• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

SI.com Tony Pauline Weighs In On Landry Jones

Latest NFL news ,rumors and stats, including NBA, MLB schedules and more with Draft Schedule

4th Landry Jones QB 12 4Jr Tough, intelligent signal caller that does a great job commanding and controlling the offense. Always on the same page as his receivers, displays great timing and competitive. Lacks great physical skills and a pocket passer that does not possess classic size or arm strength.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: SI.com Tony Pauline Weighs In On Landry Jones

Originally posted by DraftBoy
    I think he's nuts on 4th round at this point. I'd put Landry in the 2nd-3rd. With a shot to go in round 1.

With Gailey's scheme and after trading Lee, I'm less worried about arm strength than before. I think as long as the guy can make all the throws, I'm good. I don't think we need above average arm strength any more.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
      I think he's nuts on 4th round at this point. I'd put Landry in the 2nd-3rd. With a shot to go in round 1.

With Gailey's scheme and after trading Lee, I'm less worried about arm strength than before. I think as long as the guy can make all the throws, I'm good. I don't think we need above average arm strength any more.
      It's a little low, but I cant say he's totally wrong. Im not fully buying into Landry Jones either. Its the Oklahoma effect and Pauline is calling people out for it.
      COMING SOON...

Comment

• methos4ever
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        It's a little low, but I cant say he's totally wrong. Im not fully buying into Landry Jones either. Its the Oklahoma effect and Pauline is calling people out for it.
        The proof'll be in the pudding for him this year. There'll be a few games where he won't be able to "Oklahoma" his way to 40+ points a game and might be in a few dogfights. Would like to see some more stick throws and something that shows he's not just an "Oklahoma guy".

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

Andy Dalton got picked at the top of rd. 2, that should be all you need to know about qb's getting drafted early.
          I know of another qb who supposedly had a 3rd rd grade and was the 8th pick in the draft.
          And another with a 2nd rd grade who was the 12th pick.
          Then another who has more physical ability then any of them who went in the 4th and may very well end up being the best of them.
          All this means that these draft guys have no freaking clue and the one constant is qb's generally will go much higher then where rated.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by k-oneputt
            Andy Dalton got picked at the top of rd. 2, that should be all you need to know about qb's getting drafted early.
            I know of another qb who supposedly had a 3rd rd grade and was the 8th pick in the draft.
            Then another who has more physical ability then any of them who went in the 4th and may very well end up being the best of them.
            All this means that these draft guys have no freaking clue and the one constant is qb's generally will go much higher then where rated.
            The problem with your logic is that you're assuming since these guys are picked somewhere, that they're worth that pick. Was Jamarcus Russell worth a first rounder (much less first overall)? Brady Quinn? Brian Brohm worth a 2nd? Chad Henne?

I'm not saying the "draft guys" know what they're talking about necessarily, but they are predicting what they think some of these prospects are worth, not where they'll be drafted.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

You're making no sense.

In the end where a guy gets picked matters a grand total of zero. Can he play or can he not play. That's all that matters. The valuation system in terms of rounds tells you that Pauline is not sure he can play.

If Locker is a success then Tennesse was right and I was wrong, if Tennessee had taken Locker in Round 3 and he was a success I was still wrong.

I, like Pauline and many others, really don't care about being right in April. The only thing that matters is the long term. April accuracy is for fans not analysts or scouts. Its why guys like Kiper and McShay have to be accurate in round projections.

Its a blurry line at times, but its one that exists. You read the round and that's all you're seeing when the round itself actually means next to nothing.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

I'm making alot of sense.
                - qb's will usually get drafted highr, because they play the most important position.
                - most talent scouts are clueless regarding how qb's will adapt at the pro level from college.

I'd say that is very accurate and I will also say right now that L. Jones will get drafted before the 4th rd.

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

I'm making alot of sense.
                  - qb's will usually get drafted highr, because they play the most important position.
                  - most talent scouts are clueless regarding how qb's will adapt at the pro level from college.

I'd say that is very accurate and I will also say right now that L. Jones will get drafted before the 4th rd.
                  Pauline's not saying where he thinks Jones will end up getting drafted.
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• k-oneputt
                    • Jun 2009

Who is Pauline and if he is a scout he damn well better care about being right. That is his job.
                    Thus the reason the Bills have stunk for a decade, their scouts and front office were always wrong.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Who is Pauline and if he is a scout he damn well better care about being right. That is his job.
                      Thus the reason the Bills have stunk for a decade, their scouts and front office were always wrong.
                      Was Brady Quinn worth a first round pick?
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
                        The problem with your logic is that you're assuming since these guys are picked somewhere, that they're worth that pick. Was Jamarcus Russell worth a first rounder (much less first overall)? Brady Quinn? Brian Brohm worth a 2nd? Chad Henne?

I'm not saying the "draft guys" know what they're talking about necessarily, but they are predicting what they think some of these prospects are worth, not where they'll be drafted.
                        That first paragraph proves the point they are clueless.
                        And why should I even think that Pauline knows what he is talking about saying Jones is worth a "4th" ? Who the f is Pauline ?

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
                          Was Brady Quinn worth a first round pick?
                          What do you think ? Was Brady worth a 6th ?

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

That first paragraph proves the point they are clueless.
                            And why should I even think that Pauline knows what he is talking about saying Jones is worth a "4th" ? Who the f is Pauline ?
                            Who do you mean by "they" - NFL scouts? NFL GM's?
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

What do you think ? Was Brady worth a 6th ?
                              Nope, not at all.

You're the one who seems to use their draft status as a first rounder to legitimize your claims. I'm showing you that that's a dumb way of doing things.

You also tend to confuse when scouts say a player is "worth" a certain round pick with them saying that's where he'll go. Everyone knows Jones will go first round barring a disaster season. Pauline's saying he's not worth using a first rounder on him, kind of like it wasn't worth using a first rounder on Quinn or Russell.

You're a smart guy, you should be able to get these concepts.
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X