PDA

View Full Version : Our running game: How concerned our you?

baalworship
08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Going into the game I expected our running game to struggle. We have not been doing well in camp and that continued last night.

What really scares me is that we didn't even have backups that looked like they could do anything.

Is anyone else worried that this is what we will have opening day? Or it possible that the run blocking schemes will get better as the players get used to playing together?

tampabay25690
08-14-2011, 01:07 PM
What I saw maybe I watched a different game but are Running game wasn't that bad with are 1st teamers.....
CJ had a god run or 2, Freddy had a few nice runs.....White looks pretty good...
I not that worried but it always can get better....

Buddo
08-14-2011, 01:18 PM
White looked ok when he ran behind the starting O-Line on a couple of plays.
After that, he struggled manfully behind the backups, who were abysmal.

It's difficult really. I'm sure a few of those guys can come in and do a job if need be, with the starters - and a couple of them have already done so, with varying degrees of success. But as a whole other unit, they were collectively horrible.

To an extent, you could both expect and predict that, with no OTAs for the rookies, UDFAs, and it being what seems like a short rush into the 1st pre-season game from TC, but it doesn't bode well, at all, especially as we are already concerned about those guys capabilities.

BillsOverDolphins
08-14-2011, 01:21 PM
What I saw maybe I watched a different game but are Running game wasn't that bad with are 1st teamers.....
CJ had a god run or 2, Freddy had a few nice runs.....White looks pretty good...
I not that worried but it always can get better....

It looked like the same old same old, tbh.

YardRat
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
It looked like the same old same old, tbh.

Exactly.

Without upgrades, especially at the T's and RG, we'll probably see a repeat of last season...the occasional to rare decent blocking/gaping hole, but mostly barely adequate with the backs struggling to get into open space or to the second level without being pestered.

I thought CJ looked more like a 'real' RB in his couple of runs, though...head up, a little more patient, picking his hole and taking what he can get (instead of trying to out-run everybody to the sideline).

tampabay25690
08-14-2011, 03:24 PM
If we are talking 2nd and 3rd team then yes.
But the 1st team seemed to do a good job and open up some holes...

TonyIncredible
08-14-2011, 04:01 PM
didn't look to spectacular in my opinion. Freddy looked good as usual, spiller had a couple things going but was also getting spilled in the backfield (no pun intended)

Dujek
08-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Both the running and passing game looked fine behind the starting offensive line, it's what happens when the terrible back-ups are on the field that worries me.

Night Train
08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
I will be concerned if Fred Jackson goes down.

Spiller is a good change of pace guy and can be used in many ways but Jackson is still the horse.

chernobylwraiths
08-14-2011, 07:17 PM
LOL