X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Enough of Getting a Gap Guy to Finish 7-9

They are drafting people and play young guys. The only old guys that are expected to be here when we are legit contender are Flo and Barnett - and we have invested high picks in those positions even then.

To me, Nix and company are going to play the young guys within reason. They tried t get a pro ball caliber RT and failed. So they are staying with potential guys on the O-Line that they acquired. Likewise on WR position that they want to play young guys to let some emerge.

If the young guys emerge and the Bills doing better, so much better as there is less holes to fill. If they fail, well, Andrew Luck is not a bad compromise.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Enough of Getting a Gap Guy to Finish 7-9

If their strategy is to play young guys, please explain to me why they pissed away an entire year with Evans, Poz and Whitner taking a ton of snaps when they could have gotten something for these guys LAST year, and then our young guys would be much further along in their development.

I don't think it's their strategy at all to play young guys. They tried to re-sign Poz and failed. They tried to sign Clabo and failed. They could have traded Evans for more last year- hell, they might have even gotten more for him if they did it right when the lockout ended THIS year.

It seems to me that they were hoping to move forward with Poz, Evans and Clabo, and when they couldn't get Clabo or keep Poz, their fallback is "**** it, play the young guys." Admittedly, this is speculation on my part, but I can't think of any other reason why they would break the team down NOW instead of last year.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

Live snaps are great, but the practice is important as well. These young guys got a year into the system and should know the playbook. Now, they need to perform, not learn and perform. Hopefully.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        If their strategy is to play young guys, please explain to me why they pissed away an entire year with Evans, Poz and Whitner taking a ton of snaps when they could have gotten something for these guys LAST year, and then our young guys would be much further along in their development.

I don't think it's their strategy at all to play young guys. They tried to re-sign Poz and failed. They tried to sign Clabo and failed. They could have traded Evans for more last year- hell, they might have even gotten more for him if they did it right when the lockout ended THIS year.

It seems to me that they were hoping to move forward with Poz, Evans and Clabo, and when they couldn't get Clabo or keep Poz, their fallback is "**** it, play the young guys." Admittedly, this is speculation on my part, but I can't think of any other reason why they would break the team down NOW instead of last year.
        Isnt that the strategy you wanted? You went off for days saying screw it, let Poz go and lets just see what we have with the young guys

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

They're going with their best players, regardless of age. And it looks like they have some promising younger players to take over for the older guys. But they have to prove it first, as casdhf said.

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

And I don't think they went too hard after Poz, seeing how fast he bolted to Jax. Clabo they wanted but he didn't want to leave Atlanta as long as they gave him what he felt was a decent offer.

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

It is hardly failing when a $15mill LB signs somewhere else for $65 mill.
              "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

I think the strategy is to try and build a winning team over time without shelling out big bucks for veteran free agents who command high salaries. The Bills made an offer to Claybo, but they refrained from making him such a high paid player he was willing to leave the Falcons. In refraining from overpaying (in their mind) they are settling for a lesser player and hoping their rookie develops. Barnett was a value free agent, who happens to have a skill set that fits the 3-4 better than Poz did. He's older that Poz, but again, the Bills have some young guys they are hoping will develop. Merriman got a pretty good contract from the Bills, but not the contract the Bills would have to give a star player who wasn't damaged goods the way Merriman was regarded around the league.

All in all, I think it's probably a fairly smart way to go, but it may not be as quick a way to get better as we, the fans, would like.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                  Isnt that the strategy you wanted? You went off for days saying screw it, let Poz go and lets just see what we have with the young guys
                  And I said from the beginning that they should have gotten rid of Poz last year. The posts are there if you care to look them up.

IMO they pissed away a whole year of rebuilding and their actions show an utter lack of any plan or direction.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                    They're going with their best players, regardless of age. And it looks like they have some promising younger players to take over for the older guys. But they have to prove it first, as casdhf said.
                    How can you say that after the Evans trade? He was still clearly the best WR we had.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

this team sucks, the only hope i have is for an improvement is the defense. i can't wait to watch the offense embarrass us fans week after week. way to go front office.

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

For the last time, Op....last year was about evaluating. Buddy was out of the league for a year or two before he came back to Buffalo, wasn't he? So when he came to Buffalo and got the GM job, he sat back and watched for a year to see what he had. Then after the evaluation year, he chatted with Gailey about who fits the scheme, and got rid of the trash. He tried to keep the young guys that wanted ti be here, but Poz chose the Money instead, so did Whitner when he talked his way out of town last year.

Comment

• B-DON
                          hi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Michael82
                          For the last time, Op....last year was about evaluating. Buddy was out of the league for a year or two before he came back to Buffalo, wasn't he? So when he came to Buffalo and got the GM job, he sat back and watched for a year to see what he had. Then after the evaluation year, he chatted with Gailey about who fits the scheme, and got rid of the trash. He tried to keep the young guys that wanted ti be here, but Poz chose the Money instead, so did Whitner when he talked his way out of town last year.
                          Wasn't buddy here as an assistant the year before? Why wasn't he evaluating this roster then? Why waste two years on evaluating?

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Again, this is why nobody wanted the HC job here.

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                              They are drafting people and play young guys. The only old guys that are expected to be here when we are legit contender are Flo and Barnett - and we have invested high picks in those positions even then.

To me, Nix and company are going to play the young guys within reason. They tried t get a pro ball caliber RT and failed. So they are staying with potential guys on the O-Line that they acquired. Likewise on WR position that they want to play young guys to let some emerge.

If the young guys emerge and the Bills doing better, so much better as there is less holes to fill. If they fail, well, Andrew Luck is not a bad compromise.
                              So we can't tank the season to get the #1 overall pick for an unproven guy but we can tank the season by starting them?

Comment

Working...
                              X