't matter.

But what he said didn't show that.

He said if they were both white he would make same conclusions, which proves my point. That the two being of the same skin color does in fact matter.

better days
08-06-2011, 09:42 AM

He said if they were both white he would make same conclusions, which proves my point. That the two being of the same skin color does in fact matter.

NO I did not say if they were both white. I said if EITHER were white, in other words one or the other, NOT BOTH.

According to the dictionary, Either:being one or the other of two.

If I remember correctly, & I believe I do, you tried to accuse me of criticizing Cam Newton at the time of the draft based on his being black. I responded that as a Bucs fan I am very happy to have Freeman as QB & Morris as HC.

better days
08-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Sigh, accusations of racism or bigotry are lazy. I dont do that. Read the posts again.

Well, I guess you are LAZY. You should read the posts again & also get yourself a dictionary.

paranoid
08-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Belligerence?

Failure to understand a point and jumping to broad and ridiculous conclusions is what has occurred here.

Yet FTY and I are the ones being belligerent. This board never ceases to amaze me.

Of course, belligerence. Snarky, veiled, passive-aggressive attacks on someone who is merely opening up a line of discussion, is belligerent.

"Jumping to broad and ridiculous conclusions" is indeed what has occurred here...like trying to insert some fictitious racial motives into a nominally reasonable topic of conversation. Accusing someone of being racist is not only bellicose but quite often an uninformed, knee-jerk cheap shot.

I agree with your assessment of the never-ending and amazing nature of entertainingly odd statements made on this board.

Please keep up with your draft assessments, I enjoy them very much and think you have a great talent for discussion the worth of up and coming players.

Similarly, please reconsider your need to play amateur snarky social scientist. Your skill set in that regard is not nearly as impressive.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
NO I did not say if they were both white. I said if EITHER were white, in other words one or the other, NOT BOTH.

According to the dictionary, Either:being one or the other of two.

If I remember correctly, & I believe I do, you tried to accuse me of criticizing Cam Newton at the time of the draft based on his being black. I responded that as a Bucs fan I am very happy to have Freeman as QB & Morris as HC.

Ok, I wont hold my breath on that comparison coming though, I will acknowledge though that I misread your post. That is my mistake. However if doesn't change my point.

I have no idea what you're talking about with Newton, find it, and Ill address it then. I doubt it had much to do with an accusation of you having an issue with a perceived race and more with a comment made by somebody else that has a direct relation to race.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, I guess you are LAZY. You should read the posts again & also get yourself a dictionary.

How am I lazy? I never called you a racist or implied such. Again you still fail to understand the point Im making.

Its not racist to make a comparison to player A and B due to them being the same skin color. Its just one of the things they have in common.

DraftBoy
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Of course, belligerence. Snarky, veiled, passive-aggressive attacks on someone who is merely opening up a line of discussion, is belligerent.

"Jumping to broad and ridiculous conclusions" is indeed what has occurred here...like trying to insert some fictitious racial motives into a nominally reasonable topic of conversation. Accusing someone of being racist is not only bellicose but quite often an uninformed, knee-jerk cheap shot.

I agree with your assessment of the never-ending and amazing nature of entertainingly odd statements made on this board.

Please keep up with your draft assessments, I enjoy them very much and think you have a great talent for discussion the worth of up and coming players.

Similarly, please reconsider your need to play amateur snarky social scientist. Your skill set in that regard is not nearly as impressive.

Still a failure to understand the point that is quite basic and trying to make it seem to be something far more than it is.

Thank you for the compliment but you sell my snarky social commentary far too short.

better days
08-06-2011, 10:49 AM
How am I lazy? I never called you a racist or implied such. Again you still fail to understand the point Im making.

Its not racist to make a comparison to player A and B due to them being the same skin color. Its just one of the things they have in common.

You are lazy because you apparently do not understand the word either & were too lazy to look it up or you do know what the word either means & lied about what I said.

You are either LAZY or a LIER or both. Even after it was pointed out to you that I said either by another poster, you responded to him that I said both. That as I said makes you lazy or a lier or both.

Anyone that reads this thread can clearly see you implied I am racist.

If you were any kind of man, you would issue a public apology to me for accusing me of being racist.

better days
08-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Proof you implied I am racist & also proof you said I said both.

YardRat
08-06-2011, 11:43 AM
You are either LAZY or a LIER or both.

I vote 'both', and throw in stupid too.

better days
08-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Still a failure to understand the point that is quite basic and trying to make it seem to be something far more than it is.

Thank you for the compliment but you sell my snarky social commentary far too short.

Well, I resent being called racist & think you are trying to make it seem something much less than it is.

better days
08-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Of course it is racist to compare player A and B due to them being the same skin color. You said as much in your post where you accused me of saying both when I said either.

Don't Panic
08-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Rather than let this become (or continue to grow into) a who called who a racist bit can we just admit that Brad Smith, Kordell Stewart, Antwan Randel-El and a few other slash type players are worthy of being compared?

better days
08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Rather than let this become (or continue to grow into) a who called who a racist bit can we just admit that Brad Smith, Kordell Stewart, Antwan Randel-El and a few other slash type players are worthy of being compared?

Well, it is too late for that. I have already been libeled, falsely accused of being a racist. I think it is a big deal myself & am very offended by that accusation.

I deserve & expect a public appology for the slander of my name.

Mr. Pink
08-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I was being belligerent when I was providing a statistical comparison between Smith and Stewart, personally.

John Doe
08-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I was being belligerent when I was providing a statistical comparison between Smith and Stewart, personally.

It might have something to do with calling board members' posts "dopey" and "beyond assinine."

Luisito23
08-06-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL...4 pages for Brad Smith? Who knew he was so beloved here. :list:

better days
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I don't think it is jumping to conclusions to say "That the two being of the same skin color does in fact matter" is proof you accused me of being racist.