PDA

View Full Version : Rick Rypien found dead

Valerie
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Winnipeg Jets forward Rick Rypien was found dead in his Alberta home earlier Monday night, according to a report by The Globe and Mail of Toronto.

Sgt. Patrick Webb of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they received a phone call at 12:30 p.m. local time to go to a residence in Coleman, according to the Sports Network.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-08-15/nhl-player-rick-rypien-found-dead-winnipeg-jets-vancouver-canucks?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C86644#ixzz1VDf7IOGI

Dr. Lecter
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Supposedly this was suicide. Very sad story.

SkateZilla
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Alcohol + Painkillers again.

So 1st Boogard, then Amy Whinehouse, and now Rypien in a summertime's span, and thats just famous people..

Something needs to be done about Prescription Strength Painkillers being sold over the counter without medical consult. As Doctor would have asked if the person drinks, and changes what he prescribes.

mightysimi
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Have you seen a report on what he died from? I have not. To speculate he got hammered and od'd on painkillers is a little premature. It was known that he suffered from depression but I have yet to see any report confirming how he died.

CuseJetsFan83
08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Have you seen a report on what he died from? I have not. To speculate he got hammered and od'd on painkillers is a little premature. It was known that he suffered from depression but I have yet to see any report confirming how he died.

there were a few sources that TSN had and has since retracted that claim it was a suicide via od

SkateZilla
08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Can you honestly say if you were hammered you'd remember if you took a prescription strength painkiller 20 minutes prior or not.

I didnt say it was a suicide/intentional OD.

I've seen it first hand when I was in college
you can take a prescription strength vicodin, drink enough/get hammered, forget you took one, and take another.

from that point, if you continue to drink, sweat / heat your body, your already started the alcohol - hydrocodene mix, varies in each person, but breathing gets shallow, and inconsistent, eventually you pass out, and from that point, if your not given medical attention the mixture is lethal.

OpIv37
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Alcohol + Painkillers again.

So 1st Boogard, then Amy Whinehouse, and now Rypien in a summertime's span, and thats just famous people..

Something needs to be done about Prescription Strength Painkillers being sold over the counter without medical consult. As Doctor would have asked if the person drinks, and changes what he prescribes.

what prescription strength painkillers are sold OTC?

If you said that strong painkillers are over-prescribed, I'd agree with you completely, but that's different than being available OTC.

And Amy Winehouse is a terrible example because she was a hardcore drug addict.

This isn't a case where "something needs to be done." This is a case of people abusing two products- alcohol and painkillers- and paying the price for it. We don't need the government to do something every time someone does something stupid when the overwhelming majority can use the products without issue.

OpIv37
08-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Can you honestly say if you were hammered you'd remember if you took a prescription strength painkiller 20 minutes prior or not.

no, but I can honestly say that if I was on prescription painkillers, I'd refrain from getting hammered- or drinking at all- when I took the pain killers for the exact reason that you mentioned: it's dangerous.

It says right on the bottle not to take them with alcohol.

mightysimi
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
:air:

I didnt say it was a suicide/intentional OD.

I've seen it first hand when I was in college
you can take a prescription strength vicodin, drink enough/get hammered, forget you took one, and take another.

from that point, if you continue to drink, sweat / heat your body, your already started the alcohol - hydrocodene mix, varies in each person, but breathing gets shallow, and inconsistent, eventually you pass out, and from that point, if your not given medical attention the mixture is lethal.

I'm not disputing that, that is how it could go down, however, I was just asking if you had seen a report saying that was how he died. When he was on personal leave from the Canucks in the past, the only comment there ever was from him was, "it's not booze and not drugs." So I was skepticle about saying it was liquor/painkillers without a published report.

BleedinGreenNC
08-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Too many people dying so young, very sad!

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-25-2011, 05:34 AM
This thread has lasted longer than his NHL career.