PDA

View Full Version : did anyone see darren woodson's eagles season prediction?

ublinkwescore
08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
was it just me or did he refer to buffalo as being a good team or a good team on the rise or something?

he said it yesterday morning when he was picking the eagles' wins and losses. unfortunately he did pick the bills to lose that game though.

If so, that was awesome.

OpIv37
08-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I really just don't think any of these guys pay enough attention to Buffalo to make a valid prediction.

Last year, all they knew was that we were coming off a bad season and had a new GM, new coach, and were switching D's, therefore we would suck.

This year, all they know is that we have a lot of young guys from last year and this year, plus we drafted Dareus, therefore we're "on the rise."

I really don't pay much attention to any national guys when it comes to the Bills. The local sources are so much better. I've also found that some of the Dolphins and Patriots news sites aren't so bad for Bills stuff because, while they hate us, they at least care enough to pay attention to a division rival before opening their mouths.

Mr. Miyagi
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Last year, all they knew was that we were coming off a bad season and had a new GM, new coach, and were switching D's, therefore we would suck.

This year, all they know is that we have a lot of young guys from last year and this year, plus we drafted Dareus, therefore we're "on the rise."

Were they wrong?

DrGraves
08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Yea I heard it... and I agree!

OpIv37
08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Were they wrong?

ha, no, but let's be honest- it didn't take a genius to figure out that the Bills would be bad last year. When it comes to saying something like "they're a team on the rise," I just don't trust the national guys to know enough about our team to make that kind of assessment.

Also, when we're getting slammed by the national media (which is usually the case), people on this website can't wait to jump in with how they don't know anything about the Bills. But then when the national media says something good about us, suddenly they become credible.

I just try to stick to the mentality of taking anything they say about the Bills with a healthy dose of skepticism, be it good or bad.

BillsWin
08-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I think they went about it the right way in predicting us the past two years.

Before, the media would basically look at the Bills and think, "They suck, so they're going to suck again."

They wouldn't even bother citing players or coaches or units. For them last year to say, "Young team, coming off bad season with new coach and GM, which means they'll struggle." is a step forward.

Now they recognize that we are in the second year of a system with returning youth and talent and additions of players like Merriman, Barnett and Dareus.

Logic dictates we are "on the rise" as they put it.

Valid predictions.

ublinkwescore
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah but we get more than our fair share of negative publicity and make no mistake i will bet any one that buffalo wins 7 games this year.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 09:39 AM
a lot of these experts didn't predict that we would be competitive vs. the good teams last year.We were, plus we addressed our biggest weakness, the DL. IF our run D was in the middle of the pack last year, we would have won more games.

No one also predicted that our QB would be as decent as it was last year. Add to the fact that we are a year into the new system, I'm not surprised that people think we could be better than we were last year.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 09:44 AM
the bills will be on the rise. we were 0-8, had 8 games of giving up 200+ yards rushing, had 8 games giving up more than 30 pts. It's going to be truly impossible to be worse than that statistically.

Even if we go 4-12 again, i think we'll have a better statistical defense and a more cohesive offense.

TigerJ
08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Honestly, I would be shocked if the Bills went 4-12 again. The defense is going to be much better, in the middle of the pack rather than at the bottom. Unlike some, I think the offense will be slightly better rather than worse. I think the prediction some have made that the offense will be worse is based on the notion that defenses will have more film and more familiarity with the Bills defense this year. It was brand new last season, and it was the first time Fitzpatrick worked with a Gailey offense. That familiarity works against the Bills, but I think it will be compensated by modestly better line play. I also think the Bills are going to get more production out of Spiller and Chandler. Brad Smith is a perfect fit for the kinds of things Gailey likes to do with his offense, and with the quality depth at WR, Buffalo simply has too many weapons they can put on the field at the same time for defenses to handle easily.

better days
08-10-2011, 12:23 PM
ha, no, but let's be honest- it didn't take a genius to figure out that the Bills would be bad last year. When it comes to saying something like "they're a team on the rise," I just don't trust the national guys to know enough about our team to make that kind of assessment.

Also, when we're getting slammed by the national media (which is usually the case), people on this website can't wait to jump in with how they don't know anything about the Bills. But then when the national media says something good about us, suddenly they become credible.

I just try to stick to the mentality of taking anything they say about the Bills with a healthy dose of skepticism, be it good or bad.

Don't you take anything said by anyone about anything with a healthy dose of skepticism?

OpIv37
08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Don't you take anything said by anyone about anything with a healthy dose of skepticism?

good point.

But I apply even more skepticism to the national guys on ESPN and NFLN because they just don't pay attention to us.

I don't necessarily blame them because their job is to appeal to the widest possible audience, and they aren't going to do that by spending a lot of time on a small market team that isn't winning. If we start winning again, I'm sure they'll pay more attention, but in the meantime I'll stick to Buffalo and AFCE sources.

Night Train
08-10-2011, 01:27 PM
good point.

But I apply even more skepticism to the national guys on ESPN and NFLN because they just don't pay attention to us.

I don't necessarily blame them because their job is to appeal to the widest possible audience, and they aren't going to do that by spending a lot of time on a small market team that isn't winning. If we start winning again, I'm sure they'll pay more attention, but in the meantime I'll stick to Buffalo and AFCE sources.

Agreed. I think they get all their info from 3rd parties and if it's from the guys at WGR who call them for online interviews, then that explains a lot.

better days
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Agreed. I think they get all their info from 3rd parties and if it's from the guys at WGR who call them for online interviews, then that explains a lot.

Or they read Jerry Sullivans column online.

Forward_Lateral
08-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Honestly, I would be shocked if the Bills went 4-12 again. The defense is going to be much better, in the middle of the pack rather than at the bottom. Unlike some, I think the offense will be slightly better rather than worse. I think the prediction some have made that the offense will be worse is based on the notion that defenses will have more film and more familiarity with the Bills defense this year. It was brand new last season, and it was the first time Fitzpatrick worked with a Gailey offense. That familiarity works against the Bills, but I think it will be compensated by modestly better line play. I also think the Bills are going to get more production out of Spiller and Chandler. Brad Smith is a perfect fit for the kinds of things Gailey likes to do with his offense, and with the quality depth at WR, Buffalo simply has too many weapons they can put on the field at the same time for defenses to handle easily.
Post of the year.

ublinkwescore
08-14-2011, 02:44 PM
the bills will be on the rise. we were 0-8, had 8 games of giving up 200+ yards rushing, had 8 games giving up more than 30 pts. It's going to be truly impossible to be worse than that statistically.

Even if we go 4-12 again, i think we'll have a better statistical defense and a more cohesive offense.

enough with the 4-12 people it's not happening. don't be surprised if we stun the pats or the jets once this year - or possibly both. if we can do that, we have a serious shot at the playoffs. SERIOUS shot at the playoffs.

TonyIncredible
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
forever 7-9 :jig: