When did the Bills officially kill your optimism about the team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOverDolphins
    chop chop
    • Jun 2003

When did the Bills officially kill your optimism about the team?

Let me preface this by saying I'll always be a Bills fan (like all ya'll), but over the years I've become a bitter pessimist about the team--for good reason.

What moment made you snap and turn to the darkside?

For me, it was 2004 when we lost to the 3rd string Steelers at home, when a win would've put us in the playoffs. I was already numb by the time the 2008 collapse came around.
    Oh no!...We suck again!
  • dannyek71
    Drink Responsibly
    • Dec 2004

Re: When did the Bills officially kill your optimism about the team?

2005 season I think.
    [

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

I think Ralph gave up after TD and Greg Williams did not work out. Ralph has not invested in a proper front office since and the results speak for themselves.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
        • May 2005

I was holding on strong until after the 2009 season. Since then, I've been much more negative... Well, actually, I'll take that back. I've been much more indifferent. I just don't have the enthusiasm about the team that I used to.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I've been a loyal fan from the first game in 1960. I have become increasingly dissatisfied over the last 11 bleak seasons, but it took me until the Evans' trade to realize just how incredibly F'ed up this organization is.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins
            Let me preface this by saying I'll always be a Bills fan (like all ya'll), but over the years I've become a bitter pessimist about the team--for good reason.

What moment made you snap and turn to the darkside?

For me, it was 2004 when we lost to the 3rd string Steelers at home, when a win would've put us in the playoffs. I was already numb by the time the 2008 collapse came around.
            For me, it was 2005 when we **** the bed after an encouraging end to 2004 (minus that Steelers game). But the real dagger was the Dallas loss on MNF in '07. Ever since that moment, losses just seem so inevitable.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

I renew my optimism every off season..

I like the Nix plan of building the majority of this team via draft and grooming our own and I like a lot of what I see right now. I like the Nix plan of not bringing in bloated salary demands of mediocre FA's that serve no purpose but to keep us entrenched in mediocrity.

you're not going to erase 10+ years of pathetic pre-Nix front office moves that brought us to the point where we are now.. Trying to rebuild a franchise that has seen numerous 1st rd picks wasted by those FO personnel that could of been and should of been making impacts on this team NOW...

all that being said.. depth at a few positions is weak, and the OL definitely needs to be upgraded. However bringing in marginal aging vets isn't the answer... neither is bringing in troubled players who have chronic issues...

if this team looks like crap early in the season then I will start tuning them out, tivo games and decide afterwards if I really want to watch them and will start following the Sabres more and wait till next year yet again.. rinse and repeat

the moment I stop being a Bills fan is when the Buffalo no longer proceeds Bills.. until then I start every year optimistic
              Last edited by ddaryl; 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl

the moment I stop being a Bills fan is when the Buffalo no longer proceeds Bills.. until then I start every year optimistic
                being a fan has nothing to do with being optimistic.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• wmoz11
                  • Sep 2008

I'm still optimistic when a new season starts, but much, much less so ever since the 2004 game vs the Steelers. I had the misfortune of being at that game with my best friend who happens to be a Steelers fan.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                    chop chop
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by wmoz11
                    I'm still optimistic when a new season starts, but much, much less so ever since the 2004 game vs the Steelers. I had the misfortune of being at that game with my best friend who happens to be a Steelers fan.
                    ouch...If I was in your shoes I'd probably be on non-speaking terms with your friend now
                    Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

The decision to go with Losman over Bledsoe.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• bf1
                        • Oct 2010

2009 offseason when they did absolutely nothing in free agency except Owens at the last minute. Then Buddy Nix's company line of "build through the draft" as an excuse to be cheap in free agency.

Comment

• Mski
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wmoz11
                          that was one of the years we had season tickets, and there was a group of steelers fans, that i used to work with, that had season tickets the row infrot of us. i didnt hear the end of that for months
                          RIP Tommy D!
                          12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                            • Sep 2008

2008 collapse. I care so much less now than I did then.

Comment

• wmoz11
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mski
                              that was one of the years we had season tickets, and there was a group of steelers fans, that i used to work with, that had season tickets the row infrot of us. i didnt hear the end of that for months
                              I still hear about it. At least you guys are surrounded by Bills fans most of the time. I know about 3 and everyone else loves the Eagles or Steelers. I've been verbally abused my whole life about this damn team.

Luckily when my friend sarcastically asked me what stud we'd draft with that 4th we got for Evans I told him probably someone similar to what the Steelers drafted for the pick they got for Holmes, SB MVP.

Didn't hear back.

Comment

Working...
                              X