X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Interesting quote from Evans Q&A @Ravens

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens made their second trade for a starting receiver in as many years by acquiring speedster Lee Evans from the Buffalo Bills.

Evans: It's hard to say. I don't know exactly what my role was when Chan and those guys came in. Obviously, my biggest attribute is speed and being a downfield threat. That's kind of how [Baltimore] wants to use me, and I think that's why they brought me here. If you look at Anquan Boldin, he can do everything over the middle. And I think they want me to be able to stretch the field vertically.

That more than a year passed and he still does not know his role in Chan's offense tells you something.

My guess is that Chan does not want every receiver having a certain role, like you do deep post, you go middle, he runs slants, etc. In other words, Chan is big on unpredictability. Every receiver should be able to do all types of routes.

I know not every NFL offense operates that way and Lee obviously did not buy into it. I'm not saying Lee is wrong because there are successful offenses in NFL that cater to individual strength exculsively. It's just not Gailey's which has proven to be successful as well. In that regard, it's probably better for Lee and Chan to part their ways.

From that little tidbit, you can also get an idea of the kind of QB Chan prefers. Hint: it's not someone automatically looking for jersey number 83 deep if 83 is on the field. When the ball is snapped, the QB sees the defense breaks (with some pre-snap look as well), with the knowledge of the route of each receiver, he should know then where the ball should go - before he's pummelled.
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Interesting quote from Evans Q&A @Ravens

You can only run 9 routes so many times before teams adjust and cover it.

Comment

• bf1
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
      You can only run 9 routes so many times before teams adjust and cover it.
      Especially when there are no other real threats.

Comment

• Blogabills
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by bf1
        Especially when there are no other real threats.
        I gotta say I would think Stevie J. qualified as a "real threat" last year...
        In-depth stats-based blog about the Bills and the NFL at Blog-a-Bills or follow us on Twitter @blogabills...

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

i remember during the lockout there was some article with evans saying that he was planning to be used a lot of different ways for the upcoming season. but i guess if he really didn't wnt to do it, and there was a team willing to let you do what you do best, then it was a good move for him.

I still remember a game vs. Baltimore in Buffalo where Edwards (in the middle of the JP vs edwards debate) dropped a sure over the middle touchdown with no one on him. That made me very skeptical of him being anything mroe than go long down the sidelines. He wasn't going to get a 6 yard slant and go the distance. he wsn't going to use his speed on a reverse.

if he can't do those things, and that's what gailey wants/needs, its useless to keep him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Blogabills
            would have been nice to see what could have happened if teams paid more attention to Stevie which would in turn free Lee up on 1 on 1 . Thats what they are looking to do in Balt. Then again they have the qb to go deep on a regular basis while Ftiz isn't that acurate.

Oh well. Time to move on. Hope Donald Jones turns out to be what Chan hopes him to be. Same goes with Easely
            Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Blogabills
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              would have been nice to see what could have happened if teams paid more attention to Stevie which would in turn free Lee up on 1 on 1 . Thats what they are looking to do in Balt. Then again they have the qb to go deep on a regular basis while Ftiz isn't that acurate.

Oh well. Time to move on. Hope Donald Jones turns out to be what Chan hopes him to be. Same goes with Easely
              Let's hope at least one of them works out or Stevie will be seeing man coverage while also seeing a safety over the top shaded to his side on every single down.
              Last edited by Blogabills; 08-17-2011, 03:07 PM.
              In-depth stats-based blog about the Bills and the NFL at Blog-a-Bills or follow us on Twitter @blogabills...

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Blogabills
                or even TO 2 years ago

Comment

• cocamide
                  • Oct 2006

I have a lot of respect for Lee, and he's done everything right, but he's not getting younger. How many more years will he be a deep threat?

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by cocamide
                    I have a lot of respect for Lee, and he's done everything right, but he's not getting younger. How many more years will he be a deep threat?
                    His legs are fine, he still is fast, he has not had any major injuries. I think he can play another 6-7 years & be productive.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

Lee + Steve at least compares to Lee + Anquan. I'm still not sure why this combo couldn't work. Too enamored with 2nd year UDFAs is what Nix claimed.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                        http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s-wr-lee-evans

Evans: It's hard to say. I don't know exactly what my role was when Chan and those guys came in. Obviously, my biggest attribute is speed and being a downfield threat. That's kind of how [Baltimore] wants to use me, and I think that's why they brought me here. If you look at Anquan Boldin, he can do everything over the middle. And I think they want me to be able to stretch the field vertically.
                        "When Chan asked me to do something other than go deep, I got lost."
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

When the ball is snapped, the QB sees the defense breaks (with some pre-snap look as well), with the knowledge of the route of each receiver, he should know then where the ball should go - before he's pummelled.
                          Even if that's 0.00002 seconds.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            "When Chan asked me to do something other than go deep, I got lost."
                            Why would he need to do anything else? I run Hail Mary's all the time on Madden.

Comment

• acehole
                              • Jan 2006

I think it is simpler.

He just didnt fit bills new system.

Chan cant ask him to get killed over middle.

Square peg round hole.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s-wr-lee-evans

That more than a year passed and he still does not know his role in Chan's offense tells you something.

My guess is that Chan does not want every receiver having a certain role, like you do deep post, you go middle, he runs slants, etc. In other words, Chan is big on unpredictability. Every receiver should be able to do all types of routes.

I know not every NFL offense operates that way and Lee obviously did not buy into it. I'm not saying Lee is wrong because there are successful offenses in NFL that cater to individual strength exculsively. It's just not Gailey's which has proven to be successful as well. In that regard, it's probably better for Lee and Chan to part their ways.

From that little tidbit, you can also get an idea of the kind of QB Chan prefers. Hint: it's not someone automatically looking for jersey number 83 deep if 83 is on the field. When the ball is snapped, the QB sees the defense breaks (with some pre-snap look as well), with the knowledge of the route of each receiver, he should know then where the ball should go - before he's pummelled.
                              Hated by the stupid..
                              Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                              X