PDA

View Full Version : The breaking point

Extremebillsfan247
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
It is widely known that everyone has a breaking point. It's the point in which you crack under extreme duress or adversity. From a fan standpoint, it would be the point in which you've had enough of what your favorite team is doing, and you simply turn against them. There are a few posters here who you might say have reached that point long ago. But, being that everyone has a different threshold, or tolerance level for such things as pain, or patience, there are still many of us here with what some refer to as the rose colored glasses. I myself have been guilty of that at times.

I am asking the following questions not to find out what drove a disgruntled fan to be disgruntled. It's more of an attempt at trying to gauge a tolerance level and where we are at as a fan base with this team.
My questions are:
What will it take for you to finally say" Enough is enough" ?
How much tolerance do you have left in the tank for this team to get it right?
What do you imagine was, is, or will be your breaking point?

Jeff1220
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
My perspective on this team changed completely after the season of 5-0 followed by collapse and a Jauron extension. It will take some wild, sustained success to bring me back to pre-2008 fandom. So I guess that was my breaking point.

madness
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm a Mets & a Bills fan. I have no breaking point.

BillsWin
08-10-2011, 04:28 PM
It is widely known that everyone has a breaking point. It's the point in which you crack under extreme duress or adversity. From a fan standpoint, it would be the point in which you've had enough of what your favorite team is doing, and you simply turn against them. There are a few posters here who you might say have reached that point long ago. But, being that everyone has a different threshold, or tolerance level for such things as pain, or patience, there are still many of us here with what some refer to as the rose colored glasses. I myself have been guilty of that at times.

I am asking the following questions not to find out what drove a disgruntled fan to be disgruntled. It's more of an attempt at trying to gauge a tolerance level and where we are at as a fan base with this team.
My questions are:

I don't know anymore to be honest with you. I guess my breaking point is when I can't get excited on Sundays anymore. As a lifelong fan with family bonds to the team, I don't see that happening. But my overall will to spend money on the team has diminished.

The only thing keeping me going strong has been my happiness with the last two drafts.

Besides that, my hope is dangling on a thread. I already live across the country, so it's difficult to see them all the time. It's hard to determine when I'll break or why I'll break but I'm assuming it is sooner rather than later.

wmoz11
08-10-2011, 04:28 PM
No breaking point. It would have happened by now. Even in the most dire seasons, I still get enjoyment watching that helmet on the field.

Even when we were 4-0 in 2008 I know it was too good to last. Expected collapse somewhere along the line. That had no effect on me.

YardRat
08-10-2011, 04:43 PM

When they move.
A ton. I have a lot of patience, and have found my peace regardless of what the team does.
Again, when they move.

PromoTheRobot
08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
The notion that you are reaching your "breaking point" during camp tells me you are just looking for an excuse to unload. Here's a tip. Stop paying attention to any Bills stuff until the season starts.

PTR

BillsFever21
08-10-2011, 08:51 PM

My questions are:

Fans that are realistic about their teams expectations doesn't mean that they have reached the breaking point and gave up on them or don't care anymore. They just see the team for what it is.

You don't need to have a false hope about your team and wear rose colored glasses to be a true fan.

Jeff1220
08-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Fans that are realistic about their teams expectations doesn't mean that they have reached the breaking point and gave up on them or don't care anymore. They just see the team for what it is.

You don't need to have a false hope about your team and wear rose colored glasses to be a true fan.

A true fan can have a breaking point too. It doesn't mean you stop being a fan. It just means the way you live out being a fan feels and looks different.

casdhf
08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Not until they move.

Can someone cue up Journey now?

OpIv37
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "breaking point," but my enthusiasm for the team started diminishing during the 2005 season, when we sucked ass after a promising end to 2004.

The real soul-crushing moment for me was the MNF loss to Dallas 4 years ago. I just can't get as excited for games anymore and I don't get nearly as mad after losses because it just seems so inevitable.

Breaking point as far as just giving up and not watching anymore? Well, that hasn't happened yet, so I'm guessing it won't happen. But the breaking point as far as enthusiasm is concerned was that epic choke job with the whole country watching.

Ginger Vitis
08-10-2011, 09:49 PM
My breaking point was the season opener in 2007 against the Broncos.. The season opener against the Pats in 2009 didn't really crush me..By that point I was use to Bills squandering games like that and a part of me was happy just to be competitive agaisnt the pats that night

christhebillsfan783
08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "breaking point," but my enthusiasm for the team started diminishing during the 2005 season, when we sucked ass after a promising end to 2004.

The real soul-crushing moment for me was the MNF loss to Dallas 4 years ago. I just can't get as excited for games anymore and I don't get nearly as mad after losses because it just seems so inevitable.

Breaking point as far as just giving up and not watching anymore? Well, that hasn't happened yet, so I'm guessing it won't happen. But the breaking point as far as enthusiasm is concerned was that epic choke job with the whole country watching.

I have to agree with you on that one, a little piece of me died that night. I still love my Bills but that game had a profound effect on me. That game taught me that no matter what, we are never going to win the big games and to just expect disappointment no matter the circumstance of a game. I wouldn't say I have a breaking point but it is usually pretty tough to handle the first regular season game of the season because I get so pumped up that it is finally football season again and then I get that horrible dose of reality that our team is awful again.

Here is to our beloved Bills finally turning everything around and proving us wrong! Let's Go Buffalo!

Mski
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
my "breaking point" wasnt as a fan, i always will be, it was as a financial supporter of the team. when they signed that deal with toronto, taking away a preseason game, and a regular season game, then sending out my season ticket renewal with a price increase. thats when i decided i wouldnt spend money on the team anymore, have gone to about 4 games since then because of free tix, after having been a season ticket holder for ten years prior.

Jan Reimers
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I am a lifelong Buffalo Bills', Buffalo Sabres' and Cleveland Indians' fan. My last true championships were in 1948 for the Indians (too young to remember), and '64-'65 (AFL) for the Bills.

I have patience.

ddaryl
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
when the name Buffalo no longer proceeds Bills

DraftBoy
08-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Not until they move.

Can someone cue up Journey now?

Per request;

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rfUYuIVbFg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THATHURMANATOR
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
My questions are:
What will it take for you to finally say" Enough is enough" ? -NEVER I am not a quitting fairweather *****.

How much tolerance do you have left in the tank for this team to get it right? Full Tank

What do you imagine was, is, or will be your breaking point? Them moving away from Buffalo, even to Toronto.

trapezeus
08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
if you are a bills message board in the middle of a work day, you haven't hit your breaking point. your expectations may be up and down. I know after the jauron ridiculousness with his extension that i gave up on ralph wilson ever wanting to win. and signing nix and gailey initially felt like a punch in the face when they promised much more than that. But he ran this team into the ground. it's going to take a while to get it back to a reputable level.

the losses don't stun me, even when we find ways to win. i kind of wear it as a badge of honor for sticking with this team. Usually this is the conversation i have with randoms.

"you're a bills fan?"
"Yes"
"why"
"I grew up there."
"They suck"
"I know. and they are mine and i hope they kill your team. i also won't be surprised if they lose in new and unimaginable ways. i don't smoke or do drugs. loving the bills is my vice. leave me alone."

Or something along those lines.

better days
08-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, I have hope, but it is not false hope. It is REAL hope that the players drafted will play as well as I HOPE. It is REAL hope that Merriman & Barnett stay healthy & play as well as they have in the past. It is REAL hope that after a year in this system every player on the team improves from last year.

Extremebillsfan247
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Some really good responses here. Thanks to all for your opinions. It is appreciated.

BidsJr
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Haven't you heard? This is our year! My tank is full. As a matter of fact this time of year it is overflowing.

I cannot wait for Fitzmania and him knocking that little punk Brady down to the second best QB in the East.

bf1
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Me it was back to back years of very little fa involvement. 2009, 2010 seasons.

better days
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Haven't you heard? This is our year! My tank is full. As a matter of fact this time of year it is overflowing.

I cannot wait for Fitzmania and him knocking that little punk Brady down to the second best QB in the East.

Well, I'm looking forward to Dareus & Merriman knocking Marcia on her ass.

BidsJr
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm looking forward to Dareus & Merriman knocking Marcia on her ass.

Better yet, Maybin! :giggity:

bf1
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Me it was back to back years of very little fa involvement. 2009, 2010 seasons.
With the "build through the draft " nonsense.

FlyingDutchman
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Think I just reached mine...seriously....