PDA

View Full Version : Same Old ***** From Bills Brass!

bigbub2352
08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I used to...but one thing i can't believe is the fact that Buddy Nix our GM and Chan Gailey our HC both have now to the media stated we have no depth on our Oline...

How as a professional franchise can you operate like this...especially with 3 open roster spots..and 30 mil to spend...these are sad days we are living as Bills Fans

There has to be more to this...we trade a well like vet to Balt for nothing...we cut yet another bust...with two more bust's on the horizon in Spiller and McKelvin...

I am williling to use the usual wait and see approach on Spiller...but this is why u don't draft a gadget player at 9...they are there in every draft and can be found much later in the draft

But in my opnion Mckelvin is a bust other wise why draft yet another 3 Db's in this draft and resign Florence if McKelvin was a starting caliber CB...sad

They refuse to draft Oline early and we are stuck with a starting RG cut by another team a starting RT cut by 3 other clubs...and undersized LG..and a former 7th rd pick at LT...who lets face it looks overmatched out there in practice against our Defense...add a starting TE cut by two other teams

Really?

Really RW?

thought there was change coming..

So SAD

Jan Reimers
08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately, I agree with everything you've said, bb.

jamze132
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Couldn't agree more. Our O-line has been neglected for a decade now. The ball is moved via a good line. Wonder why we punt all of the time?

Historian
08-18-2011, 11:04 AM
One legit starter on the line: Eric Wood.

Pray he stays healthy.

madness
08-18-2011, 11:27 AM
We could just dismantle our young promising DL. I can understand your point though. We should be able to fix every single hole on this team in a single season and we are on what... year 2 now? Why bother addressing the league's worst defense first?

Getting a 4th for a 30 year old speed receiver who can't run a full route tree and will probably lose another step by next season was fair market value. Unless they were desperate, nobody in their right mind would have offered a higher pick especially since the value of draft picks have shot through the roof with the new CBA.

This season will confirm if Nix was able to reverse the downward trend of this defense and then I would say the next logical step would be addressing the OL.

trapezeus
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm ok with them calling out the line. it's better than having jauron say he'll look at the tape and then nothing happens.

but it's true, this team is so pathetically thin on the line. if levtrie is getting pushed out, they really have nothing.

yeah, they have excess money, but there isn't anyone to spend it on. if the plan is to just roll with what we hvae and use next year's draft to go offense only, that'll be some progress.

Do any of you follow Ed Wang on twitter? I am convinced this guy isn't going to amount to much. he never sleeps, he tweets all the time, he tweets about bad foods, and he isnt' that great to begin with.

I think the writing is on the wall that the offense is going to take a huge step back this year. but i really hope that the defense is finally fixed.

psubills62
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
We really needed another one of these threads from the Irritants?

I'd say more, but I think madness covered the primary points of what I'd write.

Jan Reimers
08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
We really needed another one of these threads from the Irritants?

I'd say more, but I think madness covered the primary points of what I'd write.
I'm not an irritant, I'm just plain irritated. I agree that we went a long way toward addressing the D, but we also had plenty of money to at least begin to improve our OT and TE positions in FA. Instead, we did NOTHING.

Waiting another 2 years, when we've already waited 11 for ONE playoff game, is simply no longer acceptable to this long suffering fan.

BertSquirtgum
08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm not high on this team after the evans trade but i still get sick of all the threads with people crying woe is me, my team sucks. get over it, it is what it is and ralph will do nothing to change that. if you can't handle it, go pick another team to watch.

BillsOverDolphins
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Just sign some god damn lineman for *****sake...Old, injured, who cares? Just bring their asses in and see if they can compete with the two turnstiles on the right side.

bigbub2352
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
same **** different day....say whatever you want but we are in the preseason with 3 now possibly 4 roster spots open (chris hazely released)...and have the gm and the coach saying we have no depth on the oline.....duh sign some...still got three games to see what they can do

sad that this is what it is

Historian
08-18-2011, 12:14 PM
...but if you sign someone now...how will they ever learn the new offense that will be installed when the offensive coordinator is fired three days after the last preseason game?????

psubills62
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not an irritant, I'm just plain irritated. I agree that we went a long way toward addressing the D, but we also had plenty of money to at least begin to improve our OT and TE positions in FA. Instead, we did NOTHING.

Waiting another 2 years, when we've already waited 11 for ONE playoff game, is simply no longer acceptable to this long suffering fan.
It's not a matter of "acceptable," it's a matter of "reality," which a lot of Irritants claim to be a fan of.

As far as the OL goes, I've been over that many times. I'm as unhappy with it as anyone, but the fact of the matter is they had many holes to fill. I would think people who like to see the trenches filled would have been happy with what the Bills have done the last two years in focusing on the front 7 and particularly the DL.

Would people here be any happier if they had built up the OL but ignored the DL? I'll freely admit they aren't mutually exclusive, but 1) they obviously have a plan (whether people choose to see it or not), and 2) they are obviously unhappy with the OL, which means they will address it.

Considering what they've done so far, I'm willing to wait and see how they plan to address the OL in the future. If they don't work on it much at all next year, then I'll be as pissed as the Irritants are. And as far as TE goes...does anyone wonder why guys like Zach Miller and Kevin Boss were on the market for so long? TE's just aren't that important of a position, especially for Gailey. And considering the mentions of Chandler at camp, I have no problem waiting to see what he does during the season.

BillsOverDolphins
08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
...but if you sign someone now...how will they ever learn the new offense that will be installed when the offensive coordinator is fired three days after the last preseason game?????

:laughing:

The Buffalo Bills 2011 Comedy Tour...coming to a stadium near you!

psubills62
08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm not high on this team after the evans trade but i still get sick of all the threads with people crying woe is me, my team sucks. get over it, it is what it is and ralph will do nothing to change that. if you can't handle it, go pick another team to watch.
People always complain about the homerism, but it's the Irritants that make threads over and over that contribute nothing new.

Historian
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I used to..

Jan Reimers
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Considering what they've done so far, I'm willing to wait and see how they plan to address the OL in the future.
This optimist-turned-irritant feels that after 11 barren seasons, the future should be NOW.

By the time we address the O-Line in the future, the D will have begun to crumble from age (Barnett, Florence, McGhee, Wilson, Edwards, etc.), injury, and the usual Free Agent defections. And the rebuilding carousel will continue to go round and round and round. As it has for 11 straight seasons.

What the good teams do, is try to build a decent offense and defense, AT THE SAME TIME.

trapezeus
08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
what can you do but wait though.

they went after a decent OL guy and lost out to him. it's a bit naive on their part that they think they can bid the same bid's that other teams offer when they have a track record of sucking as long as they did. IF they were committed, they would have put up some more cash for clabo and ended that.

But they didn't because bean counting is important to them. And they don't even do that well when they send out $1MM to Evans and have to pay the balance of Maybin's salary.

There aren't any OL to sign now. Spending money for the sake of spending it is a bad idea. I'll spot them the ability to wait to spend the money on better talent next year.

but i also won't pretend that this teamis even close to playoff ready. this year is all about defense getting together. if you can accept that, this year will be a lot easier to deal with. If you want to see them sweep the pats, you'll be in for a lot of disappointment. However, i'll say this. I'm probably missing that pats game due to a wedding. So chances are,they could win that game. Figures.

psubills62
08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
This optimist-turned-irritant feels that after 11 barren seasons, the future should be NOW.

By the time we address the O-Line in the future, the D will have begun to crumble from age (Barnett, Florence, McGhee, Wilson, Edwards, etc.), injury, and the usual Free Agent defections. And the rebuilding carousel will continue to go round and round and round. As it has for 11 straight seasons.

What the good teams do, is try to build a decent offense and defense, AT THE SAME TIME.
Not when you develop the younger guys to replace the older ones and re-sign the guys who do become talented.

Why do you think they've been signing guys older than 30 to 3 or fewer years?

psubills62
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
they went after a decent OL guy and lost out to him. it's a bit naive on their part that they think they can bid the same bid's that other teams offer when they have a track record of sucking as long as they did. IF they were committed, they would have put up some more cash for clabo and ended that.

I agree with your post, except this part. It may have just been rumblings from the fans, but I thought the Bills offered significantly more than what Clabo got - he just wanted to return to the Falcons in the end. He had a lot of reasons to. I don't think you can say definitively that they haven't offered more to these guys.

bigbub2352
08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I never expected them to fill all the holes...they have only had a decade to get some legitatmate starters in here...remember Nix was a scout here when we drafted maybin...

Im saying 4 spots on roster open yet no UDFA Olineman signed No one cut by another team signed to the Oline and no FA Olineman signed to help them with DEPTH...im not saying go buy a starting unit...we need DEPTH

Jan Reimers
08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Not when you develop the younger guys to replace the older ones and re-sign the guys who do become talented.

Why do you think they've been signing guys older than 30 to 3 or fewer years?
I understand what you're saying in all of your posts, because I was once an optimist, too. I've simply become skeptical of the "building for the future" approach, because it just hasn't worked. I know we're early in the Buddy/Chan era, and maybe it finally will, but until I see a playoff season, I'll remain an irrational, irritable irritant.

psubills62
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I understand what you're saying in all of your posts, because I was once an optimist, too. I've simply become skeptical of the "building for the future" approach, because it just hasn't worked. I know we're early in the Buddy/Chan era, and maybe it finally will, but until I see a playoff season, I'll remain an irrational, irritable irritant.
I understand that. But what I don't understand is when people say that this approach can't work. Saying you don't believe it will work because Wilson is in charge, etc., is one thing. But saying it can't work is just dead wrong. It's obvious from many of the good teams around the league that it can and does work.

I'm optimistic mainly because the guys currently in the FO are doing a better (not perfect) job than the chumps previously. JMO.