X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

dave wannstedt

reading all the blogs, reports, from espn down to local small time reporters from the camp, it seems to me this guy is draw attention from everyone, players, coaches. he is supposed to take care of the 4 inside linebackers only.

there a re a number of former d-coordinators on this staff. wannstedt is probably the most successful one. i don't think he's going to get another hc gig in nfl. i'm afraid that if the bills have some defensive success this year, he's likely ticketed to be a defensive coordinator somewhere else.

this just reminds me of the dick lebeau time in buffalo. along side with talent upgrade (notably sam adams and tko), the bills d shot off the chart that year with some noticeable 3-4 traces. then lebeau left for the steelers and their d stayed on top 5 for all these years.

maybe history will repeat itself again. the bills have talent upgrade in the forms of marcell and merriman; wannstedt is in town to see the bills d shot off the chart. then he gets offers ...
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: dave wannstedt

If Gailey gets fired while Wannstedt is still with this organization, he is the most likely candidate to be our next head coach. It's not something I'd be in favor of, but that is what this organization does, promote from within. JMO

Comment

• GreedoII
      • Aug 2007

Obviously he wil be our next retread head coach. The writing is on the wall.

Comment

• methos4ever
        • Apr 2004

One thing I can tell you about his time at Pitt was that he's burned out by being the head man. Too many people calling him out for things he can't necessarily control and his eternal search for a complimentary OC (and later ST coach) dogged him in the NFL as well as Pitt. In fact, he often jokes during clinics that he should have fired his ST coach way before he was let go (He was his own ST coach).

I think if there is success on D he'll be fine in the background as a voice to Chan and to Edwards. Ultimately, all of Coach Wannstedt's defenses were light on blitz and heavy on coverage, so if anyone thinks that he's going to influence this D into becoming Ravens-esque, they're quite mistaken.

Comment

• Jeff1220
          H to the 12:20
          • Jul 2002

I'd rather him have some success here and become someone else's DC than to have the D suck more, Gailey get fired and Wanny end up the HC in Buffalo.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Good God... the guy has been here 15 minutes.

Right now, he likes the spotlight being on someone else and gets to coach
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
              chop chop
              • Jun 2003

I swear if Wanny ever becomes the HC here.........***** it, nothing surprises me anymore.
              Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Wanny is assistant HC. He said aside from his duties as LB coach he will assist Chan with many of the details a HC is required to deal with. He & Chan are longtime friends & he & his wife are very happy to be in Buffalo. He said he is very familiar with Bills fans from having been HC of the Fins & thinks they are great. He is a Pittsburgh guy & he said Buffalo is very similar to Pitts. I think he will be in Buffalo at least as long as Chan is.
                Last edited by better days; 08-16-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

This is an 'old boys network' hire. Gailey gave Wanny a position and a paycheck to cruise for a season or two and get reacquainted with the NFL circles, until he gets an offer from somebody else.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat
                    This is an 'old boys network' hire. Gailey gave Wanny a position and a paycheck to cruise for a season or two and get reacquainted with the NFL circles, until he gets an offer from somebody else.
                    I doubt that. Wanny is asst. HC, the next move up would be HC. Does anyone really see that happening in the next season or two?

Comment

• Thurmal
                      • Oct 2005

Phenomenal coordinator, bad HC. See: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron...oh ****.
                      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by better days
                        I doubt that. Wanny is asst. HC, the next move up would be HC. Does anyone really see that happening in the next season or two?
                        He's only a ILBers coach/AHC here so DC/AHC or even all LB/AHC would be a move up.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Buddo
                          • Mar 2007

Much will depend on how he feels about what he wants to do in coaching. He may not want to be a HC again, and the position he's in, could actually suit him nicely.
                          TBH, I think if Chan goes, Wannstedt follows him out the door.
                          Guys like Wannstedt and Gailey, will always want to be involved in coaching - it's what they love. At the same time, there are very different degrees of involvement.

Something the Jets seem to have been very cute with, is getting guys to consult with their coaches, on a regular basis. These are guys like Mouse, who sit comfortably at home breaking down tape, on what the players need to work on, and pass the info on. Keeps them involved, and uses their experience and knowledge, without making them have to move around or show up to work physically every day.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat
                            He's only a ILBers coach/AHC here so DC/AHC or even all LB/AHC would be a move up.
                            The key is he is asst. HC/ILB not ILB/AHC. Wanny said he only returned to football because of his relationship with Chan. He likes working with Chan & the City of Buffalo.

I seriously doubt he would leave this situation to go anywhere else unless Jimmy Johnson returns to coach the Cowboys.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

LOL!.. a bunch found something to whine about in this thread too..

I think we can rename this the cheesezone forums... cause you sure get lots of whine here

Comment

Working...
                              X