PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Bills open to trading Evans, deal could be done in next 48 hours

hemi13
08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
ESPN just reported that Lee Evans will be traded in the next 48 hours !
:down:

BillsWin
08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Per Schefter on Monday Night Countdown. Said the Bills are open to trading Evans and that a deal could be done in the next 48 hours.

:awm:

BillsWin
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM

"Could". Not a definite.

FlyingDutchman
08-11-2011, 06:21 PM
saw that...not a fan of it...guess ill eat my words that this whole rumor was full of crap. I was wrong

X-Era
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Already posted it... :D

DraftBoy
08-11-2011, 06:23 PM
:whistle:

X-Era
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Merged for your viewing pleasure.

X-Era
Player, not pick(s)... and depending on who it is, I might be alright with it.

Jaybird
hope we get a starting caliber player out of it

Ickybaluky
It does sound like it is about to happen.

The fact the Bills are willing to do this makes me think they really like some of their other receivers. Donald Jones in particular is a guy with pretty good size and speed (4.46 at the combine), and has had a time to adjust to the NFL game after coming out of Youngstown State. My guess is the development of a guy like Jones has made them comfortable dumping Evans, who probably isn't part of the long-term plan.

T-Long
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm ok with the move, but will really judge it by the return.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
It does sound like it is about to happen.

The fact the Bills are willing to do this makes me think they really like some of their other receivers. Donald Jones in particular is a guy with pretty good size and speed (4.46 at the combine), and has had a time to adjust to the NFL game after coming out of Youngstown State. My guess is the development of a guy like Jones has made them comfortable dumping Evans, who probably isn't part of the long-term plan.I don't mind it if you go hard to lock up Stevie long term. I don't doubt one of their young guys can become a solid #2. But there may be growing pains.

But, if this move gets made, Stevie is your #1 and will want to be paid like it... the Bills better be ready to shell out some money and you better get it done before next years FA.

mikemac2001
08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Kinda bummed

Class act player and a good bill, ill still root for him.

BillsWin
08-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Starter or a third and some change. Evans can still be a really good player in this league especially on the right team.

YardRat
08-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I'd rather not see him go.

Evans will be gone. Parrish will get hurt. Easley has yet to see the field.

That'll leave Johnson, and pretty much a bunch of nobodies.

But, as a couple of others have said, if we get something decent in return I could be OK with it.

tampabay25690
08-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Well the writing is on the wall...
I feel for LEE has been a class act through the growing pains in Buffalo...
If this guy was drafted to a team with a QB he would put up huge numbers every year.....
If we keep Lee then 1 of are young WR'S would be cut anyway.....
So this may be the time to move on anyway.....

FlyingDutchman
08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
what could we expect to get if something happens?...Im assuming a draft pick but what round?...His stats (especially last year) dont reflect the player that he is...I mean if its for something stupid like a 4th round pick than whats the point in trading him...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
i really dont care. man that sucks that i just dont care

YardRat
08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Player, not pick(s)... and depending on who it is, I might be alright with it.

Is that your wish, or what others are speculating?

X-Era
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Is that your wish, or what others are speculating?Wish.

YardRat
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Wish.

Shoot.

I was starting to get excited that we might actually get something in return.

wmoz11
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
My two favorite Bills players gone in one offseason. Oh well. It really would defy logic to pay his bonus and then trade him for a pick; unless it leverages us into a better round.

Still, a draft pick does nothing for us until April.

I would like to see him across from Fitzgerald, though, as a fan.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
My two favorite Bills players gone in one offseason. Oh well. It really would defy logic to pay his bonus and then trade him for a pick; unless it leverages us into a better round.

Still, a draft pick does nothing for us until April.

I would like to see him across from Fitzgerald, though, as a fan.For him it would be great and I'd like to see any good player who is a decent person have success... He deserves it.

elltrain22
08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Well the writing is on the wall...
I feel for LEE has been a class act through the growing pains in Buffalo...
If this guy was drafted to a team with a QB he would put up huge numbers every year.....
If we keep Lee then 1 of are young WR'S would be cut anyway.....
So this may be the time to move on anyway.....

Great post, as usual. Totally agree about Evans being a class act, and it would be sad to see him dealt, but if we can get a good player in return, I would be open to the move. If we get jack or draft picks, i'm gonna be pissed.

Philagape
08-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I was open to it, but this soon? I would have liked to see how the young guys develop first.
In any case, I don't think this will make a huge difference. Gailey's spread leaves guys open frequently, and Fitz has the brain to find them. It needs good routes more than deep speed.

mrbojanglezs
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
this trade is really going to be judged on the return... this is def not a "cut your loses" type of trade, I want decent return that will make this team better

X-Era
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
From Tim Graham:

"Idea behind Bills considering a Lee Evans trade simple: He's not putting them in playoffs. Acquire future asset for player who won't re-sign"

Sounds a lot like pick(s)

http://twitter.com/#!/ByTimGraham/status/101806139234205696

psubills62
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
The best time to trade Evans would be mid-season, when we've had ample time to build up his stats and create a good market for him. However, that won't help solve our current issue of having a large number of young WR's we'd like to keep on the roster.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
The best time to trade Evans would be mid-season, when we've had ample time to build up his stats and create a good market for him. However, that won't help solve our current issue of having a large number of young WR's we'd like to keep on the roster.Gimme a player.

BertSquirtgum
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
**** that. that would be so ****ing stupid. do not trade lee. there is no reason to trade him this year unless they get a starting caliber player.

The King
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Wait until you see tomorrow's cartoon now

YardRat
08-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Wait until you see tomorrow's cartoon now

Can't wait.

The King
08-11-2011, 07:20 PM
It's up now!

Billz_fan
08-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Won't be happy to see Lee go. We've had so few NFL players on the roster the last several years. I would rather see a player in return. To me picks just indicate cashing in the season already and yeah I kinda knew we weren't going anywhere but..........I gotta be able to dream a little :D

Banks2Pierce
08-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Could've sworn he was under contract for 2 more years.

tampabay25690
08-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Could've sworn he was under contract for 2 more years.

He is..

baalworship
08-11-2011, 08:21 PM
It sucks if he leaves as Evans is one of the few Bills draft picks who was any good. I think the Bills are thinking that they they are loaded at WR and Evans is the oldest/most expensive.

Also our offensive line can't hold up in pass protection long enough for Evans to run his go route.

2011 Let The Tanking begin!

X-Era
08-11-2011, 08:34 PM
It sucks if he leaves as Evans is one of the few Bills draft picks who was any good. I think the Bills are thinking that they they are loaded at WR and Evans is the oldest/most expensive.

Also our offensive line can't hold up in pass protection long enough for Evans to run his go route.

2011 Let The Tanking begin!And if Nelson/Davis/Easley doesn't seize the #2 job and prove he is solid by years end, you can add WR to the need list going into the next draft.

And when you have a bunch of needs, you can't afford to trade picks to move up for a guy like Luck.

Bangarang
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by what we get for Evans. I'm thinking 5th round pick. 4th round pick at best.

wmoz11
08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by what we get for Evans. I'm thinking 5th round pick. 4th round pick at best.

I think that's what most people are expecting, which is why moving him for a pick seems almost worthless.

3rd or bust, IMO. Even then I'm not going to be thrilled about it.

cookie G
08-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Yep. And our first round pick next year will be a "playmaking WR". The 4th rounder we get for Evans will be used on a 2nd team DB with return skills.

And people will justify it,

Mike
08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Whats the offer and who is trying to trade for him?

acehole
08-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Cant be acehole...your stupid.....

"Wow"

"you are out of touch"

"Never happen"

"Wow some people are really out of touch with reality I was speechless when I saw this dumb ass thread"

I told you people this team would do this...

Their MO.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Cant be acehole...your stupid.....

"Wow"

"you are out of touch"

"Never happen"

"Wow some people are really out of touch with reality I was speechless when I saw this dumb ass thread"

I told you people this team would do this...

Their MO.Personally, I thought about the Bills trading Lee Evans this year too. But, I only thought about it when I thought about how we might make a weakness better (player).

Philagape
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
With a fourth-round pick they can draft a speed receiver who can stretch defenses just like Evans does.

acehole
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Personally, I thought about the Bills trading Lee Evans this year too. But, I only thought about it when I thought about how we might make a weakness better (player).

Hurkey nuts wrote:

"so angry. you didn't predict anything because lee evans will not be traded. stop making yourself look like a buffoon."

Syderick
08-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Id rather they didn't trade Lee Evans but what can you do.

Ebenezer
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I'll wait to see if it happens and what they get in return...and then comment.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Rumor is that the Panthers have jumped in. The Bills want a 2nd... the Panthers don't have a 3rd. He was apparently close to being traded to Arizona and the speculation was for a 3rd.

All from Twitter.

acehole
08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I'll wait to see if it happens and what they get in return...and then comment.

Comment now comment now

Michael82
08-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I think that's what most people are expecting, which is why moving him for a pick seems almost worthless.

3rd or bust, IMO. Even then I'm not going to be thrilled about it.
I completely agree.

Jaybird
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Rumor is that the Panthers have jumped in. The Bills want a 2nd... the Panthers don't have a 3rd. He was apparently close to being traded to Arizona and the speculation was for a 3rd.

All from Twitter.

Gettis looks to be done for the season... they now need another WR

X-Era
08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
What is Jeff Otah worth if we were to trade a pick for him? Now what is Jordan Gross worth?

THRILLHO
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I shuddered when I read "very open to trading Lee Evans." Sometimes that means "will take anything for Lee Evans."

guy
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
its fine. he's always been one of my favs but i think its time. . there are to many good young guys lined up behind him. its not going to make or break this team folks. lee has always been one dimensional.. and exciting. i dont know if anyone heard the comment from gailey early in camp about lee needing to run better underneath routes. i found that comment very interesting for a guy being in the league that long.

jpdex12
08-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Don't be surprised if it's for a pick or picks...I bet Buffalo is bolstering picks to prepare for a run at Andrew Luck and they need all the picks they can get to offer someone and move up...

sqad5
08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I hate this feeling

X-Era
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Don't be surprised if it's for a pick or picks...I bet Buffalo is bolstering picks to prepare for a run at Andrew Luck and they need all the picks they can get to offer someone and move up...That is literally the only way I would be good with trading him for a pick or picks. And I have zero belief that Nix would ever make that move.

BertSquirtgum
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
i hate acehole because he might end up being right. i will be pissed if they trade for a pick/picks but if they get a 2nd it will make me less pissed. i really wish they would get a quality starter for lee. i also have two lee evans jerseys that may soon be worthless. this sucks, he is my favorite player.

psubills62
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I'd much rather have a Carolina or Arizona draft pick than one of Baltimore's.

scartown
08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
If it's for a two, you don't even think about it.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
If it's for a two, you don't even think about it.Because the 2010 version of Torell Troup is something we can't afford to miss out on?

justabillsfan
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
But the 2011 will, were not going to a superbowl this year so get value. Donald jones will put up better numbers anyways

X-Era
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
But the 2011 will, were not going to a superbowl this year so get value. Donald jones will put up better numbers anywaysNo. We are suppose to play to win right? Why do you give up a starter and get nothing for this years team in return? That's playing to lose.

BUFF Bills
08-11-2011, 10:01 PM

All from Twitter.

If Lee were to be traded at all... Charlotte is the only place I would be happy about

delectrolux
08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
No. We are suppose to play to win right? Why do you give up a starter and get nothing for this years team in return? That's playing to lose.

Because you've got another guy who can start right in his place. It's like a free pick. That's realistically evaluating your talent and dealing from a position of power. I'd do it for a third, and possibly even a fourth. Wouldn't hurt to get a back up OT out of the deal too, but I won't get greedy.

This isn't the same as picking Spiller and then trading Lynch. There are already a surplus of receivers on this team, and I for one think one of them can easily fill Lee's reduced role.

kingJofNYC
08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
A 2nd round pick for Lee is great value. He's 30 and on the backside of his career, we aren't a playoff team this year. Doubt it's for a 2nd though.

X-Era
08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Because you've got another guy who can start right in his place. It's like a free pick. That's realistically evaluating your talent and dealing from a position of power. I'd do it for a third, and possibly even a fourth. Wouldn't hurt to get a back up OT out of the deal too, but I won't get greedy.

This isn't the same as picking Spiller and then trading Lynch. There are already a surplus of receivers on this team, and I for one think one of them can easily fill Lee's reduced role.

a) On the current roster, no WR outside of Stevie is as good as Evans

b) You should be greedy... this is a 4 and 12 team

better days
08-11-2011, 10:15 PM

WHY would the Bills trade him for NOTHING???????????????????????

delectrolux
08-11-2011, 10:22 PM
a) On the current roster, no WR outside of Stevie is as good as Evans

b) You should be greedy... this is a 4 and 12 team

A) I'm sure there's another guy on this team that can run fast, catch the ball 37 times and score 4 touchdowns. I really like Lee Evans, but that is not good production. And how will we know if one of these receivers is that good if he can't get on the field while Lee's not getting thrown the ball?

B) that's precisely why I'm not greedy at this point. Lee wasn't putting us over the hump. We got four wins WITH Lee, we can get four without him and we get a pick or two out of the deal.

BertSquirtgum
08-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Exactly. for the Bills to accept a 4th round pick is pure stupidy in my opinion. they might as well keep him if that's all anyone is willing to offer.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Jeff Otah or bust!

Turf
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
So we're giving up in the pre season. Stupid ****ing move.

Romes
08-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't believe this rumor.

I think it comes from FO saying anyone is trade-able and some other teams calling to try and gauge what it would take to get Evans. I don't imagine the Bills are actively shopping him around.

They probably got an enticing offer or two and told a team or two they'll get back to them in 48 hours.

psubills62
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Baltimore's rookie receivers were reportedly unimpressive (particularly Torrey Smith, the speedy one similar to Evans) tonight. May give us some leverage in talks about Evans.

Demon
08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
So we're giving up in the pre season. Stupid ****ing move.

Lee Evans deserves to be on a winner and by the time we can even DREAM about playoffs, it will be the year he leaves in free agency. So why not stack up on some picks while he still has some value? It's not giving up on the season, it's being realistic about our chances and being realistic about his age, which is 30, and he is not getting any younger.

I love Evans, hope he goes to a winner and hope he has success that we all hoped we'd have with him here. But, i won't lose sleep over it and the rebuilding continues in good-ole Buffalo...

X-Era
08-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Lee Evans deserves to be on a winner and by the time we can even DREAM about playoffs, it will be the year he leaves in free agency. So why not stack up on some picks while he still has some value? It's not giving up on the season, it's being realistic about our chances and being realistic about his age, which is 30, and he is not getting any younger.

I love Evans, hope he goes to a winner and hope he has success that we all hoped we'd have with him here. But, i won't lose sleep over it and the rebuilding continues in good-ole Buffalo...Rebuilding:

Dig the trench
Pour in the footers
Lay the block
Run the floor joists

Tear out the block and floor joists, crack the footer

But when will the house be done? We don't have money for that.

mayotm
08-12-2011, 06:11 AM
I like Evans. He's been a good player on a bunch of bad teams. Poor QB play has obviously hurt his numbers over the years. That stated, I think many of you are overstating his value. If they can get a second for him, they should do it. Yes, a caliber starter would be better, but I don't see that happening.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 06:13 AM
BTW, I don't know if it has already been posted, but here is the article:

LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6854678/buffalo-bills-open-trade-involving-lee-evans-source-says)

Ingtar33
08-12-2011, 06:26 AM
A 2nd round pick for Lee is great value. He's 30 and on the backside of his career, we aren't a playoff team this year. Doubt it's for a 2nd though.

Trade him for a 2nd and we'll be getting raped in the deal. We need at least 1 more starting quality OT, and ILB. Since i rate both positions much more valuable to a team then WR, if we trade him for less then a starter at either position or a 1st rounder in next years draft we're getting raped.

Because to lose him for a season, before the season starts, will hurt this offense more then just losing the 37 catches, 600 yards and 4 tds. Just you watch because this offense will take a step backwards without him. As for WHY i want at least a 1st, it's obvious. I want a starter at ILB and OT, i also want to have currency in the event we're no.2 in the draft and want to move up for LUCK.

If we don't trade him for picks we need at least a starter at OT or ILB to make this worth it.

DraftBoy
08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
What is Jeff Otah worth if we were to trade a pick for him? Now what is Jordan Gross worth?

We know you want a player but nobody and nothing has indicated that the Bills have any interest in getting a player back. We are getting picks for Lee.

Also I somewhat played with this idea when I mocked Alshon Jeffrey to Buffalo earlier this week. WR will likely be a need if we move Evans.

delectrolux
08-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Trade him for a 2nd and we'll be getting raped in the deal. We need at least 1 more starting quality OT, and ILB. Since i rate both positions much more valuable to a team then WR, if we trade him for less then a starter at either position or a 1st rounder in next years draft we're getting raped.

Because to lose him for a season, before the season starts, will hurt this offense more then just losing the 37 catches, 600 yards and 4 tds. Just you watch because this offense will take a step backwards without him. As for WHY i want at least a 1st, it's obvious. I want a starter at ILB and OT, i also want to have currency in the event we're no.2 in the draft and want to move up for LUCK.

If we don't trade him for picks we need at least a starter at OT or ILB to make this worth it.

I like Evans as a Bill, but I think you are greatly over rating Lee both on the field and in trade value.

Night Train
08-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Better be an established player in return (ex. OT) who can contribute.

Getting a low pick doesn't make sense, but this IS the Bills.

better days
08-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Well, you for one would be wrong that another player on the team could easily fill Evans roll.

If Easley is healthy, he can stretch the field like Evans, but he will not draw double teams like Evans unless & until he makes some big catches.

Captain Obvious
08-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Also I somewhat played with this idea when I mocked Alshon Jeffrey to Buffalo earlier this week. WR will likely be a need if we move Evans.

Cookie G normally you would make a sarcastic reference to a WR being taken in the 1st Round or is Draftboy going to get a pass?

better days
08-12-2011, 07:43 AM
There is a difference between being open to a trade & seeking a trade. Being open to a trade means if somebody offers you a good deal, you make the trade. Just as Denver was open to trade Orton for a 2nd rnd pick, they will not trade him for a 3rd or 4th. A team seeking a trade will take what it can get.

wmoz11
08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Gailey is on Sirius right now if anyone can listen and report back.

k-oneputt
08-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Cookie G normally you would make a sarcastic reference to a WR being taken in the 1st Round or is Draftboy going to get a pass?

I'll make it for him. If we take a wr in the first rd. of the 2012 draft then this regime will prove to be as stupid {almost, nearly impossible} as the last.

don137
08-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I wish the trade would be with the Redskins. They always makes stupid deals. Remember when they offered two first rd picks for Ochocinco 3 years ago.

DraftBoy
08-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I'll make it for him. If we take a wr in the first rd. of the 2012 draft then this regime will prove to be as stupid {almost, nearly impossible} as the last.

It doesn't feel the same as when Cookie calls me stupid for doing it. :sad:

But I appreciate the effort!

alohabillsfan
08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I wish the trade would be with the Redskins. They always makes stupid deals. Remember when they offered two first rd picks for Ochocinco 3 years ago.

There is a rumor on the net that has a swap of Evans for Cooley.

Extremebillsfan247
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm hearing the Bills want significant compensation for Lee but may only be able to settle for a late round pick if they do in fact trade him. JMO

cookie G
08-12-2011, 08:30 AM

I already said it last night...

Yep. And our first round pick next year will be a "playmaking WR". The 4th rounder we get for Evans will be used on a 2nd team DB with return skills.

And people will justify it,

It didn't even take 12 hours for someone to talk about using next year's first on a WR.

The compensation received for Evans, be it a 3rd or whatever, won't be used on an area of need anyways, it'll be used on a DB or RB or something.

The biggest thing trading Evans creates is the rationale for taking a WR in the first next year.

Never underestimate the power of properly exploited rationale.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Rotoworld, citing a reporter, reports a 3rd round pick:

LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/26/lee-evans)

I've heard the Bills want a third-round pick for Evans. The Panthers don't have a third -- and that's too much anyway.

That comes from Steve Reed, a Panthers beat guy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Extremebillsfan247
08-12-2011, 08:34 AM
There are only 2 reasons why trading Lee makes sense right now. 1. They have a very young receiver core, Lee no longer fits in that scheme. 2. They won't want to pay Fitz starting QB money if he has a good year, taking Lee out of the equation will make a good year by Fitz statistically, tougher. JMO

The King
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
It's solely because Lee wont be a realistic option for this team when they return to the right side of 500... he'll be past his prime then. If he has value now then look at it. But there's no reason to give him away IMO.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Same Carolina beat reporter saying Panthers not going to trade for him.

LINK (http://twitter.com/#!/carolinagrowl/statuses/102016709459849216)

Of course, that could merely be part of the negotiation.

BillsWin
08-12-2011, 09:54 AM
There are only 2 reasons why trading Lee makes sense right now. 1. They have a very young receiver core, Lee no longer fits in that scheme. 2. They won't want to pay Fitz starting QB money if he has a good year, taking Lee out of the equation will make a good year by Fitz statistically, tougher. JMO

That's the "Ralph is cheap" statement I was looking for.

I'd add another option.

Bills have young, talented receivers. Lee's production is dropping. Lee is getting older. The Bills want to get value for him while they still can.

It's like trading in your car while it still has life in it. You want to trade it in while it's value is still reasonable for that model.

mikemac2001
08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
That's the "Ralph is cheap" statement I was looking for.

I'd add another option.

Bills have young, talented receivers. Lee's production is dropping. Lee is getting older. The Bills want to get value for him while they still can.

It's like trading in your car while it still has life in it. You want to trade it in while it's value is still reasonable for that model.

NOOOOOOO

Ralph is cheap
Nix is a Bafoon
Lee is a true #1
fitz sucks and thats why his stats suck

i would rather have lee then trade him but you have to look at his production (he has never had a true qb) but he has generally been a one trick pony i really wanted to see what he could do this year

but if the team see's that he isn't gelling with the offense and want to get something in return and help us build for the future (which we aint winning sb this year) then i understand it as a business decision.

now if we don't get value for him i will be pissed i still think a 3rd alone is to low i would like a 2nd rd pick or a 3rd + 4th or 5th

we also have a ton of younger wr's who need to step up and i feel with chans offense they can

delectrolux
08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, you for one would be wrong that another player on the team could easily fill Evans roll.

And this is based on what evidence? in 2009, Stevie played five games and had 2 receptions for 10 full yards. Then last year we get a coach with some brains and he plays Stevie 16 games. 82 catches and 1,073 yards - with 10 touchdowns. How am I wrong, when it is my opinion that someone else could fill Lee's diminished role? Especially when we haven't seen what many of these young guys can do. Only one way to find out, right?

If Easley is healthy, he can stretch the field like Evans, but he will not draw double teams like Evans unless & until he makes some big catches.

I don't get your logic here. Evans does one thing, stretches the field. That's why he gets double teamed (corner back off the line and presumably a safety over the top to cover that long speed). So, if Easley can also stretch the field like Evans, wouldn't he draw the same coverages? Or will opposing defenses assume he can't catch a ball and not bring the safety over?

better days
08-12-2011, 10:18 AM
And this is based on what evidence? in 2009, Stevie played five games and had 2 receptions for 10 full yards. Then last year we get a coach with some brains and he plays Stevie 16 games. 82 catches and 1,073 yards - with 10 touchdowns. How am I wrong, when it is my opinion that someone else could fill Lee's diminished role? Especially when we haven't seen what many of these young guys can do. Only one way to find out, right?

I don't get your logic here. Evans does one thing, stretches the field. That's why he gets double teamed (corner back off the line and presumably a safety over the top to cover that long speed). So, if Easley can also stretch the field like Evans, wouldn't he draw the same coverages? Or will opposing defenses assume he can't catch a ball and not bring the safety over?

Yes, unless Easley proves he deserves the attention of double coverage, they will double Stevie instead which will hinder his effectiveness.

DraftBoy
08-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I already said it last night...

It didn't even take 12 hours for someone to talk about using next year's first on a WR.

The compensation received for Evans, be it a 3rd or whatever, won't be used on an area of need anyways, it'll be used on a DB or RB or something.

The biggest thing trading Evans creates is the rationale for taking a WR in the first next year.

Never underestimate the power of properly exploited rationale.

In my defense, I actually produced that mock well in advance of what Schefter said.

CAbills
08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Easley can't step on a practice field without getting hurt. Slow your roll man dudes never even played a game.

k-oneputt
08-12-2011, 10:29 AM
In my defense, I actually produced that mock well in advance of what Schefter said.

Then that pick is even worse then originally thought.

Mallett looked good last night. The Pats will probably trade him in a couple of years for a 1st rd. pick.

DraftBoy
08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Then that pick is even worse then originally thought.

Mallett looked good last night. The Pats will probably trade him in a couple of years for a 1st rd. pick.

Yes he did, Pats got perfect value for him where they picked him. Wonder how they make the mid round QB thing work so well...

JCBills
08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
That is literally the only way I would be good with trading him for a pick or picks. And I have zero belief that Nix would ever make that move.

With next year's QB class, that wouldn't be necessary. Things look good well beyond Luck.

Ed
08-12-2011, 10:57 AM
If the Broncos can't get a 2nd round pick for Orton, who's going to give up a 2nd for Lee? And if we can't get a 2nd, what's the point of trading Lee for a pick?

If they're this willing to trade him, then this tells me that Gailey just doesn't see Lee as being much of an asset. I don't think Gailey would be ok with this if he thought it was going to weaken his offense. And I don't think Nix would be open to this if Gailey really felt he needed him.

Maybe Fitz and Lee just don't have the right chemistry so they don't see Lee's production improving much.

I really don't like the idea of this move and I would be disappointed to see Lee go, but if there's one thing I feel really good about, it's Gailey's offensive coaching abilities, so I would have to believe there's a good reason to do this.

Maybe Nix and Gailey just really don't like Big 10 players.

better days
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
If the Broncos can't get a 2nd round pick for Orton, who's going to give up a 2nd for Lee? And if we can't get a 2nd, what's the point of trading Lee for a pick?

If they're this willing to trade him, then this tells me that Gailey just doesn't see Lee as being much of an asset. I don't think Gailey would be ok with this if he thought it was going to weaken his offense. And I don't think Nix would be open to this if Gailey really felt he needed him.

Maybe Fitz and Lee just don't have the right chemistry so they don't see Lee's production improving much.

I really don't like the idea of this move and I would be disappointed to see Lee go, but if there's one thing I feel really good about, it's Gailey's offensive coaching abilities, so I would have to believe there's a good reason to do this.

Maybe Nix and Gailey just really don't like Big 10 players.

Nix has said no player is untouchable. He said "I will do anything that improves the team". That means he will not unload Evans for a low rnd pick, but will if offered something substantial for him.

acehole
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Somebody at camp stepped up is bottom line...or they think their new signee can fill the #2 and Johnson can be #1.

Don't like the #4 was worth putting him in the slot for that pick.

Nix has said no player is untouchable. He said "I will do anything that improves the team". That means he will not unload Evans for a low rnd pick, but will if offered something substantial for him.