• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Behind the Evans Trade: Easley's ticket and a Positive Spin

"I know the organization believes Marcus Easley can be a number one or number two wideout in due time." - Chris Brown

The proof is in the pudding.

Lee was a great guy and a good soldier in the Bills decade long war with themselves. However, he was an aging vet with dwindling production and value. The Bills decided to part ways while they could still get value for him. It gives the organization a chance to really evaluate their youth and depth at the position while allowing a player like Easley, the chance to grow into the major role they see him in.

I have no problem with this.

I have a problem with the minimal value they received for the trade. A fourth round pick is unacceptable. Especially from a team like the Ravens, where it will probably be a low pick.

Aside from that, I like the fact that Easley will get more time and I like the fact that our depth (which performed very well) gets the chance to show what they've got.

Let's face it folks, we weren't going to win the big game this year. We probably won't even be competitive. But don't jump ship just yet until we see what players like Easley can do now that they can see the field.

Remember, Steve Johnson was stuck behind T.O. and Evans for a season. He blossomed when given the chance.

(Just trying to put a positive spin on a disappointing trade.)
    I am The Batman.
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Behind the Evans Trade: Easley's ticket and a Positive Spin

It's fair to say that, had he not gotten hurt last preseason, Easley could've been in Stevie Johnson's spot.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Demon
        • Mar 2003

Let me remind everyone this dude has yet to plsy a single nfl game and hes made out of glass. Jus sayin
        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsWin
          "I know the organization believes Marcus Easley can be a number one or number two wideout in due time." - Chris Brown

Lee was a great guy and a good soldier in the Bills decade long war with themselves. However, he was an aging vet with dwindling production and value. The Bills decided to part ways while they could still get value for him. It gives the organization a chance to really evaluate their youth and depth at the position while allowing a player like Easley, the chance to grow into the major role they see him in.

I have a problem with the minimal value they received for the trade. A fourth round pick is unacceptable. Especially from a team like the Ravens, where it will probably be a low pick.

Aside from that, I like the fact that Easley will get more time and I like the fact that our depth (which performed very well) gets the chance to show what they've got.

Let's face it folks, we weren't going to win the big game this year. We probably won't even be competitive. But don't jump ship just yet until we see what players like Easley can do now that they can see the field.

Remember, Steve Johnson was stuck behind T.O. and Evans for a season. He blossomed when given the chance.

What really makes me MAD is the fact that Nix thinks a pick in the bottom of the 4th rnd is "substantial". Nix may know how to draft, but he SUCKS at making trades.

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

Posted same thoughts in other post.

Lets move on from this.
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BillsWin

That's the problem i have with it.

I really don't have a problem with trading value in a deep position if you can help your team in other areas of need.

I have serious questions as to whether we'll help other positions of need with the compensation received.

I smell a reserve running back or 3rd string offensive lineman when our compensation is selected next year.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

If the Bills want to move on from Evans because they have young guys that can do the job, I don't have any problem with it.

However, can we stop with the whole "aging vet" thing when describing Evans? People act like he is getting old. 30 isn't old for a WR, 35 is. Andre Johnson is 30. Anquan Boldin is 30. Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards last year and is 30.

30 isn't old. Evans is in his prime. He isn't old.

Comment

• Demon
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                  If the Bills want to move on from Evans because they have young guys that can do the job, I don't have any problem with it.

However, can we stop with the whole "aging vet" thing when describing Evans? People act like he is getting old. 30 isn't old for a WR, 35 is. Andre Johnson is 30. Anquan Boldin is 30. Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards last year and is 30.

30 isn't old. Evans is in his prime. He isn't old.
                  Yes, but the first time we realistically have a chance to be good, is in 2 years, if all goes well, and even if he were to re-sign, he'd be 32, and that would be a bit old for a team trying to make it's break through.... but chances of him even re-signing in 2 years were slim to none anyways.
                  Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Buddo
                    • Mar 2007

Elsewhere, I've posted that Gailey and Nix need to provide from the roster, another credible 'deep' threat. If they do this, then the move isn't that bad at all.
                    I don't really like what we got, but there simply isn't a great deal of value in WRs these days, at least not ones who have hit 30 - regardless of how much talent they have.
                    One of Jones, Easley or Davis, will have to take on that role, and make it work.
                    Atm, I'd say Jones is favourite. He's got some wheels, and has familiarity with the system, and got some experience last season.
                    Easley needs to stay healthy before he can be counted on.
                    Davis has possibilities, but is going to have to learn fast. Physically has the necessary attributes.
                    Without the deep threat that Evans posed, the balance of our offense is upset, until such time as one of the guys mentioned ( or a.n.other) steps up to provide it.

In respect of maximising what we could get for Evans, it might be that now was the time to make the move. I'm sceptical that it will not hinder us this year however.

I'm pretty optimistic about the young group of WRs we do have, but I don't think that Evans should have been traded this year, I think his veteran presence, gave us a lot more security at the position than we will now have.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Demon
                      Let me remind everyone this dude has yet to plsy a single nfl game and hes made out of glass. Jus sayin
                      How many NFL games did Stevie play in before his huge season last year? A handfull, at the most? Just sayin.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

This is about where I am on this issue. I like Lee Evans. I think he can still be productive, and will be in Baltimore. However, I don't think he's a key to the success of the passing game.

Marcus Easley has a very high ceiling, but has proven nothing. I don't think he's necessary fragile. He's had one major injury. The timing of that injury happened to be pretty awful. The injury he had this year was nothing. Players get hurt like that all the time. If he as another major injury before the regular season, I'll start to have my doubts. I think the Bills have excellent depth at WR, and can put 4 and 5 good quality receivers on the field at the same time.

The Bills are definitely not playing it safe with this trade. I don't think what they got in return justifies the argument that they were right to trade him while he still has value. A likely late fourth round pick isn't a whole lot of value to take the risk that we'll have capable #1 and #2 WRs without Evans, but there's a decent chance the Bills are going to be just fine at WR.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

I don't understand it. Lee Evans is still good. I would have held onto him.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Yes, but the first time we realistically have a chance to be good, is in 2 years, if all goes well, and even if he were to re-sign, he'd be 32, and that would be a bit old for a team trying to make it's break through.... but chances of him even re-signing in 2 years were slim to none anyways.
                            Well, he had a contract at a reasonable price for 2 more years there was no reason to take a 4th for him now. If that was the best offer, they could have got that much next year I'm sure, maybe more if they threw him the ball this year.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Oh, I understand why they made the trade. They like some of their other receivers (Peter King says Gailey loves Jones, and he was in camp recently), so why keep Evans? They save that money, which I imagine they are going to channel into other guys to re-sign (like Williams).

Just don't tell me the guy is old at 30. He isn't. That isn't old, he has good years left.

Comment

Working...
                              X