• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The Bills- Chasing their tails

A guy called into WGR and went on a rant about how the Bills never keep the guys that are actually good. CB was the main point. We didn't want to pay Winfield so we draft Clements, who we didn't want to pay so we draft McKelvin.

He capped his rant by saying they chase their tails.

That may be the simplest way to describe the frustration I feel at times toward this team.

They don't ever seem to get better as far as overall talent. They simply try to fight fires that they started when they didn't keep the good players.

Now, I actually like much of what they have done in FA this year because it appears to be not be chasing their tails. Or is It?

I mean we drafted Aaron Williams because we may not want to pay Florence what he may bring. But, he stayed so now we are theoretically stronger this year at CB. That coudl ahve gone the other way but fortunately it didn't and we now are significantly better, at least as far as depth, at CB.

They drafted Sheppard because they may not be able to resign Poz. They lost Poz but replaced him with Barnett. I'm OK with this but to be honest I wanted an ILB from FA whether we resigned Poz or not. It was a situation where we needed to add to Poz and not just from a rookie. Davis is good but he is a backup. Adding Barnett provided a spot for Shepp to replace Davis. And that may work. But if Shepp doesn't earn the job, Davis's spot has not been upgraded and remains inadequate to me. And If Shepp doesn't seize a starting role, we may need to be looking at a ILB in the draft next year yet again and that means potentially chasing your tail.

And the other place where it may play out going into next years draft is that we may not be able to draft a QB because we have bigger needs like OT. Provided they resign Fitz. We traded Peters and then were forced to chase our tail to replace him. We still haven't filled his shoes and still have a hole at RT as well. But going into the draft, we may have not resigned Fitz or Bell. And then we go into the draft with a need to find insurance to their potential losses. If either leaves, we have a clear need from the draft, if we draft someone we just chased our tails yet again.

The problem is, we never move forward in FA making moves where we are significantly improving a part of the team when we don't have significant holes in other places. We chase our tails replacing players we lost or didn't want to pay by spending draft picks to replace them or signing players to replace them. We chase our tails trying to fill holes we made by not resigning a player or not addressing it in FA.

Yes, loss is to be expected. But if you ever plan to get significantly better as far as overall talent, you must adequately replace what you lost AND add significant upgrades in the same season. The Pats resigned Matt Light, resigned Logan Mankins, traded for Ocho, traded for Haynesworth, and signed Andre Carter... all while being much closer to the cap than us. So they didn't chase their tails trying to fill losses, they kept the players they needed to keep and added players to at a minimum upgrade their depth. This is how you get better year after year, this is how you keep what is good and still get better.

If you don't, your chasing your tail... And our history in the past decade shows this.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-10-2011, 05:54 PM.

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: The Bills- Chasing their tails

Didn't you say the Bills should trade Evans? Chasing tail.....

Comment

• baalworship
      • May 2003

You are operating under the assumption that the Bills have had the same management for the last decade. Donahoe, Mularkey, Gregg Williams, Marv Levy, Jauron, Brandon have morphed into Gailey and Nix. If that is the premise there is no argument for you. We suck and always will suck.

I have no idea if Nix and Gailey can right the ship but they do feel more competent and I am willing to give them a chance.

This year will show a lot.

Nix has to have Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Dareus, Williams, etc playing well. If they are I will be happy.

Gailey has to show he can coach a team, not just offense.

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days
        Didn't you say the Bills should trade Evans? Chasing tail.....
        I said they should only trade him if they get a starting OT and feel a) Stevie can be a #1 and b) they have a player who can step up into the #2 role.

Trading Evans for a draft pick is chasing their tail. Moving a player from a position of strength where you can handle the loss, to add a starter to a position that's shaky is actually getting better as far as overall talent.

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

Dude. Think about running back. Travis Henry -> Willis McGahee -> Marshawn Lynch -> CJ Spiller -> how much you want a bet we cut Johnny White one of these next two years and draft a running back high?

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by baalworship
            You are operating under the assumption that the Bills have had the same management for the last decade. Donahoe, Mularkey, Gregg Williams, Marv Levy, Jauron, Brandon have morphed into Gailey and Nix. If that is the premise there is no argument for you. We suck and always will suck.

I have no idea if Nix and Gailey can right the ship but they do feel more competent and I am willing to give them a chance.

This year will show a lot.

Nix has to have Spiller, Troup, Carrington, Moats, Dareus, Williams, etc playing well. If they are I will be happy.

Gailey has to show he can coach a team, not just offense.
            Donahoe made stupid contracts but was also the last guy to make a significant impact on the teams overall talent. The last time we sniffed the playoffs was in Bledsoe's first year with us. It could be that the overall talent improvement made the difference to put us a stones throw from the playoffs. We then lost all those players and began chasing our tail again.

In FA, we should have spent another 10-15 mill on talent this year. We shoudl have landed a starting caliber OT maybe OG and a pass rusher. I don't need stars, I needed guy who can contribute and start either due to lack of development from a rook or in case of injury. I'm talking about guys who land contracts from 4-6 or even 7 mill per.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
              Dude. Think about running back. Travis Henry -> Willis McGahee -> Marshawn Lynch -> CJ Spiller -> how much you want a bet we cut Johnny White one of these next two years and draft a running back high?
              RB's are a dime a dozen but it's yet another spot where we simply cycle through guys and spend 1st or 2nd round picks. It's another situation of chasing your tail.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I mean we drafted Aaron Williams because we may not want to pay Florence what he may bring.

They drafted Sheppard because they may not be able to resign Poz.
                Those are pretty big assumptions.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                  Those are pretty big assumptions.
                  Why?

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                    Why?
                    You are assuming that the team's motive was to replace players that they were planning on possibly losing, and not drafting simply to upgrade talent.

Our LBers sucked, and the POS was at the top of the list.
                    Our secondary was, and probably still is, over rated.

We needed upgrades in talent at both positions, regardless of whether or not either one of those players stayed or moved on.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• justabillsfan
                      • Jul 2011

I want to keep lee but he hasn't been good in three years, I think that can change but he's way to one demesional

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                        You are assuming that the team's motive was to replace players that they were planning on possibly losing, and not drafting simply to upgrade talent.

Our LBers sucked, and the POS was at the top of the list.
                        Our secondary was, and probably still is, over rated.

We needed upgrades in talent at both positions, regardless of whether or not either one of those players stayed or moved on.
                        So in your mind we added Shepp and Williams to fill needs but still didn't fill the other needs or upgrade other spots... that's chasing your tail.

Comment

• Bangarang
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by X-Era
                          So in your mind we added Shepp and Williams to fill needs but still didn't fill the other needs or upgrade other spots... that's chasing your tail.
                          I can't believe Nix wasn't able to find a franchise LT, RT, QB, add LB depth, CB depth and find a pass catching/blocking TE in our last draft. Such a bafoon.

Are you seriously going to turn into one of those fans? You're going to rag on Nix for something that other regimes did? Give me a break.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bangarang
                            I can't believe Nix wasn't able to find a franchise LT, RT, QB, add LB depth, CB depth and find a pass catching/blocking TE in our last draft. Such a bafoon.

Are you seriously going to turn into one of those fans? You're going to rag on Nix for something that other regimes did? Give me a break.
                            I think you missed my point.

I'm wondering why we should still be at 20+ mill under the cap with shaky starters at RG, RT, no o-line depth, etc...

If they had or plan to spend another 10-15 mill and plan to find a starting quality RT, maybe RG, and a pass rusher I'm good.

If not, we go into next years draft already, before any new losses, with several clear needs.

Comment

• Mad Max
                              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                              • Mar 2003

If you think about it, most teams, not just the Bills chase their tails most of the time.

You know how to get off the hamster wheel?

Hire a coach that knows what he's doing and draft/ Acquire Franchise players at 3-4 key positions then fill in the gaps around those difference makers. Simple in concept but obviously difficult in execution for most teams.

When did the Patriots fortunes change? After Belichunks and Marcia.

Giants? Coughlin and Eli.

NAwleans? Payton and Brees.

Iggles? Reid and Mcnabb.

Colts? Dungy and Manning.

Stillers? Chins/Tomlin and Roth

Packers? Mccarthy and Rodgers.

We've had voids at Coaching and no true difference makers since the Super Bowl years...hence our tail chasing.

We need to find some draft magic, and the tail chasing will stop quick. Maybe we already have one or two of those Franchise players on roster? Dareus? Spiller?

Comment

Working...
                              X