PDA

View Full Version : Why Bills Should Have Drafted Mallet

Mike
08-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Had him as my favorite QB of the Draft. Pure passer, great are, etc.... He is showing why the Pats drafted him and some are already calling the STEAL OF THE DRAFT. Hope that his fades, otherwise it will be another 10yrs of Pats Domination...

BILLS SHOUHD HAVE DRAFTED HIM. HELL, I WOULD BE DOING A MUCH BETTER JOB THAN THIS FO....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821688d6/article/mallett-kolb-among-qbs-who-shined-in-preseason-debut?module=HP11_content_stream

Mr. Miyagi
08-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Steal of the draft already? Based on 16 snaps?

Wait till he actually plays 2 cleanup duty games in the regular season. He'll be a Hall of Famer.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Wait till he actually plays 2 cleanup duty games in the regular season. He'll be a Hall of Famer.Exactly, the guy plays on one the best teams in the league in a small part of a preseason game and now has supplanted the rest of the prospects as the guy everyone should have drafted.

YardRat
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Had him as my favorite QB of the Draft.

Well, I'm sure if Buddy had know that up front he would have been more accommodating.

TacklingDummy
Exactly, the guy plays on one the best teams in the league in a small part of a preseason game and now has supplanted the rest of the prospects as the guy everyone should have drafted.
I wonder what your opinion would be if it was Gabbert.

better days
There was not a question about Malletts skill set coming out of college. The questions regarding him involve his character & personality. For example, he failed to show up for a scheduled interview with Carolina before the draft with no explanation.

Extremebillsfan247
08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Had him as my favorite QB of the Draft. Pure passer, great are, etc.... He is showing why the Pats drafted him and some are already calling the STEAL OF THE DRAFT. Hope that his fades, otherwise it will be another 10yrs of Pats Domination...

BILLS SHOUHD HAVE DRAFTED HIM. HELL, I WOULD BE DOING A MUCH BETTER JOB THAN THIS FO....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821688d6/article/mallett-kolb-among-qbs-who-shined-in-preseason-debut?module=HP11_content_stream He is with the Patriots. They can make a turd look good playing QB. It's all Bill Belichick. Just ask Matt Cassel. Using a preseason game performance as a means to say a rookie is the steal of the draft is an overreaction and that may be an understatement.

As an example, go back and look at how good Spiller looked last year for the Bills in preseason. Even better, look at the success Trent Edwards use to have in preseason. My point is that preseason games mean nothing. All Mallet proved after the first preseason game is that he can probably play at the NFL level. It still doesn't mean he is going to succeed when it counts. JMO

Johnny Bugmenot
08-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Wait till he actually plays 2 cleanup duty games in the regular season. He'll be a Hall of Famer.
Hey, just remember. Brian Brohm couldn't pull off a single touchdown in two cleanup duty games.

I still maintain that passing up Mallett in the second, and even the third, was a mistake. Not that he'll see much action any time soon (after all, Brady's contract doesn't run out until 2015), but he's starting to show how well he can play.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I wonder what your opinion would be if it was Gabbert.The same.

Ebenezer
08-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Mallett....so much talent....so little playing time.

better days
08-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Mallett....so much talent....so little playing time.

If Fitz does not pan out, I would rather the Bills sign Josh Johnson next year instead of Mallett myself. He is the type of QB Chan could make good use of. He will be a FA next year & would be a starter now if the Bucs didn't have a QB as good as Freeman.

Ebenezer
08-13-2011, 04:59 PM
If Fitz does not pan out, I would rather the Bills sign Josh Johnson next year instead of Mallett myself. He is the type of QB Chan could make good use of. He will be a FA next year & would be a starter now if the Bucs didn't have a QB as good as Freeman.
If Fitz doesn't pan out it won't matter. Gailey will have one more year after this to show anything. If Fitz and the team tank then what is going to happen in year three of Chan to prevent his firing? Picking up a QB to fit Gailey's system in a lame-duck year would be counter productive.

baalworship
08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Mallet will look great throwing to receivers in a practice. During an actual NFL game with a pass-rush I expect him to look bad in the pocket like he did in college.

CoolBreeze
08-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Mallet will be like Kolb.... have a career game once, and the Pats will come out with a 1st rd pick for him. Bank on it.

better days
08-13-2011, 05:11 PM
If Fitz doesn't pan out it won't matter. Gailey will have one more year after this to show anything. If Fitz and the team tank then what is going to happen in year three of Chan to prevent his firing? Picking up a QB to fit Gailey's system in a lame-duck year would be counter productive.

Why? If Fitz does not pan out the Bills must win next year anyway for Chan to keep his job as you said. Johnson would probably be his best option at QB to win NOW & I doubt he would cost any more than Fitz did when he signed.

tampabay25690
08-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Why do people always dwell on the past???
We didnt draft him why bother making a thread why we should have???

Mr. Pink
08-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Swell Mallet went out and busted on 3rd string nobodies so we should have drafted him! Will there be a Tyler Thigpen for starting QB thread at around 9:30 when he does the same?

better days
08-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Swell Mallet went out and busted on 3rd string nobodies so we should have drafted him! Will there be a Tyler Thigpen for starting QB thread at around 9:30 when he does the same?

Hell no. Why wait. I want Thigpen to start NOW. Trade Fitz for a 4th or 5th rnd pick. Fitz is a one trick pony & Thigpen in younger.

X-Era
08-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Colt McCoy is marching on the SB champs so I guess we screwed up on him too...

Check it TD...

Mr. Pink
08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Colt McCoy is marching on the SB champs so I guess we screwed up on him too...

Check it TD...

McCoy 9/10 135 1 TD.

Hall of Fame here he comes!

Novacane
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Despite the difficulty in finding quality young quarterbacks, it seems the Patriots have picked up a franchise quarterback with their third-round pick.

:roflmao: Four series against 2nd string defense and he's a franchise QB????? :rofl:

Mike
08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Well You Guys Ridiculed me for Calling Maybin a Flop without "proof". I think Mallet will be very good, not Tom Brady good, but very good.

Mike
08-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Its an Opinion thread... him being good and showing something is my opinion.

Mike
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
There was not a question about Malletts skill set coming out of college. The questions regarding him involve his character & personality. For example, he failed to show up for a scheduled interview with Carolina before the draft with no explanation.

You know Cam Newton had similar question regarding his character/personality and he went #1 overall.

Mike
08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Compared to some of the other rookie QB thus far, he looks best. Dolton looks like a kid back there, haven't seen the others.

Novacane
08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Maybe he will. Time will tell. I'm not laughing at you. The writer calling him a franchise QB is stupid at this point!

X-Era
08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Its an Opinion thread... him being good and showing something is my opinion.Fair enough. And you are entitled to it. As a draft fan who touts prospects, I can understand your take. But as a draft fan who has been following for a while I can also say that it can take years to get the final verdict.

Prov401
08-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Jocked Mallett all year last year.

The kid is going to be really good in this leauge. His touch is sick. Unfortunately, he will get the Pats another first round pick.

Only QB I wanted in this draft.

Mr. Pink
08-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Locker looked good too...should we have drafted him?

k-oneputt
08-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Mallett, nah...we'll go with Thigpen and Levi.

If fitz goes down this team is ****ed.

DraftBoy
08-13-2011, 10:20 PM

To be fair there was an explanation for the missed meeting. According to Mallett he was sick with a stomach bug.

Figster
08-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Chan Gailey is one of the best QB guru's in the league and it makes zero sense not to give him a good young QB prospect to start grooming. Ryan Mallet was available at a steal and should have been drafted in my opinion.

Most people had a good prospect in mind in the 2011 draft and my biggest problem is we didn't draft anyone.

better days
08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
To be fair there was an explanation for the missed meeting. According to Mallett he was sick with a stomach bug.

If I remember correctly, he did not let them know about that until AFTER the meeting was missed.

better days
08-14-2011, 11:29 AM
You know Cam Newton had similar question regarding his character/personality and he went #1 overall.

As did Claussen the year before, also picked by the Cats.

Extremebillsfan247
08-14-2011, 02:54 PM
You know Cam Newton had similar question regarding his character/personality and he went #1 overall.Cam Newton had a good first game. I was impressed by his mobility, pocket awareness, and arm strength. Not bad for a first game. Took a couple of sacks, but overall he looked like an NFL QB. JMO

JCBills
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821688d6/article/mallett-kolb-among-qbs-who-shined-in-preseason-debut?module=HP11_content_stream

So we should have drafted Mallet because he was your favorite? K.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-14-2011, 04:12 PM
If I remember correctly, he did not let them know about that until AFTER the meeting was missed.
As if he was supposed to know he would have had a stomach bug before he had it? Wouldn't that have made it more suspicious?

Philagape
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey you know who had a better debut than Mallett or Locker?

Marcell Dareus.

TonyIncredible
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
At this rate I would of wanted to draft mathew stafford with the direction he has the lions going in

Ginger Vitis
08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
At this rate I would of wanted to draft mathew stafford with the direction he has the lions going in

Too bad Matthew Stafford wasn't available when the Bills picked 11th in 2009

Night Train
08-14-2011, 06:40 PM

HE LASTED UNTIL ROUND 3 BECAUSE HE CHOKED LIKE A DOG NUMEROUS TIMES (TURNOVERS) WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE IN THE 4TH QUARTER !

THIS IS WHY EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL PASSED ON HIM TWICE AND MANY 3 TIMES. BEING AN IMMATURE DOLT ONLY ADDED TO IT.

OMG! I CAN'T STOP TYPING IN CAPS. SOMEONE CALL MY PHARMACIST !

TonyIncredible
08-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Too bad Matthew Stafford wasn't available when the Bills picked 11th in 2009

Well if DJ was smart he could of wheeled and dealed. Instead we got another RB that isn't here anymore. Oh well those are the bricks...

better days
08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
As if he was supposed to know he would have had a stomach bug before he had it? Wouldn't that have made it more suspicious?

Once "he had it" he should have called. I don't know about you, but every place I have worked, or any appontment I have had, I have called in to let them know I was sick & would not be in. I did not leave them hanging wondering where I was.

Ickybaluky
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I guess this thread can be tabled for a while. Mallett still has a way to go...

mayotm
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I guess this thread can be tabled for a while. Mallett still has a way to go...At least until next week. If Mallet plays well in the next pre-season game, there will be numerous threads about how the Bills screwed up by not taking him.

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Just my guess but I think he might have more upside then Levi Brown. What do you guys think ?

DraftBoy
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM

That's the disputed fact, his agent and he say they told Carolina the morning of. Unnamed sources say it was after. Either way he did not just blow off the meeting.

mayotm
08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Just my guess but I think he might have more upside then Levi Brown. What do you guys think ?Who is debating that? The question is can Mallet be a solid starter some day. That's debatable and numerous teams passed on him three times.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Just my guess but I think he might have more upside then Levi Brown. What do you guys think ?

Levi Brown ain't even gonna make the team...so no s*** Sherlock Mallet has more upside.

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Levi Brown ain't even gonna make the team...so no s*** Sherlock Mallet has more upside.

Thanks for playing.

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Who is debating that? The question is can Mallet be a solid starter some day. That's debatable and numerous teams passed on him three times.

You are right we don't know yet, but the talent is there and I think he has a better shot then Brown and Thigpen.

Ickybaluky
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
At least until next week. If Mallet plays well in the next pre-season game, there will be numerous threads about how the Bills screwed up by not taking him.

He won't play much next week. The starters will play into the 2nd half, and Hoyer needs the work. He will get some play in the 4th preseason game, but he is pretty firmly cemented into the 3rd QB slot.

Philagape
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM

That's a great standard for spending a high draft pick.

Blogabills
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
At least until next week. If Mallet plays well in the next pre-season game, there will be numerous threads about how the Bills screwed up by not taking him.

I was thinking more until "however many seasons down the road he starts playing."

I mean, how many times have we heard not to get too excited about our own team because it's "just" preseason?

I agree it was impressive but let's not forget the Patriots has a beast of a squad, and there's no reason to think that Belichick doesn't believe in having depth at each position, so the fact that Mallet and some #2s would destroy another team's 2's (say, ours) isn't all that surprising.

And, there have been guys who have looked good in preseason but couldn't necessarily pull it off in the regular season. He's got a great learning setup in NE, but he's also got a while to go before he gets the reins, and until he does, who will really know? By then we won't even *remember* these preseason games.

Blogabills
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Who is debating that? The question is can Mallet be a solid starter some day. That's debatable and numerous teams passed on him three times.

Exactly. One preseason game does not a success make.

Questions existed. Were they valid? We won't know for a while.

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, I absolutely flipped out in the bar I was watching the draft at when I saw the Bills passed on him in the 3rd. I wanted him badly at that spot.

But even I recognized questions existed. Nothing's been answered yet except, "how did Ryan Mallet play in his first preseason game?"

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Who exactly is our developmental qb ? That's what I thought.

There is a reason some teams always win and of course some don't.

malvado78
08-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Unfortunately right now it looks like Fitz is our developmental QB...

:(

better days
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Well, I was not very happy with the last QB picked in the 3rd rnd myself.

The Bills will most likely pick a QB in the next draft. The only question is who & how high. If Fitz proves to be a franchise QB which is unlikely, maybe the 2nd or 3rd rnd, if not, look for a QB to be drafted in the 1st.

mayotm
08-19-2011, 07:55 PM

There is a reason some teams always win and of course some don't.The reason being that take guys like Mallet???

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 09:34 PM
The reason being that take guys like Mallet???

What's wrong with Mallett as a developmental qb ?

Bert102176
08-19-2011, 09:39 PM
the Bills should of done a lot of things they could of but they didn't

better days
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
That's the disputed fact, his agent and he say they told Carolina the morning of. Unnamed sources say it was after. Either way he did not just blow off the meeting.

If he did not call until after, then yeah he blew off the meeting. Either way he missed an IMPORTANT meeting. This was just one example of his character. His character came into question well before the meeting he missed.

better days
08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
He won't play much next week. The starters will play into the 2nd half, and Hoyer needs the work. He will get some play in the 4th preseason game, but he is pretty firmly cemented into the 3rd QB slot.

A 3rd rnd pick cementing the 3rd QB slot, WOW, Now that is impressive.

Ickybaluky
08-20-2011, 08:54 AM
A 3rd rnd pick cementing the 3rd QB slot, WOW, Now that is impressive.

Not too surprising, though. Brian Hoyer is a very good player. He commands the offense, makes good reads and his a nice delivery.

Hoyer's development gives Mallet a year to work on his fundamentals. He already has shown a lot, but the Pats he has been staying after practice and receiving coaching, particularly related to his footwork. They can continue to drill him hard and maybe he can make a big jump next year. He has a lot of tools, and a lot of promise.

Hoyer is a RFA after this season and probably is a candidate to trade. He is good enough to help some team.

better days
08-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Not too surprising, though. Brian Hoyer is a very good player. He commands the offense, makes good reads and his a nice delivery.

Hoyer's development gives Mallet a year to work on his fundamentals. He already has shown a lot, but the Pats he has been staying after practice and receiving coaching, particularly related to his footwork. They can continue to drill him hard and maybe he can make a big jump next year. He has a lot of tools, and a lot of promise.

Hoyer is a RFA after this season and probably is a candidate to trade. He is good enough to help some team.

Yeah this is what the Pats* do, trade players with marginal ability for more than they are worth, then bring in the next guy.

Unlike the Bills who trade players with a lot of ability for less than they are worth.

And to all the Bills fans happy that Evans was traded for a 4th rnd pick, after only 6 days with the team, Evans picked up more yds yesterday than the rest of the Ravens starters combined.

And to everyone that called Evans a one trick pony, those yds came on 3 receptions where he ran 3 DIFFERENT routes, including a slant.

Miami_Vice
08-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I really wanted the Fins to draft Mallet as well. He has all the tools to be a damn good QB.

Rumor was that he was a big cokehead in college but so was Marino apparently lol