PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Tony Pauline Weighs In On Landry Jones

DraftBoy
08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5546

4th Landry Jones QB 12 4Jr Tough, intelligent signal caller that does a great job commanding and controlling the offense. Always on the same page as his receivers, displays great timing and competitive. Lacks great physical skills and a pocket passer that does not possess classic size or arm strength.

X-Era
08-16-2011, 06:17 AM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5546I think he's nuts on 4th round at this point. I'd put Landry in the 2nd-3rd. With a shot to go in round 1.

With Gailey's scheme and after trading Lee, I'm less worried about arm strength than before. I think as long as the guy can make all the throws, I'm good. I don't think we need above average arm strength any more.

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I think he's nuts on 4th round at this point. I'd put Landry in the 2nd-3rd. With a shot to go in round 1.

With Gailey's scheme and after trading Lee, I'm less worried about arm strength than before. I think as long as the guy can make all the throws, I'm good. I don't think we need above average arm strength any more.

It's a little low, but I cant say he's totally wrong. Im not fully buying into Landry Jones either. Its the Oklahoma effect and Pauline is calling people out for it.

methos4ever
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
It's a little low, but I cant say he's totally wrong. Im not fully buying into Landry Jones either. Its the Oklahoma effect and Pauline is calling people out for it.
The proof'll be in the pudding for him this year. There'll be a few games where he won't be able to "Oklahoma" his way to 40+ points a game and might be in a few dogfights. Would like to see some more stick throws and something that shows he's not just an "Oklahoma guy".

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Andy Dalton got picked at the top of rd. 2, that should be all you need to know about qb's getting drafted early.
I know of another qb who supposedly had a 3rd rd grade and was the 8th pick in the draft.
And another with a 2nd rd grade who was the 12th pick.
Then another who has more physical ability then any of them who went in the 4th and may very well end up being the best of them.
All this means that these draft guys have no freaking clue and the one constant is qb's generally will go much higher then where rated.

psubills62
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Andy Dalton got picked at the top of rd. 2, that should be all you need to know about qb's getting drafted early.
I know of another qb who supposedly had a 3rd rd grade and was the 8th pick in the draft.
Then another who has more physical ability then any of them who went in the 4th and may very well end up being the best of them.
All this means that these draft guys have no freaking clue and the one constant is qb's generally will go much higher then where rated.
The problem with your logic is that you're assuming since these guys are picked somewhere, that they're worth that pick. Was Jamarcus Russell worth a first rounder (much less first overall)? Brady Quinn? Brian Brohm worth a 2nd? Chad Henne?

I'm not saying the "draft guys" know what they're talking about necessarily, but they are predicting what they think some of these prospects are worth, not where they'll be drafted.

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 10:46 AM

You're making no sense.

In the end where a guy gets picked matters a grand total of zero. Can he play or can he not play. That's all that matters. The valuation system in terms of rounds tells you that Pauline is not sure he can play.

If Locker is a success then Tennesse was right and I was wrong, if Tennessee had taken Locker in Round 3 and he was a success I was still wrong.

I, like Pauline and many others, really don't care about being right in April. The only thing that matters is the long term. April accuracy is for fans not analysts or scouts. Its why guys like Kiper and McShay have to be accurate in round projections.

Its a blurry line at times, but its one that exists. You read the round and that's all you're seeing when the round itself actually means next to nothing.

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm making alot of sense.
- qb's will usually get drafted highr, because they play the most important position.
- most talent scouts are clueless regarding how qb's will adapt at the pro level from college.

I'd say that is very accurate and I will also say right now that L. Jones will get drafted before the 4th rd.

psubills62
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm making alot of sense.
- qb's will usually get drafted highr, because they play the most important position.
- most talent scouts are clueless regarding how qb's will adapt at the pro level from college.

I'd say that is very accurate and I will also say right now that L. Jones will get drafted before the 4th rd.
Pauline's not saying where he thinks Jones will end up getting drafted.

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Who is Pauline and if he is a scout he damn well better care about being right. That is his job.
Thus the reason the Bills have stunk for a decade, their scouts and front office were always wrong.

psubills62
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Who is Pauline and if he is a scout he damn well better care about being right. That is his job.
Thus the reason the Bills have stunk for a decade, their scouts and front office were always wrong.
Was Brady Quinn worth a first round pick?

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
The problem with your logic is that you're assuming since these guys are picked somewhere, that they're worth that pick. Was Jamarcus Russell worth a first rounder (much less first overall)? Brady Quinn? Brian Brohm worth a 2nd? Chad Henne?

I'm not saying the "draft guys" know what they're talking about necessarily, but they are predicting what they think some of these prospects are worth, not where they'll be drafted.

That first paragraph proves the point they are clueless.
And why should I even think that Pauline knows what he is talking about saying Jones is worth a "4th" ? Who the f is Pauline ?

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Was Brady Quinn worth a first round pick?

What do you think ? Was Brady worth a 6th ?

psubills62
08-16-2011, 10:56 AM
That first paragraph proves the point they are clueless.
And why should I even think that Pauline knows what he is talking about saying Jones is worth a "4th" ? Who the f is Pauline ?
Who do you mean by "they" - NFL scouts? NFL GM's?

psubills62
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
What do you think ? Was Brady worth a 6th ?
Nope, not at all.

You're the one who seems to use their draft status as a first rounder to legitimize your claims. I'm showing you that that's a dumb way of doing things.

You also tend to confuse when scouts say a player is "worth" a certain round pick with them saying that's where he'll go. Everyone knows Jones will go first round barring a disaster season. Pauline's saying he's not worth using a first rounder on him, kind of like it wasn't worth using a first rounder on Quinn or Russell.

You're a smart guy, you should be able to get these concepts.

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Who do you mean by "they" - NFL scouts? NFL GM's?

Everyone, especially thses so called draft guys who write blogs.
The guys that are supposed to know can't even get it right half of the time. We know the Bills scouts and gm's haven't gotten it right.
Again , who is Pauline ?

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I said the two best qb's were Locker and Mallett. Time will tell.

but my opinion is worth as much as your's or this Pauline guy.
Last I knew none of us are working in the NFL.

DraftBoy
The guys that are supposed to know can't even get it right half of the time. We know the Bills scouts and gm's haven't gotten it right.
Again , who is Pauline ?

If you want to know about Pauline outside that he is the Sports Illustrated draft expert then Google him. He's one of the most well known and respected scouts in the industry.

But like Russ Lande you'll criticize because you don't like his opinion.

psubills62
Again , who is Pauline ?
Last I checked, draft guys who write blogs didn't draft Quinn in the first round. So who again are you saying is clueless?

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
If you want to know about Pauline outside that he is the Sports Illustrated draft expert then Google him. He's one of the most well known and respected scouts in the industry.

But like Russ Lande you'll criticize because you don't like his opinion.

Because Russ is usually wrong. Simple. Why isn't he in the NFL anymore ?
An SI draft expert. LOL.

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Because Russ is usually wrong. Simple. Why isn't he in the NFL anymore ?
An SI draft expert. LOL.

Because the private sector is much more fruitful. How much do you think scouts make?

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Ok, I'm gonna call myself a Billszone draft expert. LOL.

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Because the private sector is much more fruitful. How much do you think scouts make?

Probably more then a guy writing a monthly column for Sporting News.

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Probably more then a guy writing a monthly column for Sporting News.

Oh you don't even 1/20th of what Lande does then or Pauline for that matter.

Mski
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
I think he's nuts on 4th round at this point. I'd put Landry in the 2nd-3rd. With a shot to go in round 1.

With Gailey's scheme and after trading Lee, I'm less worried about arm strength than before. I think as long as the guy can make all the throws, I'm good. I don't think we need above average arm strength any more.i think arm strength is more important on short throws in our stadium, especially when the wind get going and the weather becomes less than ideal

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh you don't even 1/20th of what Lande does then or Pauline for that matter.

How much those guys making ?

Wasn't russ some kind of scout at one time ?

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
How much those guys making ?

Wasn't russ some kind of scout at one time ?

Im not privy to their tax returns but I know both do more than things than just write for SI and Sporting News.

I believe both were, Russ was a scout for the Browns and held a front office executive position.

k-oneputt
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I think I'd rather be in the Browns organization then writing for the Sporting News.
I'm guessing the Browns dumped him.

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I think I'd rather be in the Browns organization then writing for the Sporting News.
I'm guessing the Browns dumped him.

The Sporting News is actually his smallest role of the multiple things he does.

No idea about what happened with the Browns.

X-Era
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
i think arm strength is more important on short throws in our stadium, especially when the wind get going and the weather becomes less than idealThe wind plays a factor for us, I agree. But, I;m talking about placing a requirement on a QB prospect for the Bills where the player has to have a cannon for an arm.

methos4ever
08-17-2011, 06:35 PM

I think even Fitz has a few throws where he can stick it in there. As you said, as long as they can get every pro throw covered and can stick in that occasional ball, I think we're in good shape. I'm personally interested in 3-4 guys out of the crop past Landry and Luck too...