PDA

View Full Version : Evans was traded because of money

X-Era
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
The love of money is the root of all evil and it is the root of our problem.

There is zero reason for this move if you want to win this year. Zero. The pick does absolutely nothing to help us win this year. It also may do nothing to help us in the future if the player we draft with it does nothing.

It makes no sense to trade him for a pick unless it was all about money. I am convinced the Bills operate on a budget and that budget is fixed at well below the salary cap. I may try to figure out the actual number but it's probably close to 100 mill in total salary. Sadly, it doesn't matter how high the cap goes, we will never spend more than 100 mill in any year.

I'm convinced this was about money. They want to lock up Kyle long term and to do that and stay 20+ under the cap, they must get rid of another salary and that was Evans. And what's really sad is that without additional cuts to the payroll, we will not re-sign Stevie to the 8 mill or so per year that he will get. We also won't be re-signing Fitz to starting QB money without another cut.

When you operate at 100 mill, that means you will never have equal overall talent with teams that spend up to the cap. Think about it. 20 mill is 4 players at 5 mill per. It's 4 more Nick Barnett's. It's a solid starter at RG, a solid starter at RT and one or two more solid starters. That's what that 20 mill buys. That's how you get into the same realm as the Pats.

This was a stupid move. I'm sure we will hear apologists and excuse makers trying to claim it was smart, there is no logic in that. The overall talent is worse today without Lee Evans, and without a young guy stepping up, Stevie will also be worse due to the constant double teams. Can we survive losing Lee? sure. But the team did not get better by trading him this year. That's the real point. We may not get much worse but it could easily happen. But what is for sure is that we didn't get any better. And this shows our lack of commitment to doing what it takes to win. I was fine with the trade if it meant a starter at another position. I would still be fine with the trade if they move a pick or two for a solid starter at RT, RG, or some other area where we need it. But to hoard picks and cap room on a 4 and 12 team shows no interest in trying to win this year... or really in any year.

Historian
08-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Very true, X.

THATHURMANATOR
08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Money is the root of all evil and it is the root of our problem.

There is zero reason for this move if you want to win this year. Zero. The pick does absolutely nothing to help us win this year. It also may do nothing to help us in the future if the player we draft with it does nothing.

It makes no sense to trade him for a pick unless it was all about money. I am convinced the Bills operate on a budget and that budget is fixed at well below the salary cap. I may try to figure out the actual number but it's probably close to 100 mill in total salary. Sadly, it doesn't matter how high the cap goes, we will never spend more than 100 mill in any year.

I'm convinced this was about money. They want to lock up Kyle long term and to do that and stay 20+ under the cap, they must get rid of another salary and that was Evans. And what's really sad is that without additional cuts to the payroll, we will not re-sign Stevie to the 8 mill or so per year that he will get. We also won't be re-signing Fitz to starting QB money without another cut.

When you operate at 100 mill, that means you will never have equal overall talent with teams that spend up to the cap. Think about it. 20 mill is 4 players at 5 mill per. It's 4 more Nick Barnett's. It's a solid starter at RG, a solid starter at RT and one or two more solid starters. That's what that 20 mill buys. That's how you get into the same realm as the Pats.

This was a stupid move. I'm sure we will hear apologists and excuse makers trying to claim it was smart, there is no logic in that. The overall talent is worse today without Lee Evans, and without a young guy stepping up, Stevie will also be worse due to the constant double teams. Can we survive losing Lee? sure. But the team did not get better by trading him this year. That's the real point. We may not get much worse but it could easily happen. But what is for sure is that we didn't get any better. And this shows our lack of commitment to doing what it takes to win. I was fine with the trade if it meant a starter at another position. I would still be fine with the trade if they move a pick or two for a solid starter at RT, RG, or some other area where we need it. But to hoard picks and cap room on a 4 and 12 team shows no interest in trying to win this year... or really in any year.
Good post but they will have to spend more when the cap floor comes about though wont they?

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Good post but they will have to spend more when the cap floor comes about though wont they?89% of the cap. At 120 mill, that will be 106.8. They will sign one or two additional players or will easily make up that difference in a extension to one current player. Sorry, but the Bills won't have to get significantly better from FA.

baalworship
08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Based on what I saw at training camp yesterday he was traded because of...

Donald Jones. Jones and Fitz have great chemistry and I think there's a good chance Jones is the number #2.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Donald Jones. Jones and Fitz have great chemistry and I think there's a good chance Jones is the number #2.Worse today, not better. The overall talent is worse. If this was for a player who helps at a clear need I would have been fine because of the WR depth. But this was for money.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
This team is no worse nor no better today.

This was a 4 win team with Lee, it'll be a 4 win team without him.

Hopefully that 4th round pick is used on someone who contributes next year or is packaged in a trade to get someone.

FYI there is no salary floor this year, there's an amount all teams combined must spend to be in compliance.

Yasgur's Farm
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evil

baalworship
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Worse today, not better. The overall talent is worse. If this was for a player who helps at a clear need I would have been fine because of the WR depth. But this was for money.

Evans wasn't a money move. I criticized the Bills trading Jason Peters because they were just too cheap. You pay left tackles.

Evans was more a combination of bad fit/ wanting to play younger receivers. Gailey himself kept saying how unhappy he was with Evans overall game. Gailey is running the offense and this came from him.

Evans will do better in Baltimore as he will be across from Boldin and has a stronger armed quarterback. But I expect whoever the Bills plug in as a #2 to do fine. My money is on Jones.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
This team is no worse nor no better today.

This was a 4 win team with Lee, it'll be a 4 win team without him.

Hopefully that 4th round pick is used on someone who contributes next year or is packaged in a trade to get someone.

FYI there is no salary floor this year, there's an amount all teams combined must spend to be in compliance.I'm well aware, the cap floor starts in 2013.

We are absolutely worse as far as overall talent. There is no logic in saying anything else.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evilThen the Bills are the root of all evil because they clearly love their money. They don't love to win.

They are the anti-Pegula.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Evans wasn't a money move. I criticized the Bills trading Jason Peters because they were just too cheap. You pay left tackles.

Evans was more a combination of bad fit/ wanting to play younger receivers. Gailey himself kept saying how unhappy he was with Evans overall game. Gailey is running the offense and this came from him.

Evans will do better in Baltimore as he will be across from Boldin and has a stronger armed quarterback. But I expect whoever the Bills plug in as a #2 to do fine. My money is on Jones.B.S.

There was no sense in this move unless it was for money. If your unhappy with his game, you can bench him. If you want to start other guys, you can bench him. The only reason you trade him is to get a pick from money you want off your payroll.

baalworship
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
B.S.

There was no sense in this move unless it was for money. If your unhappy with his game, you can bench him. If you want to start other guys, you can bench him. The only reason you trade him is to get a pick from money you want off your payroll.

Why bench him and get nothing for him AND pay him a zillion dollars a year? If you have a young player who the coaching staff thinks is close to a veteran on a rebuilding team you do exactly what the Bills did.

Pocket a pick and play the youngster.

tampabay25690
08-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Donald Jones. Jones and Fitz have great chemistry and I think there's a good chance Jones is the number #2.

He was traded because he just doen't fit with the sytem Chan runs.
It is so obvious that he is NO LONGER the go to guy....

**** David Nelson is the go to guy over Lee....

baalworship
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM

**** David Nelson is the go to guy over Lee....

It's between Jones and Nelson for the #2 opposite Stevie.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Why bench him and get nothing for him AND pay him a zillion dollars a year? If you have a young player who the coaching staff thinks is close to a veteran on a rebuilding team you do exactly what the Bills did.

Pocket a pick and play the youngster.Because I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet. Don't argue money with me on a 4 and 12 team that's 20+ mill under the cap. I don't care about the money. The overall talent is better with him on the team. Right now it's worse without him.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM

**** David Nelson is the go to guy over Lee....Move him down the depth chart then. You trade him to get a pick and save money. Money is why the did this.

tampabay25690
08-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Because I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet. Don't argue money with me on a 4 and 12 team that's 20+ mill under the cap. I don't care about the money. The overall talent is better with him on the team. Right now it's worse without him.

X I agree with you.
I dont dwell on things that happened I always look in the future....
But there must have been something else going on behind scenes that we don't or will ever know.......
I really think Lee wanted out....
I havent been to camp but from what I was hearing Lee looked not interested out there......Maybe some of the guys that have been to camp can say thats true or not.....

tampabay25690
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Move him down the depth chart then. You trade him to get a pick and save money. Money is why the did this.

probably yes.....
Why keep dwelling on it.
It's over and we move on, weather we like it or not we are still Bills fans......
I guess we are just use to this crap by now.......

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
probably yes.....
Why keep dwelling on it.
It's over and we move on, weather we like it or not we are still Bills fans......
I guess we are just use to this crap by now.......I'm used to it. But I'm also fed up with it. I'm so sick of this team not doing enough to win. I'm so tired of status quo it's ridiculous. This one pissed me off. Sorry guys. I'll get over it. It's Friday and the stores have beer.

psubills62
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evil
All kinds of evil.

tampabay25690
08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm used to it. But I'm also fed up with it. I'm so sick of this team not doing enough to win. I'm so tired of status quo it's ridiculous. This one pissed me off. Sorry guys. I'll get over it. It's Friday and the stores have beer.

I hear you man...........But
There is nothing 1 of us can do on this board Lee Evans is a Raven and we got a 4th round pick for it......

X-Era
08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Actually... The verse says the "love of money" is the root of all evilFixed it and it actually works better, thanks.

alohabillsfan
08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Thank God we have another Lee Evans Thread! I was really hoping to have another one! Thanks!

kingJofNYC
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
No, it really wasn't, especially since they paid the bonus. They paid 1.5m for a 4th round pick.

They didn't want to cut any of the young receivers, they'd rather see what they have with them than a 30 year old receiver on the back side of his career. It wasn't about money, but developing present talent.

We weren't winning this year, ie playoffs. Are we better than the Pats/Jets? No.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
No, it really wasn't, especially since they paid the bonus. They paid 1.5m for a 4th round pick.

They didn't want to cut any of the young receivers, they'd rather see what they have with them than a 30 year old receiver on the back side of his career. It wasn't about money, but developing present talent.

We weren't winning this year, ie playoffs. Are we better than the Pats/Jets? No.We saved 5 mill with this move.

kingJofNYC
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
We saved 5 mill with this move.

Of course we did, but money wasn't the main motivation behind this move. If they wanted to save money they would have cut him with Stroud, and saved the bonus they paid out. Your mind is already made up on this point, no use in belaboring it.

This must be rough for you though, you deluded yourself into believing that the Bills would be forced to comply with a floor and would go out and spend. Reality sucks.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Thank God we have another Lee Evans Thread! I was really hoping to have another one! Thanks!I'm sorry you're unhappy.

Today the Bills traded Lee Evans and many fans are ticked.

I did find a solution for you though:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6jlMPv0lifU/TkWYo8cmHvI/AAAAAAAAAKA/O1KUZGNeuL8/Log%252520out.jpg

unpaid_bills
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I think a combination of $, his inconsistency and age. However, we cant continue to trade, release, not sign our #1 picks, so-called "stars" I get they have some good young guys in the mix, but Evans was a solid contributor, good guy in the locker room, community. His numbers were down mainly cause of the offense, play calling and he was being double teamed on most plays. Not an excuse all the elite receivers are getting that every play.

I dont like the move, but understand, I am optimistic but if we finish 9-7, 8-8 that would surprise everyone. They will likely struggle again, Lee was going to walk at the end of his contract.

Too bad to lose another good guy on the team.

kelly2reed4six
08-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't care how bad I sound by saying this........but the day Ralphie dies will be one of the best days in my life!

PromoTheRobot
08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
This deal had absolutely nothing to do with salary. Evans made over 80% of his contract already. They traded him because they wanted to get something for a player they wanted to clear to make room for younger WRs.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
We saved 5 mill with this move.

$5M over 3 years?? Didn't we pay him like $50M already?

PTR

X-Era
08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
This deal had absolutely nothing to do with salary. Evans made over 80% of his contract already. They traded him because they wanted to get something for a player they wanted to clear to make room for younger WRs.

PTRThey had no need to do that unless it was about money and getting a pick instead of cutting him to get the money and getting nothing in return.

4 and 12 teams shouldn't be clearing the room for unproven players.

Money. That was the main driver here.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
$5M over 3 years?? Didn't we pay him like $50M already?

PTRNo. 5 mill this year. 3.5 base and 1.5 bonus.

It's money related when you want to extend another player and must find the money to do it to keep your budget the same.

cookie G
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe, but I'm also developing a sneaking feeling that this is another method of Buddy to put his stamp on his team.

If nothing else, it clears the way for his former draft bust, Buster Davis, with a shot at redemption.

mjt328
08-12-2011, 05:00 PM
You might be right. This move makes virtually no sense from any other standpoint.

If the Bills really wanted to win, they would spend the maximum it takes EVERY single year in order to stay competitive. They would keep talented players instead of trading them for worthless draft picks.

The Bills keep using the "rebuilding" excuse in order to:
1) Let veteran talent walk in free agency
2) Ignore other veteran talent in free agency
3) Dump veteran salaries for draft picks

Who cares if Lee Evans wasn't worth his salary. The Bills are WAY under the salary cap.
He was valuable as a deep threat. We have other receivers, but nobody on the team that provides that threat. If Nelson, Jones, Easley need more playing time - that doesn't mean to get rid of the starter. This makes our team worse.
A fourth round pick has a small chance of contributing. And considering this pick is from Baltimore, it will likely be closer to the fifth round.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 05:02 PM
You might be right. This move makes virtually no sense from any other standpoint.

If the Bills really wanted to win, they would spend the maximum it takes EVERY single year in order to stay competitive. They would keep talented players instead of trading them for worthless draft picks.

The Bills keep using the "rebuilding" excuse in order to:
1) Let veteran talent walk in free agency
2) Ignore other veteran talent in free agency
3) Dump veteran salaries for draft picks

Who cares if Lee Evans wasn't worth his salary. The Bills are WAY under the salary cap.
He was valuable as a deep threat. We have other receivers, but nobody on the team that provides that threat. If Nelson, Jones, Easley need more playing time - that doesn't mean to get rid of the starter. This makes our team worse.
A fourth round pick has a small chance of contributing. And considering this pick is from Baltimore, it will likely be closer to the fifth round.:clap:

It's not a clear plan to get better. It's not a clear way to get better from all phases.

Mr. Pink
08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
:clap:

It's not a clear plan to get better. It's not a clear way to get better from all phases.

Getting young guys involved and developing them isn't a clear plan to get better while jettisoning an overrated overpaid bum to do so?

If you don't think we're gonna replace 37 catches 500 yards and 4 TDs you're high.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Getting young guys involved and developing them isn't a clear plan to get better while jettisoning an overrated overpaid bum to do so?

If you don't think we're gonna replace 37 catches 500 yards and 4 TDs you're high.Playing the lottery is not a plan to become rich. It's a dollar and a dream.

It's not a clear plan. Could work, and may work, but it's not a clear path.

justasportsfan
08-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Fitz doesn't have the arm to take advantage of a speedster like Lee. Plus Chan likes taller wrs

BillsFever21
08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
The love of money is the root of all evil and it is the root of our problem.

That's why this team has been a joke and a laughing stock of the league for the past decade.

Evans isn't a great player and could have handled trading him if it was for what would be a late second/early 3rd round pick at worst but to trade him for a 4th round pick that will turn into being a late round pick since the Ravens are a good team is just plain stupid.

The Bills never make good trade. Just another first round draft pick traded for a low round draft pick like the rest of them. Then we will probably use a 2nd round pick next year to try and replace him.

Like I said, Evans wasn't great but he was decent and helps our team and for a 4th round pick it's not worth losing his production and leadership in the locker room for this season. Then again this team hasn't missed the playoffs for over a decade straight because they make good decisions so it's not surprising.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
What's this obsession with insisting the team's goal is to stay 20mil under the cap?

Did somebody within the organization allude to it in some manner, or is it just a convenient/timely number pulled out of the ass?

X-Era
08-12-2011, 07:31 PM
What's this obsession with insisting the team's goal is to stay 20mil under the cap?

Did somebody within the organization allude to it in some manner, or is it just a convenient/timely number pulled out of the ass?Stating the truth. It's what we do.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Stating the truth. It's what we do.

You know this to be the 'truth' how?

X-Era
08-12-2011, 07:36 PM
You know this to be the 'truth' how?The math is all out there. I've charted most of it. That's the way we operate.

justasportsfan
08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Stating the truth. It's what we do.
no its not. Thats an assumption

YardRat
08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
The math is all out there. I've charted most of it. That's the way we operate.

Really? You've got verified figures that show that the team has been consistently operating at 20mil below the salary cap?

I'd love to see those charts if you're willing to re-post them.

Buffalogic
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Evans is a 30 yr old receiver thats coming off two straight below average seasons. How much would you pay for that? I wouldn't be thrilled to dish out 5 mil for that either. We should have gotten more in return, but I understand the bills deciding to move on.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
no its not. Thats an assumptionNo it's not. I have shown the homework here before.

82 mill (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article493165.ece)in salary coming into this off season.

4 mill per for Barnett
5 mill per for Florence
3.75 mill per for B Smith
3 mill per for Thigpen
5 for Dareus, maybe 8 spent for the draft picks

Just added 5 mill back by trading Evans

Were at around 100-101 mill right now.

The cap is at 123

I've done some homework here, if you have other information I'd like to see it.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 08:09 PM
No it's not. I have shown the homework here before.

82 mill (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article493165.ece)in salary coming into this off season.

4 mill per for Barnett
5 mill per for Florence
3.75 mill per for B Smith
3 mill per for Thigpen
5 for Dareus, maybe 8 spent for the draft picks

Just added 5 mill back by trading Evans

Were at around 100-101 mill right now.

The cap is at 123

I've done some homework here, if you have other information I'd like to see it.

:rofl:

So now a single set of figures from the beginning of this season, current to prior to the first preseason game, is 'proof' that 20mil under the cap is the team goal and 'how we operate'?

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
:rofl:

So now a single set of figures from the beginning of this season, current to prior to the first preseason game, is 'proof' that 20mil under the cap is the team goal and 'how we operate'?Plus several years of staying 20+ mill under the cap before. Were you asleep for the past 5 years? :rofl:

If you have alternate data, show it.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
2009- 101 mill, 20+ mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/02/27/billszones_2009_salary_cap_page.php

2008- 108 mill, 20+ mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

2007- 92 mill, 20 mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2007/01/29/billszones_2007_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

PromoTheRobot
08-12-2011, 08:23 PM
No. 5 mill this year. 3.5 base and 1.5 bonus.

It's money related when you want to extend another player and must find the money to do it to keep your budget the same.

Yeah but they paid Evans almost $30M already. So all of a sudden we had to save $5M? PUH-LEEZE!

PTR

YardRat
08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Plus several years of staying 20+ mill under the cap before. Were you asleep for the past 5 years? :rofl:

If you have alternate data, show it.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

7.8mil under the cap, mid-season 2009, the last year there was a cap.

Prior to signing or re-signing...

LB Ryan Manalac - Signed off practice squad - 1/2 http://billsdaily.com/images/updated.gif
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif OT Nick Hennessey - Signed off practice squad - 1/1 http://billsdaily.com/images/updated.gif
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif LB Josh Stamer - Released - 11/19; Signed 12/23
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif QB Gibran Hamdan - Released - 11/19; Re-Signed 12/22
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif TE Joe Klopfenstein - Signed - 11/18; Released 11/28; Re-Signed 12/7; Released 12/17; Re-Signed 12/18
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif OG Richie Incognito - Signed off waivers - 12/16
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif OT Andre Ramsey - Signed off practice squad - 12/11
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif OG Christian Gaddis - Signed off of practice squad - 11/25
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif OG Kendall Simmons - Signed - 11/24
http://billsdaily.com/images/blueball.gif QB Brian Brohm - Signed - 11/19

...before the end of the cap year.

http://billsdaily.com/frontoffice/2009.shtml

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah but they paid Evans almost $30M already. So all of a sudden we had to save $5M? PUH-LEEZE!

PTRYour argument is a different argument. This is about them keeping themselves at a certain total salary level which is way below the cap. If you operate that way, you would have to cut a player to extend a player. That's what they did and that's why it was about money.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 08:28 PM
2009- 101 mill, 20+ mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/02/27/billszones_2009_salary_cap_page.php

2008- 108 mill, 20+ mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

2007- 92 mill, 20 mill under by Clump's numbers:

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2007/01/29/billszones_2007_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

Pretty sure (by the dates, anyway) that those figures are from the beginning of each season, not the end.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure (by the dates, anyway) that those figures are from the beginning of each season, not the end.Please. We don't spend up to the cap, we never have and by a lot.

20+ mill right now left unspent on a 4 and 12 team and we just made a move to shed even more.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Actually, I'm positive, considering the 2009 chart doesn't contain any figures for Fitzpatrick, Florence, TO or Hangartner (signed as FA's).

It also doesn't include Jackson's new deal.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Cap numbers are different from cash spent, and the Bills actually have spent more in recent years. They did spend very little in 2010, but the year-to-year payrolls (cash spent on players) are available on USAToday's website:

LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/team/2009)

If you look at it, the Bills ranked by year:

2000 - 16th in payroll
2001 - 28th
2002 - 22nd
2003 - 25th
2004 - 19th
2005 - 17th
2006 - 30th
2007 - 4th
2008 - 16th
2009 - 13th

The numbers for 2010 aren't up yet, but the Bils reportedly spent near the bottom on the league.

They have had years where they spent some money, and overall they have been in the bottom half of the league for 2000 - 2009 in cash spent. They spent the 5th least amount (on average, Houston didn't have a team until 2002). The 4 teams that have spent less than them during that time are Tampa Bay, Green Bay, San Francisco and Kansas City.

However, it really isn't a big deal to go cheap if you spend the money when needed. I would suggest their problem is more who they spent the money on and now how much. If they funnel the money into keeping their young core players as they develop a team, then it is OK to cut a guy like Evans and save the cash. The judgement will be who else on the team gets paid.

YardRat
08-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Please. We don't spend up to the cap, we never have and by a lot.

20+ mill right now left unspent on a 4 and 12 team and we just made a move to shed even more.

Nice editing job...What happened to "The end of one is the beginning of the other'?

You're actually going to stand an argument on figures taken prior to any free agent signings?

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Cap numbers are different from cash spent, and the Bills actually have spent more in recent years. They did spend very little in 2010, but the year-to-year payrolls (cash spent on players) are available on USAToday's website:

LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/team/2009)

If you look at it, the Bills ranked by year:

2000 - 16th in payroll
2001 - 28th
2002 - 22nd
2003 - 25th
2004 - 19th
2005 - 17th
2006 - 30th
2007 - 4th
2008 - 16th
2009 - 13th

The numbers for 2010 aren't up yet, but the Bils reportedly spent near the bottom on the league.

They have had years where they spent some money, and overall they have been in the bottom half of the league for 2000 - 2009 in cash spent. They spent the 5th least amount (on average, Houston didn't have a team until 2002). The 4 teams that have spent less than them during that time are Tampa Bay, Green Bay, San Francisco and Kansas City.

However, it really isn't a big deal to go cheap if you spend the money when needed. I would suggest their problem is more who they spent the money on and now how much. If they funnel the money into keeping their young core players as they develop a team, then it is OK to cut a guy like Evans and save the cash. The judgement will be who else on the team gets paid.20+ mill was how far under the cap they stay. Cash is a different situation. They don't spend up to the cap. They don't act like the Pats, they choose not to compete in this phase.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
20+ mill was how far under the cap they stay. Cash is a different situation. They don't spend up to the cap. They don't act like the Pats, they choose not to compete in this phase.

Actually, if you look at the numbers, the Pats spent the 8th least in that same time period. They had years where they spent pretty big (2007), but usually didn't spend a lot. I do think they spent some money in 2010 and so far this year, mainly in offering large contract extensions to come key players (Wilfork, Brady, Mankins). However, traditionally the Pats have not been big FA spenders, preferring more value buys. They actually let some big-ticket guys (Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour) go rather than pay them for their big 3rd contract. They do use more incentives than most teams, which has been charged cap-wise the following year.

X-Era
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Actually, if you look at the numbers, the Pats spent the 8th least in that same time period. They had years where they spent pretty big (2007), but usually didn't spend a lot. I do think they spent some money in 2010 and so far this year, mainly in offering large contract extensions to come key players (Wilfork, Brady, Mankins). However, traditionally the Pats have not been big FA spenders, preferring more value buys. They actually let some big-ticket guys (Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour) go rather than pay them for their big 3rd contract. They do use more incentives than most teams, which has been charged cap-wise the following year.I'm talking about this year. They re-signed their own, signed new guys, and traded for highly thought of players as well. And all for a perennial playoff team.

Ickybaluky
08-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm talking about this year. They re-signed their own, signed new guys, and traded for highly thought of players as well. And all for a perennial playoff team.

This year does have a a "going for it" feel. I think last year was a year to play the young guys and bring them along. They hit big in the draft last 2 years (Pat Chung, Sebastian Vollmer, Myron Pryor, Julian Edelman, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko) and added several good undrafted guys (BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Brian Hoyer, Kyle Love, Dane Fletcher). They even found Woodhead on the waiver wire.

With all the young guys they added coming along so quickly, Belichick's strategy was to lock up his core and save cap room to bring in some veteran FA who can shore up their weaknesses for a title run on short-term contracts. Ocho-Cinco, Haynesworth, Ellis, Carter, Mark Anderson are all guys here to win now, because the young guys have played so well.

Mahdi
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Of course it was because of money. Partially anyway and justifiably so. Evans is not worth the money he is making. People don't want to believe that because he is a class act.

Fact is, Peters was worth 10 mil per, Evans is not worth 8 mil per though.

Buffalogic
08-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Evans is a 30 yr old receiver thats coming off two straight below average seasons. How much would you pay for that? I wouldn't be thrilled to dish out 5 mil for that either. We should have gotten more in return, but I understand the bills deciding to move on.Good post run over by whiney, uniformed banter.