PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Pats might cut OchoCinco or Haynesworth?

mysticsoto
08-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Just a rumor right now...

Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/1177) might not be long for New England. One NFL executive familiar with the Patriots (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/17) ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/301790-source-patriots-will-cut-ochocinco-or-haynesworh?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

X-Era
08-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/1177) might not be long for New England. One NFL executive familiar with the Patriots (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/17) ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/301790-source-patriots-will-cut-ochocinco-or-haynesworh?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10Yeah, that came out a few days ago from Pompei I believe. I wouldn't be shocked. Beli won't hesitate to cut a player if he isn't playing up to snuff. But, at least with Ocho, no one else is likely to be way better to where he could easily cut him.

I don't buy the whole line about Beli doing it to send a message. I think that's crap.

ServoBillieves
08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
That's what you get to do when you control the draft and its picks. Toss em like hotcakes.

sam5767
08-16-2011, 06:51 AM

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/301790-source-patriots-will-cut-ochocinco-or-haynesworh?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

I live just south of Foxboro....and heard Belly on EEI yesterday.....for what it's worth, it didn't sound like Belly was going to cut anyone to send a message. He more or less said the generic "we'll keep the guys that can help us....Chad and Albert are working hard...blah...blah". The chatter afterwards seemed to dismiss the "sending a message" reason as being valid.....the real concern is that Chad may be having a tough time picking up the offense and that Haynesworth hasn't been able to get on the field that much. So it wouldn't be a shock if either or both get cut....but I think it would be because they didn't work out...not because Belly is sending a message...

trapezeus
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
i read in that yahoo article that ochocinco is an expensive option to cut but haynesworth isn't.

also, wouldn't it have been amazing if the patriots didn't give him 85. So he'd be ochocinco by name but 81 by number. Leave it to the pats to not play along.

Ickybaluky
08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
i read in that yahoo article that ochocinco is an expensive option to cut but haynesworth isn't.

also, wouldn't it have been amazing if the patriots didn't give him 85. So he'd be ochocinco by name but 81 by number. Leave it to the pats to not play along.

He already has 85. When he first got to camp, Aaron Hernandez let him have it as a "welcome to the team" gesture. Hernandez took his college number of 81.

I'd be surprised if either guy was cut. However, if one was cut it would be because they didn't think he would help the team. The idea that he traded for them just so he could cut them and send a message to the team is kid of silly. Belichick usually doesn't try to send messages that way, and he isn't in a position where he has to take control of his lockerroom. Belichick is at the top of the foodchain and everyone with the team already knows that.

If they are cut, it is because they can't play or aren't worth the trouble. I doubt either is cut, though.

Forward_Lateral
08-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Didn't he change his name back to Johnson anyways?

psubills62
08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this rumor was discredited a while back, IIRC.

Mski
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
perhaps shanahan was right about haynesworth being incredibly lazy

Ickybaluky
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM

No. He had said previously he was going to this year, but like a lot of things he says it was a lot of hot air.

He also told everyone he was going to change his last name to Revis is he was shut down by the Jets CB. He was, and didn't.

sam5767
08-16-2011, 02:15 PM

He supposedly twittered that he was looking to shack up with a fan that lives close to the stadium....as long as they had internet and Xbox....LOL.....

Goobylal
08-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Has Haynesworth even practiced with them yet?

Ickybaluky
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Has Haynesworth even practiced with them yet?

Yes, he did for 2 days, but has been out since. Belichick has only stated he is "day-to-day", which is what he says about everyone who misses practice.

I think his missing practice is why people are speculating he may be released. However, Belichick has said he has been attending meetings and doing non-field work, so there is no known issue. To say what his status is is speculation, which is why you can't say definitively he won't be cut.

However, given his willingness to take a huge pay cut and accept an incentive-based contract, I'd be surprised if he is released. I think it is more likely he is banged up or his conditioning needs improvement, and they are doing that outside of practice. If he is acting up then they probably cut their losses. However, the idea they traded for him just so they could later cut him and send a message to the team is dumb.

The situation reminds me of when they traded for Moss in 2007. He missed all but the first few days of training camp and didn't play in any preseason games. There was speculation the Pats would just cut him under the assumption he was dogging it like he did in Oakland. He returned for the opener and had a monster year.

In the end nobody knows what to expect with Haynesworth. He could return to his defensive MVP form or be cut outright before the season starts (or anything in between). He is a total wild card.

sam5767
08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes, he did for 2 days, but has been out since. Belichick has only stated he is "day-to-day", which is what he says about everyone who misses practice.

I think his missing practice is why people are speculating he may be released. However, Belichick has said he has been attending meetings and doing non-field work, so there is no known issue. To say what his status is is speculation, which is why you can't say definitively he won't be cut.

However, given his willingness to take a huge pay cut and accept an incentive-based contract, I'd be surprised if he is released. I think it is more likely he is banged up or his conditioning needs improvement, and they are doing that outside of practice. If he is acting up then they probably cut their losses. However, the idea they traded for him just so they could later cut him and send a message to the team is dumb.

The situation reminds me of when they traded for Moss in 2007. He missed all but the first few days of training camp and didn't play in any preseason games. There was speculation the Pats would just cut him under the assumption he was dogging it like he did in Oakland. He returned for the opener and had a monster year.

In the end nobody knows what to expect with Haynesworth. He could return to his defensive MVP form or be cut outright before the season starts (or anything in between). He is a total wild card.

Wasn't there something about an upcoming court date in later in August when the pats first got him? I thought he had an upcoming court appearance for the waitress thing....unless that was already resolved...maybe that's why he has been absent from practice..?

Ickybaluky
08-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Wasn't there something about an upcoming court date in later in August when the pats first got him? I thought he had an upcoming court appearance for the waitress thing....unless that was already resolved...maybe that's why he has been absent from practice..?

No, that is still out there. The court date isn't until the 27th.

He has been going to the facility and attending meetings. He hasn't been practicing. The likely reason is he suffered some sort of injury and they are taking it easy with him in terms of hitting. I am sure he is working with trainers, lifting and conditioning along with everyone else, but the injured players are not seen or heard from with the Pats. Other players are in the same category, for instance Brandon Spikes has been missing since the 2nd day of camp. Everyone assumes they are injured but nobody confirms anything. Teams aren't required to make an injury report available until week 1.

The thing is, with Albert's history you can never tell what is going on. The Pats say he is doing what he is supposed to, but nobody really knows. The only real sure bet is if he toes the line they probably work with him, like they did with Moss. If he acts up or is trouble they get rid of him, like they did with Moss.

better days
08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
perhaps shanahan was right about haynesworth being incredibly lazy

It was Jim Hasslet, Skins DC & former Bills LB that ripped Haynsworth. He said when Haynsworth told him he only wanted to play in the 4-3 he said fine I will only play you in the 4-3, then Haynsworth said he only wanted to play on 3rd downs. Haslett said The guy is making all this money & he only wants to play 10-11 plays per game.

sam5767
08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
No, that is still out there. The court date isn't until the 27th.

He has been going to the facility and attending meetings. He hasn't been practicing. The likely reason is he suffered some sort of injury and they are taking it easy with him in terms of hitting. I am sure he is working with trainers, lifting and conditioning along with everyone else, but the injured players are not seen or heard from with the Pats. Other players are in the same category, for instance Brandon Spikes has been missing since the 2nd day of camp. Everyone assumes they are injured but nobody confirms anything. Teams aren't required to make an injury report available until week 1.

The thing is, with Albert's history you can never tell what is going on. The Pats say he is doing what he is supposed to, but nobody really knows. The only real sure bet is if he toes the line they probably work with him, like they did with Moss. If he acts up or is trouble they get rid of him, like they did with Moss.

Yeah...it's tough for a tiger to change his stripes...but if there's anyone who can get something out of haynesworth, it's Belly....he certainly does have a talent for getting something from malcontents...even if it's only temporary.

Ickybaluky
08-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah...it's tough for a tiger to change his stripes...but if there's anyone who can get something out of haynesworth, it's Belly....he certainly does have a talent for getting something from malcontents...even if it's only temporary.

I actually think it will work out for a year. He signed an incentive-laden deal, so how much he makes is tied to how well he plays. I could see him keeping it together and having a good year to rehab his image, like Moss did.

Of course, I just hope he doesn't kill someone driving 100 MPH on 95.