PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Coaches

ryven
06-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Have to say the all time best that I knew was marv sorry the thats the only former coach I can say that about.
I'll say that cowher does a good job with talent he gets

LtBillsFan66
06-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Marv is the man.

Other than Marv, I have to go to college. Joe Paterno...

ryven
06-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Paterno Is good coach sorry for onther favorites board but im board

LtBillsFan66
06-25-2003, 02:38 PM
I liked Joe Gibbs when he coached.

R. Rich
06-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Other than Marv, I have to go to college. Joe Paterno... [/B][/QUOTE]

JoePa is the man! Arguably the best of them all at halftime adjustments! Recruiting has been rough in recent years, but he's still an excellent coach. Look at the turnaround he did a couple years ago, when they started out so poorly and finished strong. He needs help with recruiting players, but he still "has it" as a coach, without a doubt.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-25-2003, 03:22 PM
IMO the best coaches in the game today that I won't say I like, well OK I do and I have respect for:

1. Jeff Fisher, Tennessee
2. Mike Shanahan, Denver
3. Jim Fassel, New York Giants
4. Marty Schotenheimer, San Diego

Coaches that I hate and have respect for:
1. Bill Belichick, NE
2. Chucky Gruden, TB
3. Bill Cower, Pit

ryven
06-25-2003, 03:27 PM
yes I have agree shanahan is great coach

Jan Reimers
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
I hate to say it, but Parcells is a great coach. Wannstadt is the dumbest.

ryven
06-25-2003, 03:37 PM
all I got to say is I hope GW can pull his act together he did a decent job last year but this year with talent I hope he doesn't bone it up.

TedMock
06-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Parcells teams are always competitive so I have to respect that. We'll see what GW has this season. He was "the man" in Tennessee as the DC so I think with a little talent in B-lo he may end up being a decent coach. Marv was successful and I truly believe he deserves the utmost respect but his teams here were stacked with talent.......except Jeff Wright. That's why I'm not convinced GW is a bad coach. I do question Gilbride though. Isn't funny that GW's mentor, and the best defensive coach ever, is the same guy who punched Gilbride in the face? Maybe GW should try that once or twice.

The_Philster
06-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Other than Marv, I have to go to college. Joe Paterno...

JoePa is the man! Arguably the best of them all at halftime adjustments! Recruiting has been rough in recent years, but he's still an excellent coach. Look at the turnaround he did a couple years ago, when they started out so poorly and finished strong. He needs help with recruiting players, but he still "has it" as a coach, without a doubt. [/B][/QUOTE]

:10: Couldn't agree more. JoePa is the best. As far as recruiting, maybe it hasd to do with the fact that he stopped guaranteeing he'd be there for the entire college career of the player he was recruiting. He stopped making that guarantee a few years ago.

justasportsfan
06-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Wade Philips :bling:

cordog
06-25-2003, 04:37 PM
JOEPA RULES!!!! College will NEVER have a better coach. You see these dumbass coaches like Price and Neuhisel, however the hell you spell it, and it makes you feel good to see a coach who has been a class act for almost 40 years.

G. Host
06-25-2003, 07:25 PM
OL and assistant head coach of Denver Broncos. I was hoping he would become head coach of Bills instead of Gregg Williams.

imbondz
06-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Marv Levy
Chuck Gruden
Bill Cower
Don Shula
Tom Landry
Jeff Fisher

Voltron
06-25-2003, 10:05 PM
I can't believe not one person Brought up the name of the man the NFL trophy is named after!!!!

No one was better than good ole Vince Lombardi. I love to read his quotes, I love to watch him coach on espn Classic and he is the man that coaches today hope to hear their names in the same sentance with

One more from the past.

No matter how much you hate the Fins Don Shula is the ONLY coach to ever have a perfect season. Gotta give him props for that.

Pride
06-25-2003, 10:33 PM
GW is/will be/was the dumbest

mikemac2001
06-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Dungy is up there for me i thought he would be a great coach when he was the D cord for the vikes.

SABURZFAN
06-25-2003, 10:41 PM
rich kotite-JETS
rod rust-PATS

they made their teams look horrible.:snicker:

imbondz
06-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Voltron
I can't believe not one person Brought up the name of the man the NFL trophy is named after!!!!

No one was better than good ole Vince Lombardi. I love to read his quotes, I love to watch him coach on espn Classic and he is the man that coaches today hope to hear their names in the same sentance with

One more from the past.

No matter how much you hate the Fins Don Shula is the ONLY coach to ever have a perfect season. Gotta give him props for that.

Don Shula is definitely a great coach. I don't think anyone here would deny that.

But, i've never seen Vince Lombardi coach, so it's hard to rank him as a favorite. I'm sure ALOT of the old coaches are better than today.

Chuck Noll
John Madden
George Allen
G. Halas
Sid Gillman

etc...

Demon
06-26-2003, 12:16 AM
My favorite coach besides Marv Levy has been Ted Catrell. When he was the Bills defensive coordinator i think he did an excellent job making our defense one of the best in the league and Marcellus Wiley, Sam Coward and Pat Williams have alot of thanks to give him because Catrell made them the players they are now.

I don't like him as much now since he's doing exactly what he did here in New York with the Jets, but hes a class act. With Robertson being so good on paper added with Catrell as coach, that scares me to death. I really think as good as Robertson is, Catrell will make him better.

If theres any assistant coach who deserves to be a head coach its Ted Catrell.

shelby
06-26-2003, 04:30 AM
i agree with you, Demon. i wanted Teddy Cotrell as our HC.

Marv Levy was the best HC ever.:up:

Jon Gruden is amazing. And he's a good HC too.:D

R. Rich
06-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by cordog
JOEPA RULES!!!! College will NEVER have a better coach. You see these dumbass coaches like Price and Neuhisel, however the hell you spell it, and it makes you feel good to see a coach who has been a class act for almost 40 years.

A testament to his greatness: he is one of only 4 coaches to ever be named the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year. The others? Don Shula, Dean Smith, and John Wooden. Pretty good company to be in.

ryven
06-26-2003, 07:34 AM
no disrespect to lombardie but he was way before my time

TedMock
06-26-2003, 09:13 AM
I don't think any of todays coaches compare to the guys I grew up watching. Parcells is still around and he's a great coach. Other than that, the late 70's and early 80's had far superior coaching. Knoll, Landry, Shula, Gibbs, Walsh, Reeves and as a defensive coordinator, Buddy Ryan. He got as much hype as Ditka did in 1985 for that Chicago defense. He also coached the Eagles after that who had the best D around and later coached D for a very good Houston Oiler team.

Rude American
06-26-2003, 09:56 AM
A few beat me to it.

Parcells. The best there is. Then maybe Gruden. And then Wade Phillips. jk! :D

Voltron
06-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Gruden is great. I know a guy that played Free Safety for the raiders under Madden and he can't say enough good things about the guy. You may not like him as an announcer but I believe he was an amazing coach. Parcells is a great coach but a Jerk. I mean if you can say that Parcells is that good than why not Jimmy Johnson?

As far as Lombardi you can catch some of his games on ESPN classic. They show the Ice bowl quite a bit. Do a search and read up on him. He was an amazing man. He shoudl have been a General I swear. He could get his men to do what ever he wanted.

Valerie
06-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Tom Landry was my favortie coach. And, I think he's one of the best that's been and that will be.

After him, I really can't comment. There are some good coaches out there, but no one who stands out in my mind. I used to like Parcells until he started playing musical teams. I lost all respect for him when he went to the Jets.

Earthquake Enyart
06-27-2003, 11:53 AM
I've never been a big Marv fan. :couch:

He was outcoached in all 4 SB's.

Lou Sabin was the man.

XNOUGHT
06-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Billick

Never at a loss for words and always has competetive teams.

R. Rich
06-28-2003, 05:47 AM
I cannot stand Brian Billick! He is the most arrogant coach in the NFL not named Spurrier or Parcells. The great "offensive guru" won his only Super Bowl when his team was carried by its defense.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-28-2003, 06:15 AM
I cannot stand Brian Billick! He is the most arrogant coach in the NFL not named Spurrier or Parcells. The great "offensive guru" won his only Super Bowl when his team was carried by its defense.

I agree he is an a$$, but the key to your statement, WON his only Super Bowl.

justasportsfan
06-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Pride

For the sake of the bills, I hope you're wrong

R. Rich
06-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly

I agree he is an a$$, but the key to your statement, WON his only Super Bowl.

"His" Super Bowl win came courtesy of Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio, Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Rod Woodson, Jamie Sharper, Sam Adams, Michael McCrary, Tony Siragusa, Chris McAllister, Duane Starks and the rest of an extrememly talented defense. I give the Ravens credit for putting the pieces in place to win a championship as quickly as they did (that credit should go to Ozzie Newsome), but for him to spout off like HE was the main reason they won it all is just garbage. This offensive mastermind had his team so productive that it took WEEKS for them to score a single touchdown! I remember when Brandon Stokley caught the TD pass, I was at Damon's. The whole place erupted like they had won a Super Bowl right then! Oh, and the development of his young offensive players? Redman? Travis Taylor (he was better last year, but remember he was the 10th pick in the entire draft when he came out!!)? Now, to give credit where it is due, Jamal Lewis would've been scary if not for his injury, and with it, he's still pretty damn good. Also, Todd Heap was great last year too (helped by the fact that their WRs just plain SUCKED!!!). Still, he hasn't impressed me with his supposed 'offensive genius' at all. They were better offensively with Marchibroda as their coach!

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-28-2003, 12:48 PM
So what you are saying is he is a cheerleader R. Rich?

Dozerdog
06-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Lou Saban was the best motivator/X's and O's coach the Bills had. He took the least talent and did the most with it.

Unfortunately, he had a major screw loose and quit twice.

Chuck Knox was probably a close second on the X's and O's- his defenses were incredible. But He became frustrated with the Bills inability to sign their own big name players ( a problem he did not have in LA) and he left.

Levy was great as well, but he was more a motivator and had the benefit of fantastic talent. If Knox or Saban had that collection of talent, they might have won a few of those SB's.

Marv was by far the most colorful and entertaining

R. Rich
06-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
So what you are saying is he is a cheerleader R. Rich?

I'm saying that Brian Billick was hired to coach the Ravens beacuse of the good job he did as offensive coordinator of the Vikings. The Ravens had shown an ability to score points and to throw the ball well with Marchibroda as coach and Vinny at QB (his only Pro Bowl year was when he was with the Ravens, I think). When Billick was hired, everyone in the Baltimore area was excited about how good their offense could become now that they had a top offensive mind as their coach. Since he became the head coach, their offense has been average at best! I give the defense credit (practically ALL the credit!) for winning the Super Bowl, but how much of that was Billick and how much was Marvin Lewis' schemes and the caliber of players they had to execute his schemes? I guess I can say he did his job in that he kept the team together and focused on winning the title. That said, until he puts as potent an offense on the field as he had in Minnesota (or as the Ravens had under Marchibroda), I think he is overrated.

Dozerdog
06-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Pride

Not by a long shot. Hank Bullough was the dumbest.

The worst Bills coach by a million miles was John Rauch. How in the hell do you use OJ Simpson as a decoy/WR/Kick returner for 2 years? The Bills had the nucleus of a great line in 1969 (old, but still good) yet he tried to use a pass happy offense that failed miserably. (Without talent at WR)

It was simple- give the Ball to OJ- and he couldn't figure it out. When you use the first pick in the draft for the heisman winning RB and the first pick in the 2nd round on a bruising FB (Bill Enyart) you would figure the Bills would run the ball.

Nope. Never happened. What an idiot

Dozerdog
06-28-2003, 04:06 PM

I'm saying that Brian Billick was hired to coach the Ravens beacuse of the good job he did as offensive coordinator of the Vikings. The Ravens had shown an ability to score points and to throw the ball well with Marchibroda as coach and Vinny at QB (his only Pro Bowl year was when he was with the Ravens, I think). When Billick was hired, everyone in the Baltimore area was excited about how good their offense could become now that they had a top offensive mind as their coach. Since he became the head coach, their offense has been average at best! I give the defense credit (practically ALL the credit!) for winning the Super Bowl, but how much of that was Billick and how much was Marvin Lewis' schemes and the caliber of players they had to execute his schemes? I guess I can say he did his job in that he kept the team together and focused on winning the title. That said, until he puts as potent an offense on the field as he had in Minnesota (or as the Ravens had under Marchibroda), I think he is overrated.

You got that right, didn't they go something like 16 quarters without an offensive TD their SB year? And they won 3 of the 4 games.

The_Philster
06-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Not by a long shot. Hank Bullough was the dumbest.

The worst Bills coach by a million miles was John Rauch. How in the hell do you use OJ Simpson as a decoy/WR/Kick returner for 2 years? The Bills had the nucleus of a great line in 1969 (old, but still good) yet he tried to use a pass happy offense that failed miserably. (Without talent at WR)

It was simple- give the Ball to OJ- and he couldn't figure it out. When you use the first pick in the draft for the heisman winning RB and the first pick in the 2nd round on a bruising FB (Bill Enyart) you would figure the Bills would run the ball.

Nope. Never happened. What an idiot

:10: That was the dumbest thing a coach could have ever done. Juice could've had an even more productive career had he been utilized more early on. When I first read about what happened back then, and knowing how great a back the Juice was, I had to wonder if I was reading things wrong. :chuckle: