PDA

View Full Version : Chargers,Raiders Favorites To Relocate To LA - Not Bills

Night Train
08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Are-the-Chargers-in-the-pole-position-to-move-to?urn=nfl-wp4856

LA wants established NFL fans that are close by and will buy seats.

Once I read the Bills gained some needed details in revenue sharing last month, I knew they were safe for a while, regardless of Ralphs eventual passing. Also makes the team attractive to local buyers, post Ralph. The estate tax is " negotiable ", as Sen. Schumer said to me when I met him in Rochester.

Relatives I have near Toronto laugh when I mention a Toronto move. They don't see it at all and forsee a 2nd hockey team in Toronto or nearby Hamilton far more likely. They wonder if the yearly games in Toronto will even continue. The games have bombed at the gate.

Looks like the Bills will continue to play in Orchard Park for some time.

We now return to trying to turn this franchise around, instead of calling Mayflower for moving quotes.

Ed
08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
They had an article about this earlier on espn.com, but I can't find it now. They talked about all seven teams(including the Bills) being considered in great detail.

I think the Rams are also a strong candidate with the Chargers to move there. The Rams already have ties to L.A. and it sounds like they're never going to be able to get a decent stadium in St. Louis. It would be ideal for the NFL to have one AFC team and one NFC team each move to L.A. and since the Chargers and Rams both play in the West and have major stadium isssues, they would be the best candidates. Goodell is apparently trying to get the Raiders to go in on a new stadium deal that would be shared with the 49ers in the Bay area.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
And here I got told that realignment would not matter when it comes to a team relocating. And look at who the new strongest candidates are to move to LA? Teams that would not make realignment even necessary.

Go figure.

BertSquirtgum
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
schefter said bills, jacksonville, and st. louis are very unlikely to happen last night on espn. san diego and oakland are most likely.

trapezeus
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
what is so irritating is that we as fans aren't clamouring for stadiums. We don't care. and companies who are paying this money for big boxes and having hired anyone in the last 3 years should be raked through the mud for spending company money on boxes that typically are perks for the highest members of the company. the very people who could afford nice season tickets or a box themselves.

We don't want them, we know what they cost, we know we don't get revenue out of it, yet these deals are done time and time again. i realize this deal in particular isn't state financed, but i'm sure they are getting some other form of back door deal so that they can turn this into a profit.

Again, the entitlements such a social security and medical expenses are the worst thing this country can do, and giving money away to groups who already have it is part of the american dream.

And aside from the politics, i think with the technology of directv's season ticket, the teams we followed as a kid is the team we are with now. And we raise our kids to follow our favorite teams even if we aren't in the same town.

To have 2 teams fail in LA already and to insist they get another one at the loss of an area that has history and a fanbase seems absolutely foolhardy.

better days
08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Are-the-Chargers-in-the-pole-position-to-move-to?urn=nfl-wp4856

LA wants established NFL fans that are close by and will buy seats.

Once I read the Bills gained some needed details in revenue sharing last month, I knew they were safe for a while, regardless of Ralphs eventual passing. Also makes the team attractive to local buyers, post Ralph. The estate tax is " negotiable ", as Sen. Schumer said to me when I met him in Rochester.

Relatives I have near Toronto laugh when I mention a Toronto move. They don't see it at all and forsee a 2nd hockey team in Toronto or nearby Hamilton far more likely. They wonder if the yearly games in Toronto will even continue. The games have bombed at the gate.

Looks like the Bills will continue to play in Orchard Park for some time.

We now return to trying to turn this franchise around, instead of calling Mayflower for moving quotes.

You hear less & less talk about the Bills moving to LA. Rich Eison said on NFL Network not long ago that a Stadium would be in place in LA by 2015 with the Chargers, Raiders, Vikings & Rams as possible tenants........no mention of the Bills at all.

YardRat
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
My even money is on the Chargers, with Minnesota being the dark horse.

Ed
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
And here I got told that realignment would not matter when it comes to a team relocating. And look at who the new strongest candidates are to move to LA? Teams that would not make realignment even necessary.

Go figure.
I think it would be ideal to not have a geographical impact, but realignment isn't going to be a deal breaker.

If the Vikings really wanted to move and had the best package that made economic sense, no one is going to stand in the way because of realignment.

Ed
08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
You hear less & less talk about the Bills moving to LA. Rich Eison said on NFL Network not long ago that a Stadium would be in place in LA by 2015 with the Chargers, Raiders, Vikings & Rams as possible tenants........no mention of the Bills at all.
The only reason the Bills are ever even included in this discussion is because of Ralphs age. Everyone knows that as long as he is still around, the Bills aren't going anywhere. We have an old owner, an old stadium, and a small market so we always seem like a logical choice for relocation, but nobody really wants to see the Bills move. And as long as Ralph is around, it's not an issue.

mikemac2001
08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Because the bills arnt going

better days
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
The only reason the Bills are ever even included in this discussion is because of Ralphs age. Everyone knows that as long as he is still around, the Bills aren't going anywhere. We have an old owner, an old stadium, and a small market so we always seem like a logical choice for relocation, but nobody really wants to see the Bills move. And as long as Ralph is around, it's not an issue.

Agreed, but while the Ralph is old, it has been maintained over the years & probably offers a better game day experience for real fans that go to WATCH a game & not for frivolous amenities that many newer stadiums have.

The Ralph may not have the amenities, but it does have better sight lines than many newer stadiums.

sdbillsfan2
08-10-2011, 06:22 PM
When the Raiders moved to LA the first time, they brought a team that had success. Those teams did what the LA Rams weren't .....winning.
The community got Raider fever ,and pushed the Rams to the side . The Rams (imo) couldn't compete and saw the chance to leave and did. The Raider fans got even larger with the Rams defection to St Louis.
Even when Al Davis moved back to Oakland (for the money), the Raiders still seemed to hold on to a strong fan base in LA. I see more raider shirts, jackets and flags in So. Ca then any others. The Raiders and the Charger are like , the Bills and Miami. The fans feel a natural disliking for each other. My money says the threat to move the Chargers to LA is a ploy, to force a new stadium here in San Diego.
The most logical thing for a team in LA would be go strong after the Raiders or some how add a new franchise to the league. Remember the fans out here aren't as loyal a Bills fans.
I saw no tears shed when the Rams left . And I don't hear any excitement for anyone outside of San Diego ,for any team but the Raiders.
ME ....... I'll stick around for another 50+ years and remain a Bills fan.
I have to laugh when I read that the "Ralph" is an old stadium. You should have gone to the War Memorial stadium to experience old. Some really bad seats with support beams blocking your view.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-10-2011, 06:47 PM
The estate tax is " negotiable ", as Sen. Schumer said to me when I met him in Rochester. That quote sends a chill up my spine. Estate taxes are set in law, and I don't care whether or not you're a senator, those laws have to be upheld.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
But back to the topic at hand...

...the only reason the Bills aren't being considered for LA, other than the aforementioned favoring of teams already in the state, is because of Toronto. If this team ever moves, it'll be because Toronto interests want to buy it and relocate it there. The interest in the Argos is already the lowest in the CFL-- they've had their taste of NFL football and they want some of their own. The only interests that have spoken up about wanting to buy this team in particular have been the ones that want to move it to Toronto and the ones that want to keep it here in Buffalo. LA would be a last resort.

Tbuffalobills
08-10-2011, 10:38 PM
As a San Diego Charger/Buffalo Bills Fan if they both moved to LA my life would suck! I hope neither team moves!

Lets move the stupid Raiders back to LA

better days
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
But back to the topic at hand...

...the only reason the Bills aren't being considered for LA, other than the aforementioned favoring of teams already in the state, is because of Toronto. If this team ever moves, it'll be because Toronto interests want to buy it and relocate it there. The interest in the Argos is already the lowest in the CFL-- they've had their taste of NFL football and they want some of their own. The only interests that have spoken up about wanting to buy this team in particular have been the ones that want to move it to Toronto and the ones that want to keep it here in Buffalo. LA would be a last resort.

Toronto is part of the BUFFALO market. The NFL can not put another NFL team in Toronto without the Bills approval, therefore whoever buys the Bills also buys the Toronto market. The Bills do not have to move there but will most likely continue to play a couple games a year there unless a new stadium is built that is more accessable from Rochester & Toronto than the Ralph.

jcdavey
08-10-2011, 11:38 PM
i'd rather see my chargers go to buffalo than LA

LA specializes in LOSING football teams (losing the rams and raiders already and the chargers in 1960)

if my chargers have to leave san diego, at least go to a city with 4 seasons, for christ's sake

Mr. Pink
08-11-2011, 05:21 AM
The Chargers will be playing in LA come next season. Book it. And remember you heard it from me first. This will likely be announced by this coming June.

There are a few reasons for this, the major one being the Chargers want a new stadium and can't get it even on the ballot. LA has approved a new stadium, which will be built free of charge to whoever moves there.

SD to LA makes perfect sense. They'll either be playing at the Rose Bowl or the Mausoleum for a couple seasons while the downtown stadium is being built.

jcdavey
08-11-2011, 06:52 AM
The Chargers will be playing in LA come next season. Book it. And remember you heard it from me first. This will likely be announced by this coming June.

There are a few reasons for this, the major one being the Chargers want a new stadium and can't get it even on the ballot. LA has approved a new stadium, which will be built free of charge to whoever moves there.

SD to LA makes perfect sense. They'll either be playing at the Rose Bowl or the Mausoleum for a couple seasons while the downtown stadium is being built.
hate to break it to you, but i've heard this said about a million times before you did lol

sdbillsfan2
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM

oh well !!!!! Glad I didn't book on it !

LOS ANGELES -- It would take a miracle of biblical proportions for the San Diego Chargers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/sd/san-diego-chargers) to move to Los Angeles next year, in the eyes of the man in charge of finding the team a new stadium.
Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said the team would not even consider a move to a temporary location if the city wasn't breaking ground on a new permanent stadium. And he believes Farmers Field, the proposed $1.2 billion football stadium in downtown Los Angeles, won't be close to that point by next year.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/6877568/miracle-la-move-happens

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2011, 05:58 PM
My money on the most likely team to end up in LA is the Raiders and has been since talk of a team move to LA began. Chargers won't move. That corner of the NFL market is theirs. Raiders right now are constantly competing with the 49ers for fans. Al Davis would have never moved that team from LA if offered a new stadium while it was the Raiders home the first time. Raiders will be on the move in my opinion.

Coach Sal
08-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Go figure.

Not that I need to get into this again, but since you brought it up.....

1) This is a logical fallacy. Just because these are the two teams that may move doesn't mean it's due to easier realignment. Partly due to the fact that these teams already have fan bases in that area and would be easier to market? Sure. But that's a separate argument. It has much more to do with the most cost-effective and efficient transition. It even says that in the article. Did you not read it?

2) Your position is that the REASON a team may or may not relocate will be due to (at least a big part due to) realignment. That, again, is not true...and, once again, it has never been the case when it comes to this stuff in the league. It may make it easier to do so, and the NFL may realign when it finally happens, I agree.....BUT what you are suggesting is that the league is saying, "we should move team X instead of team Y because it is then easier to realign." No way is that the case.

If you can show me where this has been the precedent in the current way the league operates, since the merger basically, I'll look at it and maybe accept it. But you can't. In fact, it's been the opposite. When most teams have moved, they stayed exactly where they were, even if they were not geographically aligned with that division anymore.

Coach Sal
08-19-2011, 06:17 PM

I agree this may happen, even though the article linked after that suggests otherwise.

Tbuffalobills
08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Living in San Diego-.....Chargers are not moving...The city here moves slow, but the Mayor Jerry Sanders wants his legacy to be keeping the Chargers.

I heard there were 15,,000 at the first Raiders preseason game, Chargers Sold out there first game.

Case closed.

THATHURMANATOR
08-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Chargers are probably moving.

better days
08-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Chargers are probably moving.

LA is talking about wanting TWO teams. I would not be surprised to see both the Chargers & Raiders move there but not at the expense of giving away part of the team to the owner of the new stadium.

sdbillsfan2
08-20-2011, 09:55 AM
LA is talking about wanting TWO teams. I would not be surprised to see both the Chargers & Raiders move there but not at the expense of giving away part of the team to the owner of the new stadium.

Two teams ? Really ? And you know that ? HOW! I live in So. Cal and have never heard that... maybe a link?

Johnny Bugmenot
08-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Two teams ? Really ? And you know that ? HOW! I live in So. Cal and have never heard that... maybe a link?
It's nothing new, really. There's been some silly chatter the past few years insinuating that it'd be better to land two teams for a new LA stadium. It's just that, silly talk. Two teams is exactly the problem that resulted in LA having no teams for the past 15 years. LA can support one team, and that's it-- history shows it. The other will be mired in obscurity, just as the Rams were when the Raiders arrived.

And it certainly won't be two other California teams at that. Al Davis has been there, done that. If, by some dumb method of calculation, LA does get two teams, it'd likely be a California team and a team from somewhere else in the country.