PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey/Does more with Less

Figster
08-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Its no secret that Chan Gailey is a very creative, football savvy coach capable of accomplishing more with less. My question is, does there come a point when Gaileys exceptional innovative skills actual works against him and the team when it comes to accomplishing the ultimate goal,winning a Championship. Gailey can take no name WR's and turn them into stars, Stevie Johnson is a good example. Now I'm not saying Johnson's not a good athlete because he is, but I am saying without Chan Gailey coordinating the offense Johnson is just another average WR in the NFL. Career backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick is another good example. In all probability Fitzpatrick is about to have the best season of his career as a starting signal caller in the NFL. The Bills O-line is another good example, in my opinion the Bills O-line is in the top 5 worse O-lines in the league. On the other hand, Chan Gailey will take our current below average O-line and he's going to disguise it with exceptional scheming/ play calling and win football games.

Gailey can do more with less, no doubt about it, but my question to Buddy Nix is, can you be Football savvy enough to realize that with better talent accross the board on Offense and a good defense backing them up, Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills could win a Championship.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/misc/progress.gif

bf1
08-10-2011, 10:19 AM
From 7-9 to 4-12 is doing more with less?

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 10:22 AM
the 7-9 bills were hardly competitive. hanging on against bad teams to pull out wins. the 4-12 bills were in games with good teams. Aside from the very beginning of the season, they showed that they were kind of a NFL team. They had problems, but then addressed them. Trent sucked, he was gone. Defense 3-4 was not ready personel wise, they went back.

Gailey's 4-12 season was much mroe enjoyable than the 7-9 jauron teams.

bf1
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
the 7-9 bills were hardly competitive. hanging on against bad teams to pull out wins. the 4-12 bills were in games with good teams. Aside from the very beginning of the season, they showed that they were kind of a NFL team. They had problems, but then addressed them. Trent sucked, he was gone. Defense 3-4 was not ready personel wise, they went back.

:rofl:

Extremebillsfan247
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Its no secret that Chan Gailey is a very creative, football savvy coach capable of accomplishing more with less. My question is, does there come a point when Gaileys exceptional innovative skills actual works against him and the team when it comes to accomplishing the ultimate goal,winning a Championship. Gailey can take no name WR's and turn them into stars, Stevie Johnson is a good example. Now I'm not saying Johnson's not a good athlete because he is, but I am saying without Chan Gailey coordinating the offense Johnson is just another average WR in the NFL. Career backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick is another good example. In all probability Fitzpatrick is about to have the best season of his career as a starting signal caller in the NFL. The Bills O-line is another good example, in my opinion the Bills O-line is in the top 5 worse O-lines in the league. On the other hand, Chan Gailey will take our current below average O-line and he's going to disguise it with exceptional scheming/ play calling and win football games.

Gailey can do more with less, no doubt about it, but my question to Buddy Nix is, can you be Football savvy enough to realize that with better talent accross the board on Offense and a good defense backing them up, Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills could win a Championship.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/misc/progress.gif
I think the answer to your question really is a matter of how much control Chan Gailey actually has over the team, and who gets to play on it/ who doesn't etc. As far as Stevie Johnson is concerned, you can attribute his success last year to Ryan Fitzpatrick who made him his go to receiver. Johnson was the receiver Fitz felt more familiar with having thrown to him quite often in practice while Fitz was still a back up here. Gailey just went with what was working at the time. But that is what Gailey does. He will keep trying different things until something sticks, and then builds off of that. Whether that will ever win him a championship in this league is unknown. JMO

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
offensively speaking, I agree with trap. Defensively close to the same due to the transition. Even though we had the wrong players, at least they werent soft.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
ROFL? Really? You thought the bills were building anything in those 3.5 years of jauron. At the end of every year, you were mostly thankful it was over.

Last year it was a bitter taste to have the last couple games end as poorly as the first, but you knew some areas were finally addressed and that the team actually could make some decisions instead of ramming the same bull**** idea week to week, year to year.

Chan isn't like a legendary coach, but i think he's earned the next two years more so than Jauron ever did.

Figster
08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I think the answer to your question really is a matter of how much control Chan Gailey actually has over the team, and who gets to play on it/ who doesn't etc. As far as Stevie Johnson is concerned, you can attribute his success last year to Ryan Fitzpatrick who made him his go to receiver. Johnson was the receiver Fitz felt more familiar with having thrown to him quite often in practice while Fitz was still a back up here. Gailey just went with what was working at the time. But that is what Gailey does. He will keep trying different things until something sticks, and then builds off of that. Whether that will ever win him a championship in this league is unknown. JMO

I agree Extreme, and so far indications suggest Chan Gailey has a lot of clout as HC of the Buffalo Bills.

better days
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM

So you had more enjoyment watching the Bills go about .500 year after year with Jauron as HC than the excitement of most of the games, even the losses last year??? :rofl: :rofl:

Ingtar33
08-10-2011, 01:38 PM

that's too much horse**** to swallow in one sentence.

bf1
08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
So you had more enjoyment watching the Bills go about .500 year after year with Jauron as HC than the excitement of most of the games, even the losses last year??? :rofl: :rofl:

Abso****inglutely not.

I hate 7-9. I hate 4-12 more.

I do not think 4-12 is better than 7-9.

I do not think a team has to go backwards or "bottom out" in order to improve.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bf1
08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
that's too much horse**** to swallow in one sentence.

I bet psychologists can have a field day examining that type of thinking.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Abso****inglutely not.

I hate 7-9. I hate 4-12 more.

I do not think 4-12 is better than 7-9.

I do not think a team has to go backwards or "bottom out" in order to improve.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the records do not tell the whole story of how the team performed. The schedule did not help matters for Gailey in his 1st year of cleaning up Dicks mess. I prefer the losses to pitts and Ravens last year over the losses to the browns under Dick.

I'll take Chans 1st year over Dicks 3rd and 4th year anyday.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
i just don't know how you take jauron's team that was mentality and physically soft and expect to just turn them around. and in the end, this year the draft positioning they had ended up being very beneficial. even their front office had a tough time blowing these picks this time.

and for the record, i think Jauron was like 3-6 when he was let go, and they won 3 more games simply because fewell was a breath of fresh air. So jauron was kind of cruising to a 3-13 season himself.

either way, neither team was that good. As i said a number of times, i felt like jauron teams were overacheiving 7-9 status. they were truly a 3 4 win team that managed to fight its way into a couple more wins.

Gailey didn't do that. with a couple extra bounces he could be at that same level.

it is what it is. i'd take gailey and his one **** season with the biills everyday if the only other option the table was Jauron.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2011, 01:59 PM
the records are not indicative of how the team performed. The schedule did not help matters for Gailey. I prefer the losses to pitts and Ravens last year over the losses to the browns under Dick.

Saying you prefer the losses to the Steelers and Ravens is like saying you preferred the Jauron led Bills loss to the Cowboys on MNF over Gaileys losses to the Jets - either one.

An L is an L.

And there was far more Ls last year than any of Jaurons years.

Oaf
08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I've heard this song before. Pretty much every crappy season we have, some dudes congrat us and our coaches for being scrappy.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Saying you prefer the losses to the Steelers and Ravens is like saying you preferred the Jauron led Bills loss to the Cowboys on MNF over Gaileys losses to the Jets - either one.

An L is an L.

And there was far more Ls last year than any of Jaurons years.A loss is just not a loss. Losing to a sb team is not worse than losing to a crappy browns.

It was expected that there would be more losses. Dick left wayyyy too much crap for any coach coming in to overcome.

and again it's gaileys Gaileys 1st year . We shall see soon enough if this team is headed the right way under Gailey. One things for sure this team was headed BACKWARDS the longer Dick was the HC. Typical of a team that Dick handles as HC. See the bears.

The premise of the thread is that Gailey could get so much more out of a bunch of undrafted rookies offensively than Dick could from a guy like TO and I agree.

sdbillsfan2
08-10-2011, 02:27 PM
A) Chan's teams seem to be better prepared pre-game. And I think he's much better with the needed second half adjustments.

B)Last year the players were all trying to get on the same page the new coaches laid out and the coaches were constantly assessing players strengths and weaknesses. Gaining familiarity !

With a year under the belt, things should be a little easier for both sides. the lockout didn't help and valuable mini camp and ota time was lost.

I seriously doubt if Jauron would dropped the hammer on Trent as quickly, and I doubt he would have send him packing.
Both positive steps. He may have avoided any chance of a Qb controversy by shipping his ass off.
Maybin not dressing all those games send out a message. either you produce or sit. first pick or not, Chan doesn't seem to give any player a free ride. But he and his staff have to show a step forward this year .

I actually got more enjoyment out of last years Bills then I have since wade was here. (there)

Mr. Pink
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
A loss is just not a loss. Losing to a sb team is not worse than losing to a crappy browns.

It was expected that there would be more losses. Dick left wayyyy too much crap for any coach coming in to overcome.

and again it's gaileys Gaileys 1st year . We shall see soon enough if this team is headed the right way under Gailey. One things for sure this team was headed BACKWARDS the longer Dick was the HC. Typical of a team that Dick handles as HC. See the bears.

The premise of the thread is that Gailey could get so much more out of a bunch of undrafted rookies offensively than Dick could from a guy like TO and I agree.

A loss is always a loss. They all count the same.. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters is a W. 7-9 is always better than 4-12 no matter how many times you try to spin it.

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to say the Gailey roster was so much worse than the Jauron rosters. And that somehow Gailey overachieved with the bunch of bums he had and Jauron held them back.

We've had expansion franchise level talent for years here and Jauron took that talent to 7-9 while Gailey took it to 4-12. But that's cool because Gailey made the offense look prettier by a tune of a point per game btw :rofl:

Just completely forget he turned the defense into a complete joke and made them 6 points per game worse.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
A loss is always a loss. They all count the same.. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters is a W. 7-9 is always better than 4-12 no matter how many times you try to spin it.

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to say the Gailey roster was so much worse than the Jauron rosters. And that somehow Gailey overachieved with the bunch of bums he had and Jauron held them back.

We've had expansion franchise level talent for years here and Jauron took that talent to 7-9 while Gailey took it to 4-12. But that's cool because Gailey made the offense look prettier by a tune of a point per game btw :rofl:

Just completely forget he turned the defense into a complete joke and made them 6 points per game worse.

it worse when you are trying to convert a bunch of light/undersized soft players to play 3-4 in what was a hard schedule . Dick didn't have to revamp a team the way Chan has had to. Again, Dicks team regressed the longer he coached.

We shall see soon enough and my guess is that even this D will turn out to be better than what Dick ever had.

As for the 1 point better, he outdid what dick did in 4 years. :laughing:

I am also sure that Chans D will end up better than Dicks D with the browns.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2011, 03:24 PM
it worse when you are trying to convert a bunch of light/undersized soft players to play 3-4 in what was a hard schedule . Dick didn't have to revamp a team the way Chan has had to. Again, Dicks team regressed the longer he coached.

We shall see soon enough and my guess is that even this D will turn out to be better than what Dick ever had.

As for the 1 point better, he outdid what dick did in 4 years. :laughing:

I am also sure that Chans D will end up better than Dicks D with the browns.

Defense still was never the problem when Dick was here, it was the offense. You combine a middle of the pack defense with a better than terrible offense and you'll win football games. If this team had an offense that could score points while Dick was here it would be a wild card competitive team.

The Browns defense in points allowed last year was 13th, the Bills 28th...fyi Losing Rob Ryan does suck though and Buffalo should have pursued him for their DC job.

Oh yeah...the 2008 Bills scored 21 PPG, 2010 17.7, so no he didn't outdo Dick, sorry.

Better how? Points allowed? This season? Next? Yards allowed?

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
So what coach was supposed to come in here and fix this in one year? From the people who think that we are in a worse position now with gailey at helm, what legendary coach would have been able to take a team with no linemen on either side of the ball, a crap safety, a crap LB corp, a team with no QB, and an untested WR corp and make them better than 7-9?

I think anyone who went into last year expecting better results were out of their mind. You are giving a group of contented losers a shock.

and again, i'm not saying gailey is a god-send, but he has made at least 50% of the games watchable last year, which is up from 0% in the jauron years.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Defense still was never the problem when Dick was here, it was the offense. You combine a middle of the pack defense with a better than terrible offense and you'll win football games. If this team had an offense that could score points while Dick was here it would be a wild card competitive team.

The Browns defense in points allowed last year was 13th, the Bills 28th...fyi Losing Rob Ryan does suck though and Buffalo should have pursued him for their DC job.

Oh yeah...the 2008 Bills scored 21 PPG, 2010 17.7, so no he didn't outdo Dick, sorry.

:roflmao:

You are only as good as your last performance. Under Dicks last year the bills scored an average of 15 pts/g while he was coach. It increased when Fewell took over which you failed to mention since it makes Dick look bad and attempted to use what Fewell did to pad Dicks nos. :lmao:

Again, Dicks team regressed the longer he stayed as HC. You just proved my point. He went from 21 pts in 2008 to 15 pts 2009 prior to getting fired :lmao: :roflmao:

do you know what Dicks 2008 nos. to his 2009 nos. say? Shonert was right and Dick was wrong. Do you know what the increase of points scored when Fewell took over says? Fewell was right Dick was wrong.

better days
08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

I would also like to add that Chan gave Trent a chance the 1st two games of the year, & gave Brohm a chance the last game which skews the point total down.

Tony Dungy had a GREAT defense in Tampa & couldn't get over the Hump playing the Tampa 2. The Browns will finish about .500 as long as Jauron is DC. He will keep the Browns in games, not giving up the BIG play but his defense won't win them any games.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I would also like to add that Chan gave Trent a chance the 1st two games of the year, & gave Brohm a chance the last game which skews the point total down.

Tony Dungy had a GREAT defense in Tampa & couldn't get over the Hump playing the Tampa 2. The Browns will finish about .500 as long as Jauron is DC. He will keep the Browns in games, not giving up the BIG play but his defense won't win them any games.

Tell that to the Steelers who rode that defensive style to a dynasty in the 70s.

better days
08-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Tell that to the Steelers who rode that defensive style to a dynasty in the 70s.

With GREAT PLAYERS on defense & a GREAT OFFENSE. The Bucs also won a Super Bowl with it.....with a MUCH BETTER offense than Dungy had in Tampa.

So do you think the Browns will have a great offense anytime soon? If so they may make the playoffs, but they are in a tough division.

Jauron never drafted GREAT players in Buffalo that is part of the reason he is the DC of the Browns.

YardRat
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I much more enjoy watching a team build and grow over treading water.