Roger Goodell "convinced" Mike Vick to sign with Philly, instead of Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Roger Goodell "convinced" Mike Vick to sign with Philly, instead of Buffalo?

Check this out: http://deadspin.com/5831987/

"I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

Those two teams wanted him and would've allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced—and granted league approval—to sign with Philly.
    "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation."

So can we presume that Michael Vick was forbidden from signing with Cincy or Buffalo for big-time starter money two seasons ago because Goodell and other NFL parole officers thought he should serve more probation as a third-stringer on the Eagles instead? Because I'd be irked by that if I were a fan of either one of those teams if that were the case.
    I don't know how credible this is, but according to the site, it's part of an interview in GQ Magazine... Thought it was interesting enough to share.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM.
  • Hogwasher
    • Aug 2010

Re: Roger Goodell "convinced" Mike Vick to sign with Philly, instead of Buffalo?

We all know the fix is in.

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

Re: Roger Goodell "convinced" Mike Vick to sign with Philly, instead of Buffalo?

Almost everyone on the site didn't want him anyways... I'm sure most of you will be singing a different tune after reading this.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

I WANTED VICK SO ****ING BADLY

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
          Will not tolerate vandalism.
          • Apr 2006

Vick wouldn't have been eligible to cross the Canadian border to play in the Toronto Series, since he's a convicted felon. It'd have thrown a wrench into a lot of things.

If this is true, however, and if the Bills had enough cojones to push the issue, they'd have a pretty strong case of league tampering on their hands.

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho
            I WANTED VICK SO ****ING BADLY
            ME 2......
            The rest of the fans couldn't put the past to the past.

I guess Mike Vick is a pretty good player..
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

??? I have why would Goodell do that to the Bills?
              The guy has ties to the western NY area....
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Next to no one wanted any part of Michael Vick in Buffalo anyways before last season.

And why would the league want him to go to Philly? They coulda stuck him in Dallas, NY- either - or San Diego - since that's the team that's gonna move to LA anyways.

Comment

• TonyIncredible
                  • Apr 2010

If this is all really true then I must say I'm a goodell hater now. But I ponder the same question that tampabay has
                  Still The One and Only

Comment

• Demon
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                    ??? I have why would Goodell do that to the Bills?
                    The guy has ties to the western NY area....
                    I think that is obvious. Vick wouldnt be marketable in Buffalo, unlike he is in Philly. it's all about the all-mighty dollar.
                    Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jaybird
                      Almost everyone on the site didn't want him anyways... I'm sure most of you will be singing a different tune after reading this.
                      Honestly, my issue isn't with if people did or din't want him... The commissioner, or any other NFL suit, for that matter, should have absolutely ZERO influence on what team, or under what circumstances, ANY NFL player chooses to sign with.

I'm not as much worried about him NOT signing with the Bills as I am with the possibility that he was not ALLOWED or STRONGLY DISCOURAGED from signing with ANY NFL team, for ANY reason.

Given Goodell's track record of being a very "hands-on" commissioner, especially when compared to Tagliabue and even Rozelle before him, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Goodell DID strongly encourage Vick to play with Philly, as opposed to Buffalo or Cincy.

Look at it this way: If he signs with the Bills or Bengals and they continue to suck, it doesn't make NEARLY as good of a "comeback story" as it does if he succeeds with the eagles, who were pretty darn good without him.

I'm not saying that Goodell and the NFL suits PROHIBITED him from playing, but think about it from Vick's perspective... Why NOT go to a team and have an immediate chance to start, as opposed to being a 3rd stringer... Hell, the Eagles already had McNabb and Kolb on the team.

It certainly raises some eyebrows...

-Bill

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
                        • Aug 2008

It's a bit disappointing, but he wouldn't have been half the player he is under Reid with us. Although he'd have been an upgrade over Trent obviously, but really would Jauron utilize him properly? Not a chance. He'd likely be out after one year with a new regime.

If true, what Goodell did is very disingenuous but everyone here understands why the decision was made. The Buffalo Bills as an organization have a poor reputation and are a clown operation, let's be honest. I have to believe Goodell did what was in the best interest of the NFL. I can fault him for a lot of things, but not here.
                        Last edited by RoscoeMagic; 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM.
                        Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          Next to no one wanted any part of Michael Vick in Buffalo anyways before last season.

And why would the league want him to go to Philly? They coulda stuck him in Dallas, NY- either - or San Diego - since that's the team that's gonna move to LA anyways.
                          Yea I would say 20% of this site.
                          But the ones that thought he was good were probably roght...
                          GO Gators!!!!!!
                          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                            !?!?!?!?!?
                            • Mar 2006

in all honesty...the vick thing was best for all parties involved...reid maximizes the potential for all of his QBs...he needs to win now and the bills need to build for the future and vick would not be around long enough to be a part of that

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Demon
                              I think that is obvious. Vick wouldnt be marketable in Buffalo, unlike he is in Philly. it's all about the all-mighty dollar.
                              Yea but you know Bills fans......
                              They forget things as long as he played good.
                              They would give him a key to Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse....
                              He would have sold a ton of jerseys....

But we will never know....
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X