PDA

View Full Version : I don't see how the Bills will be worse than last year!!!

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I see so many stating the team will be a shoe in for the Andrew Luck Derby.... I just don't see it

By no means am I touting a winning record or the playoffs but to be 4-12 or worse just doesn't seem right to me...

Adding Dareus, Smith, Barnett(who I think is an upgrade over Poz), Merriman, A. Williams to the mix, while also incorporating young guys from last year who stand to progress.(Troup, Carrington, Moats, Spiller, Nelson) tells me the team will be better not worse...

Fitz being the unquestioned starter will also help.. Last year we gave away two games early with Edwards in there....

Lets also talk about the second year of familiarity of the offense and defense.. Last year both systems were new.

I see 7 wins.... Not like I am aiming for the stars here....

Bangarang
08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm already tired of hearing about Luck. I don't think this team is worse than last years. Nor do I think we're bad enough to get the #1 pick. If all we win is 5 or 6 games but stay competitive then I'll be happy.

BertSquirtgum
08-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I think the Bills will end up 7-9, worst case scenario. if the injury bug doesn't hit them like usual i believe they will end with a final record of 9-7.

Jeff1220
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Idk. I've just learned to hope for the best, but expect the worst. Any sort of success is like a nice surprise at this point.

THATHURMANATOR
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I think the Bills will end up 7-9, worst case scenario. if the injury bug doesn't hit them like usual i believe they will end with a final record of 9-7.
Again I am not confident they will be that good but surely not worse than last year!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
This team if healthy, ie merriman, can go 9-7. they can fight for that last wc spot.

Midwesternbillsfan
08-08-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't project us finishing 4-12 or worse, either, and that's not insignificantly due to the fact that I don't see us beginning 0-8 once again. Remember, we "still" won 4 games last year despite win #1 not coming until week 10.

Six or seven wins is very conceivable (maybe even eight if find ways to win games we've routinely lost in the past). Yes, the schedule is tough- but it's invariably tough; playing in the AFC East will do that to you. And the divisions we face- the AFC West and NFC North- are no more difficult (probably a bit easier) than last year's: the AFC North and NFC North.

I'll say 7-9, which isn't anything remarkable or wholly encouraging- but it's a far cry from mainstream prognostications and perhaps something to build on.

THATHURMANATOR
08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Yep MWBF.... I feel like these people talking about Andrew Luck really have no idea about anything to do with this team..... To get Luck we would have to only get one or two wins....... I don't see that as even remotely possible.......

Midwesternbillsfan
08-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Yep MWBF.... I feel like these people talking about Andrew Luck really have no idea about anything to do with this team..... To get Luck we would have to only get one or two wins....... I don't see that as even remotely possible.......

I could've envisioned it last year; it was even a wonder six humiliating games in if we'd win a single, solitary game (remember how badly and thoroughly outplayed we were by the Jets and Jaguars at home?)! But after the overtime, FG/3-point losses on the road to eventual Playoff teams Baltimore and Kansas City it was easy to see that this team was genuinely progressing, and that we'd at least avoid that ignominy.

Anyway, yeah, we're an easy target by lazy-minded "experts" to land Luck. But as it stands now (and even if we're not even any better than last year and win a measley 4 games again, which the objective evidence doesn't suggest seems our most likely fate) we won't land him. Maybe we'd actually live to regret that- but we still likely won't land him.

Night Train
08-08-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm already tired of hearing about Luck. I don't think this team is worse than last years. Nor do I think we're bad enough to get the #1 pick. If all we win is 5 or 6 games but stay competitive then I'll be happy.

This

Dujek
08-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Again I am not confident they will be that good but surely not worse than last year!!!

I don't think the Bills are a "genuine" 9 win team yet, but looking at some of the **** we get to play this year it's possible to get there.

Captain Obvious
08-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Thurmie you're intentionnally holding back.. Admit deep down you really feel like the Bills can win 10 games

X-Era
08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
I see so many stating the team will be a shoe in for the Andrew Luck Derby.... I just don't see it

By no means am I touting a winning record or the playoffs but to be 4-12 or worse just doesn't seem right to me...

Adding Dareus, Smith, Barnett(who I think is an upgrade over Poz), Merriman, A. Williams to the mix, while also incorporating young guys from last year who stand to progress.(Troup, Carrington, Moats, Spiller, Nelson) tells me the team will be better not worse...

Fitz being the unquestioned starter will also help.. Last year we gave away two games early with Edwards in there....

Lets also talk about the second year of familiarity of the offense and defense.. Last year both systems were new.

I see 7 wins.... Not like I am aiming for the stars here....The only way to get Luck is to trade a whole bunch of picks to move up to #1 for him. Many here wouldn't mind it but Nix will never do it IMO.

Novacane
08-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Thurm..............Did you forget we lost Whitner?

Extremebillsfan247
08-08-2011, 07:15 AM

I see 7 wins.... Not like I am aiming for the stars here....All that plus a softer schedule. Assuming we can stay relatively healthy, I don't think 7 wins is impossible for this current team. JMO

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Anytime you have depend on that much youth to bring you success its a massive risk.

Look at the players you named, they are either very young, have yet to prove anything, or are coming off bad injuries.

How do people not see why both experts and fans are perdicting similar results? Do most people think there will be some growth? Of course and our record may not be indicative of how good we are.

I think W/L wise we are a bottom 5-7 team. I think we have good potential talent, but its way too early to rely so heavily on those guys. This team is built to win in 2012 or 2013 depending on when we can add franchise players at LT and QB.

better days
08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't project us finishing 4-12 or worse, either, and that's not insignificantly due to the fact that I don't see us beginning 0-8 once again. Remember, we "still" won 4 games last year despite win #1 not coming until week 10.

Six or seven wins is very conceivable (maybe even eight if find ways to win games we've routinely lost in the past). Yes, the schedule is tough- but it's invariably tough; playing in the AFC East will do that to you. And the divisions we face- the AFC West and NFC North- are no more difficult (probably a bit easier) than last year's: the AFC North and NFC North.

I'll say 7-9, which isn't anything remarkable or wholly encouraging- but it's a far cry from mainstream prognostications and perhaps something to build on.

Lost on many of the experts was the fact that the team played .500% the 2nd half of the season. That is something to build on.

I think if Fitz plays well & the Bills stay healthy they can win 9-10 games.

better days
08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Anytime you have depend on that much youth to bring you success its a massive risk.

Look at the players you named, they are either very young, have yet to prove anything, or are coming off bad injuries.

How do people not see why both experts and fans are perdicting similar results? Do most people think there will be some growth? Of course and our record may not be indicative of how good we are.

I think W/L wise we are a bottom 5-7 team. I think we have good potential talent, but its way too early to rely so heavily on those guys. This team is built to win in 2012 or 2013 depending on when we can add franchise players at LT and QB.

Last year, nobody thought the Bucs would win more than a handful of games before the season started. They had a very young team, had yet to prove anything & played in a division almost as tough as the AFC East.

Raheem Morris, the Buc HC predicted the Bucs would win 10 games & everyone thought he was crazy. Chan has said this is a good team but it lacks depth. That is the reason they need to stay healthy. If they do they have the talent to compete with anyone.

Historian
08-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm thinking seven wins as well.

Dujek
08-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm thinking seven wins as well.

I still think we should win 7, given the crap we have on our schedule, and if we get lucky we could win 9.

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I think this team can aspire to be a 7 win team, however, two things hold them back:

1. injuries. The team has wracked up a lot of injuries the last couple seasons. We have no idea why this is, but i think if this team gets injuries, we don't really have depth to keep up with the teams in the East.

2. the lockout. As a young team, it would have been nice to get people up to speed on the playbook overall, and the defense to learn the wanny way of defense. Instead, they all essentially started as a unit in late July. 2 of the 3 other AFCE teams already have everyone on board with the system while we are implementing a fairly new secondary, a new LB core and a couple upgrades on the line.

I think on average we end up 4-12 again. I think if everything goes right, we are a 7 to 9 win team. Either way, i think next year is the year we end the non-playoff drought.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Our youth concerns me, but primarily with reference to Dareus and the LB's at this point. I'm afraid Dareus will be decent, but not quite up to expectations - mainly because 3-4 DL take at least a year to significantly contribute. That's something I hope people realize going into the season.

I can see why people wouldn't think we're a good team, but I also see 6 wins with our schedule.

In the end, I believe a lot of people are underestimating how bad some other teams are. Could we be a bottom 5-7 team? Certainly. I also think there could easily be 8 or so teams that are worse than us this year. Heck, just in the AFC I can see 6 teams that have the potential to be worse than us. JMO.

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Last year, nobody thought the Bucs would win more than a handful of games before the season started. They had a very young team, had yet to prove anything & played in a division almost as tough as the AFC East.

Raheem Morris, the Buc HC predicted the Bucs would win 10 games & everyone thought he was crazy. Chan has said this is a good team but it lacks depth. That is the reason they need to stay healthy. If they do they have the talent to compete with anyone.

I thought the Bucs were very competitive going into last year. I know many people down here in Atlanta thought they were a team to watch along with Detroit.

They have a very good mix of youth and veterans. We do not.

Cntrygal
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM

I see 7 wins.... Not like I am aiming for the stars here....

You ALWAYS predict 16-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

better days
08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I thought the Bucs were very competitive going into last year. I know many people down here in Atlanta thought they were a team to watch along with Detroit.

They have a very good mix of youth and veterans. We do not.

Yeah, I'm sure you thought the Bucs would win 10 games last year. LOL.

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I'm sure you thought the Bucs would win 10 games last year. LOL.

Why do you always jump to conclusions in debate?

Ed
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I can't see how this team can be worse either unless it gets devastated by injuries. Just look at the progress the team made with a new coaching staff from the first half of the year to the second half. We went 4-4 in the second half with three of our losses coming to the three best teams in the AFC. The Pats, Jets, and Steelers(which we should have won).

I see a coaching staff with a better handle of what they have and what they can do, and a team that's added some talent and should see some development in a few young players.

I'm trying pretty hard not to set my expectations too high for some of our young players, but I still think a guy like Dareus is an upgrade over an aging Stroud or a rookie Carrington. I think Spiller can be more of a factor. I really like our WR's. I would have liked to have seen an upgrade for the OL, but they shouldn't be worse then last year. It's still up in the air if Fitz is a long term solution at QB, but he's still in the best situation he's ever been in so I still expect him to have the best year of his career. Even if Merriman can't return to his pro-bowl form, he's still a big upgrade for our pass rush.

Overall, I like the direction and I'm excited for the season, but I'll be disappointed if we finish with less than 7 wins.

better days
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Why do you always jump to conclusions in debate?

I am not the one to do that. You are. You accused me of being a racist because I compared Kordell Stewart to Brad Smith.

So now you are going to tell this board you expected the Bucs to win 10 games last year??? Excuse me if I don't believe that for one minute.

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I am not the one to do that. You are. You accused me of being a racist because I compared Kordell Stewart to Brad Smith.

So now you are going to tell this board you expected the Bucs to win 10 games last year??? Excuse me if I don't believe that for one minute.

I never accused you of being racist, and I never said I expected the Bucs to win 10 games. Look if you don't get that point that's fine, it happens. However choosing to jump to broad conclusions makes absolutely no sense.