BillsFanCupp38
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article516667.ece

EDS
08-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I can see that getting exploited fast.

Jaybird
08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
those guys are too big to play outside LB... they won;t be able to cover, and not sure they are fast enough to get to the QB from that spot

EDS
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Also, it is Wang he is blowing by, so again, not really representative of much.

trapezeus
08-09-2011, 11:03 AM
better in camp than on 3rd and 5 during a game.

DraftBoy
08-09-2011, 11:03 AM
There is a thin line between creative and stupid. I fear at times we tread very close to crossing it.

psubills62
08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
My word people will find reasons to complain. Sounds to me like they're mostly using him as an OLB to rush the passer. And even if they aren't, lots of teams have their big guys drop back into coverage once in a while.

Creativity and unpredictability are two things our defense was severely lacking in last year. Let's hope they infuse a little of both this year.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
My word people will find reasons to complain. Sounds to me like they're mostly using him as an OLB to rush the passer. And even if they aren't, lots of teams have their big guys drop back into coverage once in a while.

Creativity and unpredictability are two things our defense was severely lacking in last year. Let's hope they infuse a little of both this year.
I agree. Camp is the time to move guys around, try new things, and see what works and what doesn't. I think some people get overly concerned when we experiment with personnel and formation changes, when this is exactly the time to do it.

EDS
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM

You can't see that getting exploited? Quick audible and bam. Standing up a 300 pounder to rush the passer gives the offense a pretty good idea of what is coming.

BillsFanCupp38
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Carrington, other than his weight, is built like a OLB. Not sure about Edwards and Johnson.

better days
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
better in camp than on 3rd and 5 during a game.

I think 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 would be the more likely situation Carrington is used myself.

psubills62
08-09-2011, 11:32 AM
You can't see that getting exploited? Quick audible and bam. Standing up a 300 pounder to rush the passer gives the offense a pretty good idea of what is coming.
OLB's don't always stand up, and if he's athletic enough to simply drop into coverage once in a while, then they can add a level of unpredictability.

My word, it was one day in TC, not like they're moving the dude to OLB. Have him go through the drills once in a while, maybe drop him back into coverage as a DE even.

superbills
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Cue the "we're wasting precious time in training camp" responses... :tap:

jimbledsoe
08-09-2011, 12:06 PM

I like when Chan does things like this. It gives us more options on game day. Carrington may never line up at OLB in live games. but if a situation arises where it could create a favorable mismatch in an important part of the game, it is great knowing that they have that in there back pocket. Chan seems to really like to have everyone know what other postions are supposed to do. I think it could make the team better.

Go Bills

mysticsoto
08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
There is a thin line between creative and stupid. I fear at times we tread very close to crossing it.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Isn't this was Lebeau's zone blitz used to do, essentially, move a DE back into coverage on a blitz and catch a QB by surprise where he wasn't expecting a DE to be?

This type of thing can be useful if we're playing a strong Running team, if we know the plays is going to be a run, or on occasion to throw a newbie QB off. I've seen nothing where this is going to be the norm, however.

DraftBoy
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions. Isn't this was Lebeau's zone blitz used to do, essentially, move a DE back into coverage on a blitz and catch a QB by surprise where he wasn't expecting a DE to be?

This type of thing can be useful if we're playing a strong Running team, if we know the plays is going to be a run, or on occasion to throw a newbie QB off. I've seen nothing where this is going to be the norm, however.

You're trying to make it appear to be something its not. This isn't dropping a DE into zone coverage. This is taking a DE, and lining him up at LB to do whatever.

The genius of what Labeau did was pre-snap you couldn't see anything different from normal. With what we are doing, you can easily spot the 290 lbs. LB in a 2 pt stance.

Like I said there is a thin line between creative and stupid.

mysticsoto
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
You're trying to make it appear to be something its not. This isn't dropping a DE into zone coverage. This is taking a DE, and lining him up at LB to do whatever.

The genius of what Labeau did was pre-snap you couldn't see anything different from normal. With what we are doing, you can easily spot the 290 lbs. LB in a 2 pt stance.

I understand, but the net effect could be the same if the defense is changing their formations attempting to throw off the opponent. I am reminded of a Patriot game where they did not get into a particular stance until the last minute before the snap. Worked really well.

Again, I don't think this is something that would be used all the time and haven't seen any indication that that will be the case...

BillsFanCupp38
08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I won't be surprised if you see Carrington there more than we all think.

acehole
08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article516667.ece

Why they can't do that!

That is stupid!

I have no reasons why just a proclamation!

Who ever heard of switching positions on a football team.

Duh,....that is just crazy!
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Sarcasm off.
:sarcasm2: :sarcasm2: :sarcasm2:

DraftBoy
08-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I understand, but the net effect could be the same if the defense is changing their formations attempting to throw off the opponent. I am reminded of a Patriot game where they did not get into a particular stance until the last minute before the snap. Worked really well.

Again, I don't think this is something that would be used all the time and haven't seen any indication that that will be the case...

Its not changing the formation though either. That's the issue here. There is nothing deceptive about it. You just get slower, stronger, and less instinctive at OLB.

I agree, but I dont want to see it used even once. I cant think of one advantage because it is so obvious.

Extremebillsfan247
08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
better in camp than on 3rd and 5 during a game. I agree with that. Camp is where you find out if they can make those types of adjustments. When the games are live, it's too late for that. But I can see why it is being done. You never know which, or how many players may end up injured, so you better have someone ready to step in if needed. I much rather know whether he can, or can't play the position now, then to find out later when it counts. JMO

methos4ever
08-10-2011, 12:21 PM

In this case, when they were using him as such, most of the time they were using a Psycho package with two down linemen, 4 linebackers and 5 dbs. Merriman and Moats moved around a lot with Barnett in there and then of the four typically 3 lbers would blitz with one of the safeties (twice byrd) as well.

psubills62
08-10-2011, 12:31 PM
We in heah talkin' about practice? I mean, listen, we talkin' about practice. Not a game! ... We talkin' about practice, man! Practice?