PDA

View Full Version : Why does this FO insist on a self-perpetuating rebuilding process?

OpIv37
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm 50-50 on the Evans trade. From the standpoint of getting rid of older players who have underperformed and are part of the old culture of losing, I get it.

From a talent and a cost standpoint, I don't get it. We obviously don't have anyone better, and his contract was reasonable.

When Buddy and Chan took over, we all knew this team was a cluster**** and that they had to rebuild. Here's the problem: why the **** did Buddy wait a WHOLE ****ING YEAR to do it?

Why didn't we move Evans, Poz and Whitner last year? We might have gotten more for Evans, and even if we only got a 7th for Poz or Whitner, it would be better than getting NOTHING when they walked this year.

Yes, I know people will say "we had to see what we had on the field." But the reality is that there was plenty of game tape and footage of these guys, and Buddy was with the team for an entire year before becoming GM anyway. So they had ample opportunity to evaluate.

Instead, we kept these guys around for a year to do nothing, taking snaps away from young guys in a season that was wasted anyway. Buddy delayed the whole rebuilding process a year. Meanwhile, guys like McGee, Florence and Parrish are getting older and will likely be gone before we get good.... creating new holes.... and continuing the self-perpetuating rebuilding process. We got rid of a solid player for a 4th round pick, who won't be able to help for a year, if he helps at all.

It's always about "later" with this team. "We need to rebuild through the draft... it's a process... it takes time.' They are always building towards a future that never ****ing gets here.

**** Buddy for pissing away an entire year. He started rebuilding last week.

bf1
08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Exactly. They are chasing their tails. At some point they need to try to improve NOW. The future will always be in the future (wow that's a yogi berraism isn't it?).

Ingtar33
08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
you can't improve if you let all your talent leave (or trade it away)

this is appalling on so many levels. i feel like I've woken from a long dream to find i'm really a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Bill Brasky
08-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm 50-50 on the Evans trade. From the standpoint of getting rid of older players who have underperformed and are part of the old culture of losing, I get it.

From a talent and a cost standpoint, I don't get it. We obviously don't have anyone better, and his contract was reasonable.

any rational fan will probably agree with you on this.

this franchise needs to start winning games and show some sign of a ******* pulse instead of leaning on the "rebuilding for the future" line. we're sick of hearing it. i've grown tired of the whole draft a player to "build" around... then:

a) trades them for nothing
b) lets them walk out of town for nothing
c) won't resign them because they cost too much

this whole "building through the draft" and "keeping the talent we have" line doesn't carry weight anymore.

i understand wanting to give the young guys a chance to prove their worth, but whats the point if you're just going to ship them off or let them walk once they've proven themselves... and get nothing in return to boot!

OpIv37
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
The more I think about this, the more I realize that I'm less pissed about Evans specifically and more pissed about the implications it has for the team.

We don't keep the limited talent that we do have. We don't sign FA's. We waste a year before breaking down the team to rebuild.

I swear, it's like this team goes into every season hoping to win by having about 10 rookies and 2nd tier guys turn into instant stars. That appears to be their only strategy.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
There's also the alternate theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(1968_film)

Produce something that's such a terrible flop that nobody will see what's going on behind the scenes. A distraction, if you will.

better days
08-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I think its time to show us the baby Nix.

kingJofNYC
08-13-2011, 02:18 AM
They'll get a comp pick for Poz.

Whitner is trash no one would have given **** for him, look at how long it took for someone to sign that scrub.

We had no young guys to step in for Poz, Whitner, or Evans. We added two potential safeties in this past draft with A.Williams and Searcy, two Middle linebackers. The staff had no clue on what the young receivers could do a year ago, heck no one knew what Stevie J could do. Evans was the best option, why get rid of him a year ago when he was the only sure thing.

McGee is already on the backside of his career, forget about him. And Florence was trash before Catavalos turned him around.

Just relax and let things play out. I'm more worried about paying are young guys, Williams/Johnson/Wood/Levitre, than McGee/Parrish/Florence.

jcdavey
08-13-2011, 03:16 AM
They'll get a comp pick for Poz.

Whitner is trash no one would have given **** for him, look at how long it took for someone to sign that scrub.

We had no young guys to step in for Poz, Whitner, or Evans. We added two potential safeties in this past draft with A.Williams and Searcy, two Middle linebackers. The staff had no clue on what the young receivers could do a year ago, heck no one knew what Stevie J could do. Evans was the best option, why get rid of him a year ago when he was the only sure thing.

McGee is already on the backside of his career, forget about him. And Florence was trash before Catavalos turned him around.

Just relax and let things play out. I'm more worried about paying are young guys, Williams/Johnson/Wood/Levitre, than McGee/Parrish/Florence.
you only get comp pick if you lose more free agents than you sign

and i believe players that were cut, that you signed, do not count into that formula, as free agents

so you should be good for a comp pick

ServoBillieves
08-13-2011, 04:33 AM
There's also the alternate theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(1968_film)

Produce something that's such a terrible flop that nobody will see what's going on behind the scenes. A distraction, if you will.

Springtime, for Ralphie, and Gaileyyy...

CoolBreeze
08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Talk about over reaction.. When was the last time anyone saw Lee Evans lay out, fight for a ball, or go over the middle? He only caught what was dropped in his hands on the one route he could run. He wasn't bad, but he would never be great. He was probably the 2nd weakest receiver of the group physically just above parrish. He was soft, and couldn't beat an above average corner. This wr unit is getting bigger and stronger, which is required in this division. Look at the size of them, besides Parrish. He gets by on extreme quickness. This whole team has gotten bigger. I don't see the D-Line getting pushed back, like the past. This frees up LB to do their jobs. The model of this league is the Patriots, everyone thought they were nuts when they let go of Milloy, Law, Moss, Seymour, and many others, plugs in young guys and develops them. The WR unit will be fine. There's other guys that can do what lee did, and more important, what he wouldn't do.

Mike
08-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Why didn't we move Evans, Poz and Whitner last year? We might have gotten more for Evans, and even if we only got a 7th for Poz or Whitner, it would be better than getting NOTHING when they walked this year.

For the Same Reason we got so little from Lynch. This FO, like most FO and most people. Lack Vision. Lynch should have been traded right after his pro-bowl debut. Would have gotten us much better picks, oppose to a year later. And as for Poz, Whitner, & Evens, your right, they should have been shipped off right away. I think there was a post last year about this. It was a post of who is tradable, and naturally I argued everyone except for a few select players like K. Williams, Wood, Levitre etc... some players that were just drafted. Vision, its rare.

Mike
08-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Also, Bills nation was not ready for those moves. Descent might have gone to critical levels.

better days
08-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Talk about over reaction.. When was the last time anyone saw Lee Evans lay out, fight for a ball, or go over the middle? He only caught what was dropped in his hands on the one route he could run. He wasn't bad, but he would never be great. He was probably the 2nd weakest receiver of the group physically just above parrish. He was soft, and couldn't beat an above average corner. This wr unit is getting bigger and stronger, which is required in this division. Look at the size of them, besides Parrish. He gets by on extreme quickness. This whole team has gotten bigger. I don't see the D-Line getting pushed back, like the past. This frees up LB to do their jobs. The model of this league is the Patriots, everyone thought they were nuts when they let go of Milloy, Law, Moss, Seymour, and many others, plugs in young guys and develops them. The WR unit will be fine. There's other guys that can do what lee did, and more important, what he wouldn't do.

Well, the Ravens saw Evans up close last year when he put up 3 TDs on them. If he were as bad as some people on this board seem to think why would a very good team like the Ravens want him?

Extremebillsfan247
08-13-2011, 01:07 PM

When Buddy and Chan took over, we all knew this team was a cluster**** and that they had to rebuild. Here's the problem: why the **** did Buddy wait a WHOLE ****ING YEAR to do it?

Yes, I know people will say "we had to see what we had on the field." But the reality is that there was plenty of game tape and footage of these guys, and Buddy was with the team for an entire year before becoming GM anyway. So they had ample opportunity to evaluate.

Instead, we kept these guys around for a year to do nothing, taking snaps away from young guys in a season that was wasted anyway. Buddy delayed the whole rebuilding process a year. Meanwhile, guys like McGee, Florence and Parrish are getting older and will likely be gone before we get good.... creating new holes.... and continuing the self-perpetuating rebuilding process. We got rid of a solid player for a 4th round pick, who won't be able to help for a year, if he helps at all.

It's always about "later" with this team. "We need to rebuild through the draft... it's a process... it takes time.' They are always building towards a future that never ****ing gets here.

**** Buddy for pissing away an entire year. He started rebuilding last week.
I think the year was an evaluation process that had a lot more to do with Gailey than Nix. Gailey wanted to know exactly what he had on the team before letting guys go. Watching game film is only going to help so much in the evaluation process especially when the coach you are replacing uses a different philosophy than you do. It's tougher to asses who can and can't play in your system until you actually get them on the field sometimes. I think keeping these players around for a season was Gailey's idea. I could be wrong about that though.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Exactly. They are chasing their tails. At some point they need to try to improve NOW. The future will always be in the future (wow that's a yogi berraism isn't it?).http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=204526

That's exactly what they are doing.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 01:11 PM
you can't improve if you let all your talent leave (or trade it away)

this is appalling on so many levels. i feel like I've woken from a long dream to find i'm really a fan of the Pittsburgh PiratesI really wish Ralph would just sell the team. Pegula would sacrifice money to win. Ralph is the anti-Pegula.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
any rational fan will probably agree with you on this.

this franchise needs to start winning games and show some sign of a ******* pulse instead of leaning on the "rebuilding for the future" line. we're sick of hearing it. i've grown tired of the whole draft a player to "build" around... then:

a) trades them for nothing
b) lets them walk out of town for nothing
c) won't resign them because they cost too much

this whole "building through the draft" and "keeping the talent we have" line doesn't carry weight anymore.

i understand wanting to give the young guys a chance to prove their worth, but whats the point if you're just going to ship them off or let them walk once they've proven themselves... and get nothing in return to boot!Both of those statements are proven to be falsehoods on this team.

Money. It's a way to rationalize a smaller budget. And Bills fans are starting to see through the BS. More wins will require more money.

I wish it were different but IMO it isn't. You get what you pay for.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Beli and the Pats get it:

"Sage ... RT @RapSheet (http://twitter.com/RapSheet): Wisdom from Bill Belichick: "The more good players you have on your team, the better your team is.""

http://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer/status/102444296657055745

Lone Stranger
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
The overall philosophy of this organization is to make money not to win championships. This is a difficult concept for any Bills fan to accept but that's the way it is. Only with new ownership can that direction change.

Come on Terry!!!!

PromoTheRobot
08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
This front office is slightly over one year old. Not 11 years old. It's hard to take rants like this seriously when you play day and lose with the facts. Let Nix do his job, judge him after year 3.

PTR