PDA

View Full Version : Pat Moran

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 08:22 AM
What do you have to say? Are you still standing behind your story, and your source?

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Yup, just looked it up, and he is standing by it.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/
What I won’t do, at all costs is retract a single word I wrote. I stand by my story, the source and won’t apologize, even if it’s clearly something no Bills fan wanted to hear.
Did I not expect a firm denial after the story was published? I’m not the brightest bulb in the world, but come on.
I’ve read an exuberant amount of complaints saying I made this story up out of the blue sky.
Simply put—- that’s preposterous.

Apparently not...

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 08:33 AM
First, unless he (Moran) was there, or he knows someone in border patrol, he has no idea what went on. To say that you KNOW the stop wasn't routine is idiotic. You don't KNOW anything.
Second, if it is someone in border patrol, I hope someone exposes them and they lose their job.

Also, to report that it's not against the law to have steroids in your possession is completely false, unless they are prescribed to you. C'mon Pat, this entire situation reeks of hack.

ddaryl
08-19-2011, 08:36 AM
from what we all can tell the lad only had one source... Journalism 101 states at minimum to separate sources...

but billszone should insist he remove any affiliation with his BSD site

me thinks he wanted a scoop so badly and when he couldn't find that 2nd source he went ahead with this story.

hydro
08-19-2011, 08:36 AM
First, unless he (Moran) was there, or he knows someone in border patrol, he has no idea what went on. To say that you KNOW the stop wasn't routine is idiotic. You don't KNOW anything.
Second, if it is someone in border patrol, I hope someone exposes them and they lose their job.

Also, to report that it's not against the law to have steroids in your possession is completely false, unless they are prescribed to you. C'mon Pat, this entire situation reeks of hack.

Read my thread about steroids. The term steroids and PED's is used very loosely. There are plenty of things out there that can be considered steroids or PED's that are legal.

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 08:38 AM
My point is, Merriman wasn't arrested or charged, so why post a story about it? The only reason I can think of is to draw attention to yourself, which Pat states that he wasn't.
He's either a liar, or really, really stupid.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
His source is none other than, Joe Logan

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Read my thread about steroids. The term steroids and PED's is used very loosely. There are plenty of things out there that can be considered steroids or PED's that are legal.

So if they're legal, what's the story, and why does it need to be published? I re-read the article, and he reiterates that it was legal, no one was arrested and no one was hurt, so what's to report?

This just seems like unnecessary heat on a player, which the NFL and other officials will now be monitoring closely.

hydro
08-19-2011, 08:49 AM
So if they're legal, what's the story, and why does it need to be published? I re-read the article, and he reiterates that it was legal, no one was arrested and no one was hurt, so what's to report?

This just seems like unnecessary heat on a player, which the NFL and other officials will now be monitoring closely.

Just because they are legal doesn't mean it wouldn't show up in a NFL drug test...

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Hydro, the story wasn't about Merriman testing positive. It was a story with the sole purpose of drawing attention to the guy reporting it.

hydro
08-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Hydro, the story wasn't about Merriman testing positive. It was a story with the sole purpose of drawing attention to the guy reporting it.

I know it wasn't about Merriman testing positive. The story was that Merriman had PED's on him. Everyone is hung up on the fact that he didn't get arrested so he must not have had PED's. THERE ARE LEGAL PED's!!!!

dannyek71
08-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Again, what solid EVIDENCE does Pat have?

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:01 AM

That is his main problem. There are no details on that which is what is really hurting him right now. I am just trying to clear some misconceptions out there.

dannyek71
08-19-2011, 09:04 AM
That is his main problem. There are no details on that which is what is really hurting him right now. I am just trying to clear some misconceptions out there.

If he said "Based on evidence A, B, C, etc.... I came to this conclusion" that might be a bit different. Big allegations require big evidence to back them up.

Additionally, I also have trouble believing he is a real Bills fan after this.

malvado78
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
And it is probably pretty tough for Pat to obtain a sample of Merriman's urine...

Maybe the is the what the tweet to Merriman of "I need to talk to you" is about.

:laughing:

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
And it is probably pretty tough obtain a sample of Merriman's urine...

He is going to have to serve as a towel boy in the men's bathroom at RWS for the rest of training camp I suppose!

BloFan4Life
08-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Wait, so there are people out there still trying to defend Pat Moran?!?! He continues to throw out crap, lies left and right and just uses old info to rewrite stories to get hits on his site.

justasportsfan
08-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Moran continues to dig a deeper hole for himself if thats even possible. If I were Shawne I wouldn't even waste a spit on Morans request to contact him.

Jan Reimers
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I think Pat and a lot of other bloggers are sometimes guilty of being overly sensational, in order to get the big scoop or breakthrough. Had he just run as factual an account as possible about Merriman being stopped by customs, it would have been fine.

But by pumping it up to indicate that a big story was coming, when he apparently didn't have all the facts, takes this out of the category of sound journalism.

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I think Pat and a lot of other bloggers are sometimes guilty of being overly sensational, in order to get the big scoop or breakthrough. Had he just run as factual an account as possible about Merriman being stopped by customs, it would have been fine.

But by pumping it up to indicate that a big story was coming, when he apparently didn't have all the facts, takes this out of the category of sound journalism.

This is the main reason why he needs to steer away from breaking stories/rumors. He just isn't cut out for it.

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I know it wasn't about Merriman testing positive. The story was that Merriman had PED's on him. Everyone is hung up on the fact that he didn't get arrested so he must not have had PED's. THERE ARE LEGAL PED's!!!!

You are missing the point. If he didn't break the law, then what's the point of writing a story about it? He's drawing attention to himself, and to Merriman. He's an idiot.

kishoph
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking that he saw this story http://www.spotrac.com/blog/?tag=canadian-border and thought that since he didn't see anyone reporting on it, he was gonna "scoop" it and beat everyone to the punch. But common sense should of shown that if no one reported on something that supposedly happened 3 weeks prior, that there was no substance to it. At least that what I thought right away, someone would of picked up the story within 3 weeks.

justasportsfan
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
This is the main reason why he needs to steer away from breaking stories/rumors. He just isn't cut out for it.

He only needs to hit on one MAJOR breaking story for him to get noticed inspite of all his past failures.

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
You are missing the point. If he didn't break the law, then what's the point of writing a story about it? He's drawing attention to himself, and to Merriman. He's an idiot.

No I believe you are missing the point. But I can't explain it any clearer than this. I am not defending Pat, just clearing up that just because Merriman wasn't caught with illegal PED's doesn't mean he is in the clear with the NFL. It is quite possible he came over with legal PED's that officials couldn't do anything about. The only way he gets in trouble is if they are found in a urine sample provided to the NFL. Whether that happens is yet to be seen.

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
He only needs to hit on one MAJOR breaking story for him to get noticed inspite of all his past failures.

True but how much longer can his site last until that big one breaks! It isn't cheap running a site! :rofl:

acehole
08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
My point is, Merriman wasn't arrested or charged, so why post a story about it? The only reason I can think of is to draw attention to yourself, which Pat states that he wasn't.

jesus I hate these guys who draw attention to themselves with these breaking stories and predictions....
:shy:

Ickybaluky
08-19-2011, 09:46 AM
And it is probably pretty tough for Pat to obtain a sample of Merriman's urine...

Now THAT needs a BillsZone cartoon...

justasportsfan
08-19-2011, 10:13 AM
True but how much longer can his site last until that big one breaks! It isn't cheap running a site! :rofl:
Don't know what his finances are. I really hoped that Moran could have been a reliable source of info.

What Moran doesn't realize is that we can be given false info about WOMD from "reliable sources". He's nobody special that he is exempt from that.

Moran obviously wants to be noticed. Problem is at what extent. He doesn't need to apologize for the Merriman thing but he didn't even say anything to take back what he said about his kid.That was just plain wrong.

TacklingDummy
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Donte Whitner was his source.
He want's to make Moran look bad.

Beebe's Kid
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/shawne-merriman.png

TacklingDummy
08-19-2011, 10:44 AM
What's "DM"?

And I hate when people capitalize words. It doesn't make what they say any more important.

hydro
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
What's "DM"?

And I hate when people capitalize words. It doesn't make what they say any more important.
Direct Message, twitter lingo or the same as private message on this board.

trapezeus
08-19-2011, 10:46 AM
what i don't get about this whole thing is Pat's article. he wrote it without very much substance to it. and claimed it was a big breaking story. but the Bills and the NFL haven't said anything about it. it's just a story on the wire at this point.

it's annoying that pat said it's a big breaking story without more detail and the fact it didn't lead to what he said it was going to be was irritating.

however, merriman's denial in and of itself doesn't clear merriman. i have a feeling we are going to have to hang on to this for a few more days or weeks before its sorted out.

Mr. Miyagi
08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow we're seeing our very own Pat Moran's sports reporting career disintegrate right in front of our eyes.

Ickybaluky
08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I think Pat has less chance of getting a follow from Shawne Merriman than Tila Tequila.

BillsWin
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I won't say anything on the topic of Moran because I have been there before. I've misquoted and stood behind sources that have been questioned.

That being said, he may have used the wrong terminology when he said he "knows" something went down. You don't "know" unless you were there. You can quote sources as knowing and you can quote their credibility. But never say you know for a fact something went down unless you're there. I've made that mistake. It's hard to cover you're ass when you do that.

I've done it on the radio and I've done it in a newspaper. It can get ugly.

Good luck riding out the storm Moran. I support you and your website.

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
No I believe you are missing the point. But I can't explain it any clearer than this. I am not defending Pat, just clearing up that just because Merriman wasn't caught with illegal PED's doesn't mean he is in the clear with the NFL. It is quite possible he came over with legal PED's that officials couldn't do anything about. The only way he gets in trouble is if they are found in a urine sample provided to the NFL. Whether that happens is yet to be seen.

And I can't make my point any clearer. Why break a story where there really isn't a story?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just asking why bother making a huge deal out of nothing?

hydro
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
And I can't make my point any clearer. Why break a story where there really isn't a story?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just asking why bother making a huge deal out of nothing?

There is a story if he had PED's but nothing could be done about it because they weren't illegal. Problem is Pat hasn't done a very good job of making the story credible if that is the case.

Blogabills
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

I couldn't agree more. When I decided to start writing my blog, I knew I would stay far, far away from breaking news or anything like that. The big boys have the sources to verify that info. If you don't, don't even bother.

Traffic-chasing nonsense.

Lone Stranger
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM

I have seen this tendency in Pat's reporting and, as we all know, he stretches a story. I had begun to pretty much discount his stories but this puts an end to it. If he isn't done, he 's got a long road back to respectability.

ParanoidAndroid
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM

They are not corticosteroids if they are legal without prescription, that much is certain.
If he meant PED's, then he should retract/correct.
Did he have a bottle of 5 hour energy for his trip? That's a PED.

BigZ
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM

I don't know.....right about now Merriman would probably piss on Pat if he saw him on the street!

hydro
08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
They are not corticosteroids if they are legal without prescription, that much is certain.
Ok, not sure what the point of this is?

If he meant PED's, then he should retract/correct.
PED's... steroids... same thing. Performance Enhancing Drugs is a very broad term that essentially includes steroids. There is nothing to retract or correct.

better days
08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Or both.

BertSquirtgum
08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
There is a story if he had PED's but nothing could be done about it because they weren't illegal. Problem is Pat hasn't done a very good job of making the story credible if that is the case.

that is not a story.

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Ok, not sure what the point of this is?

PED's... steroids... same thing. Performance Enhancing Drugs is a very broad term that essentially includes steroids. There is nothing to retract or correct.
But Pat said steroids (unless I am mistaken) not PEDs.

Steroids are PEDs. Not all PEDs are steriods.

By throwing 'roids out there it changes the story (and also eliminates HGH)

better days
08-19-2011, 12:18 PM

The point is if they are legal, then there is no story. The nfl allows some ped's & not others, they have a long list of what is allowed & what isn't. Merriman said NOTHING was confiscated from him.

hydro
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
But Pat said steroids (unless I am mistaken) not PEDs.

Steroids are PEDs. Not all PEDs are steriods.

By throwing 'roids out there it changes the story (and also eliminates HGH)

I am having a hard time getting my point across for some reason but everyone needs to read this thread again...

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=204775

hydro
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
The point is if they are legal, then there is no story. The nfl allows some ped's & not others, they have a long list of what is allowed & what isn't. Merriman said NOTHING was confiscated from him.

My point was that it's a story if he had a legal steroid that would show up in a NFL drug test. That is possible.

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I am having a hard time getting my point across for some reason but everyone needs to read this thread again...

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=204775
I got your point.

I am just trying to point out that your point could be irrelevant with the way Pat reported it.

better days
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
My point was that it's a story if he had a legal steroid that would show up in a NFL drug test. That is possible.

As I said the NFL allows many PED's. It was not & is not a story or the REAL media would have picked up on it long ago. EVERYONE gets stopped at the border & questioned, MANY are searched. There is NO STORY if nothing was found & that is the case, nothing was found.

hydro
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I got your point.

I am just trying to point out that your point could be irrelevant with the way Pat reported it.

How so? Pat reported that Merriman was found with steriods. He reported they weren't illegal. There is a such thing as steroids that aren't illegal. I linked an example in that thread above. If you read the description of it on the website it is considered a steroid.

That product I linked isn't prednisone or an inhaler. It boosts testosterone and helps build muscle. It is a steroid that quite possibly could be detected in an NFL drug test. Not saying he could have had that exact product there are probably plenty like it out there but it is quite possible something like that could have been in his possession.

I am not trying to save Pat Moran. Just trying to educate people. I knew people in college that were really into this crap so I have read up on it to make sure I knew they weren't hurting themselves.

Meathead
08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
again, if merriman god forbid is suspended for the season as a result of this incident nobody will remember or care that pat said steroids instead of whatever it was that caused the suspension. he will get just as much journalistic cred for being the one to break the story. god i hope hes wrong but thats just a fact

better days
08-19-2011, 12:45 PM

My point is even if he did have a legal drug, how do you know it was not a drug approved by the NFL as many are.

Pat was trying to ignite a firestorm that would get the NFL to suspend Merriman so he could make a name for himself, nothing more.

hydro
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
My point is even if he did have a legal drug, how do you know it was not a drug approved by the NFL as many are.

Pat was trying to ignite a firestorm that would get the NFL to suspend Merriman so he could make a name for himself, nothing more.

I don't know. Just making it well know that is a possibility. There is no definitive evidence for anyone to stand on right now. Just throwing it out there.

theanswer74
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/shawne-merriman.png
lol, this is how he tried to contact him? Through a tweet? lol, what is wrong with this guy.

John Doe
08-19-2011, 01:02 PM
What we definately know so far:

Merriman was supposedly caught with a legal substance that may or may not be against the NFL's drug policy.

Looks like we don't know too much.

better days
08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't know. Just making it well know that is a possibility. There is no definitive evidence for anyone to stand on right now. Just throwing it out there.

Well, that is exactly what Moran did, he just threw something out there in the hope it sticks & he can make a name for himself at the expense of another person & the entire Buffalo Bills team.

hydro
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, that is exactly what Moran did, he just threw something out there in the hope it sticks & he can make a name for himself at the expense of another person & the entire Buffalo Bills team.

Agreed. The only thing that lends any credence to his article is if Merriman fails a NFL drug test. Doubt that is going to happen.

BertSquirtgum
08-19-2011, 01:15 PM
How so? Pat reported that Merriman was found with steriods. He reported they weren't illegal. There is a such thing as steroids that aren't illegal. I linked an example in that thread above. If you read the description of it on the website it is considered a steroid.

That product I linked isn't prednisone or an inhaler. It boosts testosterone and helps build muscle. It is a steroid that quite possibly could be detected in an NFL drug test. Not saying he could have had that exact product there are probably plenty like it out there but it is quite possible something like that could have been in his possession.

I am not trying to save Pat Moran. Just trying to educate people. I knew people in college that were really into this crap so I have read up on it to make sure I knew they weren't hurting themselves.

give it up. no one cares. we want merrimen to crush tom brady.

hydro
08-19-2011, 01:28 PM
give it up. no one cares. we want merrimen to crush tom brady.

There is nothing to give up. I made my point. Some might not still understand but whatever. I hope nothing comes of this story, Pat learns a lesson, and Merriman has a breakout season.

jpdex12
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
give it up. no one cares. we want merrimen to crush tom brady.Hurkey, you've got to put Epic Boobs back up...I miss that picture of beauty!

Nighthawk
08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
The only point that should be understood is that Pat Moran has never been a reporter or a good source of information. He is living to find a story that will make a career for himself and he's failed miserably...AGAIN! I'm sorry, these so-called "reporters" or "experts" on these boards really need to relax and understand their place...they're fans, nothing more, nothing less. Pat has shown this to be true...once again!

Cntrygal
08-19-2011, 03:09 PM
lol, this is how he tried to contact him? Through a tweet? lol, what is wrong with this guy.

It's how the younger generation first attempts (I'm not saying I'm old!!!), to communicates.

:sigh:

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I know it wasn't about Merriman testing positive. The story was that Merriman had PED's on him. Everyone is hung up on the fact that he didn't get arrested so he must not have had PED's. THERE ARE LEGAL PED's!!!!How do you know he had PED's on him? where is your proof? Link please.

THATHURMANATOR
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
CHARLES IS RIGHT

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
We do seriously need him to get BZ off his website. I don't feel right with that

Novacane
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Moran is not going to be happy until an NFL player really does fight him.

Dr. Lecter
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
It's how the younger generation first attempts (I'm not saying I'm old!!!), to communicates.

:sigh:
I can attest that you are quite youthful!

THATHURMANATOR
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Did you see Morans attempt to contact Merriman by tweet. He sounded like a mental patient. I just can't believe Merriman didn't get back to him right away... :shakeno: Did Pat actually think he would respond to him????

@PatrickMoranBSD
Patrick Moran @shawnemerriman I REALLY need to talk to you, it's VERY important (and I'm not a "fan).. Follow me real quick so I can DM you.

RandolphDuke
08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Did you see Morans attempt to contact Merriman by tweet. He sounded like a mental patient. I just can't believe Merriman didn't get back to him right away... :shakeno: Did Pat actually think he would respond to him????

@PatrickMoranBSD
Patrick Moran @shawnemerriman I REALLY need to talk to you, it's VERY important (and I'm not a "fan).. Follow me real quick so I can DM you.
Sad. Pathetic. Hysterical.

I bet he has a cape with a giant "J" on it and he wears it pretending to be JOURNALISM MAN when no one is looking.

BertSquirtgum
08-19-2011, 04:17 PM
The only point that should be understood is that Pat Moran has never been a reporter or a good source of information. He is living to find a story that will make a career for himself and he's failed miserably...AGAIN! I'm sorry, these so-called "reporters" or "experts" on these boards really need to relax and understand their place...they're fans, nothing more, nothing less. Pat has shown this to be true...once again!
I don't think a true Bills fan could be the one to break this story. Pat is definitely not a Bills fan. If it was me, regardless of what i felt my job was, i could not have been the first one to spread the word on this situation, even if it was true.

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Moran is not going to be happy until an NFL player really does fight him. He misses Donte Whitner. :laughing:

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Can we just agree he was a journalistic jackass for what he did? Defend him all you want, but the dude seriously put Merriman in a bad spotlight nationally. Bills fan or not, with no FACTS, screw him.

hydro
08-19-2011, 05:24 PM
How do you know he had PED's on him? where is your proof? Link please.

Sorry if you have a reading comprehension problem but no where in that post you quoted did i say he had PEDs.

Extremebillsfan247
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Sorry if you have a reading comprehension problem but no where in that post you quoted did i say he had PEDs.Is that not the basis of your argument? not the reason your defending Pat Moran? If not, then I'm mistaken. Apologies for the misunderstanding if so.

alohabillsfan
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned for LIFE!

alohabillsfan
08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
As far as Im concerned he can go live with Casey Anthony and Steve Bartman

Cntrygal
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I can attest that you are quite youthful!

:crush:

shawn
08-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Eklund is more credible than Pat Moran

better days
08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Yup, just looked it up, and he is standing by it.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/
What I won’t do, at all costs is retract a single word I wrote. I stand by my story, the source and won’t apologize, even if it’s clearly something no Bills fan wanted to hear.
Did I not expect a firm denial after the story was published? I’m not the brightest bulb in the world, but come on.
I’ve read an exuberant amount of complaints saying I made this story up out of the blue sky.
Simply put—- that’s preposterous.

Apparently not...

Chris Thomas, the late GREAT morning man on 620 WDAE Tampa, always called people that were less than honorable "RAT BASTARD" Well I can hear him in my head right now........"Pat Moran-You RAT BASTARD".

Pat claims he spoke to several members of the mainstream media before running with this story, implying he had the tacit blessing from at least one of them for doing so. Well, I am calling TOTAL BS on that. I can not believe a single member of the REAL media advised him to run with this.

IMO he did this because he had NOTHING to lose & EVERYTHING to gain. He did not care if he harmed Merriman or the Bills with his accusations true or false, all that mattered to him was if can he benefit himself.

He had no credibility to begin with so to have that thrown in his face is like water off a ducks back. On the other hand, if some of the MUD he slung were to stick to Merriman, well now he has something to put on a resume to craft a career.

If even one person from the REAL media that "supposedly advised" Pat to run with this story comes to his defense PUBLICLY, I will retract everything I have said about him & issue him a full unequivical appology.

I will not hold my breath.

My final thought, Pat Moran also claimed to be a Bills fan, well to that I will say what Chris Thomas used to tell people..........."Pat Moran-KISS MY SCRAWNY IRISH ASS".

Meathead
08-19-2011, 06:30 PM
if woodward loved america he would have kept his big mouth shut about mitchell, dean, and libby

Syderick
08-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Well it looks like his story went nowhere

better days
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
if woodward loved america he would have kept his big mouth shut about mitchell, dean, and libby

WHY? It is one thing to leak the truth to reporters, it is another thing altogether for a WANNA BE HACK to ASSASSINATE an innocent persons reputation.

Woodward was an honorable man, Pat Moran is a dishonorable RAT BASTARD.

If Pat were a true journalist who did not have access to Merriman, he should have gone to the Bills PR office, Russ Brandon & told him-"I have this information about Merriman from a source I trust. I plan to run with this story at this time unless I hear a denial from Shawn before I do. Just as Woodward went to the Presidents office before running with his story.

Instead Moran tells Merriman to follow him on twitter. REAL PROFESSIONAL Pat. Yeah that will get you a job in the media or any respect for you or your site Pat LOL.

The Spaz
08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Pat Moran you dumb bastard....

tampabay25690
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
On Sirius today a Buffalo caller called in and talked about a wanna be reporter giving false info about the Buffalo Bills....

tatersalad
08-19-2011, 07:15 PM
all publicty is good publicity he has his name mentioned all over buffalo so who really wins?

The Spaz
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Merriman should sue for slander...

hydro
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Is that not the basis of your argument? not the reason your defending Pat Moran? If not, then I'm mistaken. Apologies for the misunderstanding if so.

The posts might have been in another thread. But I have posted a few times today saying that I am not defending Pat at all.

BillsWin
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM

I don't think he can prove malicious intent.

better days
08-19-2011, 07:27 PM

It is very difficult for a Public person to sue for slander because they have to meet a higher standard than the everyday person. They have to prove malicous intent.

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 08:10 PM
all publicty is good publicity he has his name mentioned all over buffalo so who really wins?

The fans who called his pointless article and his downfall win. His publicity as a jackass wins if you're trying to stick up for him. Did I miss anything?

Meathead
08-19-2011, 08:14 PM
at least now we are down to the semantics of the journalistic process

sal is right that a good source with bad intel can still be a good source. its up to the investigator to, well, investigate and confirm what that source gave him

right now it appears most likely that pat executed that part poorly, and if so his rep and thus career will pay dearly, but thats still pure speculation

Pat Moran is a dishonorable RAT BASTARD.

you dont know that. its slowly looking worse and worse for pat but history is chock full of situations like this that looked real real bad for the reporter only to dramatically change later. hes definitely ALL-IN at this point, and it seems he is about to be dealt the river

i actually hope pat IS a RAT BASTARD. not that i want to wish upon him being a RAT BASTARD, for his personal sake id rather he wasnt, but if hes already going to be a RAT BASTARD then id rather have it not affect my favorite team who is desperate for the roidinator to have a good season. i didnt make the choice to publish that info so if it does turn out hes a RAT BASTARD then thats on him not me. i just refuse to jump to conclusions cuz i know the damage it causes me and others

again, the journalistic process HAS to be followed. thats one issue. whether pat properly followed that process is another completely different issue entirely. it appears obvious to me that many people are confusing these two related but separate issues

better days
08-19-2011, 08:16 PM
The posts might have been in another thread. But I have posted a few times today saying that I am not defending Pat at all.

You thanked post #82 which did try to defend Pat, I guess you belong to the Pat Moran school.

THATHURMANATOR
08-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Hydro is right

Coach Sal
08-19-2011, 08:27 PM

sal is right that a good source with bad intel can still be a good source. its up to the investigator to, well, investigate and confirm what that source gave him

right now it appears most likely that pat executed that part poorly, and if so his rep and thus career will pay dearly, but thats still pure speculation

again, the journalistic process HAS to be followed. thats one issue. whether pat properly followed that process is another completely different issue entirely. it appears obvious to me that many people are confusing these two related but separate issues

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

From reading through these threads, it appears to come down to this:

--Some people believe Pat made up the story completely for his own gain.
--Some people believe Pat trusted the wrong person and didn't handle the info/investigation right before releasing it.

Maybe there's a few other "some people believe" in there, but I think those are the two primary thoughts here.

better days
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM

you dont know that. its slowly looking worse and worse for pat but history is chock full of situations like this that looked real real bad for the reporter only to dramatically change later. hes definitely ALL-IN at this point, and it seems he is about to be dealt the river

i actually hope pat IS a RAT BASTARD. not that i want to wish upon him being a RAT BASTARD, for his personal sake id rather he wasnt, but if hes already going to be a RAT BASTARD then id rather have it not affect my favorite team who is desperate for the roidinator to have a good season. i didnt make the choice to publish that info so if it does turn out hes a RAT BASTARD then thats on him not me. i just refuse to jump to conclusions cuz i know the damage it causes me and others

Well, this is a message board, not a blog or mainstream news. Pat Moran did not follow the journalistic process at all however. If he had, he would have

#1) CONFIRMED his source with a different INDEPENDENT source.

#2) Offered Merriman & the Bills an opportunity to deny & respond to his accusations through normal channels rather than to tell Merriman to follow him on twitter.

#3) Provide proof that his accusations are true.

#4) Had he done the first 3 he would not have run with this story.

ServoBillieves
08-19-2011, 08:42 PM

The fans who called his pointless article and his downfall win. His publicity as a jackass wins if you're trying to stick up for him. Did I miss anything?

Coach Sal
08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
The biggest reason I think this happened/happens to Pat is because I think he considers other media members he knows and/or emails/converses with "sources." They aren't. They are "resources."

This has happened to him before. He reported on a story and included the word "source" (which, I believe, he uses far too loosely and far too often anyway). After a while it came out that his "source" was another member of the media passing to him what he had heard. That's an awfully large leap to make to then publish the info, but an even bigger leap to call that person the "source" for the purpose of your story.

I'm not saying it happened here. I have no idea. But the point is other media members are NOT sources. They are just re-sources to use to gather extra info they may have that you don't to help build your story and facts.

hydro
08-19-2011, 09:11 PM
You thanked post #82 which did try to defend Pat, I guess you belong to the Pat Moran school.

So now we are investigating who is defending Pat? Stop with the useless accusations. If you read every post i made today you would see that i am definitely not defending him.

DraftBoy
08-19-2011, 10:47 PM
This happens a lot in journalism, blogs, twitter what have you. Im not going to dive into the journalistic questions that clearly exist. Pat made a call, it appears as of now to be the wrong one.

It happens and he's taken his beating for it. People are going to believe what they want to believe about Pat, about this story, and about everything. I just hope that with the close of tonight we can begin to move on...after all there is a game on tomorrow night.

Crisis
08-19-2011, 11:06 PM
can we start adjusting the eklund scale to patmoran's?

merriman caught with steroids (p4)

fitzpatrick mugs 9 year old (p3)

jasper devours fetus (p5)

better days
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
So now we are investigating who is defending Pat? Stop with the useless accusations. If you read every post i made today you would see that i am definitely not defending him.

I have read all of your posts. In some you definitely defend him, some are denials of your defending him.

BertSquirtgum
08-20-2011, 12:39 AM
for my drunken night cap, i will say this.........you are an ass hat pat. i used to like reading some of the articles you posted here. now, i just feel bad for you, i truly do. how could you be so ignorant?

HAMMER
08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Let's move on, we all make mistakes.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-20-2011, 02:21 AM
A Moran being a moron

Bravo82
08-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Get a brain Moran :mad::mad::mad:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/NoobYxxGuY/getabrain.jpg

YardRat
08-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Well, Jim Rome was a nobody until he called Jim Everett "Chris" several times in a sit-down interview and things got physical.

chernobylwraiths
08-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Well, Jim Rome was a nobody until he called Jim Everett "Chris" several times in a sit-down interview and things got physical.

You really can't call a guy who had his own show on ESPN a nobody.

YardRat
08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
You really can't call a guy who had his own show on ESPN a nobody.

It was ESPN2, and two years prior to his radio show becoming syndicated. If anybody really knew anything about Rome prior to that incident, they are few and far between.

YardRat
08-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Just a side note...if anything actually does come of this incident, pat is going to be able to laugh his ass off, and rightfully so.