• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

How many wins is Evans worth?

For everyone complaining that the Evans trade means the Bills aren't committed to winning...how many wins is he worth? Did we go from being a 4-win team to a 3-win? Is he worth 1 win or 10? How many wins did he get us last year?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Slim
    • Apr 2004

Re: How many wins is Evans worth?

Is WAR a stat in football as it is in Baseball? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

With him keeping defenses honest on every offensive play, I'd say he's worth at least 2-3 wins.

Comment

• wmoz11
        • Sep 2008

The only thing keeping me level-headed (at least somewhat) about this is the fact that they must really, really like Jones and Easley (in addition to Nelson) as far as the young guys go.

It'll be, at the very least, exciting watching new guys grow up together into big roles.

To answer your question, I think we lack someone that can at least threaten the field vertically. Easley might be able to, but he can't even stay healthy yet.

That being said, I don't think he's worth even a win one way or the other if last year is any indication.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
          For everyone complaining that the Evans trade means the Bills aren't committed to winning...how many wins is he worth? Did we go from being a 4-win team to a 3-win? Is he worth 1 win or 10? How many wins did he get us last year?
          I could see two more losses without him. Stevie will be double teamed and the O won't be able to score enough points against really tough teams.

Put it this way, the offense overall could be worse so unless the defense is that much better to make up the difference, it will mean a few losses.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
            With him keeping defenses honest on every offensive play, I'd say he's worth at least 2-3 wins.
            So you think if we subtracted Evans from our team last year we'd have had 1-2 wins? That's an enormous amount of wins for one player, in my opinion.
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by X-Era
              I could see two more losses without him. Stevie will be double teamed and the O won't be able to score enough points against really tough teams.

Put it this way, the offense overall could be worse so unless the defense is that much better to make up the difference, it will mean a few losses.
              So last year Evans was double teamed and Stevie broke out. What makes you think Steve being double teamed won't allow someone else to break out?
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Determining how many wins each player is worth in this total team sport is completely out of touch and irrelevant. There is no way to put a number on an added dimension Evans gives to the team.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

So last year Evans was double teamed and Stevie broke out. What makes you think Steve being double teamed won't allow someone else to break out?
                  Dollar and a dream? Maybe that works, maybe not. I can only react to right now and right now we are worse.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Determining how many wins each player is worth in this total team sport is completely out of touch and irrelevant. There is no way to put a number on an added dimension Evans gives to the team.
                    Agreed. It's just a shot in the dark. But still something I was willing to try.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Maybe, maybe not. If people are going to complain that the Bills aren't committed to winning, then it would be nice to know how many wins they think Evans is worth. If they're going to have the same number of wins either way, then I don't think you can say that OBD isn't committed to winning.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                        • Sep 2008

How many wins is Evans Worth? Well that depends on a few things. Can Roscoe stay healthy? Is Stevie Johnson as good as he thinks, or we think he can be? is our receiving game going to be good enough to stop defenses from stacking 8 in the box again which will nullify our running game? Can Gailey get the locker room back after losing one of its veteran leaders, one every player on the team had enormous amounts of respect for? These all need to be answered before we know how damaging the Lee Evans trade may be in my opinion.
                        Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 08-12-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                          How many wins is Evans Worth? Well that depends on a few things. Can Roscoe stay healthy? Is Stevie Johnson as good as he thinks, or we think he can be? is our receiving game going to be good enough to stop defenses from stacking 8 in the box again which will nullify our running game? Can Gailey get the locker room back after losing one of its veteran leaders, one every player on the team had enormous amounts of respect for? These all need to be answered before we know how damaging the Lee Evans trade may be in my opinion.
                          We didn't have any of those questions yesterday.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Last year 2 of their 4 wins were without Evans.

They went .200 with him and .500 without him.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                              And if Evans had stayed, we could put a couple more questions out there: will Evans be able to stay healthy the whole time (he missed games last year for the first time in a long time), and is he even a fit in Gailey's offense? Will we be able to get the ball to him on deep routes with a crappy OL?

Here's a good measure. Vegas put the O/U at 5.5 wins for us this year before Evans was traded. If we get 4 or fewer wins, I'd say people have a case that Evans cost us some wins. Otherwise, it was about what was expected.
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X