PDA

View Full Version : how many wins makes you content this year?

bf1
08-10-2011, 10:20 AM
How many wins do the Bills need for you to feel content? Either with the season itself or the direction the team is going in the future.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 10:25 AM
since i'm not thinking the playoffs are a reality, i kind of just want to see the team improve. i'm not worried about the w/l's this season. i want to see the defense get third down stops. I want to see them stop the run. I want the offense to be less volatile.

Obviously, if these things are addressed, the wins should come. but if we have typical buffalo games where we win the battles but lose the game, that could be ideal. because i am now thinking the team is a few depth players away and one superstar QB away from being a decent team again next year. and as a result, i'll take a crap record to get to the front of the line. but that's just me.

bf1
08-10-2011, 10:26 AM
since i'm not thinking the playoffs are a reality, i kind of just want to see the team improve. i'm not worried about the w/l's this season. i want to see the defense get third down stops. I want to see them stop the run. I want the offense to be less volatile.

Obviously, if these things are addressed, the wins should come. but if we have typical buffalo games where we win the battles but lose the game, that could be ideal. because i am now thinking the team is a few depth players away and one superstar QB away from being a decent team again next year. and as a result, i'll take a crap record to get to the front of the line. but that's just me.

How about a number?

psubills62
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
How many wins do the Bills need for you to feel content? Either with the season itself or the direction the team is going in the future.
To be honest, since we're rebuilding, it's not really the # of wins that matter to me. Here's what I want to see overall:

1) At least 1 upset win over a decent team - to me, that's one sign of a young, on-the-rise team.
2) Statistically near-average defense (ranked 16th-20th or so), both in YPG and PPG.
3) Statistically near-average offense.
4) Vastly improved run defense.
5) Hopefully, fewer injuries.

Now would those make me "content?" Not necessarily, because then they need to take the next step in 2012. Just getting to the point where we can do those 5 things doesn't mean squat, they will eventually need to translate to wins and a good record overall.

This year I'm expecting to see positive flashes, both from the units and from some of the players. Then I expect them to be contending for playoffs in 2012 if in general 1-5 come true.

Does that translate to a specific number of wins? I don't think so, but if I had to give a number I'd say I'd like to see 6-7 wins. But to be honest, there's no magic formula that would make me "content" this year outside of winning the Super Bowl. I want to see realistic progress, but progress alone doesn't make me content.

Ed
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm ready for this team to take a big step and I have high hopes so I'd like to see this team win at least 8 games. I'm not saying I expect them to win at least 8, but I'll be disappointed with 7 or less. Depending on what happens with injuries and how they play, I could still be encouraged with less then 8 wins, but I can't see myself feeling content with another sub .500 season.

BillsWin
08-10-2011, 10:38 AM

bf1
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I'll go with 8 too. 9 I'll be thrilled. 10+ amazed.

Mski
08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
3 or more

El Guapo
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
7 and I would be satisfied.
9 and I would be thrilled.

Romes
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't expect it but i wont be happy with anything less than the playoffs. So my number is 10. We've waited long enough.

Bulldog
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM

DraftBoy
08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
6 makes me content.

BillsWin
08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I see no reason that a team with as atrocious of a defense that we had last season, with significant upgrades like a healthy Merriman and Dareus, can't win four more games than a season before.

All about staying healthy. We were competitive in games we shouldn't have been. Time to turn close losses into wins.

8 is achievable. Anything less is failure (barring massive injuries).

DraftBoy
08-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I see no reason that a team with as atrocious of a defense that we had last season, with significant upgrades like a healthy Merriman and Dareus, can't win four more games than a season before.

All about staying healthy. We were competitive in games we shouldn't have been. Time to turn close losses into wins.

8 is achievable. Anything less is failure (barring massive injuries).
The issue is in the bolded. You are making bold assumptions about two players that we have no idea about effective they will be this year.

BillsWin
08-10-2011, 11:27 AM
The issue is in the bolded. You are making bold assumptions about two players that we have no idea about effective they will be this year.

True. I should change my statement to: "With the potential for significant upgrades with Merriman and Dareus."

Either way, in my opinion we are better off with what we had.

ChristopherWalken
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I expect a +2 game win increase this year to show serious improvement and that this talent and staff are on the road to success.

7 wins with a 3-3 split in the division. 1 of those wins need to happen against the Pats. We really need to show that we can compete and that this team is just a few minor tweeks away from being full on competitors in 2012.

justasportsfan
08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
5 games or less my doubts start to kick in
6 games - on the fence
7 headed the right direction

Dr. Lecter
08-10-2011, 11:33 AM
4 if they sweep Miami and New England.

better days
08-10-2011, 12:47 PM
4 if they sweep Miami and New England.

I would be content with a split with the Pats* & Jets & sweep of the Fins.

TMu11
08-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Just end this losing streak against NE

DrGraves
08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Whatever makes the playoffs. Non-playoffs = unsatisfied.

Jeff1220
08-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Whatever makes the playoffs. Non-playoffs = unsatisfied.

Same.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 04:18 PM
if i had to pick a number as bf1 wants, i'd say 4. but we'd have to be in the reset of the games. i just would love another fantastic draft that gets us LBs in the event that barnett is an injurybug and merriman never regains form.

and i want that legit QB who carrys the swagger. Then the rest of the picks should be pretty much depth filling and a FA pick up of an OT player will make it all good.

Extremebillsfan247
08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
How many wins do the Bills need for you to feel content? Either with the season itself or the direction the team is going in the future.If the Bills go 4-12 or worse, Gailey and Nix deserve to be fired is my feeling. They have to do better than 4-12 for me to be content. JMO

Mad Max
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
If the Bills go 4-12 or worse, Gailey and Nix deserve to be fired is my feeling. They have to do better than 4-12 for me to be content. JMO

Either 2 wins and the number one pick in the 2012 draft.

or

10 wins which should get us to the playoffs as a wildcard and prove that they finally turned the corner.

Anything in between is just mediocrity that serves no useful purpose after a decade of ~7 win seasons.

alohabillsfan
08-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Week 01 @ Kansas City Chiefs (WIN) Start off the season on the road with a win!
Week 02 Oakland Raiders (WIN) Gotta beat this team at home!
Week 03 New England Patriots (Uggh)We need a dominant running game to win.
Week 04 @ Cincinnati Bengals (WIN) This is a must win.
Week 05 Philadelphia Eagles (Uggh) Dont think we can yet.
Week 06 @ New York Giants (even) Giants have some holes so maybe.
Week 07 Bye We should win!
Week 08 Washington Redskins (WIN)
Week 09 New York Jets (Uggh) This is the game we will find a way to lose..
Week 10 @ Dallas Cowboys (Uggh) See above :o(
Week 11 @ Miami Dolphins (WIN) Miami positioning for Luck.
Week 12 @ New York Jets (Uggh) Jets mock us in their backyard.
Week 13 Tennessee Titans (WIN) Nuff said.
Week 14 @ San Diego Chargers (Uggh) We aint there yet.
Week 15 Miami Dolphins (WIN) Miami is almost on the clock!
Week 16 Denver Broncos (WIN)
Week 17 @ New England Patriots (ummm) Sure.

In summary to answer the question I guess 8 wins :o)

X-Era
08-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Week 01 @ Kansas City Chiefs (WIN) Start off the season on the road with a win!
Week 02 Oakland Raiders (WIN) Gotta beat this team at home!
Week 03 New England Patriots (Uggh)We need a dominant running game to win.
Week 04 @ Cincinnati Bengals (WIN) This is a must win.
Week 05 Philadelphia Eagles (Uggh) Dont think we can yet.
Week 06 @ New York Giants (even) Giants have some holes so maybe.
Week 07 Bye We should win!
Week 08 Washington Redskins (WIN)
Week 09 New York Jets (Uggh) This is the game we will find a way to lose..
Week 10 @ Dallas Cowboys (Uggh) See above :o(
Week 11 @ Miami Dolphins (WIN) Miami positioning for Luck.
Week 12 @ New York Jets (Uggh) Jets mock us in their backyard.
Week 13 Tennessee Titans (WIN) Nuff said.
Week 14 @ San Diego Chargers (Uggh) We aint there yet.
Week 15 Miami Dolphins (WIN) Miami is almost on the clock!
Week 16 Denver Broncos (WIN)
Week 17 @ New England Patriots (ummm) Sure.

In summary to answer the question I guess 8 wins :o)I'd agree with 8. I'm worried it may be way less and the goal should be to make the playoffs but I would consider it a big step forward if we could win 8.

ddaryl
08-11-2011, 07:27 AM
1 win (the Luck sweepstakes) or 7 wins or more but nothing between 1 and 7 would work

DraftBoy
08-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Thus far the average number of wins needed to be content is 7.1, the most common answer has been 8 (5 times), this included both numbers of 19 and 1.