• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

NFL, union mull punishments for college rule breakers

Personally, I LOVE this idea... Dunno how far it will get, but interesting nonetheless...

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

A variety of league sources tell me the NFL would like to enact fines and possibly even suspensions for a player once he enters the NFL if that player was found to have broken rules while in college.

Such an action would be unprecedented in American professional sports. While it seems unlikely to survive legal challenges, it's an indication the NFL sees the increasing college scandals as a threat to its image. The main concern some in the NFL have is that college players have no fear of punishment once they reach the NFL so they behave with impunity on the college level.

The idea is that such rules would make players think twice about accepting impermissible benefits and then running to the NFL.
    Makes a LOT of sense, which is why I see it probably not happening.

-Bill
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: NFL, union mull punishments for college rule breakers

This would make tons of sense. It's gotten out of hand the way these guys cruise through life doing whatever they please. And it's rarely them who actually end up paying the consequences, it's usually guys 5-10 years down the road who ended up at the same school.

There is zero justice in college football, it's sad that the NFL feels like bringing these kinds of rules into existence.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Dujek
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Jan 2008

Re: NFL, union mull punishments for college rule breakers

Pryor has been handed a five game suspension if he is drafted in the supplemental draft. Let's see how this goes from here...

Comment

Working...
      X