PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Pryor is in Supplemental Draft

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
The news is in the quote, the opinion is in the link.

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2011/08/pryor-in-supp-draft-but-at-what-cost/

Today the NFL officially declared QB Terrelle Pryor eligible for its rescheduled NFL Supplemental Draft. However that eligibility comes at the price of having to miss the first 5 games of the regular season to include all practices. Pryor will still be able to attend team and position meetings however.

psubills62
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Suspension good for PR and nothing else. Like he was going to play during the first five (or 16) games anyway.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Suspension good for PR and nothing else. Like he was going to play during the first five (or 16) games anyway.

Missed reps is the first issue (and its a massive one) and what is he being suspended for? What NFL rule did he break?

Ed
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Missed reps is the first issue (and its a massive one) and what is he being suspended for? What NFL rule did he break?
Being a big douche?

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Being a big douche?

Well while I wont deny he's guilty of that, if that was a suspendable offense there would be no NFL season.

psubills62
08-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I would say "common sense" but that's obviously not an NFL rule. And I'm not sure why you're asking me...I never said I agreed or disagreed with it. I don't think it will end up mattering anyway - kid's got bust written all over him.

He's already missed plenty of reps in TC, this was practically going to be a lost year anyway.

Just thinking out loud here, but I know there's a requirement that a player be 3 years out of HS before entering the NFL - does that requirement say anything about maintaining amateur status? I'm assuming not, or else someone would have brought it up by now.

jamze132
08-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I would spend 6th. Gailey might be able to get something out of him.

Ed
08-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Well while I wont deny he's guilty of that, if that was a suspendable offense there would be no NFL season.
He obviously didn't break any NFL rule, so I think it's just a power play by the league to demonstrate their authority. I think it's just a message to say that you may be able to avoid punishment and discipline in college, but the NFL has it's own rules and can do what it wants, so they're putting Pryor on notice to fall in line quickly.

Ingtar33
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM

because the only reason the NCAA allowed him to play in the bowl game was because he promised he would return to OSU next year and serve his suspension. I suspect the NFL is suspending him the 5 games he was supposed to sit for the NCAA

lightningbolt444
08-18-2011, 01:25 PM
because the only reason the NCAA allowed him to play in the bowl game was because he promised he would return to OSU next year and serve his suspension. I suspect the NFL is suspending him the 5 games he was supposed to sit for the NCAA

That has nothing at all to do with the NFL. I think its a joke if it is for anything to do with while he was in college. Did Reggie Bush get suspended? Will Cam Newton get suspended if the ncaa finds something? What about all these Miami players?

Forward_Lateral
08-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Can you break down how the supplemental draft works for us that don't know, Draftboy? If they draft him in the 1st round, do they lose a 1st round pick next year?

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Incorrect, the only reason Ohio State allowed him to play. The NCAA has made no ruling on a punishment at that time.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 01:58 PM
He obviously didn't break any NFL rule, so I think it's just a power play by the league to demonstrate their authority. I think it's just a message to say that you may be able to avoid punishment and discipline in college, but the NFL has it's own rules and can do what it wants, so they're putting Pryor on notice to fall in line quickly.

But not the others who committed actual crimes or has the offenses plus academic fraud?

Im calling out the double standard not neccesairly the suspension.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Can you break down how the supplemental draft works for us that don't know, Draftboy? If they draft him in the 1st round, do they lose a 1st round pick next year?
There are 6 eligible players in this years draft.

On Monday each GM (who so chooses) will email the league with a bid for any of all of the players.
-You may bid only one pick per player and highest bid wins his right.

-In case of a tie breaker I believe they resort back to the previous April's draft list and select the lower (or worse) team.

-If your bid is selected you then forfeit you pick for the next April's draft and get the rights to the player.

The Bills have 9 picks in the coming draft;
1st
2nd
3rd
4th-2
5th
6th-2
7th

Ed
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
But not the others who committed actual crimes or has the offenses plus academic fraud?

Im calling out the double standard not neccesairly the suspension.
I don't know, maybe this is kind of a first step for the NFL in a new approach in how they deal with these kind of situations. Maybe they realize that what's going on in college is also giving the NFL a bad image.

B-DON
08-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I Bet we spend a 4th on him

paranoid
08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
This ruling greatly expands the arm of discipline that Commissioner Roger Goodell already uses on his players. The idea that the NFL can and will now suspend a player based on what he did prior to getting into the NFL is such a obvious overreaction that we are stunned by the ruling.

I thought that this was something that was currently under discussison between the NFLPA and the NFL, and was not some power that Goodell already had?

Maybe Goodell should retroactively suspend Vilmer and Wilfork for their U of Miami shenanigans.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Ya I think a 4th is fair. And only 2 teams can beat us with a 4th Rder in tiebreaker. I dont see a team giving up a 3rd.

Ed
08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
There are 6 eligible players in this years draft.

On Monday each GM (who so chooses) will email the league with a bid for any of all of the players.
-You may bid only one pick per player and highest bid wins his right.

-In case of a tie breaker I believe they resort back to the previous April's draft list and select the lower (or worse) team.

-If your bid is selected you then forfeit you pick for the next April's draft and get the rights to the player.

The Bills have 9 picks in the coming draft;
1st
2nd
3rd
4th-2
5th
6th-2
7th
I thought I heard somewhere that you can only use your original pick and not traded picks for the supplemental draft, but I may be thinking of something else. Is this true?

Blogabills
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
That has nothing at all to do with the NFL. I think its a joke if it is for anything to do with while he was in college. Did Reggie Bush get suspended? Will Cam Newton get suspended if the ncaa finds something? What about all these Miami players?

It looks to me this is specifically about his behavior and how it relates to the impact on the NFL Draft itself. While Bush and Newton made major missteps in college, I'm guessing their mistakes don't constitute the same "threat" to the "integrity" of the draft than Pryor's, since Pryor's dealt specifically with him doing stuff like hiring an agent.

I'm not saying I agree. I don't. Just pointing out the justification.

And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't go near him with a ten foot pole. You'll get him this year, but he's missed all of camp and would miss 5 games. So he's already a year behind, sitting as the 3rd string QB for a season. Then he comes back next year and all of the sudden is ready to start? I know he's athletic, but as a Michigan fan I've seen him a few times. He is nowhere near the QB Newton was in college. He might be as athletic, but can barely hit the broadside of a barn sometimes.

I'd compare him more to Russell than Newton. Questionable character, not much in the way of leadership skills (that we've seen), and strong but inaccurate arm. Although two of those apply to Newton as well.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that you can only use your original pick and not traded picks for the supplemental draft, but I may be thinking of something else. Is this true?

That is true, you can only use your original picks however its good to know if we have an extra pick in a round, hence the inclusion of those.

Ed
08-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I put in a 6th for McAdoo.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I thought that this was something that was currently under discussison between the NFLPA and the NFL, and was not some power that Goodell already had?

Maybe Goodell should retroactively suspend Vilmer and Wilfork for their U of Miami shenanigans.

What power arewe referring to? Goodell has disciplinary powers under the Personal Conduct code, but nothing listed there was violated by Pryor.

Further Y! found out that the NFLPA was ready to go to war over Pryor's suspension but Rosenhaus said they'd take the suspension.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I put in a 6th for McAdoo.

Id put in a 4th.

tampabay25690
08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Id put in a 4th.

yea Im with you a 4th.
I could see the Bills throwing a 6th at Pryor just to see...

lightningbolt444
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Not that I want it to happen but is it possible to put two claims in? I am not big on Pryor but I could see Gailey thinking he would fit in the Offense. McAdoo I am very high on even with the limited tape on him.

mikemac2001
08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
when is this draft

SpillerThrills
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
when is this draft

Monday

Ed
08-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Id put in a 4th.
It seems to me that with the supplemental draft, players tend to go for less than what people expect.

I can't really see Nix being willing to use that high of a pick on a guy with limited experience.

Ed
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Not that I want it to happen but is it possible to put two claims in? I am not big on Pryor but I could see Gailey thinking he would fit in the Offense. McAdoo I am very high on even with the limited tape on him.
Probably, as long as you don't submit the same pick for each player.

The Jokeman
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Id put in a 4th.
I usually agree with you but a 4th on a depth guy? If we're having this discussion in April for the regular draft McAdoo is at best a 6th or 7th Rounder. I've found it interesting the Bills never filled Lee Evans roster spot with anyone and now they've released our camp leg kicker it tells me we're definiately eyeing to bring someone in. The question now is whom.

The Jokeman
08-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Two bids as in for two players? Sure we could bid on every player. Yet I can't see is goiing after Pryor as we already have Brad Smith why do we need a taller version?

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
It seems to me that with the supplemental draft, players tend to go for less than what people expect.

I can't really see Nix being willing to use that high of a pick on a guy with limited experience.

His upside is that of a top end prospect. Many people believe that had he played last year we would not know who Paige-Moss even is.

DraftBoy
08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I usually agree with you but a 4th on a depth guy? If we're having this discussion in April for the regular draft McAdoo is at best a 6th or 7th Rounder. I've found it interesting the Bills never filled Lee Evans roster spot with anyone and now they've released our camp leg kicker it tells me we're definiately eyeing to bring someone in. The question now is whom.

I disagree, if this was April and McAdoo had played a full year there is no way he is only a 6th or 7th rounder.

Mr. Pink
08-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I'd be shocked if anyone bids on him.

kishoph
08-19-2011, 03:23 AM

I wouldn't bother with him, the only place I can see him fitting in is the role that BRAD SMITH has now and so far I'm pretty happy with SMITH.

Night Train
08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
As a Buckeye fan, I saw all his games. He needs TONS of coaching and the silly 5 game suspension means nothing. He's an early 2012 pick with more learning time and would never have been activated for most all games this coming year. Practice,watch & learn.

Athletic Freak, little question but he needs time. Needs to learn how to set his feet instead of throwing on the run. Erratic. Too much college playground ball in him, at present but coaches love projects if they can work with him for a year.

Still, there looks to be 4,5 legit 1st Round QB types this coming April, something that has been lacking for the last few years as teams continued to overdraft middle round QB talent.

Bills could be curious because the Fitz contract is done in 5 months. Gailey loves the athletic freak type. Just sayin'

DraftBoy
08-19-2011, 07:19 AM
I'd be shocked if anyone bids on him.

Pryor or McAdoo?

DraftBoy
08-19-2011, 07:20 AM
As a Buckeye fan, I saw all his games. He needs TONS of coaching and the silly 5 game suspension means nothing. He's an early 2012 pick with more learning time and would never have been activated for most all games this coming year. Practice,watch & learn.

Athletic Freak, little question but he needs time. Needs to learn how to set his feet instead of throwing on the run. Erratic. Too much college playground ball in him, at present but coaches love projects if they can work with him for a year.

Still, there looks to be 4,5 legit 1st Round QB types this coming April, something that has been lacking for the last few years as teams continued to overdraft middle round QB talent.

Bills could be curious because the Fitz contract is done in 5 months. Gailey loves the athletic freak type. Just sayin'

I think these are all good points and I cant discount the Bills being a possible destination, as much as fans would hate it.

For me (and as Ill write on Monday) Id bid a 4th on Mcadoo and a 7th on Pryor.

Mr. Pink
08-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Pryor or McAdoo?

Pryor.

better days
08-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I think these are all good points and I cant discount the Bills being a possible destination, as much as fans would hate it.

For me (and as Ill write on Monday) Id bid a 4th on Mcadoo and a 7th on Pryor.

As others have said, why bother with Pryor when the Bills have Smith?

DraftBoy
08-19-2011, 07:35 AM
As others have said, why bother with Pryor when the Bills have Smith?

Smith isn't a QB with any descernable skill.

Pryor has some QB skills, we have no long term answer at the moment and if you can get a guy with his physical skill set and teach him the game and have him understand it that's valuable. Now in a normal draft he'd go in Round 4-5 and I wouldnt want that risk but in the 7th..why not?

Same reason we took Jasper, physical ability who needs to be taught the game and the position.

People love the Jasper pick but would hate Pryor? Makes little sense to me.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-19-2011, 07:41 AM
McAdoo is interesting, but how can anyone judge how he is going to be, he can't have very much experience and has not played in over a year.

Pryor is not a good quarterback. I can't see him doing anything in the NFL. He needs so much work.

Dr. Who
08-19-2011, 07:57 AM
He's certainly worth a seventh round flyer.

k-oneputt
08-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Pryor is a wr/te in the NFL.

If he were willing to switch positions I would use a 4th or 5th.
If he insists on playing qb use a 7th, then change his position anyways.

The Jokeman
08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
I disagree, if this was April and McAdoo had played a full year there is no way he is only a 6th or 7th rounder.
But he didn't play a full year. As a result....

Smith isn't a QB with any descernable skill.

Pryor has some QB skills, we have no long term answer at the moment and if you can get a guy with his physical skill set and teach him the game and have him understand it that's valuable. Now in a normal draft he'd go in Round 4-5 and I wouldnt want that risk but in the 7th..why not?

Same reason we took Jasper, physical ability who needs to be taught the game and the position.

People love the Jasper pick but would hate Pryor? Makes little sense to me.
I think people don't like the idea of Pryor because of wanting QB answered right now and not have to wait. I won't deny his physical skills but his hiding his decreation etc. shows to me he doesn't have great leadership skills and if there's something the Bills need on O it's that. Fitzpatrick seems to have that but of course lacks in a lot of the physical stuff etc. I wonder about Pryor's short game and accuracy and wanting to put in the work to be an NFL QB as to me that's what seperates the elite (Brady, Brees and P Manning) from the average QBs.

Bert102176
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
we have lots of people on this team we don't know about y not add another and see what he can do