PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking to trade Aaron Maybin

BLeonard
08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/8/2350980/aaron-maybin-trade-rumors-buffalo-bills

That stance appears to have changed months later, however, as NFL.com's Michael Lombardi is reporting that he's heard that the Bills are shopping Maybin - to no avail, of course - on the trade market, and that they're hopeful that another team will take the former No. 11 overall pick off of their hands.

If they get anything for him, I'd be very surprised.

-Bill

Jaybird
08-08-2011, 08:11 AM
we won't get anything for him.. cut his ass!

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Do they really think anyone would take him? What a waste of time.

k-oneputt
08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
How are they gonna trade him when evryone in the league knows he will probably be cut in another couple of weeks ?

psubills62
08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
I seriously, seriously doubt any team is even going to be the slightest bit interested. But come on, people, you might as well call around. Like all of you wouldn't rip into them if they just cut him without seeing if they could get a gullible team like the Raiders to give up something for him? My word, Charlie Whitehurst netted a 3rd round pick.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I seriously, seriously doubt any team is even going to be the slightest bit interested. But come on, people, you might as well call around. Like all of you wouldn't rip into them if they just cut him without seeing if they could get a gullible team like the Raiders to give up something for him? My word, Charlie Whitehurst netted a 3rd round pick.

I might as well put my Playstation 2 on Craig's List for $150 to see if anyone wants it, but it's just a waste of time because there's no way in hell anyone's going to give me anything for it.

I absolutely wouldn't rip the FO for cutting him without seeing if anyone wants him. He has no value. NONE.

trapezeus
As bad as the maybin pick was, i'm sure there were teams picking 12-32 that were thinking about maybin. he was slated as a first round pick that year.

plus there is a view out there occassionally that the bills mismanage their talent and it's not simply an issue of guys having no talent. Though in this case that's a hard sell.

If there is any sort of conditional pick dangled, i think i'd take it.

though, with this team and its propensity to accumulate injuries, you might as well have him slated in as OLB than not have anyone.

Dujek
No harm in checking to see if someone somewhere is dumb enough to give something up for him.

better days
08-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I might as well put my Playstation 2 on Craig's List for $150 to see if anyone wants it, but it's just a waste of time because there's no way in hell anyone's going to give me anything for it.

I absolutely wouldn't rip the FO for cutting him without seeing if anyone wants him. He has no value. NONE.

Keep that PS2 in pristine condition another 20 years & it might be worth something.

k-oneputt
08-08-2011, 08:30 AM
If they can pull something for him, all the props to the front office.

then again maybe you don't want to keep drafting stiffs from the Big -10.
Evans- best of bunch but underperformed last year.
Whitner- sucks
Poz- step above sucks
Youboty-sucks
Maybin- sucks
Tim Anderson- from few years ago was a 3rd rounder who sucked.

TacklingDummy
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Keep that PS2 in pristine condition another 20 years & it might be worth something.

Maybin is only 23 years old, he's basically a rookie. He has plenty of time to blossom into a star.

TacklingDummy
08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
:lol: I almost typed that whole sentence with a straight face.

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Do they really think anyone would take him? What a waste of time.
Jauron is on the coaching staff in Cleveland.

Just sayin'.

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
but there is someone smarter than jauron in charge of player decisions.

I just hope maybin was judicious with his spending. He isn't getting a paycheck like that again for awhile.

better days
08-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Maybin is only 23 years old, he's basically a rookie. He has plenty of time to blossom into a star.

That looks like one of my old posts. Well, the time is over. The Bills finally have some talent worth keeping, no more room on the roster for Maybin.

Mski
08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
with our luck, nobody is willing to give up a 7th rounder (is there even 7rounds anymore?) NE ends up signing him just to use his ""inside info"" and to further humiliate us, actually start him at OLB so he can get 3 sacks and take Fitz out for the year, then cut him that next monday

Mr. Miyagi
08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Maybin is worth something, as human organs.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:10 AM
No harm in checking to see if someone somewhere is dumb enough to give something up for him.

to me, it just shows that they still don't get it. Why bother making the effort when you know there is a 99.99% chance that the effort will be futile? They let a FA go to the Dolphins because they were too busy trying to sign late-round rookies but somehow they have time to shop Maybin for a trade?

What a joke.

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 09:14 AM
i don't think those things are connected OP.

trying to move a guy you have no intention to keep is good no matter what. failure only results in doing what you expected to do anyways.

yes, letting kevin burrnett go because you are the only organization that doesn't multi-task is annoying.

hydro
08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
to me, it just shows that they still don't get it. Why bother making the effort when you know there is a 99.99% chance that the effort will be futile? They let a FA go to the Dolphins because they were too busy trying to sign late-round rookies but somehow they have time to shop Maybin for a trade?

What a joke.

Really? Do you ever just read your posts? I seriously don't believe you when you say "I absolutely wouldn't rip the FO for cutting him without seeing if anyone wants him. He has no value. NONE." You would absolutely rip them because that is what you are good at.

How hard is it to do something similar to what the 49ers did, send out an email stating he is on the market? Time isn't so precious that they shouldn't be at least trying to trade him before letting him go. I am sure it hasn't consumed them so much that it caused something else to be pushed to the side.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 09:19 AM

What a joke.
Seriously? You're busting on them for simply calling around? Didn't you do the exact opposite less than a year ago? I'm sorry, but where's the harm in asking around, again?

psubills62
08-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Who are you kidding, Op? You'd be the first one to the lynching with a pitchfork in hand.

Night Train
08-08-2011, 09:28 AM
it's all in the art of the negotiation. Especially if it's Cinci. For example..

Bart: Dad! I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish.

Homer : Done and done!

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Really? Do you ever just read your posts? I seriously don't believe you when you say "I absolutely wouldn't rip the FO for cutting him without seeing if anyone wants him. He has no value. NONE." You would absolutely rip them because that is what you are good at.

How hard is it to do something similar to what the 49ers did, send out an email stating he is on the market? Time isn't so precious that they shouldn't be at least trying to trade him before letting him go. I am sure it hasn't consumed them so much that it caused something else to be pushed to the side.

Who are you kidding, Op? You'd be the first one to the lynching with a pitchfork in hand.

well if you don't believe me, you are wrong. I have consistently said that I want this organization to cut ties with the losing culture of the past- Poz, Whitner, etc, and Maybin would certainly be no exception.

It's ridiculous that people still think I rip the FO just to rip them. Every year I'm critical and every year the team sucks, so the criticism turns out to be well-warranted. Stop and think about that for a second.

How hard is it for me to send out an email to all my friends telling them that I need $100 from each of them because I don't feel like paying my mortgage this month and I want them to do it? It's pretty simple, but it stands 0 chance of getting results.

TigerJ
08-08-2011, 09:34 AM
I could buy the argument that Maybin might attract an offer for a conditional draft pick except that he carries a first round salary. I could see someone offering Maybin a contract for the vet minimum, and maybe even a modest bonus tied to performance, but I don't think anyone would want him for first round rookie money.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 09:34 AM
well if you don't believe me, you are wrong. I have consistently said that I want this organization to cut ties with the losing culture of the past- Poz, Whitner, etc, and Maybin would certainly be no exception.

It's ridiculous that people still think I rip the FO just to rip them. Every year I'm critical and every year the team sucks, so the criticism turns out to be well-warranted. Stop and think about that for a second.

How hard is it for me to send out an email to all my friends telling them that I need $100 from each of them because I don't feel like paying my mortgage this month and I want them to do it? It's pretty simple, but it stands 0 chance of getting results.
It's not hard, that's why it's stupid to rip them for simply asking around. You don't think it will get any results - I don't think it will get any results. So what? Are the 49ers a horrible FO since they asked about Mays?

Cutting ties doesn't just mean cutting them. Trading them would also constitute cutting ties.

And speaking of which, I seem to remember you making a post not that long ago ripping the FO for not trading Poz a year ago.

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2011, 09:35 AM

That does not mean every single criticism of yours is valid. There is no logic in that statement at all.

And you are being picayune on this one - letting the rest of the NFL know this guy is available and takes less than ten minutes.

Remember, they traded Ko Simpson. And almost traded Dockery.There are teams out there that possible (no matter how slight) give up a 7th for him. It is due dilligence to make sure that nobody wants him before cutting him.

There are a bunch of reasons to bash this FO. What you are bashing them for here is made up in your own mind

psubills62
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I could buy the argument that Maybin might attract an offer for a conditional draft pick except that he carries a first round salary. I could see someone offering Maybin a contract for the vet minimum, and maybe even a modest bonus tied to performance, but I don't think anyone would want him for first round rookie money.
He actually only makes $757,000 this year per rotoworld. However, then his salaries start going up (2012: 1.12m, 2013: 1.48m, 2014: 1.5m). So if he was going to be acquired by any team, this would be the year (with reference to his salaries, anyway), as they could try to work with him for 2011, then cut him before 2012 season if they don't see any progress.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
It's not hard, that's why it's stupid to rip them for simply asking around. You don't think it will get any results - I don't think it will get any results. So what? Are the 49ers a horrible FO since they asked about Mays?

Cutting ties doesn't just mean cutting them. Trading them would also constitute cutting ties.

And speaking of which, I seem to remember you making a post not that long ago ripping the FO for not trading Poz a year ago.

Poz had value a year ago. Maybin does not have value.

I expect the FO to trade guys who don't fit the D, especially when they know they're going to be FA's and will most likely walk in a year for nothing anyway (which is exactly what happened with Poz).

I don't expect the FO to trade guys like Maybin who have no value. And I don't expect them to waste time trying.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
That does not mean every single criticism of yours is valid. There is no logic in that statement at all.

And you are being picayune on this one - letting the rest of the NFL know this guy is available and takes less than ten minutes.

Remember, they traded Ko Simpson. And almost traded Dockery.There are teams out there that possible (no matter how slight) give up a 7th for him. It is due dilligence to make sure that nobody wants him before cutting him.

There are a bunch of reasons to bash this FO. What you are bashing them for here is made up in your own mind

It doesn't matter that it takes less than ten minutes. It's a useless gesture that won't get results. At worst, they honestly believe this guy still has enough worth that someone would trade for him, and at best they're wasting their time.

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2011, 09:45 AM
It doesn't matter that it takes less than ten minutes. It's a useless gesture that won't get results. At worst, they honestly believe this guy still has enough worth that someone would trade for him, and at best they're wasting their time.
And you thought Ko Simpson had trade value?

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM

but that is the loser's attitude. "it won't happen, so why try?"

Philagape
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
There is no harm and nothing to lose in doing due diligence; that's part of the job.
There are some dumb teams out there. When you're talking about a former No. 1 draft pick, there's always the chance there's someone out there who thinks he can fix him.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Poz had value a year ago. Maybin does not have value.

I expect the FO to trade guys who don't fit the D, especially when they know they're going to be FA's and will most likely walk in a year for nothing anyway (which is exactly what happened with Poz).

I don't expect the FO to trade guys like Maybin who have no value. And I don't expect them to waste time trying.
The FO was supposed to see all that stuff with Poz a year ago? I personally don't think it was a given that Poz would be horrible in a 3-4, and it certainly wasn't a given that he was automatically going to walk. They were supposed to expect that he'd dislike the 3-4? They were supposed to expect that a team would give him 7m a year?

There are a lot of guys who are former first round picks that end up having some value to another team. Last I checked, Derrick Harvey was a failure that got picked up by Denver and is now their 3rd DE. The Bears just signed Vernon Gholston. Charlie Whitehurst, a third string QB, netted a 3rd round pick. Ko Simpson, as Lecter graciously pointed out, got a 7th round pick in return. The thing is, you never know, so it's worth a shot.

I am amazed that you continue to find ways to rip on the FO. And yes, in this case you are doing it just for the sake of doing it. It doesn't matter that you think Maybin has no value. It's still worth the price of a few phone calls or emails to confirm it. Heck, give the job to an intern. Pay me for long-distance calling and I'll call the teams. This is not a big deal, somehow you're not grasping that point.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:57 AM
but that is the loser's attitude. "it won't happen, so why try?"

Well, I could put my 2008 Honda Accord on cars.com for $30,000. No one's going to buy it for that price, though.

So, is that having a loser's mentality and saying "it won't happen, so why try?" Or, is it just being smart and understanding that my car isn't worth that much?

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:59 AM
The FO was supposed to see all that stuff with Poz a year ago? I personally don't think it was a given that Poz would be horrible in a 3-4, and it certainly wasn't a given that he was automatically going to walk. They were supposed to expect that he'd dislike the 3-4? They were supposed to expect that a team would give him 7m a year?

There are a lot of guys who are former first round picks that end up having some value to another team. Last I checked, Derrick Harvey was a failure that got picked up by Denver and is now their 3rd DE. The Bears just signed Vernon Gholston. Charlie Whitehurst, a third string QB, netted a 3rd round pick. Ko Simpson, as Lecter graciously pointed out, got a 7th round pick in return. The thing is, you never know, so it's worth a shot.

I am amazed that you continue to find ways to rip on the FO. And yes, in this case you are doing it just for the sake of doing it. It doesn't matter that you think Maybin has no value. It's still worth the price of a few phone calls or emails to confirm it. Heck, give the job to an intern. Pay me for long-distance calling and I'll call the teams. This is not a big deal, somehow you're not grasping that point.

The FO absolutely should have seen that Poz was a 4-3 player who most likely wouldn't work in a 3-4, and they should have seen the potential that he would walk for nothing. That's their job.

And even Ko Simpson played in a few games and had limited success. He wasn't great but he wasn't completely useless like Maybin.

The point you're not grasping is that no matter how small a deal it is, it is still an effort in futility.

elltrain22
08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Even Al Davis dumb*** wouldn't give us a ham sandwich for Maybin. Makes no sense. Just cut him.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
And you thought Ko Simpson had trade value?

Not much, but much more than Maybin.

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, I could put my 2008 Honda Accord on cars.com for $30,000. No one's going to buy it for that price, though.

So, is that having a loser's mentality and saying "it won't happen, so why try?" Or, is it just being smart and understanding that my car isn't worth that much?

if it costs you nothing to put the request out there to have a statistical outlier as a potential chance, you take the chance.

if it costs you $5000 to put out the ad, then you don't.

value is always subjective. someone paid $4.5MM for donte whitner. You know he isn't worth that much, yet two teams did. It works both ways. We complain that people don't see things our way, and sometimes that is to our benefit.

There could be a team that needs or wants a maybin player because they perceive their team to need the depth, or have the coaching expertise. Who are we to say, "you have no idea how maddening this player is." You smile, and hand him over.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
The FO absolutely should have seen that Poz was a 4-3 player who most likely wouldn't work in a 3-4, and they should have seen the potential that he would work for nothing. That's their job.

And even Ko Simpson played in a few games and had limited success. He wasn't great but he wasn't completely useless like Maybin.

The point you're not grasping is that no matter how small a deal it is, it is still an effort in futility.
Up until free agency started, it was expected by pretty much everyone that Poz would stay with us. I'm assuming you meant "walk for nothing." And yes, that potential is always there, doesn't mean you trade away one of your better LB's. You're the perfect person to have around when retrospecting.

The point you're not grasping is that it's not futile. Even if no one's interested, it's still worth something to find that out.

Mad Max
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll trade my my 10 year old Cub Cadet for him. It's acting up and I think Maybin will make a good lawnmower man.

Seriously though, how far has this guy fallen that they don't even want to give him a TC roster spot? There are dozens of guys from Southeastern Mongolia State on TC rosters...and this guy, a former D1, Big10 stud is deemed unworthy of a slot.

justasportsfan
08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Nix is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Typical OP finding things to ***** about.

ServoBillieves
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
If they can pull something for him, all the props to the front office.

then again maybe you don't want to keep drafting stiffs from the Big -10.
Evans- best of bunch but underperformed last year.
Whitner- sucks
Poz- step above sucks
Youboty-sucks
Maybin- sucks
Tim Anderson- from few years ago was a 3rd rounder who sucked.

Who can forget Tim Anderson?!

superbills
08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
This whole argument with Op is a turd. Seriously? We're complaining that the front office took the time to see if we could get SOME value out of the epic fail that was the Maybin pick? These analogies that are being thrown around are asinine too. Talk about wasting time. I think I wasted more time reading this thread than the Bills did shopping Maybin. I expect a full rebuke of my actions in short order. :rolleyes:

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Not much, but much more than Maybin.

Bull****

Stewie
08-08-2011, 10:54 AM

You've obviously never sold cars for a living.

I've seen people pay that much for a similar car. They don't know they're doing it, but they do. And that's the point..

Sometimes.. no, oftentimes, people just aren't smart enough to add up their monthly payments and realize how much they're really paying for a car.

It's worth a shot.

Novacane
08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
There is only 1 man in the NFL dumb enough to be interested. A quick call to the Browns can't hurt.

Novacane
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Bull****

I'm not so sure about that. Anyone who trades for Maybin has to take on his first round contract. That may make him less tradable than Simpson was.

Extremebillsfan247
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I seriously, seriously doubt any team is even going to be the slightest bit interested. But come on, people, you might as well call around. Like all of you wouldn't rip into them if they just cut him without seeing if they could get a gullible team like the Raiders to give up something for him? My word, Charlie Whitehurst netted a 3rd round pick. I'll use a quote from WGR550's Joe Buscaglia here, "If Maybin couldn't even crack the lineup on one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season, how exactly would he make an impact for anyone else?", This is the problem the Bills are going to face in trying to trade him. But, I agree that it never hurts to at least try. You never know what young coach may be out there that thinks he may have the answer to solve the Maybin riddle that we couldn't here. JMO

better days
08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll trade my my 10 year old Cub Cadet for him. It's acting up and I think Maybin will make a good lawnmower man.

Seriously though, how far has this guy fallen that they don't even want to give him a TC roster spot? There are dozens of guys from Southeastern Mongolia State on TC rosters...and this guy, a former D1, Big10 stud is deemed unworthy of a slot.

You are taking a huge risk. Maybin is very young & has not proved he can change oil yet let alone change a spark plug.

TacklingDummy
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Op should change his name to Devils Advocate.

DraftBoy
08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not so sure about that. Anyone who trades for Maybin has to take on his first round contract. That may make him less tradable than Simpson was.

That wasn't the question though. The question was did he think Ko Simpson had trade value.

I agree Simpson offers more comparatively due to salary issues, but Op has no brought that up.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM

I always love this one, his age dictates that he could still be good. How many players absolutely sucked in their first couple of years in the league, went to another team, and became productive? It isn't many.

Joe Fo Sho
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm gonna laugh when the Bills get a 7th round pick for him..

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Up until free agency started, it was expected by pretty much everyone that Poz would stay with us. I'm assuming you meant "walk for nothing." And yes, that potential is always there, doesn't mean you trade away one of your better LB's. You're the perfect person to have around when retrospecting.

The point you're not grasping is that it's not futile. Even if no one's interested, it's still worth something to find that out.

the point that you're not grasping is that he's worth NOTHING so it is futile.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Nix is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Typical OP finding things to ***** about.

If you disagree with me, fine, but I'm really getting ****ing sick of you and others assuming how I would act in situations that never occurred. And I'm even more sick of people using their assumptions of how I would react as the basis for an argument.

Joe Fo Sho
08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
the point that you're not grasping is that he's worth NOTHING

That is not a fact...yet.

acehole
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Let me start the bidding....

Ahh...

Snicker bar wrapper....

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/8/2350980/aaron-maybin-trade-rumors-buffalo-bills

If they get anything for him, I'd be very surprised.

-Bill

mikemac2001
08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
why is this bad, hey looking to trade this guy and someone says hey lets take a chance 6th rd pick with conditionals still better then nothing...

no harm in trying to trade the guy people like to ***** about things we do and things we don't do .....there just a big *****

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 11:37 AM
This whole argument with Op is a turd. Seriously? We're complaining that the front office took the time to see if we could get SOME value out of the epic fail that was the Maybin pick? These analogies that are being thrown around are asinine too. Talk about wasting time. I think I wasted more time reading this thread than the Bills did shopping Maybin. I expect a full rebuke of my actions in short order. :rolleyes:

no, we're complaining that the FO is too stupid to know that there is no way in hell they'd get any value whatsoever for Maybin.

Mski
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
the point that you're not grasping is that he's worth NOTHING so it is futile.even the sabres were able to trade michael groschek for more then a box of hockey pucks. so there is some value to everyone, heck i'd be willing to take "cash considerations" for him, but i dont think you can do that in the NFL

better days
08-08-2011, 12:29 PM

What a joke.

Seriously? How much time & effort does it take to let teams know a player is available to be traded?

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Seriously? How much time & effort does it take to let teams know a player is available to be traded?

Like I already said... how much time & effort does it take to put an outdated video game system on Craig's List or post an online ad trying to sell your car for twice it's value or to send out an email asking your friends to pay your mortgage this month?

It takes very little, but no one who understands value bothers to do it, because they know it won't pay off.

So, at best the Bills are wasting their time and at worst they have no understanding of the value of a player on their team.

trapezeus
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
It takes very little, but no one who understands value bothers to do it, because they know it won't pay off.

but this is wrong, right? people post their items over value all the time on ebay and amazon. you can see used books that cost 2x the lowest used book and it's explained to be in worse condition.

the likelihood of it getting sold is lower, but people act irrationally at times. people buy it from the expensive person because they trust the seller or some other item that gives them that value.

there may be a team right now that knows it's rotational DE OLB position is thin. They may have scouted other teams PS potentials and decided, no, we need more than that. They would rather get him in now than wait 4 weeks and then catch him up on their system. during the regular season.

it's all unlikely stuff, but it could very well exist. You could even have a team that just needs him for floor purposes.

And it costs the bills nothing but a phone call to see what is going on.

better days
08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Like I already said... how much time & effort does it take to put an outdated video game system on Craig's List or post an online ad trying to sell your car for twice it's value or to send out an email asking your friends to pay your mortgage this month?

So, at best the Bills are wasting their time and at worst they have no understanding of the value of a player on their team.

Even if you are correct about his value, it is the job of the front office to try & get anything if they can for a player. The Titans tried to trade Young before cutting him.

Mr. Pink
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I have no problem with the front office doing their due diligence and putting out feelers among the league to see if Maybin has any value.

I just hope that if they get offered a 6th or 7th, they don't feel Maybin is worth a 5th or 6th respectively.

superbills
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
no, we're complaining that the FO is too stupid to know that there is no way in hell they'd get any value whatsoever for Maybin.

That's a pretty bold assumption, and a knee-jerk conclusion to what you perceive, for whatever reason, as some mysteriously colossal waste of time. I think the bigger question in all of this is...why anyone would care that the Bills spent 10 minutes to shop "nothing" to get "next to nothing"? Is their going to be some radical ticket service-charge I'm not aware of to cover the data costs of sending email? Are we going to have to shell out more money because the Bills are eating up cell-phone minutes? :idunno:

Stewie
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
That's a pretty bold assumption, and a knee-jerk conclusion to what you perceive, for whatever reason, as some mysteriously colossal waste of time. I think the bigger question in all of this is...why anyone would care that the Bills spent 10 minutes to shop "nothing" to get "next to nothing"? Is their going to be some radical ticket service-charge I'm not aware of to cover the data costs of sending email? Are we going to have to shell out more money because the Bills are eating up cell-phone minutes? :idunno:

Nope, it just fits into the narrative.. Much easier to meld reality into your world then try and perceive it for what it is.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Nope, it just fits into the narrative.. Much easier to meld reality into your world then try and perceive it for what it is.

The reality is that it's pointless. If you guys can't see that it's pointless, I don't know what to tell you.

And while maybe we can't assume that the Bills don't understand the value, we also can't discount the possibility. Given the number of things this FO has already botched, it's not that far-fetched.

superbills
08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
The reality is that it's pointless. If you guys can't see that it's pointless, I don't know what to tell you.

And while maybe we can't assume that the Bills don't understand the value, we also can't discount the possibility. Given the number of things this FO has already botched, it's not that far-fetched.

OK, I'll play along. Pointless based on what, exactly? It's been demonstrated time and again that "one man's trash is another's treasure". So, regardless of what everyone here thinks and knows of the value that Aaron Maybin has as a player in this league, it would be foolish for ANY front office not to at least TRY to recoup some modicum of value from a botched first-round pick. Given that, there is NO REASON not to try finding a sucker onto whom you can unload your trash.

psubills62
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Isn't this "part of their job"? Op seems to like that phrase when it comes to the FO.

madness
08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
This thread almost ruined the hilarious fact that this came immediately after it was reported Maybin actually had a good practice!

:rofl: I can picture Nix and staff running to the phones before Maybin had a chance to hit the showers.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
OK, I'll play along. Pointless based on what, exactly? It's been demonstrated time and again that "one man's trash is another's treasure". So, regardless of what everyone here thinks and knows of the value that Aaron Maybin has as a player in this league, it would be foolish for ANY front office not to at least TRY to recoup some modicum of value from a botched first-round pick. Given that, there is NO REASON not to try finding a sucker onto whom you can unload your trash.

in most circumstances, I would agree with you.

But we're talking about a guy with a $757k salary (plus incentives) who has half a sack in two seasons and doesn't even dress for most games.

Vince Young, Ko Simpson- guys like that- at least dressed for every game, played, and weren't completely useless.

Maybin has been completely useless. He has demonstrated ZERO value to this team or any other team. Everyone keeps bringing up other players who were able to be traded, but every single one of them had demonstrated more value than Maybin.

Show me one player- just one- as useless as Maybin that was successfully traded.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
but this is wrong, right? people post their items over value all the time on ebay and amazon. you can see used books that cost 2x the lowest used book and it's explained to be in worse condition.

the likelihood of it getting sold is lower, but people act irrationally at times. people buy it from the expensive person because they trust the seller or some other item that gives them that value.

there may be a team right now that knows it's rotational DE OLB position is thin. They may have scouted other teams PS potentials and decided, no, we need more than that. They would rather get him in now than wait 4 weeks and then catch him up on their system. during the regular season.

it's all unlikely stuff, but it could very well exist. You could even have a team that just needs him for floor purposes.

No, it's not wrong.

Maybin has demonstrated ZERO value. He has none. No value.

Someone may want to buy a used book because even if it's overpriced, someone wants to read it. If you want to stick with your analogy, Maybin isn't just an overpriced used book. He's an overpriced used book that's only half as long as it needs to be to adequately cover the subject matter, with half the pages torn out and crude penis drawings made by an immature pre-teen on the remaining pages. He's trash that no one wants.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
OP youve obviously never been in sales or anything business related have you. As a sales manager do you know how many times Ive had to bark up certain trees knowing the odds probably arent good, but when I land that one hot lead it made everything worth while no matter how little or how much time I spent. FACT is you never know unless you try. This probably took the bills all of 10 minutes to do. Youre crying for the sake of crying this isnt a flipping big deal

Philagape
08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
If any team did trade for him, it wouldn't have anything to do with what he has or hasn't done in the NFL so far. It would be for his raw physical ability and potential coming out of college. Basically, it would be like drafting him all over again, except spending a seventh-rounder instead of a first.
If there is a 1 percent chance of that happening, it's worth the miniscule effort. In fact, let's make a formula: one minute of effort for every percentage point of probability. No one on this board can say it's zero.

Philagape
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Another reason why his career is not the only factor: One can NEVER discount the possibility that there's some coach out there who thinks he can fix busts. That factor is unpredictable, and therefore no one can say there's a zero percent chance.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
OP youve obviously never been in sales or anything business related have you

If you're trying to imply that a good businessman can move product that has no value, that's true but it only works if you have dumb consumers. In the general population, there are plenty of them.

When you're talking about the NFL, there are only 31 potential buyers for Maybin, and none of them are that stupid.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
If any team did trade for him, it wouldn't have anything to do with what he has or hasn't done in the NFL so far. It would be for his raw physical ability and potential coming out of college. Basically, it would be like drafting him all over again, except spending a seventh-rounder instead of a first.
If there is a 1 percent chance of that happening, it's worth the miniscule effort. In fact, let's make a formula: one minute of effort for every percentage point of probability. No one on this board can say it's zero.

Another reason why his career is not the only factor: One can NEVER discount the possibility that there's some coach out there who thinks he can fix busts. That factor is unpredictable, and therefore no one can say there's a zero percent chance.

You're forgetting one thing: every team knows that the Bills will cut him if they can't trade him.

So why would any GM be dumb enough to give up a pick for him? If they want him that bad, just outbid someone for him. It won't be that hard because demand won't be high, and it's far better than giving up a pick or player that may be useful.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
If you're trying to imply that a good businessman can move product that has no value, that's true but it only works if you have dumb consumers. In the general population, there are plenty of them.

When you're talking about the NFL, there are only 31 potential buyers for Maybin, and none of them are that stupid.

What happens when you total your car. To you its worthless and lets start over, to someone else it can be very valuable as scrap metal or parts. Point is you dont know unless you try. If they dont get anything, oh well, at least they tried. Why do you have such a flipping issue with this?

Philagape
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
You're forgetting one thing: every team knows that the Bills will cut him if they can't trade him.

So why would any GM be dumb enough to give up a pick for him? If they want him that bad, just outbid someone for him. It won't be that hard because demand won't be high, and it's far better than giving up a pick or player that may be useful.

That's likely what will happen.
But his being a former first-round pick is reason enough to put a minimal effort into a league-wide feeler.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:54 PM
What happens when you total your car. To you its worthless and lets start over, to someone else it can be very valuable as scrap metal or parts. Point is you dont know unless you try. If they dont get anything, oh well, at least they tried. Why do you have such a flipping issue with this?

Here's the problem:

If I total my car, I won't ask someone to buy it from me AND take over the loan of what I still owe on the car. My totaled car may have value as scrap metal, but that's far less than what it was worth to me or what it's market value was before getting totaled.

If someone trades for Maybin, not only do they have to give up compensation to get him, they have to pay his contract. He's no longer worth that.

FlyingDutchman
08-08-2011, 01:54 PM
OP....I mean jesus man.....do you ever take a step back and realize sometimes youre arguing a ******ed point just to argue?

better days
08-08-2011, 01:55 PM

Exactly. I shop E-bay all the time & have been outbid many times on things because the person bid more than I could have paid for the same item new at Amazon. I always check the price at Amazon before bidding on E-bay.

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 01:56 PM
OP....I mean jesus man.....do you ever take a step back and realize sometimes youre arguing a ******ed point just to argue?

I don't think my point's ******ed, but yes, I'm arguing just to argue. I do it all the time.

jmb1099
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

The car might be worth something to someone. No one is saying the FO is asking for anything outrageous. Personally I think that the end result will be no interest, but before you throw out your 2008 accord, wouldn't you see if you could get at least something for it?

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Along those lines, isn't all arguing on the internet arguing just to argue?

I mean, if I were to convince all of you to change your minds and that the Bills' FO just wasted their time, would that change the fact that Maybin is still on the trading block?

Similarly, if you were to convince me that it was worth putting Maybin on the trading block, would it make some other team want to trade for him?

No one ever changes their minds, and if they do, it doesn't change anything because the people arguing aren't the people who actually have the power to change it.

jmb1099
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM

I mean, if I were to convince all of you to change your minds and that the Bills' FO just wasted their time, would that change the fact that Maybin is still on the trading block?

Similarly, if you were to convince me that it was worth putting Maybin on the trading block, would it make some other team want to trade for him?

No one ever changes their minds, and if they do, it doesn't change anything because the people arguing aren't the people who actually have the power to change it.
agreed

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
agreed
I disagree.

Stewie
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
If you disagree with me, fine, but I'm really getting ****ing sick of you and others assuming how I would act in situations that never occurred. And I'm even more sick of people using their assumptions of how I would react as the basis for an argument.

Op, you are the most predictable person I have never met. In fact, it's hilariously predictable that you think you're unpredictable.

jmb1099
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I disagree.
I agree with your disagreement.

Ed
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
This turned into one of the dumbest threads I've read.

Op, do you realize that every single front office in this league has attempted at one point or another to trade a player that has "no value"? Attempting to trade players instead of cutting them happens all the time in the NFL. Do you seriously not know this? This situation makes the Bills no different then any other team.

acehole
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

This will clear things up about op.

YardRat
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Dumbasses if they send out feelers for a trade, dumbasses if they don't put in the effort.

Mad Bomber
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Op, you are the most predictable person I have never met. In fact, it's hilariously predictable that you think you're unpredictable.
The fact that he is predictable means that he is consistent in his views and his posts. I don't always agree with him...let me rephrase that...I seldom agree with his negative views, but agree with his philosophy of SHOW ME SOME RESULTS before I buy into any changes coming in this organization. I have met him a bunch of times and talked to him on the phone a bunch of times (Bryan, I got a new cell phone and don't have your number...send me a PM with your number).

I am probably closest to Jan Reimers in viewpoint (and age :D) but I don't get my panties in a bunch about Op's posts. I happen to agree with him in one MAJOR area that he keeps harping on...that being: I'll start Billieving when I see some RESULTS. The difference between him and me is that I am (perhaps delusionally) hoping that the new regime change might actually make a difference. With new people running the show, we may actually turn around (not immediately, of course) the ongoing trend of lack of vision and talent. Time will tell. But show me some RESULTS.

JMO

paranoid
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
No, it's not wrong.

Maybin has demonstrated ZERO value. He has none. No value.

Someone may want to buy a used book because even if it's overpriced, someone wants to read it. If you want to stick with your analogy, Maybin isn't just an overpriced used book. He's an overpriced used book that's only half as long as it needs to be to adequately cover the subject matter, with half the pages torn out and crude penis drawings made by an immature pre-teen on the remaining pages. He's trash that no one wants.

You seem to be operating off a base assumption that humans (in this case, NFL owners/GM's) always act rationally. What is the basis for this assumption? Your observation of the Bills management over the past decade?

Stewie
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
The fact that he is predictable means that he is consistent in his views and his posts. I don't always agree with him...let me rephrase that...I seldom agree with his negative views, but agree with his philosophy of SHOW ME SOME RESULTS before I buy into any changes coming in this organization. I have met him a bunch of times and talked to him on the phone a bunch of times (Bryan, I got a new cell phone and don't have your number...send me a PM with your number).

I am probably closest to Jan Reimers in viewpoint (and age :D) but I don't get my panties in a bunch about Op's posts. I happen to agree with him in one MAJOR area that he keeps harping on...that being: I'll start Billieving when I see some RESULTS. The difference between him and me is that I am (perhaps delusionally) hoping that the new regime change might actually make a difference. With new people running the show, we may actually turn around (not immediately, of course) the ongoing trend of lack of vision and talent. Time will tell. But show me some RESULTS.

JMO

Predictable != consistent

He'll praise other teams for doing the same things the bills do. Predictably.

He's predictably a bills hater. It's okay, I don't care.. is what it is. JMO

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM
This turned into one of the dumbest threads I've read.

Op, do you realize that every single front office in this league has attempted at one point or another to trade a player that has "no value"? Attempting to trade players instead of cutting them happens all the time in the NFL. Do you seriously not know this? This situation makes the Bills no different then any other team.

just because it's done all the time doesn't make it effective. In fact, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't think my point's ******ed, but yes, I'm arguing just to argue. I do it all the time.

LOL you guys are a trip :)

OpIv37
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Predictable != consistent

He'll praise other teams for doing the same things the bills do. Predictably.

He's predictably a bills hater. It's okay, I don't care.. is what it is. JMO

I don't ever recall praising a team for the same thing I criticized the Bills for.

Got an example?

And yes, I will continue "hating" on the Bills (if that's what you want to call legitimate criticism) until they get results.

Captain Obvious
08-09-2011, 07:31 AM
just because it's done all the time doesn't make it effective. In fact, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

So you're basically saying all 32 teams are dumb for trying to trade players and see what value they can get for them

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
So you're basically saying all 32 teams are dumb for trying to trade players and see what value they can get for them

In cases where it's obvious the team will cut a player if no one wants a trade, yes.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
OP this is without a doubt the dumbest crap youve ever complained about. You should be embarrassed

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
OP this is without a doubt the dumbest crap youve ever complained about. You should be embarrassed

So, NFL teams do this all the time, it never works, but I'm the dumb one for pointing it out.

Yeah, ok....

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Youre dumb for complaining about something so stupid and insignificant...I mean seriously give it a rest for one freaking day...when I talk about you having issues, this would be a good example...

Historian
08-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe we can give him back to Penn State for a red-shirt freshman...

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Youre dumb for complaining about something so stupid and insignificant...I mean seriously give it a rest for one freaking day...when I talk about you having issues, this would be a good example...

Why do you care so much what I complain about?

If I find it ridiculous that the Bills- and other teams- do something with so little chance of netting a result, what difference is it to you?

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
haha. Gotta give OP props for trying to fight it out even though he's been beaten to a bloody pulp.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:41 AM
haha. Gotta give OP props for trying to fight it out even though he's been beaten to a bloody pulp.

except that I haven't.

It may be a small amount of time, but it's still a waste of time that's highly unlikely to yield results. Just because most or all NFL teams do it doesn't make it any more effective.

It would only take a minute to email the Patriots and see if they'd trade us Tom Brady for John McCargo straight up. Why doesn't the FO do their due diligence and make the call?

hydro
08-09-2011, 08:41 AM

If I find it ridiculous that the Bills- and other teams- do something with so little chance of netting a result, what difference is it to you?

You take over threads to grandstand your position. THAT'S why.

hydro
08-09-2011, 08:42 AM
except that I haven't.

It may be a small amount of time, but it's still a waste of time that's highly unlikely to yield results. Just because most or all NFL teams do it doesn't make it any more effective.

It would only take a minute to email the Patriots and see if they'd trade us Tom Brady for John McCargo straight up. Why doesn't the FO do their due diligence and make the call?

Because that isn't the same situation. In your head it might be but it just isn't.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
except that I haven't

haha! if you say so. just like Whitner thought he was worth 5m/year

FlyingDutchman
LOL this dude is ridiculous

Dr. Lecter

Have you ever bought a lottery ticket?

This is something teams do. You never know when another team will look at somebody like Maybin and think that they can harvest his talent and make him a productive pass rusher. It is well worth taking a few minutes to call these teams.

As for the talk about his contract being a factor, his base salary is pretty low. Most rookies sign deals that have big bonuses and small annual salaries (that also have incentives, which clearly he has not met).

It is a no risk attempt to make a move.

Definitely not worth *****ing about.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Have you ever bought a lottery ticket?

This is something teams do. You never know when another team will look at somebody like Maybin and think that they can harvest his talent and make him a productive pass rusher. It is well worth taking a few minutes to call these teams.

As for the talk about his contract being a factor, his base salary is pretty low. Most rookies sign deals that have big bonuses and small annual salaries (that also have incentives, which clearly he has not met).

It is a no risk attempt to make a move.

Definitely not worth *****ing about.

calling the Patriots to see if they'll trade Brady for McCargo is also a no-risk attempt to make a move, and it has about the same chance of yielding results as a lotto ticket. McCargo's base salary is low, so it's not a deterrent.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Because that isn't the same situation. In your head it might be but it just isn't.

Well what's the difference then?

They're both players who have underperformed that are likely to get cut. They're both players with low salaries that won't be a deterrent to other teams. Trying to trade Maybin or trying to trade McCargo- either one is just as unlikely to yield results, and both just take a few minutes.

So, why is one ridiculous and one is the FO doing their "due diligence?"

This is the whole problem here- because NFL teams waste time putting guys on the trading block when everyone knows they will be cut, you guys have it in your head that it's an acceptable course of action. The only difference is that one situation occurs more often. They're both equally ridiculous.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
LOL this dude is ridiculous

Putting guys on the trading block when everyone knows they will be cut is ridiculous.

hydro
08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
calling the Patriots to see if they'll trade Brady for McCargo is also a no-risk attempt to make a move, and it has about the same chance of yielding results as a lotto ticket. McCargo's base salary is low, so it's not a deterrent.

Now you are just making a fool of yourself. You can always tell when Opiv's wrong. He never stops repeating the same tired responses that didn't work before. When basically the whole board (even Trap) is saying your wrong. TAKE A HINT!

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Yes it is. Its completely different. You just cant seem to comprehend. But please, continue to ***** about this ever so important matter

hydro
08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Well what's the difference then?

They're both players who have underperformed that are likely to get cut. They're both players with low salaries that won't be a deterrent to other teams. Trying to trade Maybin or trying to trade McCargo- either one is just as unlikely to yield results, and both just take a few minutes.

So, why is one ridiculous and one is the FO doing their "due diligence?"

This is the whole problem here- because NFL teams waste time putting guys on the trading block when everyone knows they will be cut, you guys have it in your head that it's an acceptable course of action. The only difference is that one situation occurs more often. They're both equally ridiculous.

Player for player trades don't happen even close to as often as player for picks (most likely situation for a Maybin trade). You are trying too hard to make your point and it is coming off as ridiculous.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
OP still trying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wNrB_V3PFc&feature=player_embedded

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Now you are just making a fool of yourself. You can always tell when Opiv's wrong. He never stops repeating the same tired responses that didn't work before. When basically the whole board (even Trap) is saying your wrong. TAKE A HINT!

just because the whole board says I'm wrong doesn't make it so.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
oh my flipping god, ive never seen someone have such a complex with being wrong before....

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes it is. Its completely different. You just cant seem to comprehend. But please, continue to ***** about this ever so important matter

Tell me how it's different.

I told you all the ways it was the same, and you just said "no, it's different" without a single reason or explanation.

And once again, if I choose to ***** about something that you deem to be unimportant, why do you care?

justasportsfan
just because the whole board says I'm wrong doesn't make it so.

:laughing:

OpIv37
oh my flipping god, ive never seen someone have such a complex with being wrong before....

I'm not wrong. It's a waste of time. And when no one takes the bait and Maybin gets cut, you'll see that I'm right.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Issues bro, issues....thats all im going to say. Have fun with this convo and make sure you get upset about it and spend hours and many pages trying to prove a ******ed point that youre obviously wrong about. Have a great day

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Player for player trades don't happen even close to as often as player for picks (most likely situation for a Maybin trade). You are trying too hard to make your point and it is coming off as ridiculous.

ok, fine, so call up the Patriots and offer McCargo for their 3rd round pick, or see if they'll give us Brady for their 2nd.

Again, both equally ridiculous as thinking someone will give us something for Maybin, but we might as well do our "due diligence" and see, right?

justasportsfan
I'm not wrong. It's a waste of time. And when no one takes the bait and Maybin gets cut, you'll see that I'm right.
:roflmao:

Captain Obvious
Op thought McCargo was completely worthless 3 years ago.. If it wasn't for the Herniated disc in his back the Bills would have gotten a 4th Rounder for him

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/68784-john-mccargo-traded-by-the-buffalo-bills-to-the-indianapolis-colts

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Issues bro, issues....thats all im going to say. Have fun with this convo and make sure you get upset about it and spend hours and many pages trying to prove a ******ed point that youre obviously wrong about. Have a great day

lmao, after pages of arguing with me about this ridiculous point, suddenly you get on a high horse about getting upset and spending hours on something so ridiculous.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 09:02 AM

We dont expect to get anything, but theres a chance. And it takes all of 5 minutes to find out...and you have a serious problem with this...dude i swear you have some kind of social problem this is just ridiculous

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Op thought McCargo was completely worthless 3 years ago.. If it wasn't for the Herniated disc in his back the Bills would have gotten a 4th Rounder for him

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/68784-john-mccargo-traded-by-the-buffalo-bills-to-the-indianapolis-colts

um.... even 3 years ago, McCargo had at least been on the field and accomplished more than Maybin.

Nice try, though.

FlyingDutchman
lmao, after pages of arguing with me about this ridiculous point, suddenly you get on a high horse about getting upset and spending hours on something so ridiculous.

You realize we are all laughing at you right?

better days

Just because Maybin gets cut, that does not mean you were right that the Bills should not have bothered to try to trade him.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You never know until you try, etc..........

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:05 AM
You realize we are all laughing at you right?

You realize that I don't care that you're laughing at me, right?

I find it absurd that none of you can see how ridiculous it is to try to trade Maybin. If you find that funny enough to laugh at, go right ahead. Oh, and I thought you were done arguing this ridiculous point.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 09:05 AM
ok, fine, so call up the Patriots and offer McCargo for their 3rd round pick, or see if they'll give us Brady for their 2nd.

Again, both equally ridiculous as thinking someone will give us something for Maybin, but we might as well do our "due diligence" and see, right?
there was someone dumb enough to draft him using their 1st pick. The guy that made the call is a DC at cleveland , maybe he'll want maybin.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Just because Maybin gets cut, that does not mean you were right that the Bills should not have bothered to try to trade him.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You never know until you try, etc..........

arrrggh, no one listened to a word I said in this thread.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
arrrggh, no one listened to a word I said in this thread.

no we did, youre just an idiot

and wrong

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
You realize that I don't care that you're laughing at me, right?
OP has turned into Whitner ! Congrats

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
But have you ever bought a lottery ticket?

And nobody is saying this will work. I don't think anyboy actually thinks this will work. But we also are smart enough to know that it worth making an attempt.

And your comparison of offering McCargo for Brady and asking for a 7th round pick for Maybin is a false equivalency.

Did you move to Canada instead of Baltimore?

The King
08-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Check out todays Zone comic!

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Ouch.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
OP went to college and doesn't understand the term "it doesn't hurt to ask" .

Captain Obvious
08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Op never asked out a girl who was at least a 8 out of 10 because what was the point? he knew he would get shot down

better days
08-09-2011, 09:17 AM

This thread should be renamed the whiner line.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
OP went to college and doesn't understand the term "it doesn't hurt to ask" .

hey Ralph- will you give me the Buffalo Bills for free so I can keep them in Buffalo? It doesn't hurt to ask.

If that's your mentality, then you should just spend your whole life asking for ridiculous stuff because it doesn't hurt to ask. You have to draw the line somewhere, and it seems like you (and everyone else arguing in this thread) are just drawing the line arbitrarily.

"Well, the Bills' FO is asking to see if they can trade Maybin, so that's not ridiculous, but calling the Patriots to try to trade for Brady, well, that would just be ridiculous."

They're both equally ridiculous- the only difference is that you guys are defending the one the Bills' FO chose to do.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM

Actually I think this guy is the Whitner of this thread:

Op never asked out a girl who was at least a 8 out of 10 because what was the point? he knew he would get shot down

You guys are piling on me, and he just jumps on the pile back-first without contributing anything new or thoughtful, but it LOOKS like he was in on the pile.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
hey Ralph- will you give me the Buffalo Bills for free so I can keep them in Buffalo? It doesn't hurt to ask.

If that's your mentality, then you should just spend your whole life asking for ridiculous stuff because it doesn't hurt to ask. You have to draw the line somewhere, and it seems like you (and everyone else arguing in this thread) is just drawing the line arbitrarily.

"Well, the Bills' FO is asking to see if they can trade Maybin, so that's not ridiculous, but calling the Patriots to try to trade for Brady, well, that would just be ridiculous."

They're both equally ridiculous- the only difference is that you guys are defending the one the Bills' FO chose to do.

Will you quit with such extreme examples?

Re-read them and think about how ridiculous you look.

Jesus.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Will you quit with such extreme examples?

Re-read them and think about how ridiculous you look.

Jesus.

That's the thing... they're not extreme.

Trying to trade a player as bad as Aaron Maybin is just as ridiculous as anything I brought up in this thread.

wmoz11
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
What's the harm in sending an email to all the teams saying: "Maybin is available?"

I can't see how someone can be so up-in-arms about something that Nix could do on the toilet before he's even ready to wipe.

scartown
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
What does it hurt to send out an email to teams? If they get no takers move on. It's two minutes out of their day.

Philagape
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
What's the harm in sending an email to all the teams saying: "Maybin is available?"

I can't see how someone can be so up-in-arms about something that Nix could do on the toilet before he's even ready to wipe.

An intern could do it. This is not an issue.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM

What does it hurt to send out an email to teams? If they get no takers move on. It's two minutes out of their day.

Once again, where's the line?

What's the harm in sending an email to the Patriots to see if they're willing to trade Tom Brady? It takes just as little time, but it's just as unlikely to yield results as attempting to trade Maybin.

What standard are you using for "due diligence" or saying "this shot in the dark is worth taking, but this one isn't?"

Everyone is saying that I'm coming off as ridiculous, but no one has yet to define when "it doesn't hurt to ask" applies and when that strategy is "extreme."

scartown
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Unreal

wmoz11
08-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Send out the email to the Pats, that's fine with me. Doesn't hurt a thing. Fruitless or otherwise, it's still just an email.

Even though there's obviously a difference between singling out a team for a trade and offering a guy to everyone indiscriminantly. But still... a non-issue.

Also, your assertion that the Pats trading Brady to us has the same probability of happening as one of 31 other teams taking a conditional 7th round flier on a former 1st rounder with no injury history is trolling at worst; ******ed at best.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
OP the more you keep going, the bigger idiot you look like just FYI....just tuck your tail and go home

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
That's the thing... they're not extreme.

:roflmao:

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
But have you ever bought a lottery ticket?
notice he didnt reply to this? Thats because he bought a lot of tickets and will continue to do so.

mikemac2001
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
notice he didnt reply to this? Thats because he bought a lot of tickets and will continue to do so.
He picks his agruments ignores the ones he can't respond to

This is by far he dumbest argument I have ever seen...his theory is why bother

Well op if they just cut him u would say they should have tried to trade him or what a horriable pick and bash the bills fo

All u do is ***** and moan. There is no harm in asking just like there would be no harm asking if any player is avaiable for trade

Delete this thread it should be burned for being so idiotic

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 10:00 AM
He picks his agruments ignores the ones he can't respond to

This is by far he dumbest argument I have ever seen...his theory is why bother

Well op if they just cut him u would say they should have tried to trade him or what a horriable pick and bash the bills fo

All u do is ***** and moan. There is no harm in asking just like there would be no harm asking if any player is avaiable for trade

Delete this thread it should be burned for being so idiotic

My theory is not "why bother?"

My theory is that sometimes you should bother and sometimes you shouldn't, and this is one of those times where you shouldn't bother because Aaron Maybin is that ****ing bad. To me, it's no more ridiculous than asking Ralph if he'd just give me the team for free because it has that little chance of gaining a result.

And no, I ABSOLUTELY would not have said that they should have tried to trade him if they have cut him. I'm really ****ing sick of people guessing how I would react and then basing an argument around their guess. It's a failure of logic on so many levels.

And yes, I have bought lotto tickets, but it's apples to oranges. Know why? It's a completely random chance that has nothing to do with performance. Lotto winners are selected completely at random. NFL players are selected based on their talent and past performance. But, of course, I don't expect you to understand that.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Its cool OP. We'll just chalk this up as one of those time you were wrong. Now just move on with your day

Philagape
08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Once again, where's the line?

What's the harm in sending an email to the Patriots to see if they're willing to trade Tom Brady? It takes just as little time, but it's just as unlikely to yield results as attempting to trade Maybin.

What standard are you using for "due diligence" or saying "this shot in the dark is worth taking, but this one isn't?"

Everyone is saying that I'm coming off as ridiculous, but no one has yet to define when "it doesn't hurt to ask" applies and when that strategy is "extreme."

It doesn't hurt to ask because ANY still-young former first-round pick has potential value, no matter what he's done in the NFL. That alone makes it worth a try.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Its cool OP. We'll just chalk this up as one of those time you were wrong. Now just move on with your day

Except I'm not wrong. Trying to trade a worthless player is ridiculous. Period.

hydro
08-09-2011, 10:16 AM

No matter how many times you say this you are still wrong. End of story.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 10:17 AM
It doesn't hurt to ask because ANY still-young former first-round pick has potential value, no matter what he's done in the NFL. That alone makes it worth a try.

well if he has "potential value" at a position where we're weak, why trade him? That doesn't make any sense.

If he has value, we keep him. If he doesn't have value, don't bother trying to trade him because he has no value. But this "he has enough value to trade but not enough to keep" thing is illogical.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
No matter how many times you say this you are still wrong. End of story.

No matter how many times you say this, I am still NOT wrong. Trying to trade a player with no value is ridiculous. Period.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
OP youre wrong. Period

hydro
08-09-2011, 10:22 AM
No matter how many times you say this, I am still NOT wrong. Trying to trade a player with no value is ridiculous. Period.

:rofl: I really hope you do this because you like getting a rise out of people. Because if you're serious... not even a shrink could help you.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
teams do this all the time. Until you own your own team YOU ARE WRONG!

Now go buy a lotto ticket and maybe you'll end up owning your own team. "You'll never know"

DraftBoy
08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
This will be easily settled.

If Maybin has no value, then he will not be traded and nobody will sign him.

If he has value Maybin will either be traded or sign with somebody after being cut.

You're all wasting time right now, arguing with Op whose not going to admit defeat. He's determined to see this out and when he is proven wrong (which you are btw) he'll acknowledge and move on to the next argument.

For all the **** he gets, he's right more than he's wrong, its just that his wrong points turn into epic threads (case and point) so the image is that of somebody who is always wrong.

psubills62
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
This will be easily settled.

If Maybin has no value, then he will not be traded and nobody will sign him.

If he has value Maybin will either be traded or sign with somebody after being cut.

You're all wasting time right now, arguing with Op whose not going to admit defeat. He's determined to see this out and when he is proven wrong (which you are btw) he'll acknowledge and move on to the next argument.

For all the **** he gets, he's right more than he's wrong, its just that his wrong points turn into epic threads (case and point) so the image is that of somebody who is always wrong.
Thank you, MOTHER. You sure know how to take the fun out of an argument.

My word, football needs to start. It's been way too long. In a couple weeks we'll probably get into the pessimist vs. realist debate again. Ugh.

DraftBoy
08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you, MOTHER. You sure know how to take the fun out of an argument.

My word, football needs to start. It's been way too long. In a couple weeks we'll probably get into the pessimist vs. realist debate again. Ugh.

Act like children and...

Two more days, the first preseason game kicks off on Thursday. Until then I think Penn State camp can help feed your addiction.

trapezeus
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM

This isn't my issue though. My issue is that you try and see what is out there.

I am not a FO specialist, but i assume that these calls are happening all the time. it's like fantasy football. if you know you have to drop a WR to get another running back, aren't you going to check first about a trade to see if someone will give you something of value instead of just dumping a WR?

Obviously, you are right, if everyone sees it the same way, then there is no market. and that probably happens. but it's stupid to not float it out there when its of no cost to you.

Furthermore, you are viewing this through a really mechanical viewpoint. But the thing is that there are Maybin guys. They went to PSU with him, or are PSU alumni that hate to see their guy fail. Those people could be GM's or scouts. They feel like offering to get maybin is a goodwill gesture that will make signing him easier in the future when he has a breakout season.

We've had these idiotic conversations over JP and Trent. Two duds that still evoked a high level of emotion from us. The thoughts ranged the gambit of total hatred to "he's the second coming."

I would have gladly traded JP to Justa in 2007. He had high hopes on him. Conversely Justa could have fleeced me in 2009 to grab trent.

I get your overall point, but in practice, you are dinging the bills for something they shouldn't getting the knock on.

better days
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Actually I think this guy is the Whitner of this thread:

You guys are piling on me, and he just jumps on the pile back-first without contributing anything new or thoughtful, but it LOOKS like he was in on the pile.

Your best post in this thread IMO OP. This is why nobody should ever put you on ignore. In spite of your negativity you do come up with a witty post quite often.

Captain Obvious
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Your best post in this thread IMO OP. This is why nobody should ever put you on ignore. In spite of your negativity you do come up with a witty post quite often.

it would be a great post if he was right which he isn't.. I provided a link and gave a example... there are other posters in this thread more worthy of the pile jumper moniker

better days
08-09-2011, 11:06 AM
it would be a great post if he was right which he isn't.. I provided a link and gave a example... there are other posters in this thread more worthy of the pile jumper moniker

I was not refering to you, but to the piling on analogy with Whitner.

trapezeus
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
If that's your mentality, then you should just spend your whole life asking for ridiculous stuff because it doesn't hurt to ask.

I do. it get shot down a lot. when it works out it's awesome.

i won a trip to thailand in economy from NYC. I tried pricing up the ticket and becuase the ticket the company purchsed was so cheap, there was no upgrade issue. To fly from NYC to Thailand in business on Cathay at the time was $8k per person roundtrip.

I got to the counter and simply asked, "i know you guys typically can't give out upgrades, but we were just curious if today was our lucky day." The lady upgraded our free ticket to two business class seats.

Perhaps the guy in front of us was of the opinion, "do you know how stupid you have to be to ask to get a free ticket upgraded to an $8k ticket? It would never happen. I'm not asking." And to him, i think him greatly, because it allowed my 1 in 10000 chance of succeeding, simply cause i asked.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
teams do this all the time. Until you own your own team YOU ARE WRONG!

Now go buy a lotto ticket and maybe you'll end up owning your own team. "You'll never know"

Just because teams do it all the time doesn't mean it's effective. I don't know why you can't understand that.

And even if I win the lottery, I still wouldn't be able to afford a football team. The largest lotto jackpots in history still aren't even close to what a pro team costs.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I do. it get shot down a lot. when it works out it's awesome.

i won a trip to thailand in economy from NYC. I tried pricing up the ticket and becuase the ticket the company purchsed was so cheap, there was no upgrade issue. To fly from NYC to Thailand in business on Cathay at the time was $8k per person roundtrip.

I got to the counter and simply asked, "i know you guys typically can't give out upgrades, but we were just curious if today was our lucky day." The lady upgraded our free ticket to two business class seats.

Perhaps the guy in front of us was of the opinion, "do you know how stupid you have to be to ask to get a free ticket upgraded to an $8k ticket? It would never happen. I'm not asking." And to him, i think him greatly, because it allowed my 1 in 10000 chance of succeeding, simply cause i asked.

I get $50 hotel rooms which normally cost $150 per night because I bothered to ask via priceline.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
If Dora said "yes" to you, it is very possible the Bills can trade Maybin.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Just because teams do it all the time doesn't mean it's effective. I don't know why you can't understand that.

I dont get how you don't understand that theres nothing wrong with asking. It's simple common sense. YOU do it all the time whether you admit it or not.

The worse that can happen is they say no. Low risk, high reward by simply asking.

I realize you still won't get it .

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I dont get how you don't understand that theres nothing wrong with asking. It's simple common sense. YOU do it all the time whether you admit it or not.

The worse that can happen is they say no. Low risk, high reward by simply asking.

I realize you still won't get it .

It's not the worst that can happen. It's the inevitable response. Maybin is that bad. The chances of someone taking him aren't infinitesimally small like they are with a lotto ticket. They are literally zero.

I realize you still won't get it.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
It's not the worst that can happen. It's the inevitable response. Maybin is that bad. The chances of someone taking him aren't infinitesimally small like they are with a lotto ticket. They are literally zero.

Nobody is saying that the odds are much greater than that. We all realize that.

That is not the point.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

That is not the point.

To me it is.

Like I said before, sometimes it's appropriate to say "why bother?" because the outcome is so obvious. This is one of those times.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 11:40 AM

That is not the point.
he still deosnt get it even though he does it all the time

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
he still deosnt get it even though he does it all the time

Oh please.

You don't even care about the point anymore. You're just trying to keep me going.

mikemac2001
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
This isn't my issue though. My issue is that you try and see what is out there.

I am not a FO specialist, but i assume that these calls are happening all the time. it's like fantasy football. if you know you have to drop a WR to get another running back, aren't you going to check first about a trade to see if someone will give you something of value instead of just dumping a WR?

Obviously, you are right, if everyone sees it the same way, then there is no market. and that probably happens. but it's stupid to not float it out there when its of no cost to you.

Furthermore, you are viewing this through a really mechanical viewpoint. But the thing is that there are Maybin guys. They went to PSU with him, or are PSU alumni that hate to see their guy fail. Those people could be GM's or scouts. They feel like offering to get maybin is a goodwill gesture that will make signing him easier in the future when he has a breakout season.

We've had these idiotic conversations over JP and Trent. Two duds that still evoked a high level of emotion from us. The thoughts ranged the gambit of total hatred to "he's the second coming."

I would have gladly traded JP to Justa in 2007. He had high hopes on him. Conversely Justa could have fleeced me in 2009 to grab trent.

I get your overall point, but in practice, you are dinging the bills for something they shouldn't getting the knock on.

FlyingDutchman
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I find it ironic that OP said the Bills were wasting their time on something pointless....as we get to page 11 of this

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM

I get $50 hotel rooms which normally cost $150 per night because I bothered to ask via priceline.

low ball offer gets accepted because i asked.If I listen to you, I'd be paying up the yingyang.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I find it ironic that OP said the Bills were wasting their time on something pointless....as we get to page 11 of this

Ok, I'll give you this one- it made me laugh.

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 11:50 AM
low ball offer gets accepted because i asked.If I listen to you, I'd be paying up the yingyang.

if someone wants Maybin for a low-ball offer, they're better off waiting til we release him then signing him for peanuts. You're looking at it from the Bills' point of view and not the POV of another team that may want him.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Isn't that how you got the cheap price in the first place?

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
if someone wants Maybin for a low-ball offer, they're better off waiting til we release him then signing him for peanuts. You're looking at it from the Bills' point of view and not the POV of another team that may want him.
again, it doesn't hurt to ask. I know you think POZ isn't worth 5m /yr but he got 6 M because he bothered to ask. Hi reward for asking.

Historian
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't know why you're *****in OP.

It's not like the Bills fron office hasn't been a bunch of used car salesmen since Butler left...

:couch:

Bill Cody
08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
To me it is.

Like I said before, sometimes it's appropriate to say "why bother?" because the outcome is so obvious. This is one of those times.

Got it. There's no chance the Bills get even a 7th round pick for Maybin. Absolutely zero. Never ever happen in a million years. Total and complete waste of time to pick up the phone. So.....

If Maybin IS traded for anything at all you won't mind agreeing to video yourself wearing pink boxers and a bra strumming a guitar and singing a song with a chorus that says "Ralph Wilson is my hero, the Bills are going to the Super Bowl" and post it on utube. Deal?

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Got it. There's no chance the Bills get even a 7th round pick for Maybin. Absolutely zero. Never ever happen in a million years. Total and complete waste of time to pick up the phone. So.....

If Maybin IS traded for anything at all you won't mind agreeing to video yourself wearing pink boxers and a bra strumming a guitar and singing a song with a chorus that says "Ralph Wilson is my hero, the Bills are going to the Super Bowl" and post it on utube. Deal?

I won't go that far but if he is traded for anything at all I'll come back and eat crow.

trapezeus
08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

and when you get to the hotel, you should still ask, are they any upgrades. worth a shot since it costs you nothing.

justasportsfan
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
and when you get to the hotel, you should still ask, are they any upgrades. worth a shot since it costs you nothing.

exactly!

OpIv37
08-09-2011, 01:16 PM

it comes down to this:

When you ask for the hotel or airline upgrade, there is a chance you'll get it. Most of the times you won't, but on rare occasions you will.

You believe that with Maybin, this is one of those cases where on rare occasions you might luck out.

I believe that there is zero chance you'll get the upgrade. If you want to stick to your hotel analogy, it's like asking for an upgrade to the honeymoon suite at the Red Roof Inn.

Dr. Lecter
08-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Why would he copy justa's gimmick?

Philagape
08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
well if he has "potential value" at a position where we're weak, why trade him? That doesn't make any sense.

If he has value, we keep him. If he doesn't have value, don't bother trying to trade him because he has no value. But this "he has enough value to trade but not enough to keep" thing is illogical.

No, because a player has different value to different teams. His value to the Bills is a potential draft pick in return. The trade feeler is to see if he has value to anyone else. If he doesn't, still worth the try.

trapezeus
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
it comes down to this:

When you ask for the hotel or airline upgrade, there is a chance you'll get it. Most of the times you won't, but on rare occasions you will.

You believe that with Maybin, this is one of those cases where on rare occasions you might luck out.

I believe that there is zero chance you'll get the upgrade. If you want to stick to your hotel analogy, it's like asking for an upgrade to the honeymoon suite at the Red Roof Inn.

don't you always take the upgrade. even in the red roof inn? better location, maybe a better shower. who knows. but it's priced to be better than being in the standard room.

are you telling me if the news story right now was, "aaron maybin goes to XX team for a 7th round pick" you wouldn't be like, "thank god."

I think we are all over the period of hoping he'll turn into something. so yes, to trade a #1 for a #7 is awful, but it's better than nothing.

I would take it. the key to your point is that we can't keep drafting ****ty #1's and looking to move them around for lesser talent than what was originally available to us.

Bill Cody
08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I won't go that far

ah ha! That tells me you know (but won't admit) there's a chance, however slight, that the Bills will get something in return. And that sir means you've been deliberately taking a phony position these 13 long pages. I will therefore give you my rating of your performance in this thread: :1:

ghz in pittsburgh
08-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Wow some personality here.

Who read this thread thinks OpIv is managing material in the real world? I do see some leadership quality.

Stewie
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't ever recall praising a team for the same thing I criticized the Bills for.

Got an example?

And yes, I will continue "hating" on the Bills (if that's what you want to call legitimate criticism) until they get results.

It'd be legitimate criticism if it was balanced with legitimate credit where it's due. But you rarely, if ever, offer the latter.

Stewie
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM

So, you ask others to define when it's worthless and when it isn't.. but you haven't either.. I guess you just know and everyone else is stupid. Right?

Beebe's Kid
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

What a joke.

You also fail at 100% of the things you never try.