• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Evans was traded because of money

The love of money is the root of all evil and it is the root of our problem.

There is zero reason for this move if you want to win this year. Zero. The pick does absolutely nothing to help us win this year. It also may do nothing to help us in the future if the player we draft with it does nothing.

It makes no sense to trade him for a pick unless it was all about money. I am convinced the Bills operate on a budget and that budget is fixed at well below the salary cap. I may try to figure out the actual number but it's probably close to 100 mill in total salary. Sadly, it doesn't matter how high the cap goes, we will never spend more than 100 mill in any year.

I'm convinced this was about money. They want to lock up Kyle long term and to do that and stay 20+ under the cap, they must get rid of another salary and that was Evans. And what's really sad is that without additional cuts to the payroll, we will not re-sign Stevie to the 8 mill or so per year that he will get. We also won't be re-signing Fitz to starting QB money without another cut.

When you operate at 100 mill, that means you will never have equal overall talent with teams that spend up to the cap. Think about it. 20 mill is 4 players at 5 mill per. It's 4 more Nick Barnett's. It's a solid starter at RG, a solid starter at RT and one or two more solid starters. That's what that 20 mill buys. That's how you get into the same realm as the Pats.

This was a stupid move. I'm sure we will hear apologists and excuse makers trying to claim it was smart, there is no logic in that. The overall talent is worse today without Lee Evans, and without a young guy stepping up, Stevie will also be worse due to the constant double teams. Can we survive losing Lee? sure. But the team did not get better by trading him this year. That's the real point. We may not get much worse but it could easily happen. But what is for sure is that we didn't get any better. And this shows our lack of commitment to doing what it takes to win. I was fine with the trade if it meant a starter at another position. I would still be fine with the trade if they move a pick or two for a solid starter at RT, RG, or some other area where we need it. But to hoard picks and cap room on a 4 and 12 team shows no interest in trying to win this year... or really in any year.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM.

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Evans was traded because of money

Very true, X.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
      Money is the root of all evil and it is the root of our problem.

There is zero reason for this move if you want to win this year. Zero. The pick does absolutely nothing to help us win this year. It also may do nothing to help us in the future if the player we draft with it does nothing.

It makes no sense to trade him for a pick unless it was all about money. I am convinced the Bills operate on a budget and that budget is fixed at well below the salary cap. I may try to figure out the actual number but it's probably close to 100 mill in total salary. Sadly, it doesn't matter how high the cap goes, we will never spend more than 100 mill in any year.

I'm convinced this was about money. They want to lock up Kyle long term and to do that and stay 20+ under the cap, they must get rid of another salary and that was Evans. And what's really sad is that without additional cuts to the payroll, we will not re-sign Stevie to the 8 mill or so per year that he will get. We also won't be re-signing Fitz to starting QB money without another cut.

When you operate at 100 mill, that means you will never have equal overall talent with teams that spend up to the cap. Think about it. 20 mill is 4 players at 5 mill per. It's 4 more Nick Barnett's. It's a solid starter at RG, a solid starter at RT and one or two more solid starters. That's what that 20 mill buys. That's how you get into the same realm as the Pats.

This was a stupid move. I'm sure we will hear apologists and excuse makers trying to claim it was smart, there is no logic in that. The overall talent is worse today without Lee Evans, and without a young guy stepping up, Stevie will also be worse due to the constant double teams. Can we survive losing Lee? sure. But the team did not get better by trading him this year. That's the real point. We may not get much worse but it could easily happen. But what is for sure is that we didn't get any better. And this shows our lack of commitment to doing what it takes to win. I was fine with the trade if it meant a starter at another position. I would still be fine with the trade if they move a pick or two for a solid starter at RT, RG, or some other area where we need it. But to hoard picks and cap room on a 4 and 12 team shows no interest in trying to win this year... or really in any year.
      Good post but they will have to spend more when the cap floor comes about though wont they?

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        Good post but they will have to spend more when the cap floor comes about though wont they?
        89% of the cap. At 120 mill, that will be 106.8. They will sign one or two additional players or will easily make up that difference in a extension to one current player. Sorry, but the Bills won't have to get significantly better from FA.

Comment

• baalworship
          • May 2003

Based on what I saw at training camp yesterday he was traded because of...

Donald Jones. Jones and Fitz have great chemistry and I think there's a good chance Jones is the number #2.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by baalworship

Donald Jones. Jones and Fitz have great chemistry and I think there's a good chance Jones is the number #2.
            Worse today, not better. The overall talent is worse. If this was for a player who helps at a clear need I would have been fine because of the WR depth. But this was for money.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

This team is no worse nor no better today.

This was a 4 win team with Lee, it'll be a 4 win team without him.

Hopefully that 4th round pick is used on someone who contributes next year or is packaged in a trade to get someone.

FYI there is no salary floor this year, there's an amount all teams combined must spend to be in compliance.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evil

Comment

• baalworship
                  • May 2003

Worse today, not better. The overall talent is worse. If this was for a player who helps at a clear need I would have been fine because of the WR depth. But this was for money.

Evans wasn't a money move. I criticized the Bills trading Jason Peters because they were just too cheap. You pay left tackles.

Evans was more a combination of bad fit/ wanting to play younger receivers. Gailey himself kept saying how unhappy he was with Evans overall game. Gailey is running the offense and this came from him.

Evans will do better in Baltimore as he will be across from Boldin and has a stronger armed quarterback. But I expect whoever the Bills plug in as a #2 to do fine. My money is on Jones.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    This team is no worse nor no better today.

This was a 4 win team with Lee, it'll be a 4 win team without him.

Hopefully that 4th round pick is used on someone who contributes next year or is packaged in a trade to get someone.

FYI there is no salary floor this year, there's an amount all teams combined must spend to be in compliance.
                    I'm well aware, the cap floor starts in 2013.

We are absolutely worse as far as overall talent. There is no logic in saying anything else.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evil
                      Then the Bills are the root of all evil because they clearly love their money. They don't love to win.

They are the anti-Pegula.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Evans wasn't a money move. I criticized the Bills trading Jason Peters because they were just too cheap. You pay left tackles.

Evans was more a combination of bad fit/ wanting to play younger receivers. Gailey himself kept saying how unhappy he was with Evans overall game. Gailey is running the offense and this came from him.

Evans will do better in Baltimore as he will be across from Boldin and has a stronger armed quarterback. But I expect whoever the Bills plug in as a #2 to do fine. My money is on Jones.
                        B.S.

There was no sense in this move unless it was for money. If your unhappy with his game, you can bench him. If you want to start other guys, you can bench him. The only reason you trade him is to get a pick from money you want off your payroll.

Comment

• baalworship
                          • May 2003

B.S.

There was no sense in this move unless it was for money. If your unhappy with his game, you can bench him. If you want to start other guys, you can bench him. The only reason you trade him is to get a pick from money you want off your payroll.
                          Why bench him and get nothing for him AND pay him a zillion dollars a year? If you have a young player who the coaching staff thinks is close to a veteran on a rebuilding team you do exactly what the Bills did.

Pocket a pick and play the youngster.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                            • Feb 2004

He was traded because he just doen't fit with the sytem Chan runs.
                            It is so obvious that he is NO LONGER the go to guy....

**** David Nelson is the go to guy over Lee....
                            GO Gators!!!!!!
                            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• baalworship
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                              He was traded because he just doen't fit with the sytem Chan runs.
                              It is so obvious that he is NO LONGER the go to guy....

**** David Nelson is the go to guy over Lee....

It's between Jones and Nelson for the #2 opposite Stevie.

Comment

Working...
                              X