• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Tim Graham: Ralph refused to consider Vick

Fresh off his Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ByTimGraham/status/104268013821362176

Vick to Bills: Source tells me Goodell info moot even if true. Ralph Wilson refused to consider Vick despite interest from football dept.
    So, acording to Graham, the Bills' football department had interest in Vick, but Ralph wouldn't consider it... I really don't like that.

-Bill
  • Prov401
    President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
    • Aug 2008

Re: Tim Graham: Ralph refused to consider Vick

I'm sure a bunch of people are going to whine about this, but 90% of this board didn't want Vick. And Ralph, along with most of the NFL, didn't want the hoop-la surrounding Vick to become a distraction. I'm not defending Ralph, I'm just saying most people's biggest gripe with Vick 2 years ago (fans/owners alike) was that he was a sick, inhumane bastard that shouldn't put on the pads for their respective teams because of what he did.

Anyway, no use in crying over spilled milk.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i just didn't think vick would come back with 2 years in the clink. and i don't think he would have amounted to much with jauron and co as his mentors. he got a great deal with the eagles. sat behind a good QB, was able to come in on a couple wildcat plays, work out and get into football shape without stress of having to perform, and then take advantage of his shot.

on the bills he would have been immediately thrown into the starter light, even though he might not be up to football shape, you'd have had TO calling for vick much more publically than he did for Fitz, and you'd have a FO that doesn't think QB is a need for this team. and it might make them think they don't have an OL problem.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Is this surprising? Isn't that what people keep saying about Ralph - he's a shrewd businessman? He knows when moves would be bad for business.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Blogabills
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Prov401
          I'm sure a bunch of people are going to whine about this, but 90% of this board didn't want Vick. And Ralph, along with most of the NFL, didn't want the hoop-la surrounding Vick to become a distraction. I'm not defending Ralph, I'm just saying most people's biggest gripe with Vick 2 years ago (fans/owners alike) was that he was a sick, inhumane bastard that shouldn't put on the pads for their respective teams because of what he did.

There was a lot of talk about the fact that he just wasn't performing his last few years in ATL like he used to.

Remember when Vick got reinstated? There were people wondering if any owner would want him representing their organization.

I know Ralph gets a lot of potshots taken at him, some fair, some not, but he was definitely not the only owner who did not want Vick at that time. Easy to forget now since apparently Nike is in bed with Vick again, but he was still poison for a very long time, and it's not like Ralph had so much goodwill in the community he could do something that would've alienated so much of the fanbase, even if he wanted to.
          In-depth stats-based blog about the Bills and the NFL at Blog-a-Bills or follow us on Twitter @blogabills...

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

thumbs up for Ralph

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

At the time, it would have been a PR disaster for the Bills.

Plus the cunning Jauron would have made him a CB.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

I'm glad Ralph didn't want him

Comment

• IAG
                  • Jan 2005

Because he SUCKS as an owner. I have said since he fired Bill Pollian.

Comment

• dog14787
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Prov401

You said it Prov, based on most polls/ discussions , the majority of the Bills fan base didn't want Mike Vick in Buffalo. Myself personally,I know that for a fact because I was trying to change everyone's opinion/perception of him at the time, but to no avail, it just wasn't happening.

In hindsight its easy to say that damn RW , he screwed us up again, but in reality Ralph was probably in tune with the fans and said, "no, the fans don't want him here, so its not happening."

Imagine that... dog... mans best friend... defending Mike Vick... who would have thunked it...
                    Last edited by Figster; 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by IAG
                      Because he SUCKS as an owner. I have said since he fired Bill Pollian.
                      Correction, Wilson's a great business owner but a horrible football team owner.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                        !?!?!?!?!?
                        • Mar 2006

stop dwelling on this Vick thing...i don't blame anyone for this...he probably wouldnt be playing as well with us anyway...good for Vick...nice comeback...now the bills need to make a comeback...end of story

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                          stop dwelling on this Vick thing...i don't blame anyone for this...he probably wouldnt be playing as well with us anyway...good for Vick...nice comeback...now the bills need to make a comeback...end of story
                          As the great Bruce Smith once famously said, this whole Vick thing is "Water over the bridge."
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

I still don't want him.

Hope for his sake, he's learned his lesson, but I'm comfortable with our QB.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                              • Jan 2003

I did not want him either. Still don't but Im glad he seems to have put himself on the right track.
                              The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                              X