PDA

View Full Version : Gailey unhappy with OL play

psubills62
08-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I know most people don't like buffalorumblings, so here's a link to the actual video (and then the BR.com article I poached this from):

Gailey post-game video (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/6141bf52-ecd1-4a4a-8ba3-fdc7c77efcac)

Gailey disappointed with OL article (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/15/2364717/chan-gailey-disappointed-with-bills-offensive-line-play)

"We've got some work to do to continue to improve our running game," Gailey said after the game. "I thought our down the line guys didn't play as well as I hoped they would. We've got to who can step up and play to the next level.

"Like I said earlier, I think the biggest disappointment I have was how our down the line guys played, executed," Gailey later continued. "I thought they fought - I thought they tried - but I was not pleased with their execution. We've got some work to do to find out which of those guys can step up to the next level."

Let's hope they sign the best guys out there to improve the OL overall and maybe find a starter (at least, better starter).

Ed
08-15-2011, 10:56 PM
I at least always appreciate that Gailey doesn't really try to make excuses for anyone. He holds his players accountable. It makes his praising of players more credible too.

BertSquirtgum
08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
they don't want to win. they aren't signing anyone.

RoscoeMagic
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Why don't most people like Buffalo Rumblings?

methos4ever
08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/15/gailey-on-film-review-of-game/

Bills head coach Chan Gailey had a chance to go over the game film from the preseason opener and some of his initial suspicions right after the game were correct. After the first team offense and defense Gailey said there was a lot left to be desired.

“Overall I thought the ones on offense and defense did okay,” he said. ”We’ve got something we can build on from there. The rest of them were not very good at all and we’ve got a lot of work to try to find which of those guys are going to come up and help this football team be a championship football team. And our special teams overall were extremely poor. If we play like that on special teams we’ll lose two or three games because of special teams this year.”

In light of Gailey’s assessment of the special teams play, one wonders if more of the practice time might be devoted to it moving forward. Gailey was a special teams coach earlier in his career with Denver.

That was a very misleading lede for that article and Gailey was in fact referring to the depth as far as "down the line" guys, not the offensive line.

Thundering Buffalo
08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
So frickin do something about it. Gailey has gone public that our line sucks especially the right side now Nix has to address it!

justasportsfan
08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
what I like about Chan is that he is straight forward. He blast the special teams play. he talks about this and that isn't good unlike Dick who loved to lie to himself by saying, we like our players ,blah,blah,blah.

Now, whether Chan can fix what he realizes is wrong is something we'll have to wait and see.

kingJofNYC
08-15-2011, 11:46 PM

That was a very misleading lede for that article and Gailey was in fact referring to the depth as far as "down the line" guys, not the offensive line.

Right, that's how interpreted it when I watched the post game interview. Regardless though, they realize we have no depth, and when you don't have adequate depth your injury away from below average starters.

I think they'll try and upgrade wherever they can, at least I hope so. The 2nd OL unit were atrocious.

Mahdi
08-15-2011, 11:59 PM

Right but he did point out the offensive line depth. Which means, if they would sign an upgrade to our starting unit like Stinchcomb or Waters it would push some of our questionable starters down the depth chart and improve it.

No matter what, the solution is to sign a good player on OL that can improve our starting unit and our depth in one shot.

Michael82
08-16-2011, 03:52 AM

:rofl: good catch!

HopefulBillsFan
08-16-2011, 04:45 AM
lol even if who cares.. were heading into the 2nd week of the preseason in a rebuilding year if you are a realist. as long as Marcell and Merriman play each week it will be interesting.

sam5767
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Yes....OL depth seems to be huge issue....which can be addressed by adding some bodies that are available....at least it would give the appearance of addressing it.....we'll see what happens....

YardRat
08-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Could be a pretty easy fix for now, sign Stinchcomb and move Hang to RG.

Jan Reimers
08-16-2011, 05:41 AM
The right side of our O-line is made up almost entirely of waiver wire guys, including Urbik, Rinehart, Wrotto and Pears. Doesn't the FO realize there's a reason these guys were cut?

alohabillsfan
08-16-2011, 06:01 AM
I like buffalo rumblings.

X-Era
08-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Could be a pretty easy fix for now, sign Stinchcomb and move Hang to RG.That would be a smart move.

mrbojanglezs
08-16-2011, 06:44 AM
The right side of our O-line is made up almost entirely of waiver wire guys, including Urbik, Rinehart, Wrotto and Pears. Doesn't the FO realize there's a reason these guys were cut?

Nix lives the waiver wire

DraftBoy
08-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Nothing wrong with BR, Matt and Brian do good work.

Night Train
08-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Not sure about Stinchcomb. Reads like he's physically breaking down.

But more of his ilk that are healthier should be available soon. This is the time of year when Vets get bounced by the youth.

PromoTheRobot
08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
I doubt anyone worth a crap is available right now. If Nix is waiting for anything its other teams cuts to pick from.

PTR

Lone Stranger
08-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I am a little surprised by Gailey's revelation. Most of us have harped on the inadequacies of the OL for some time. Why did it take him so long to determine this?

BTW there are really very little, if any, OLs left in free agency. And other teams are hurting too. I fear the time has past to deal with the problem.

Maybe Chan is trying to send a message to the front office in a somewhat subtle way.

mysticsoto
08-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Maybe Gailey should take this up with Nix!!!

"I think that the offensive line has been beat to death. ... We think we've got better players than you guys and maybe the fans think we have."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/07/26/bills-backing-tackle-talent/

psubills62
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM

:idunno:

My bad, guys, I didn't realize he was just talking about depth.

trapezeus
08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Gailey, in a jauronian moment commented on his OL depth, "I have to look at the tape. I thought they played really well but obviously we have to make some adjustments. most of which are outside my area of expertise. So i will continue to jam this square peg into this here round hole." Gailey was then seen skipping around clapping his hands asking for Maybin to come back to the team.

this would be the worse quote to read, i believe.

Oaf
08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
BR is much more blog-style. BZ is much more facilitating to discussions.