PDA

View Full Version : Lee fitting in

lmcshadow
08-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Seems like Lee learned how to do a little route running. Did we make a mistake on him??

Link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-0820-20110819,0,727696.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+baltimoresun%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Frss2+%28+Ravens%2FFootball%29

BertSquirtgum
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
are you kidding me? of course the Bills made a mistake getting rid of Lee for a 4th round pick.

better days
08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Seems like Lee learned how to do a little route running. Did we make a mistake on him??

Link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-0820-20110819,0,727696.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+baltimoresun%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Frss2+%28+Ravens%2FFootball%29

Yeah, I posted about this in another thread. Any Bills fan that is happy the Bills traded Evans for a 4th better think again.

And to all the people that called Evans a one trick pony, 3 receptions on 3 DIFFERENT routes including a slant, that blows your argument for trading Evans out of the water.

Philagape
08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Trent Edwards ruled the preseason too. Maybe because defenses don't game plan.

better days
08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Trent Edwards ruled the preseason too. Maybe because defenses don't game plan.

So you are comparing Lee to Trent? Seriously? Preseason, just a preview of things to come. Keep posting about how bad Evans is so I can throw it in your face during the season.

Philagape
08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I posted about this in another thread. Any Bills fan that is happy the Bills traded Evans for a 4th better think again.

And to all the people that called Evans a one trick pony, 3 receptions on 3 DIFFERENT routes including a slant, that blows your argument for trading Evans out of the water.

Are you seriously using one half of one preseason game to make any kind of an argument? Really??
Do you think when people call Evans a one-trick pony, they mean he literally NEVER EVER runs a different route?

Philagape
08-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Preseason, just a preview of things to come.

This is why I brought up Trent. Is preseason typically a preview of things to come? Do preseason game conditions remain in the regular season? Do the same players who make plays in the preseason do it in the regular season too?

better days
08-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Are you seriously using one half of one preseason game to make any kind of an argument? Really??
Do you think when people call Evans a one-trick pony, they mean he literally NEVER EVER runs a different route?

Many of them yes, I do believe that is what they thought. So you are saying Evans is capable of running other routes, but the Bills did not ask him to. OK that is what I said as well.

One half of a preseason game on a team that Evans was only a part of for SIX DAYS, very impresive start any way you look at it. If any player the Bills picked up played that way after only being on the team for 6 days, there would be 6 threads on this board about that player.

Night Train
08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Evans isn't DONE by any stretch but the Bills don't have a QB who can throw a consistent long ball.

Short passes with seperation in tight quarters isn't his game at all. Thus the low reception totals the past 2 years.

And we know $$ had plenty to do with it.

Philagape
08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Many of them yes, I do believe that is what they thought. So you are saying Evans is capable of running other routes, but the Bills did not ask him to. OK that is what I said as well.

Oh man, did you read that wrong.
Calling someone a one-trick pony means they can do one thing WELL. As in, when they do other things, they're not so good or consistent at it.

One half of a preseason game on a team that Evans was only a part of for SIX DAYS, very impresive start any way you look at it. If any player the Bills picked up played that way after only being on the team for 6 days, there would be 6 threads on this board about that player.

Because the board is full of homers.

Jeff1220
08-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm sure Evans will have a good season as a Raven, and I'm glad for him.

better days
08-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Oh man, did you read that wrong.
Calling someone a one-trick pony means they can do one thing WELL. As in, when they do other things, they're not so good or consistent at it.

Because the board is full of homers.

Well, I did not read it wrong. SARCASM.

Again are you comparing Lee to Trent?

Like I said wait until the season plays out. I just hope I don't throw something at my TV when I see Evans & Lynch lead their teams this season while the Bills got nothing for either of them.

BertSquirtgum
08-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Like I said wait until the season plays out. I just hope I don't throw something at my TV when I see Evans & Lynch lead their teams this season while the Bills got nothing for either of them.

you crazy? we got chris hairston. one word. championship.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Evans wanted to be dealt to a winner.

better days
08-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Evans wanted to be dealt to a winner.

Even if that were true, NO successful team GIVES its players away. If the Bills are ever going to have success they have to stop doing this.

Jan Reimers
08-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Lee is a very good receiver who will be able to showcase his considerable talents in a better offense in Baltimore.

Because he was a good player, teammate and mentor to our young receivers, I was very unhappy to see him go, particularly for a 4th. I think we made a big mistake.

I wish him the best in Baltimore.

wmoz11
08-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Watched him specifically last night. All 3 of his catches were for 1st down yards on 3rd down. He looked much better than Boldin, to be honest.

ddaryl
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM

THAT WAS THE MARKET....

Lee wasn't going to net us a 3rd or a 2nd or anything of the sort.. Better WR's had been traded for less over the last couple of years.

Lynch had obvious baggage and a strike against him.. he wasn't welcomed here anymore do to multiple off field issues... plain and simple

I hope Lee does well.... He was a good soldier.. but he was 1 dimensional.. Lee caught the occasional slant here to, the problem was he never did it with consistency. He caught the quick screens as well... but the last 2 years he only caught 37 rec, and 44 as our #1 WR and that kind of production from your #1 was piss poor...

I do think we should of kept him on board.. but he's gone so we move on.. Young WR's now get to prove what they're worth... Sure not going to get all miserable about it like some... and Johnson stepped up nicely when he finally got his opportunity.. We only need one of our WR's to step up and become a solid #2 out of Easley, Jones Roosevelt or Nelson.. Roosevelt looked solid in that 1st preseason game, but it was really hard to judge the other wr's do to the piss poor play of our 2nd and 3rd string QB's

ALSO to put things in perspective here

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/spo/2011/08/20-13/New-receiver-Evans-Ravens-sprint-by-Chiefs-31-13.html

Lee Evans sprinted into his pattern, immediately gaining separation from rookie cornerback Jalil Brown.

Philagape
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM

No, because that's not what the word compare means.
I was rebutting your premise, that if a player does well in preseason (in one game!), that's a sign he'll do well in the regular season. And I used your favorite example to do it.

lmcshadow
08-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I have always liked Evans. It seems sad to think that J.P was his only savior. As Ravens will see the speed is still there. It seems bad to wish him good luck..But his departure might help us bring in Luck..meaning Andrew..:air:

BuffaloBlitz83
08-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I expected a 3rd and 5th

better days
08-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Watched him specifically last night. All 3 of his catches were for 1st down yards on 3rd down. He looked much better than Boldin, to be honest.

And Bolden was with the Ravens last year so he should have chemistry with Flacco while Evans had only been there 6 days before that game.

ddaryl
08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I expected a 3rd and 5th

who was the last WR to be traded for at least this much.. ?

better days
08-20-2011, 11:09 AM
THAT WAS THE MARKET....

Lee wasn't going to net us a 3rd or a 2nd or anything of the sort.. Better WR's had been traded for less over the last couple of years.

Lynch had obvious baggage and a strike against him.. he wasn't welcomed here anymore do to multiple off field issues... plain and simple

I hope Lee does well.... He was a good soldier.. but he was 1 dimensional.. Lee caught the occasional slant here to, the problem was he never did it with consistency. He caught the quick screens as well... but the last 2 years he only caught 37 rec, and 44 as our #1 WR and that kind of production from your #1 was piss poor...

I do think we should of kept him on board.. but he's gone so we move on.. Young WR's now get to prove what they're worth... Sure not going to get all miserable about it like some... and Johnson stepped up nicely when he finally got his opportunity.. We only need one of our WR's to step up and become a solid #2 out of Easley, Jones Roosevelt or Nelson.. Roosevelt looked solid in that 1st preseason game, but it was really hard to judge the other wr's do to the piss poor play of our 2nd and 3rd string QB's

ALSO to put things in perspective here

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/spo/2011/08/20-13/New-receiver-Evans-Ravens-sprint-by-Chiefs-31-13.html

WORSE WR's were traded for MORE, just last year. If the market were not there the the Bills should not have made that trade. I would bet the farm they could have gotten at least a 4th rnd pick at the end of the season which will be the same draft this 4th rnd pick is for, & most likely they could have gotten more after Evans had a good year.

better days
08-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Well, Moss was stirring up **** in N.E. The Pats* WANTED to move him bad & every team in the league knew that. Moss was also far from the player he was the year before. Moss has very likely played his last game in the NFL. Evans has more than a few good years left in him. Still, the Pats* got a mid 3rd for him while the Bills settled on a LOW 4th for Evans. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-20-2011, 11:18 AM

I don't remember the last wr but I recall Jeremy Shockey going from NY to NO for that.

Roy Williams to Dallas went for a ****load more.

BertSquirtgum
08-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I do think we should of kept him on board.. but he's gone so we move on.. Young WR's now get to prove what they're worth...

sadly.....i feel they'll be worth nothing.....

YardRat
08-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I still think he asked to be moved. It would certainly explain the reports of him not doing much in camp.

Figster
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Evans isn't DONE by any stretch but the Bills don't have a QB who can throw a consistent long ball.

Short passes with seperation in tight quarters isn't his game at all. Thus the low reception totals the past 2 years.

And we know $$ had plenty to do with it.

the truth be told...

we are
08-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Again I ask...what will you guys say if our #2 puts up better numbers than Evans lSt year??

I know it's tough for you guys to comprehend, but this trade was good for both teams.

Figster
08-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Again I ask...what will you guys say if our #2 puts up better numbers than Evans lSt year??

I know it's tough for you guys to comprehend, but this trade was good for both teams.

The trade was good for all concerned in my opinion because its probably what Lee Evans wanted, and why the hell not,

Give's Lee a chance to reach the big Dance...

Ickybaluky
08-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Miami gave up 2 2nds for Brandon Marshall. Plus, they handed him a big contract.

Patriots got a 1st for Deion Branch, who also got a big contract. They gave a 4th up to get him back.

A lot of trades have contractual considerations. A lot of guys get traded because they are looking for new contracts.

better days
08-20-2011, 12:24 PM

It does not matter how well the Bills WR's do. This was a VERY GOOD trade for the Ravens & a VERY BAD one for the Bills.

It amazes me that people on this board rant & complain about how much money this or that player makes as if it makes the team worse because a player was over paid.

People are also quick to criticize & complain when a drafted player does not have a great rookie year as if that will define his career.

Yet MANY people on this board fail to understand that it is a HUGE LOSS to the team to trade a player away for less than his full value. It is exactly the same and weakens the team as much as drafting a player in the 1st 3 rnds & cutting him within a short time.

we are
08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
It does not matter how well the Bills WR's do. This was a VERY GOOD trade for the Ravens & a VERY BAD one for the Bills.

It amazes me that people on this board rant & complain about how much money this or that player makes as if it makes the team worse because a player was over paid.

People are also quick to criticize & complain when a drafted player does not have a great rookie year as if that will define his career.

Yet MANY people on this board fail to understand that it is a HUGE LOSS to the team to trade a player away for less than his full value. It is exactly the same and weakens the team as much as drafting a player in the 1st 3 rnds & cutting him within a short time.

Ok your first paragraph makes no sense. You're seriously saying if jones was to get 1000yds and 10 td's this year it was still a bad trade? (unlikely I know but you said no matter how good)

And your last paragraph is also stupid...we got 7 decent years out of lee and then traded him for something while he was very unproductive here. You're acting like it's the same as waiving maybin.

madness
08-20-2011, 01:16 PM
:rofl: He ran a slant, an out route and a fly route. Yep, that sounds about right for Evans.

2slowtogofast
08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Even if that were true, NO successful team GIVES its players away. If the Bills are ever going to have success they have to stop doing this.

second

Also I really liked Lee while he was here. However I almost hope he does not improve this season b/c that means 1.) We probally should have kept him. and 2.) Gailey and Co could't get him to his full potential

Fletch
08-20-2011, 02:20 PM
And your last paragraph is also stupid...we got 7 decent years out of lee and then traded him for something while he was very unproductive here. You're acting like it's the same as waiving maybin.

There's a reason why Evans was "unproductive" here and it has nothing to do with Lee Evans.

Enough fans support what's going on in Buffalo though, so honestly, do they really deserve better?

Extremebillsfan247
08-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-0820-20110819,0,727696.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+baltimoresun%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Frss2+%28+Ravens%2FFootball%29 I watched that game last night. Lee played very well. It took a little time for Flacco to take notice of him, but once Lee made that nice sideline grab, it was on from there. You could quickly see a confidence shift swinging in his direction. His best catch came on a 3rd and long. He had a nice over the shoulder catch as he got by his defender. That play eventually led to Baltimore's first TD. Playing next to Boldin, I'm expecting Lee to have a really good year. <- note to the fantasy football people. lol

As far as us making a mistake, time will tell, but I was not in favor of the trade. I don't think this receiving core is ready to be without a receiver of Evans caliber. We have to hope someone other than Stevie Johnson can step up and make a difference. The longer our 1st team offense goes without putting together a TD drive in preseason, the more I'll be worried about the post Lee Evans era. JMO

better days
08-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Ok your first paragraph makes no sense. You're seriously saying if jones was to get 1000yds and 10 td's this year it was still a bad trade? (unlikely I know but you said no matter how good)

OK I know it is hard for you to comprehend but to trade a VERY GOOD PLAYER for next to nothing is a BAD TRADE, no matter how many good players the team has at that position.

When you have an asset you no longer need or want, you do not give it away for nothing, you trade it for another asset of equal or greater value. Why is that so hard to grasp?

better days
08-20-2011, 10:05 PM
:rofl: He ran a slant, an out route and a fly route. Yep, that sounds about right for Evans.

He put up more yards than the rest of the offense combined. Yep, that sounds about right for Evans.

Mike
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Many of them yes, Actually NO. There is NOT ONE WR in the History of the NFL that only Ran 1 route his whole career. There is also NOT ONE WR who has been in the NFL as long as LEE that has ONLY CAUGHT PASSES RUNNING ONE ROUTE.

I do believe that is what they thought. So you are saying Evans is capable of running other routes, but the Bills did not ask him to. OK that is what I said as well.
How do you know what the Bills asked him to do? Were you there in team meeting, game planning, on the sidelines on sundays?

DraftBoy
08-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Ill never understand Bills fans fascination with keeping tabs on former players.

Lee is a Raven now, out of sight, out of mind.

Best of luck to him, but Im not concerned with what he is doing in Baltimore right now.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Willis McGahee scored 2 TDs against us...maybe we should kept him.

justasportsfan
08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
we sure missed Lee last night. Would've felt more secure if we had him and I'm sure Fitz feels the same.

On the flip side, nice to see Easely get more snaps. Time to see what he has

better days
08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Actually NO. There is NOT ONE WR in the History of the NFL that only Ran 1 route his whole career. There is also NOT ONE WR who has been in the NFL as long as LEE that has ONLY CAUGHT PASSES RUNNING ONE ROUTE.

How do you know what the Bills asked him to do? Were you there in team meeting, game planning, on the sidelines on sundays?

All one had to do is WATCH the games to see how Evans was used last year by the Bills & how much he was thrown to. I think a number of people on this board look at the stats sheet but do not watch the games.