• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

It's not about winning it's about losing

All sorts of drama around here right now and I can't say I am sure why. Lee Evans had 37 catches and 500 yards. Most of the season he coasted along.

It sounds like he's a great guy, but he isn't a great wide receiver, he's decent. He shows zero signs of getting better and at this point he's actually taking up a spot on the roster for someone to step in and prove what they can do. Lee Evans was simply taking reps away from guys like Nelson, Jones and Easley who showed promise in their brief appearances last year... these are kids trying to get better trying to make an impact on this team.

Lee Evans was simply comfortable with being Lee Evans, he could beat you on a streak every now and again. But above all else he was comfortable losing, and that's what this is all about. The effort from guys like Fred Jackson and George Wilson is evident every time they're on the field these guys want to be better they want this team to be better. And everyone who plays without that passion is being shown the door. Nix talked about it when he first got here he has to change the attitude of this team. It's not about how you play, it's about how hard you play.
    Last edited by The King; 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: It's not about winning it's about losing

One other thing I'd like to say is that Evans being traded indicates positive things on the injury front. I have a hard time imagining they'd trade him away if any one of the receivers' injuries were serious (I know, Easley was back at practice the other day, but Parrish I believe is still injured).
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• bf1
      • Oct 2010

How much was his lack of success was due to Trent? And getting double teamed? It's not so simple.

At some point you need vets to help pave the way for the younger guys. Even if you have to {gasp} overpay for the vets. The younger guys aren't going to get better alone.

Comment

• DBrown77
        Watching the Bills suck since 1999
        • Mar 2005

I agree King. Although I wish they had not traded him, his numbers have not been that great. You can blame the QB all you want, but we have the same QB we had last year when he caught 37 balls.

GREAT WR's get open regardless of the QB or defense. Lee has trouble getting open. I love Lee but he was just riding the wave the past few years. He just didnt seem like he was trying anymore probably because they were just losing anyway.
        Last edited by DBrown77; 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

I see no reason why easley and nelson can't match those numbers... especially since they play in between the hash marks too.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

If Johnson catches the pass against Pittsburgh PERHAPS that's true.

AFAIC, we now have no number 1 receiver.

Comment

• bf1
              • Oct 2010

How much of Nelson and Johnson't success was due to having Lee on the other side?

Two steps forward, three steps back.

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

Lee wasn't a #1, the guy isn't even in the top 40 in the league IMO.
                It was all

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bf1
                  How much of Nelson and Johnson't success was due to having Lee on the other side?

Two steps forward, three steps back.
                  We're not a deep ball team anymore... these guys are going to be flying all over the middle of the field. This is a good thing. The value thing is the only part that sucks. We'll be a better team for it.
                  Last edited by The King; 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM.
                  It was all

Comment

• bf1
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by King Bedard
                    Lee wasn't a #1, the guy isn't even in the top 40 in the league IMO.
                    #1 on the Bills that is. Remember we're talking about a Bumbling Buddy Nix built 4-12 team here.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian
                      If Johnson catches the pass against Pittsburgh PERHAPS that's true.

AFAIC, we now have no number 1 receiver.
                      Everyone that just cites Evans stats will soon see what he brought to the team when Stevie is doubled all the time now.

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by better days
                        Everyone that just cites Evans stats will soon see what he brought to the team when Stevie is doubled all the time now.
                        That would be perfect because then someone else will step up and do what Johnson did last year. It's going to take a few weeks for anyone to double up on our receivers though.
                        It was all

Comment

• bf1
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by King Bedard
                          That would be perfect because then someone else will step up and do what Johnson did last year. It's going to take a few weeks for anyone to double up on our receivers though.
                          Yeah just waive a magic wand.

Comment

• The King
                            • Jun 2004

I think it will a seamless transition.
                            It was all

Comment

• acehole
                              • Jan 2006

hahah That would be blasphemy!

Trend is never to blame!

LOL it still continues today.

Originally posted by bf1
                              How much was his lack of success was due to Trent? And getting double teamed? It's not so simple.

At some point you need vets to help pave the way for the younger guys. Even if you have to {gasp} overpay for the vets. The younger guys aren't going to get better alone.
                              Hated by the stupid..
                              Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                              X