PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Evans Trade: Easley's ticket and a Positive Spin

BillsWin
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
"I know the organization believes Marcus Easley can be a number one or number two wideout in due time." - Chris Brown

The proof is in the pudding.

Lee was a great guy and a good soldier in the Bills decade long war with themselves. However, he was an aging vet with dwindling production and value. The Bills decided to part ways while they could still get value for him. It gives the organization a chance to really evaluate their youth and depth at the position while allowing a player like Easley, the chance to grow into the major role they see him in.

I have no problem with this.

I have a problem with the minimal value they received for the trade. A fourth round pick is unacceptable. Especially from a team like the Ravens, where it will probably be a low pick.

Aside from that, I like the fact that Easley will get more time and I like the fact that our depth (which performed very well) gets the chance to show what they've got.

Let's face it folks, we weren't going to win the big game this year. We probably won't even be competitive. But don't jump ship just yet until we see what players like Easley can do now that they can see the field.

Remember, Steve Johnson was stuck behind T.O. and Evans for a season. He blossomed when given the chance.

(Just trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing trade.)

Forward_Lateral
08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
It's fair to say that, had he not gotten hurt last preseason, Easley could've been in Stevie Johnson's spot.

The King
08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
:bf1:

Demon
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Let me remind everyone this dude has yet to plsy a single nfl game and hes made out of glass. Jus sayin

better days
08-12-2011, 01:53 PM
"I know the organization believes Marcus Easley can be a number one or number two wideout in due time." - Chris Brown

Lee was a great guy and a good soldier in the Bills decade long war with themselves. However, he was an aging vet with dwindling production and value. The Bills decided to part ways while they could still get value for him. It gives the organization a chance to really evaluate their youth and depth at the position while allowing a player like Easley, the chance to grow into the major role they see him in.

I have a problem with the minimal value they received for the trade. A fourth round pick is unacceptable. Especially from a team like the Ravens, where it will probably be a low pick.

Aside from that, I like the fact that Easley will get more time and I like the fact that our depth (which performed very well) gets the chance to show what they've got.

Let's face it folks, we weren't going to win the big game this year. We probably won't even be competitive. But don't jump ship just yet until we see what players like Easley can do now that they can see the field.

Remember, Steve Johnson was stuck behind T.O. and Evans for a season. He blossomed when given the chance.

What really makes me MAD is the fact that Nix thinks a pick in the bottom of the 4th rnd is "substantial". Nix may know how to draft, but he SUCKS at making trades.

acehole
08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Posted same thoughts in other post.

Lets move on from this.

cookie G
08-12-2011, 01:59 PM

That's the problem i have with it.

I really don't have a problem with trading value in a deep position if you can help your team in other areas of need.

I have serious questions as to whether we'll help other positions of need with the compensation received.

I smell a reserve running back or 3rd string offensive lineman when our compensation is selected next year.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
If the Bills want to move on from Evans because they have young guys that can do the job, I don't have any problem with it.

However, can we stop with the whole "aging vet" thing when describing Evans? People act like he is getting old. 30 isn't old for a WR, 35 is. Andre Johnson is 30. Anquan Boldin is 30. Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards last year and is 30.

30 isn't old. Evans is in his prime. He isn't old.

Demon
08-12-2011, 02:17 PM
If the Bills want to move on from Evans because they have young guys that can do the job, I don't have any problem with it.

However, can we stop with the whole "aging vet" thing when describing Evans? People act like he is getting old. 30 isn't old for a WR, 35 is. Andre Johnson is 30. Anquan Boldin is 30. Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards last year and is 30.

30 isn't old. Evans is in his prime. He isn't old.

Yes, but the first time we realistically have a chance to be good, is in 2 years, if all goes well, and even if he were to re-sign, he'd be 32, and that would be a bit old for a team trying to make it's break through.... but chances of him even re-signing in 2 years were slim to none anyways.

Buddo
08-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Elsewhere, I've posted that Gailey and Nix need to provide from the roster, another credible 'deep' threat. If they do this, then the move isn't that bad at all.
I don't really like what we got, but there simply isn't a great deal of value in WRs these days, at least not ones who have hit 30 - regardless of how much talent they have.
One of Jones, Easley or Davis, will have to take on that role, and make it work.
Atm, I'd say Jones is favourite. He's got some wheels, and has familiarity with the system, and got some experience last season.
Easley needs to stay healthy before he can be counted on.
Davis has possibilities, but is going to have to learn fast. Physically has the necessary attributes.
Without the deep threat that Evans posed, the balance of our offense is upset, until such time as one of the guys mentioned ( or a.n.other) steps up to provide it.

In respect of maximising what we could get for Evans, it might be that now was the time to make the move. I'm sceptical that it will not hinder us this year however.

I'm pretty optimistic about the young group of WRs we do have, but I don't think that Evans should have been traded this year, I think his veteran presence, gave us a lot more security at the position than we will now have.

Forward_Lateral
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Let me remind everyone this dude has yet to plsy a single nfl game and hes made out of glass. Jus sayin

How many NFL games did Stevie play in before his huge season last year? A handfull, at the most? Just sayin.

TigerJ
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
This is about where I am on this issue. I like Lee Evans. I think he can still be productive, and will be in Baltimore. However, I don't think he's a key to the success of the passing game.

Marcus Easley has a very high ceiling, but has proven nothing. I don't think he's necessary fragile. He's had one major injury. The timing of that injury happened to be pretty awful. The injury he had this year was nothing. Players get hurt like that all the time. If he as another major injury before the regular season, I'll start to have my doubts. I think the Bills have excellent depth at WR, and can put 4 and 5 good quality receivers on the field at the same time.

The Bills are definitely not playing it safe with this trade. I don't think what they got in return justifies the argument that they were right to trade him while he still has value. A likely late fourth round pick isn't a whole lot of value to take the risk that we'll have capable #1 and #2 WRs without Evans, but there's a decent chance the Bills are going to be just fine at WR.

DynaPaul
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't understand it. Lee Evans is still good. I would have held onto him.

better days
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes, but the first time we realistically have a chance to be good, is in 2 years, if all goes well, and even if he were to re-sign, he'd be 32, and that would be a bit old for a team trying to make it's break through.... but chances of him even re-signing in 2 years were slim to none anyways.

Well, he had a contract at a reasonable price for 2 more years there was no reason to take a 4th for him now. If that was the best offer, they could have got that much next year I'm sure, maybe more if they threw him the ball this year.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Oh, I understand why they made the trade. They like some of their other receivers (Peter King says Gailey loves Jones, and he was in camp recently), so why keep Evans? They save that money, which I imagine they are going to channel into other guys to re-sign (like Williams).

Just don't tell me the guy is old at 30. He isn't. That isn't old, he has good years left.

Goobylal
08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
A 4th is about the most you could ask for, considering Boldin went for a 3rd and 4th with the Ravens having to give back a 5th, Moss went for a 4th, and Holmes went for a 5th. Especially considering Evans wasn't even the Bills' leading receiver the past 2 years and is on the wrong side of 30.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Easley needs to be healthy and actually make the team first.

mikemac2001
08-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh, I understand why they made the trade. They like some of their other receivers (Peter King says Gailey loves Jones, and he was in camp recently), so why keep Evans? They save that money, which I imagine they are going to channel into other guys to re-sign (like Williams).

Just don't tell me the guy is old at 30. He isn't. That isn't old, he has good years left.

He's old

justasportsfan
08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
lets face it, Lee was not going to see another contract from the bills. We don't have a qb who can make full use of him deep and there are others who can run up the middle.

I don't think it's Easley they are impressed with but Roosevelt. He's having a very good camp.

Tatonka
08-13-2011, 12:14 AM
can someone please tell me what they have seen in easley? i mean seriously.. great.. everyone says he LOOKS like a beast.. he hasnt completed one week of practice yet.. in his career.. let alone played in so much as a preseason game.. but we think he is ready to replace lee evans????

Jan Reimers
08-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Easley has a cheap, 4th round draft pick contract. Lee makes $3.3M per year. That's what the old tight wad sees in this.

John Doe
08-13-2011, 06:08 AM
lets face it, Lee was not going to see another contract from the bills. We don't have a qb who can make full use of him deep and there are others who can run up the middle.

I don't think it's Easley they are impressed with but Roosevelt. He's having a very good camp.

This is the whole point of the trade IMO.

Easley had done nothing but has a boat load of physical talent. They are desperate to keep him but, at this point, he has not performed. Jones and Roosevelt have been heathy, have performed, and are ahead of Easley on the depth chart.

If they don't trade Evans then they probably have to cut Easley, and that is something that they don't want to do.

justasportsfan
08-13-2011, 09:50 AM
This is the whole point of the trade IMO.

If Lee wasn't going to be here, I can see that they wanted to give the reps to the younger ones.

McBFLO
08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I think with Gailey's preference to play 3, 4, and 5-wide sets, the #2 guy isn't necessarily that important. We have our clear #1 in Stevie. Gailey's plan is to beat the defense with Fitz's ability to make the quick, correct decision, and with the numbers we put out on the field. Lee was expendable. I like the move.

Goobylal
08-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Evans' best years are behind him. He's lost a step.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I think with Gailey's preference to play 3, 4, and 5-wide sets, the #2 guy isn't necessarily that important. We have our clear #1 in Stevie. Gailey's plan is to beat the defense with Fitz's ability to make the quick, correct decision, and with the numbers we put out on the field. Lee was expendable. I like the move.

Gailey's office is about confusion to defenses. There is reason he does not TEs unless they can do BOTH blocking and receiving well. There is a reason he likes running backs who can catch and straight run.

He does not like one dimensional players.

Lee Evans is a one dimensional player.

This move has Chan Gailey all over it.

ddaryl
08-13-2011, 05:42 PM
4th round pick is in line with the last group of WR's considering Evans is and was pretty 1 dimensional.

trade shocked me.. but we have a stable of guys who are all going to get their shot, and I like the young group we have.. They all have shown a little something in limited opportunities.
Evans wasn't going to be here in 2 years when we may just be capable of actually winning playoff games.. and him being here definnitley takes reps from the Goonsquad

Philagape
08-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Gailey's office is about confusion to defenses. There is reason he does not TEs unless they can do BOTH blocking and receiving well. There is a reason he likes running backs who can catch and straight run.

He does not like one dimensional players.

Lee Evans is a one dimensional player.

This move has Chan Gailey all over it.

Exactly, and his one big year was with a similar one-dimensional QB. They clicked (briefly) because they had the same dimension.

better days
08-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Evans' best years are behind him. He's lost a step.

Even if he has, he is still faster than 85% of the receivers playing today.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Also I think Evans may play a role in it. Chris Brown implied Evans asked for it. The fact that the Bills traded him to Baltimore instead of the Cards or Panthers, there might be truth to it.

Let's face it, if Evans is as highly touted as others perceived, I'd think Cards/Pathers will have no problem giving up a 4th for him. May be the Bills are doing Evans a favor by trading him to the most likely playoff contender of the bunch.

Novacane
08-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Easley has a cheap, 4th round draft pick contract. Lee makes $3.3M per year. That's what the old tight wad sees in this.

Exactly Jan! If they took the money they saved and put it somewhere other than Ralphs pocket this trade would make more sense.

Demon
08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
How many NFL games did Stevie play in before his huge season last year? A handfull, at the most? Just sayin.

Terrible example, because Steve Johnson was in camp several times and showed signs in some games over the years. Easley played his first ever NFL level game last night and has just few weeks of camp experience.